Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

About

Experience Crossbell in this exciting chapter from the renowned The Legend of Heroes series! The site of an ongoing territorial struggle between the Erebonian Empire and the Republic of Calvard, Crossbell has developed into a prosperous city-state and one of the continent’s leading economic centers.

After three years away from his hometown, Lloyd Bannings returns in order to follow his late brother's footsteps and join the Crossbell Police Department. However, when he arrives, he finds he's been assigned to the Special Support Section, a new division that handles odd jobs and minor requests. He meets his new teammates, which include Elie MacDowell, the granddaughter of the city's mayor; Randy Orlando, a womanizing ex-soldier; and Tio Plato, a young tech genius.

Though their department is mocked by the media and looked down on by the rest of the CPD, Lloyd and his friends continue to fight to make their city a better place. As they do, however, they slowly come face-to-face with the criminal corruption gripping their city. Little do they know just how deep the shadows of Crossbell City go...

Key Features

Welcome to Crossbell: The beginning of an exciting story arc in the Trails universe is about to begin in this iconic city-state! Experience a rich and refreshing game world that is teeming with secrets and adventures.

Polished Tactics: Strategic combat has been refined, resulting in rich, satisfying tactical gameplay. Harness powerful skills and teamwork to overcome your adversaries!

Your City, Your Story: Features such as High-speed and Skip mode allow you to cater your gameplay experience to your preferences and enjoy battles quickly to focus on the surrounding story and events.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (a.k.a. Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki) is the first part of the oft-whispered Crossbell storyline of the Trails JRPG series, taking place after Trails in the Sky and semi-concurrently with Trails of Cold Steel. What secrets lurk in the streets and alleyways of Crossbell City?! We take control of rookie detective Lloyd Bannings as he and his team work to help the citizens of the state and get to the bottom of this dark and extremely anime conspiracy.

If you've seen our Cold Steel LPs, you know how this works. I'm joined on commentary by my friend Sibyl and we'll be chipping our way through this journey at a steady but unhurried pace. As always, these games are quite long, so please lean back and relax as we get over the Barrier, whatever that is!

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:

As always, since the games were released out of order, and people can reasonably be at any point playing them, and each arc starts with a soft reboot, so what exactly you're expected to already know varies at all those points, spoilers in the thread require a bit more granularity. When dealing with something you think is a notable story point:
  • Sky Trilogy: Tag it!
  • Crossbellogy: Don't post it!
  • Cold Steel I-II: Tag it!
  • CS3 Onward: You know better!
I wasn't too harsh about spoilers in the CS threads, and I don't intend to start, but please be considerate. Thanks!

Full Playlist

Z01. Special Sucker Section
Z02. The Lesser Bracers
Z03. City Connection
Z04. What DOES Detective Rank Mean?
Z05. Megalo Mania
Z06. A Lil' Brawl
Z07. Grizzly Grim
Z08. Turnabout Downtown

Z08. Turnabout Downtown (from 56:03)
Z09. Beasts of Steel and Thunder
Z10. Card Pups
Z11. Totally Ordinary Businessman
Z12. Kitty Corner
Z13. Look Alive, Randy
Z14. The Rooftop Riddle
Z15. I've Got a Train to Inspect!
Z16. The Imelda Enigma
Z17. Totally Ordinary Girl

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Z01. Special Sucker Section

Yeah -- first day on the job. Great, huh? Name's Lloyd Bannings, nice to meet you.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 28, 2023

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I have no idea why the game decided it needed to start on a flash forward. It's not like it even hints at or covers anything more detailed than "yep, our PCs sure do get to exploring ancient castles" and "Yes, the extra elemental coverage from Sky 3rd is sticking around".

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, welcome to Crossbell. You got a very brief view of the Station Street and Central Square of the city at the start of the Divertissement chapter in Cold Steel II and they're pretty close to their 2D variations. Looking forward to a wild ride. And Cold Steel II end-game grade NPC rounds after every single plot event. :P

- Remiferia is not where the Church is. That's Arteria. And Le Locle in Sky SC was in Leman. (which is also where the Epstein Foundation and Bracer Guild HQ are located) Remiferia is to the north of Crossbell. Lucy Seiland, the girl who was on the student council together with Kloe, Hans, Jill and Lechter in Sky the 3rd, was a transfer student from that place.

