Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NHRA Division 2 will be running the first event of the NHRA season~ Starts Friday 0800 EST.

the dragsters are back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYg21fW-DP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You know it’s drag race week when the cops are on your hotel floor more than you

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think the dude’s ok.

https://twitter.com/ratfacedmoonboy/status/1631816279261626371

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hey it’s the gator nationals. Please watch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here’s the tv schedules:
https://www.nhra.com/schedule/2023/nhra-camping-world-drag-racing-series/amalie-motor-oil-nhra-gatornationals#tab-event-schedule

You can also tune in via our NHRA.TV app which just relaunched and almost all of our divisional races are free to YouTube.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Take some good ear plugs and yes! It basically like a county fair except the cars explode on purpose.

Despite working around motorsports including drag racing for years I never really got into any of it but I’ve learned to love drag racing’s nuances. These dudes will take a beat up Chevy Nova and figure out how long it takes to move it 1320ft down to the thousandths of a second. That’s top poo poo engineering.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Man I feel like I spent 2 weeks at the drag races. *checks notes* oh poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HPD? Supercar racing has a secret police?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Now I wanna see people race copy machines

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Do those fences actually work?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The NHRA is in Phoenix this weekend and it’s another sellout, they even had multiple jetcar runs tonight. Fuckin love the jetcar.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the NHRA is at Pomona and I think John Force crashed real bad. I wasn't watching because this track requires a lot of network touchin.

e: oh dang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRa9CSSxHW8

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Today JR Todd blew up

https://youtu.be/DkvJgvIbmLs

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The race marshalls are volunteers? What a racket

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Idk it’s a place of business to me. You pay your workers one way or another.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Finger Prince posted:

What's a place business? The SCCA, BMMC, BARC, etc? I thought they were clubs.

Still biz to me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I do the work tho. But hey it’s all good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NHRA’s marshalls are called Safety Safari and it’s a paid position. It’s a lot of “if this isn’t done the event can’t happen” work. Stuff like coordinating parking for trailers, track prep, incident response. All one team. They don’t get paid enough. And the pay scales down considerably for the same position attached to tracks instead of the tours.

The only realistic solution I can see is getting the surrounding communities to accept motorsports parks into their hearts the way they do other types of sporting stadiums. Probably moreso because getting race cars off public roads saves lives.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WindyMan posted:

Local yellow at the 330ft marker

We need dudes spaced out along the track to run out and grab chunks of pistons and clutches that fly off.

A few years go in Dallas we had to tell fans repeatedly to throw trash into the bins because the safety guys were getting sick of chasing burger wrappers off the track.

Oh yeah, we're in Vegas for the 4wides. You wanna know what 4 top fuel dragsters sound like blowing their tires all at once? get your rear end to The Strip!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Allegedly we’re doing 4wides in Charlotte tomorrow. Right now we have a great quartet of slip’n’slides and other assorted rain related attractions. Come out and get wet, mlord?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Solved his Cadillac problem.

Speaking of solving problems, here’s the homie Matt Hagan putting it into the sand

https://m.facebook.com/NHRA/videos/matt-hagan-into-the-sand-in-charlotte/906394323751722/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They should do burnouts

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They started allowing burnouts this year, the Hypercar tires don't even smoke they're so slippy when they're cold.

I wonder if scrubbing them in before the race would help at all

gasoline really helps.

E: I'm serious those open wheels would be pretty conducive to gas burns. Probably safer.

coconono fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 30, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Today we put a motorcycle in the sand. I’ll post the vid when they get it up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It’s cleetermania tomorrow and you can watch it on cleetervision.

https://www.cleetusmcfarland.com/pages/cleetervision

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Some dude just concussed himself on his steering wheel and threw his fuel pump into the crowd. On a burnout contest.

Cleetus and Cars is some real hell yeah brother poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

here's a video from that cleetus guy. I'm hoping he's normal hell yeah brother and not a bad hell yeah brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xn9HODeDY

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Arcella posted:

Just don’t ask where he was Jan 6.

I actually saw a lot less trump merch at the Cleetus show than the NHRA. But even the trump stuff at NHRA is starting to go away. Florida, particularly loves that brandon guy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Am I gonna be disappointed if I Google Heiko Wasser?

The NHRA is at the historic Route 66 raceway built on the bones of our forefathers. Should be a good time if the spirits allow(this place be haunted yo).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’m the tire let loose and rambling down the road

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

He’s probably concussed a fair bit.

The car will buff out, it’ll be fine.

If you’re in Chicago come out to the Route 66 raceway. We have walking tacos!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mason Wright just flipped his promod car and set it on fire. He’s ok tho. Car might need some more gas.

I’d post the vid but I’m social media celibate right now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Today was the longest race day of forever. I feel for those 24 hour races.

Anyway, the NHRA.tv sub is real fun if you wanna get tires squeeling and banter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Exhausted but the Route 66 nationals were a lot of fun. If the NHRA comes to your area, you should check it out. Stuff exploded, cars rolled around, cool engineering poo poo happened. We even had some incarnation of the Blues Brothers(they drove around the pits in a golf cart with a stereo and speaker rig playing old Chicago blues tunes). Concession stand food was good too.

Anyway, I’m gonna try and imagine what sleep is like.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

In my experience anything past 3 days ahead and the Apple Weather App forecast gets shakey. Mileage may vary for euros tho.

Drag racing is way more sensitive about rain than turning racing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the NHRA is in New England(not a real state) this weekend. It might rain all weekend. So expect the announcers to be in full no fucks given mode. Should make for some interesting nhra.tv.

We're like an hour north of boston. I hate it out here. No one drives right. They obey the speedlimit and are terrified of merging.

coconono fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 1, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

New England rained. I’d recommend visiting one of other member tracks where the track GM isn’t more concerned about getting his timeslips instead of running his track.

There’s a pretty sweet RC track next door tho.

Also the Albacore exhibit is worth a look.

coconono fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 6, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NHRA is running Bristol this weekend. Check the website. I’m supposed to be on vacation.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All these hypercars make me wanna install a twin turbo rig on a kei car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Do you like Ohio? I dislike Ohio but that’s a deep seated cultural failing on my part.

Anyway, come to Summit Motorsports Park and let’s watch the cars go by together. Or separate if you’re a loner cool type.

NHRA tour is deep in the weirdness.