Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

curried lamb of God posted:

Holy poo poo that LMP2 ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

spaceblancmange posted:

How much 4 wheel stuff has Rossi done? I remember him dipping his toes in GT3s about 10 years ago

He did GT World Challenge Europe last year and was solidly okay at it

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I thought they called him a gold last year, he was in the all-pro class

Edit: Wow yeah he was silver or they bumped him to silver this year

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 3, 2023

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
5 second street cars yeeeeeesh

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm gonna be following everyone's favorite giraffe and his coverage, and probably KSR's

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If you haven't watched Formula E from India today you owe it to yourself to watch it, it's an absolute banger.

VPN to the UK and go to the Channel 4 Sport YouTube channel and you can find the no commerical international feed there.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
She Sells Sanctuary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Misc. Auto Racing 2024: cramming it into H even harder

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm in a 6-day class for Sebring, gonna miss most of both races :negative:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
LM's been sold out for at least a month now. It's gonna be wiiiild

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Better go around drinking at every corner just to be sure

Edit: very mad I am stuck in class Friday and Saturday

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Not *all* their championship points but they got put to the back in the championship, just behind the previous last place, and lost all their Michelin endurance cup points. So they're still in the hunt for the full season but in a hole. However that pretty much scuppers their endurance cup run, if they even cared about that.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The comms made a great point about the Toyotas, last year their pace was about the same as the rest of the field was today at Sebring. Their dominance today was simply 2 years of extra development on their car, as well as over a decade of constant participation in WEC providing unmatched experience.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Dames were on pace to win from pole but they had a mistake at turn 1 that tore the floor up and ripped the diffuser clean off.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Woof thats unlucky for that P3, getting the Conor Daly loose wheel treatment

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Don't forget the nurburgring 24 qualification races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFq3WlsVKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWImrS-k3wE

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

coconono posted:

They should do burnouts

They started allowing burnouts this year, the Hypercar tires don't even smoke they're so slippy when they're cold.

I wonder if scrubbing them in before the race would help at all

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

refleks posted:

Too be fair, the driver showed no real signs of urgency as his car became engulfed in flames...

The team was showing plenty of urgency in the garage, for sure

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Logan my beloved nooooo

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Two of the three Ferrari 296 GT3s in the race won their respective classes :psyduck:

First win for Ferrari overall, and one of only a small handful of victories by a non-German brand (the last one being a Chrysler Viper in the early 2000s, the other being Ford though that's debatable).

The 296 won one of the N24 qualifying races too so it wasn't its first win but first major endurance win for sure.

Also the "get rid of slower cars" take is probably the worst take in the history of takes. N24 is the last major endurance race that you can show up with a group of mates in a car you built and prepped yourselves and that gives the race an entirely unique and wonderful character and to turn that into a race for only off the shelf customer cars would be a terrible loss for the sport.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 21, 2023

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

spaceblancmange posted:

had no idea the NASCAR was going to be that quick

To be fair it's pretty far from a stock nascar, but it is definitely rapid, and I love it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Early on in the week, they had a 2" larger spoiler on and were actually slower than the GTEs on the straights, they've since gotten permission from race control to trim out a bit and put a smaller spoiler on the car to reduce drag.

It's crazy all the work they've done to reduce weight and improve handling.

Lighter (but wider) wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, thinner body panels, thinner steel on the front and rear clips (since it doesn't need to be as robust in a crash vs on an oval with multiple impacts expected), engine is lower and further back, 2" longer splitter, longer and more diffuser strakes, canards front and rear, paddle shifting, traction control, a pit/fcy limiter.

It's wild and I love it so much

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Motortrend+ will have the WEC Official feed it seems. That's the best bet for Americans. It'll also be on TV on MotorTrend but it'll most likely have commercials.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Xisticide posted:

As far as I remember having barely slept all week:

LMH (Le Mans Hypercar) is the spec drawn up by the FIA/ACO where basically you build whatever the hell you want and as long as it hits the downforce level, drag coefficient and other assorted performance targets it’s allowed, that’s why you have the wingless Peugeot, it meets the downforce target from the floor alone.

These were originally all going to be hybrid but Aston Martin kicked off about wanting to bring the Valkyrie to race, got the rules changed, forgot to make cars people could actually buy, went broke, got bought out and hosed off to F1. This opened the door for Glickenhaus and Vanwall.

LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid) (I think) is the spec drawn up by IMSA, basically the same idea as their last gen top class DPi (Daytona Prototype international). These were LMP2 cars with manufacturer specific engines and bodywork, so they would have the road car styling. The LMDh cars are based off what were expected to be the new LMP2 cars but they won’t be now since that class is getting the boot, they are all hybrids and all use the same off the shelf hybrid system.

Both organisations set the same performance targets and will test and homologate cars of either spec to run in their top class, although IMSA have an extra requirement that the manufacturer has to actively sell cars in the US.

The combined class in WEC is called Hypercar and in IMSA it’s GTP since that’s what the top class was called in the golden age the last time the same cars could run in both series (kinda).

This is correct.

The cars are LMDh and LMH, the classes are GTP in IMSA (which is made up of LMDh although the rules can allow for LMH too), and Hypercar in WEC (which encompasses both LMH and LMDh)

GTP is a nod to the old not-quite Group C regs that IMSA had in the 80s also called GTP

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's a pity that motorsport has the rights to it in the US, because I ain't giving them a fuckin cent.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

coconono posted:

How are they skating on slicks so much? Once they get warmed up they’re like thighs on leather couches. Unless you provide absurd amounts of force to them like a top fuel launch.

Calling Continental's IMSA race tires from that period 'good' is a significant stretch.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Glickenhaus still has to pay fines if he doesn't show for races, which is probably why the ACO continue to let him play. (also the political clout of having kept their fancy new class on life support for 2 years helps too)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah unfortunately motorsport.com had to ruin that like they ruin everything else

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Make a small fortune, start with big fortune, etc

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ultimately you just swipe your dentist's credit card to pay for the damages

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Might also be display cars, not actually the driving chassis

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dudley posted:

Yeah I was there two years ago, I got a picture with the 919"whatever they called the gently caress you version". They were clean then so they've clearly not been touched since.

For what it's worth, that's the Le Mans spec aero of the final year they ran in WEC, not the 919 Evo, which had no headlights (among other things)

And yeah that's definitely a show car, the opaque 'glass' is a dead giveaway

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Probably got it very cheap too. The Ligier is almost as good as the oreca (although tire development definitely went oreca's way) but it's hamstrung by it's Hewland gearbox, which has reliability issues compared to the oreca's xtrac

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And then there's these college kids that built a Formula Student EV that does 0-60 in .956 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvoFemftA34

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I need to buy a copy of wreckfest for my wife and I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have peacock for other reasons and I still won't watch IMSA (at least weathertech) on peacock. I'll always vpn for the international feed. Same with Indycar, I'd rather pay for the international feed than have the peacock feed with full screen ads that I already pay for.

The feeder series broadcasts are pretty good since they're dedicated on peacock.