- Random tidbit: Vingt-Sept is French for twenty seven.

- Since the shadows seem to be slightly misaligned (might be a resolution thing), the sprites often appear to be floating rather than standing. Try not to pay too much attention to it, because it'll get distracting fast. :P

- Randy's not from Crossbell itself, so he's not a local.

- Stun Halberds have been used by Crossbell's paramilitary force for some time, but Tio's staff is like the first of its kind. (this game takes place before Cold Steel and Reinford hasn't begun copying those yet) So it's not weird Lloyd's unfamiliar with it.

- The S stands for S-craft and the b stands for "break", meaning that one's set as the S-craft you use when you do the S-break. Not really applicable right now, but everyone gets a second S-craft in this game.

- Tio's physical attack is indeed low, but like Emma and Elliot, her weapon counts as a magical attack meaning that it's factored against magical defense rather than physical defense. It still does sucky damage if you don't upgrade her weapon. At least her S-craft is good against stuff with high physical defense since it eats right through those.

- Not sure how insistent you're gonna be about DP bonus. Let's just say that unless you get pretty much all optional conditions right, you're not gonna be seeing that tier 1 DP reward in this game.

- There's only three final bonding scenes in the game, one with Elie, one with Tio and one with Randy. It's actually possible, if you pick the right characters for the right scenarios and execute your combo crafts (which you'll get later) a very specific number of times, to create a save file where you can view all bonding scenes in one playthrough. Saving after each one also keeps it flagged in your export file at the end of the game. If you're not interested in the nitty-gritty, there's always YouTube.

- While the tutorial section bringing up Tio's chestplate isn't technically wrong in that it supposedly grants defense and Tio's defense stat is slightly higher than Elie's, it's also blatantly misleading when it suggests Tio's suitable for frontline battle. For one, the defense stat in the Trails games is pretty much a direct point-for-point damage reduction and it's a stat that quickly becomes practically irrelevant once the numbers start rising. Secondly, Tio's HP stat is just way too paltry to let her absorb much punishment and if you try to use her as a tank, you'll quickly end up with an ex-fourteen year old.

- I usually just use Lloyd for field attacks because unlike the others, his field attack has no start-up delay, still has a hitbox that's much larger than it seems and hits twice. Though Elie's still good if you want to snipe stuff and get the aiming logic down. Tio's dead zone is annoying to deal with and Randy's swing is kinda sluggish.

- The statdown-specific resistence is kinda weird. In practice, I don't think I've run into a single monster in this game that resisted some statdowns while still vulnerable to others. It's always either everything or nothing. Falcom just conflating them all into one in Cold Steel was long overdue.

- Randy's S-craft is pretty much a copy of Loewe's Demon Flames S-craft in terms of animation, main difference being it inflicts burn instead of faint.

- The team rush turn bonus does pop up from time to time outside of max advantage encounters, but it's relatively rare. If an enemy gets the turn bonus, they fortunately don't do a "Burst", but it does immediately bump up the turn of every single enemy on the field to the top of the turn order, meaning that in a battle against a single boss, it has no effect, but in a battle against several strong monsters, prepare to get gang-raped to death if you let the critters have it.

- There's no Haze quartz in Zero (all quartz you do get is listed in the notebook right upfront), though there's one that makes enemies on the field run away sooner.

- Monsters that do notice you can be kind of persistent in the Crossbell games. They don't really seem to have an invisible leash like they do in Cold Steel, you just need to put a certain amount of distance between them and your party before they give up. (there'll be a little icon above their heads once they do)

- Yep, that choice about Anri (which, I think, is supposed to be Henry spoken in a French accent) is a choice that nets you BP. (one of many) Crossbell isn't nice enough to tell you DP bonuses for certain battle outcomes yet, so let's see how persistent you're gonna be in the battle ahead.

Delphisage posted:

I have no idea why the game decided it needed to start on a flash forward. It's not like it even hints at or covers anything more detailed than "yep, our PCs sure do get to exploring ancient castles" and "Yes, the extra elemental coverage from Sky 3rd is sticking around".

There is a reason Falcom decided to stick that little bit in there, but it's not something that's immediately obvious.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 28, 2023

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, second on the intro. The correct reaction for the beginning IS supposed to be "Why would you put this here?", and the answer to that is pretty subtle, but definitive.

Also, probably was a good choice on the difficulty. Trails in the Sky difficulty is pretty honest with how difficult it is (good luck with first run Nightmare, lololol), Trails of Cold Steel is usually quite a bit easier than their difficulties claim (bordering on almost impossible to not break in some cases). Trails from Zero, etc. are somewhere in between; it's very beatable even on first run Nightmare difficulty, but it puts a pretty stiff challenge all the way through unless you go out of your way to use the broken methods in the game (of which there are a number of them, but there are a bit more subtle than in Cold Steel).

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

All Cops Are Bracers

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Hwurmp posted:

All Cops Are Bracers

This game: "LOL, no!"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Zero starts a few months before CS 1 starts, so Tio is testing the first Orbal staves, so of course no one has heard of those.
- The Guardian Force is essentially Crossbell's military. The game will explain more about it as time goes on.
- There is a reward for reporting monster book progress, but that only requires an entry. Full details is only for an achievement (and as has been said, that has a NG+ requirement).
- Moving Tio forward one square is a good idea. In her default position, she didd indeed not have enough movement to hit enemies with her basic attack on her first turn. That changes as better shoes are acquired.
- Thankfully, the actual sewer part is not visitable.
- The Score in the Records is used to unlock extras like visuals and movies from the game, and minigames. It's not as exciting as it sounds.
- The Geofront isn't growing new entrances, the database records are just sloppy. I think the original intent was supposed to be that the manhole cover was left open by some workers.
- Just as a note, Evasion is very strong in this game, and Lloyd works very well as an evasion tank.

Erpy posted:

- Tio's physical attack is indeed low, but like Emma and Elliot, her weapon counts as a magical attack meaning that it's factored against magical defense rather than physical defense. It still does sucky damage if you don't upgrade her weapon. At least her S-craft is good against stuff with high physical defense since it eats right through those.

Tio's offensive power grows so slowly that it stops being very useful to upgrade her weapon after Chapter 2 (Still buy the new one each chapter, just maybe don't upgrade it). By that time you shouldn't need to be doing regular basic attacks with her anyway. Needless to say, with a magical weapon, all of Tio's direct attack crafts count as magical.

Erpy posted:

For one, the defense stat in the Trails games is pretty much a direct point-for-point damage reduction and it's a stat that quickly becomes practically irrelevant once the numbers start rising.

For this reason, and because Defense X quartz penalizes your Strength, I never bother equipping any "Defense X" quartz on anyone you want to deal physical damage. Which is everyone except Tio. Elie is not a powerhouse, but she still does reasonable damage with basic attacks if you upgrade her weapon (she's just third in priority for the upgrades).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 28, 2023

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Just as a note, Evasion is very strong in this game, and Lloyd works very well as an evasion tank.

In this game, I'd argue that Randy's the better evasion tank since he hits harder and has a longer range on his weapon (2 RNG versus Lloyd's 1), meaning more frequent retaliation. Unlike Azure, I don't think any of Lloyd's weapons in Zero have an evasion bonus.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Trails to Zero?

More like Trails to Tio Telling Everyone to Sit the Hell Down and Shut Up

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Tio does currently seem like the only adult in the room somehow.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Tio is essentially Crossbell's Fie; a socially stunted loli with no anti-snark filter and some of the best lines in the whole game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Special Sucker Section is a pretty fitting title for the first episode.
- What the Receptionist was surprised about was a fresh recruit to the CPD joining at Detective level, instead of coming in at a lower rank that most people do. Presumably, most Detectives started out as lower-tier policemen and then took the exam after a couple of years on the force.
- Don't be scared of all the hearts in the "Forge a Strong bond" thing. It's not like Cold Steel. Different events grant differing amounts of hearts.

Erpy posted:

In this game, I'd argue that Randy's the better evasion tank since he hits harder and has a longer range on his weapon (2 RNG versus Lloyd's 1), meaning more frequent retaliation. Unlike Azure, I don't think any of Lloyd's weapons in Zero have an evasion bonus.

Maybe, but what would you build Lloyd as then, because Randy is already the power hitter with the bigger HP pool? Personally I have never cared at all about optimizing "retaliation range", for me it's the dodging itself which matters most. To me, dodging also fits better with Lloyd's style - both in training and personality, compared to Randy, who is more aggressive.

secretly best girl posted:

Tio does currently seem like the only adult in the room somehow.

All the characters are pretty solid and capable of being the adult in the room. Yes, even Randy. He's actually my favorite character in the arc, for later reasons.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
I'm loving all these little chibi guys! Excited for the Crossbell arc.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Maybe, but what would you build Lloyd as then, because Randy is already the power hitter with the bigger HP pool?

I use both of them as frontliners and try to boost the evasion of both, but when it comes to distributing top-tier stuff like the evergreens, I found myself prioritizing Randy because Lloyd gets a means of keeping his defense boosted and defending against ailments, meaning the consequences of the enemy getting a shot in are less severe with him.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
There's honestly a couple ways you could do it. Lloyd makes for a surprisingly effective pure offensive character (despite the all-rounder/slight defensive leaning characters like Estelle usually being pretty bad in Trails). That's due to some system differences between Zero and the other games, as well as how Lloyd's personal toolset interacts with those differences. But it's also true that you do give up some advantages to not building Randy as the offensive character.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 30, 2023

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Erpy posted:

- Since the shadows seem to be slightly misaligned (might be a resolution thing), the sprites often appear to be floating rather than standing. Try not to pay too much attention to it, because it'll get distracting fast. :P

There's definitely some oddities with how the graphics are presented (I noticed one pretty funny one in a later video) but it does come across as charming at least.

Erpy posted:

- Not sure how insistent you're gonna be about DP bonus. Let's just say that unless you get pretty much all optional conditions right, you're not gonna be seeing that tier 1 DP reward in this game.

- Yep, that choice about Anri (which, I think, is supposed to be Henry spoken in a French accent) is a choice that nets you BP. (one of many) Crossbell isn't nice enough to tell you DP bonuses for certain battle outcomes yet, so let's see how persistent you're gonna be in the battle ahead.

It sounds like we lost points minutes into this one, so I'm gonna go ahead and say max rank isn't particularly likely here.

AncientSpark posted:

Also, probably was a good choice on the difficulty. Trails in the Sky difficulty is pretty honest with how difficult it is (good luck with first run Nightmare, lololol), Trails of Cold Steel is usually quite a bit easier than their difficulties claim (bordering on almost impossible to not break in some cases). Trails from Zero, etc. are somewhere in between; it's very beatable even on first run Nightmare difficulty, but it puts a pretty stiff challenge all the way through unless you go out of your way to use the broken methods in the game (of which there are a number of them, but there are a bit more subtle than in Cold Steel).

This also gets borne out pretty much immediately here.

- The Geofront isn't growing new entrances, the database records are just sloppy. I think the original intent was supposed to be that the manhole cover was left open by some workers.

Hm, yes ... I'm sure that's what certain elements would want me to think ...

For this reason, and because Defense X quartz penalizes your Strength, I never bother equipping any "Defense X" quartz on anyone you want to deal physical damage. Which is everyone except Tio. Elie is not a powerhouse, but she still does reasonable damage with basic attacks if you upgrade her weapon (she's just third in priority for the upgrades).

This was basically the first thing I did upon gaining quartz freedom, yeah.

theamazingchris posted:

I'm loving all these little chibi guys! Excited for the Crossbell arc.

I'm not usually a big fan of the prerendered-sprites look but Falcom did it really well in this period. It's distinctive and very cute but not so cute it completely undercuts the story.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Trails to Zero?

More like Trails to Tio Telling Everyone to Sit the Hell Down and Shut Up

Glares from Tio

--------

Z02. The Lesser Bracers

Haven't even been paid yet and we already got a hit piece in the paper. That means we're doing a good job, right?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I like how Sergei just admits the reason the S3 exists is to both steal work from the Bracer Guild and improve the reputation of Crossbell's local guardian forces. It's both a pragmatic and sympathetic motivation for him.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Delphisage posted:

I like how Sergei just admits the reason the S3 exists is to both steal work from the Bracer Guild and improve the reputation of Crossbell's local guardian forces. It's both a pragmatic and sympathetic motivation for him.

Local police forces. The Guardian Force is an entirely separate government organization that doesn't really have anything to do with the city proper.

Yeah, Zero's pretty slow to start. That's kind of a recurring pattern with Trails games; pretty much every single entry is a slow burn. I do like the Crossbell games' approach of basically doing a vertical slice of a single complicated city; its kinda neat to focus on something as small scale and nuanced as municipal power rivalries for once. But by the same token, sometimes it doesn't exactly make for riveting plot motion.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I get why you'd change this for the official translation, but the Geofront orbal terminal system information is very funny in a 'we just copied the output of dxdiag' kinda way.

Though... looking at this I just realized they hosed up the timestamp in the official version, oops.

e: Hm, something bugged me about this so I checked, and the timestamp is wrong in the original Japanese PSP version too. So good job whoever noticed that in the long chain of what eventually became the Geofront release. It looks like that literally says Windows and AMD here so this might actually just be the dxdiag output of some developer's computer, haha.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 4, 2023

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Hey now, I could totally believe Microsoft is so monopolistic that they crossed dimensions just to be the first OS to be adopted into Orbal technology.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Tio's breastplate thing is fastened into a harness she wears. The fasteners are big because they're finger-tightened.
- Draw the Monsters Attention was the better choice. This fight is really annoying, because even when you draw the monsters attention, there still can be instances where a kid gets hit and there's nothing you can do except reload and try again. Still not the most annoying bonus DP condition fight in the Crossbell arc, though!
- I feel like the game is overly critical of Lloyd's intent to distract the monster, given the lack of plausible alternative options.

- "So you just wanna come with us and do this the whole game?" - Don't offer, she might take you up on that!
- The built-in comm is the new feature which Tio mentioned in the Orbment tutorial last video.
- I'm not sure what the gauge is, maybe some kind of channel/frequency select, although I don't know why they'd have that.

- That back door actually was put in by the original tenants for escaping.
- There are women in the CGF and CPD. I think the bunkrooms are gender segregated.
- Cecile, thankfully is not much like Elise Schwarzer.
- Crossbell is much lighter on the romance stuff than either Sky or Cold Steel.

- All the premise and most of the tutorial stuff has been set up already, so the pace should pick up. Still though, it won't be until Chapter 2 that the game is fully opened up.
- In Cold Steel, quests tended to all expire at once once a suitable main plot point was hit. In Crossbell, sometimes quests can remain open for a few days. Anything "Short" duration is likely to expire once there's a notable advance in the main plot. Long means you can hold off on completing them for a while. There are sometimes good reasons to hold off.
- The pittance you get from requests won't be nearly enough to cover your expenses. Like Trails in the Sky, most of your income will come from trading Sepith for Mira.
- LOL at the idea that you could embarrass Randy. "Joke's on you, I don't have shame!" Pretty much!
- Actually yes, you do want to feed the cat. The eventual reward is great.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Arios MacLaine was mentioned in Cold Steel before. Remember that samurai robot boss at the top of the Reinford building that gave you such a hard time back in Cold Steel II? The one that had the "Divine Blade of Wind's techniques programmed into it?" This is the guy it was trying to emulate.

- You already very briefly met Grace back at the start of Cold Steel II's Divertissement. Now you get to meet her chibi-form.

- Given how the Erebonian civil war ended with only three recorded casualties, I'd say the size of the graveyard for a major metropolis is about right. ;P

- Yes, Tio can speak cat. And that grumpy cat in her room also appeared in Tokyo Xanadu. (I believe it's called Kagumaru or something) Like Mishy, Pikkards, Zwei Penguins and Poms, this is another one of those things that Falcom turned into cross-franchise mascots.

- Actually yes, you do want to feed the cat. The eventual reward is great.

But only if you start feeding him before the stuff you usually feed him even becomes available.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

- Yes, Tio can speak cat. And that grumpy cat in her room also appeared in Tokyo Xanadu. (I believe it's called Kagumaru or something) Like Mishy, Pikkards, Zwei Penguins and Poms, this is another one of those things that Falcom turned into cross-franchise mascots.

also Towa

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

also Towa

The figure site that keeps suggesting every Trails figure to me went "you want Long Towa, right?" the other day and it was horrifying

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Classy Hydra posted:

Local police forces. The Guardian Force is an entirely separate government organization that doesn't really have anything to do with the city proper.

Yeah, Zero's pretty slow to start. That's kind of a recurring pattern with Trails games; pretty much every single entry is a slow burn. I do like the Crossbell games' approach of basically doing a vertical slice of a single complicated city; its kinda neat to focus on something as small scale and nuanced as municipal power rivalries for once. But by the same token, sometimes it doesn't exactly make for riveting plot motion.

The slow start makes more sense here, though. It's a brand new section of a widely disdained group. They are literally starting from rock bottom. There's no reason for anyone to trust them or show them respect and honestly watching them build a reputation is part of what makes this arc my favorite of the first three.

The slow start in the Cold Steel games is because they insist on teaching you everything right away so there's a ton of stop-and-go and the intro to Cold Steel II is just garbage

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

T∞wa

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Z03. City Connection

We begin our first patrol through Crossbell City, meeting all the interesting people and their fascinating names.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 11, 2023

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
you know, I think the Crossbell games might actually have the largest amount of backtracking dialogue of any of the Kiseki series. Its only competitor is Sky, which has more NPCs but also blocks off big chunks of the map more than Zero/Azure do. Its more convenient in any case, as the city of Crossbell is way more compact than all of Liberl.

I like how the game needs you to buy orbal staffs for the gameplay economy to even out (or at least they think they do; in practice it probably wouldn't be a big deal), but can't think of an actual reason why that would make sense, so we end up with surreal plot element of Tio's handler bizarrely sending experimental technology packages to the local weapons dealer. I'm not even mad, its an entertaining bit.

It makes even less sense when you realize that in 6 months, basically every arms dealer in east Erebonia will be stocking orbal staffs (which are still experimental technology) for no explained reason whatsoever! Which is interesting, as with regards to the Arcus units, at least occasionally there's a nod in the story as to why all the orbal factories they encounter can service them.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
The Downtown District music is my absolute favorite area music since CS2's Infernal Castle. The rest of Zero's music has been typical Falcom quality so far (early in Chapter 2), but I always walk through the Downtown District without using turbo so I can hear that delightful twang.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Your discussion about Lloyd's uniform reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend waaaaaaay back when Resident Evil 2 came out on the PSX. We decided that Leon's secret hobby was sewing and he had made an RPD uniform long ago since he was such a fan of them and decided to wear that for his first day

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Re: The small graveyard: How big was the graveyard you visited in Cold Steel 1/2? It's just videogame compression, and avoiding redundancy. There's one farming community per country game, no matter how big the country. Rolent, Celdic, and Armorica.

- Doing a little bit of grinding at the start is prudent. because most of your income comes from exchanging sepith for mira.???
- Tio is indeed being paid by the Epstein foundation. She's just ignoring her stipend and only spending her CPD paycheque.
- Re: Old Man Conte. My immature name change person walks around the Harbor district.

- Fernand wouldn't make my "Top 50 portrait-less characters who need a portrait" list. But apparently he made someone's.
- Oh, Clarice's daughters exist. That bear also has a name.

- One of the bulletin boards in the Bracer Guild has a shift schedule posted which says which region all of the Bracers are in at the moment. It's neat if you want to keep track of them.
- I don't think Tio said "*click clack*", I think her breastplate has a small terminal in it which she uses to check things? I dunno. That could be completely wrong. SHe just keeps referring to city databases occasionally, and I'm pretty sure she hasn't got the entire thing memorized.

- Chests like that can be spotted if you have a "Detection" quartz equipped.
- I think Pansy is probably about 10-12 or so, but that's just a guess based on her style of speaking, which is more mature than that of Meiling and Mimi. Probably around the same age as Ryu and Anri. I think she didn't remember Lloyd becasue she doesn't care.
- Babies will appear in Cold Steel 3. Not in any meaningful way, but they do exist in this universe.
- In the flashback to Guy's funeral, it was mentioned that Guy had been taking care of Lloyd after their parents died. They will get into specifics much later down the line.
- Randy is short for Randolph.
- You never lose access to the Geofront once you have it, except in certain circumstances.

- Cooking in the Crossbell games is a lot more trial and error than in Cold Steel. It also doesn't have the "unique" variation which only one character can create. The Failure chance produces something essentially useless.
- Elsa is the wife, Momo is the daughter.

- If talking to every NPC at every opportunity is too much, I can send secretly best girl the highlights. (It's no effort for me, someone else's guide has them listed.)
- Have you found who/what accepts the Supreme Dishes? There's no rush to doing so, and only the final reward is worthwhile.

Erpy posted:

I use both of them as frontliners and try to boost the evasion of both, but when it comes to distributing top-tier stuff like the evergreens, I found myself prioritizing Randy because Lloyd gets a means of keeping his defense boosted and defending against ailments, meaning the consequences of the enemy getting a shot in are less severe with him.

It's not just about accessories, but battle orbments. Later on, there aren't enough slots on these orbments to make use of both the evasion-enhancing quartz and the high-offence-enhancing quartz on one person.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 12, 2023

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- I imagine any citizen can buy quartz in an orbal factory, it's just that without a battle orbment, that quartz is useless and battle orbments are hinted to be fairly expensive, which is why only bracers, police officers and high school students conveniently selected to test new models are ever carrying them.

- I can think of at least 15 NPCs far more deserving of dialogue portraits than Fernand and Chaco, but these were apparently in that gacha game, so they got back ported seeing that they were already there.

- The chest IS BS, but it's still possible to find out about it without a guide since there's a quartz early on you can equip that shows all treasure chests on the screen.

- You HAVE seen a baby in a Trails game before.

- The only time you actually need an item created by failing a recipe is ironically in the prologue.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Erpy posted:

- You HAVE seen a baby in a Trails game before.

I want you to know I just began cackling like a hyena. Of loving course that's the one I'd blank out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cronk is short for Cronkleberry

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Z04. What DOES Detective Rank Mean?

We finish our tour of the city and then definitely don't help commit a crime.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just popping in to say that I'm following this thread, but I don't have near as much of a knowledge on this game as I did the Cold Steel series, as I've only played it .98 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- There's a separate run button in Sky and Crossbell too that shifts you between walk and run mode when you hold it down. (you even used it during this play session) It's just that most people (naturally) have the game set to always-run, so it's hardly ever used.
- The reward from the cat may not seem much, but there's an end-game reward for feeding the cat every single chapter and that includes feeding it in the prologue when you don't have other food he'll accept yet.
- It's pretty funny you called Colin's expression a "children-of-the-corn stare", given that you-know-who runs around with a giant friggin' scythe in her pockets.
- I see that that habit of you casually foretelling future events in random jokes hasn't gone anywhere.
- I believe there's two chapters where you can get better equipment from the casino than what's available in stores at that point, although it requires quite a bit of medal-grinding.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2023