Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Huey was the red nephew. The green one was Louie.
- On the bracer board, "perimeter patrol" (or "Erebonia/Remiferia") means "don't bother looking for this bracer this timeblock".
- Aeolia is essentially albino Anelace, as you no doubt immediately took note of.
- Estelle's reaction to Tita in Sky was also along the lines of "we could take her home, she'd be like a pet who'd cheer us up whenever we felt down" before Joshua commented on how hosed up that sounded.
- Grace wouldn't be able to afford a luxury apartment in Villa Raisins, but you do find out who lives there eventually, long before Sammie does.
- That door in the back alley is open in Azure for exactly one segment and if you miss it then, the recipe behind it is lost forever. I found this out the hard way. But yeah, it does lead to the department store's behind-the-counter section even if the door's not obvious from inside.
- In the pre-Geofront fan translations, Grizzly Grimm's nickname was "Mister Beardy Bear". It was used in serious conversations the same way nicknames like "Divine Blade", "Radiant Blademaster" and "Icy Maiden" were used. It was hilarious.
- You're not the only one who noticed Inspector Dudley's similarity to Machias. Take note that this is Machias' menu portrait post-Cold Steel II.

They're not even being subtle. I'm pretty sure that Falcom, when coming up with characters to be part of Class VII, thought something along the lines of: "Alright, we already have a blond tsundere with mommy issues, a harem lord who can go super-Saian and operate a huge mecha, a snooty noble with a chip on his shoulder, a snarky emotionless kid, a mysterious girl with big boobs who is mysterious, a sword lady who swords, a music note in human form and a guy who says "wind" a lot, but we're still missing something. Oh, I know: how about a younger, dorkier Dudley with a slightly smaller stick up his butt?"

Erpy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
We have found, as far as I can tell, the only practicing lawyer on the west half of the continent. His support staff seems to be exactly one child, which strikes me as possibly the least realistic thing in the game, considering he's supposed to be an international business lawyer who also does general practice.

Mafia v. Triads is pretty accurate. Many elements of Crossbell are essentially just Erebonia v. Calvard proxy wars, and this is no exception (besides the fact that the Eastern faction in this case appears to be new on the scene).

Machias is very much Dudley, but as an annoying child with no actual power.

Never trust old ladies.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 12, 2023

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Polsy posted:

I'd have to assume it doesn't particularly matter, but maybe something will come up with the sidequest that presumably exists in that building. None of the Japanese LPs I looked at for this part had the player reading every piece of game text out loud, unfortunately

The correct pronunciation of Heiyue is marked in the text (furigana) when talking to Grimwood, so that solves that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I think that some dialogues have a flag to say "doesn't reset after you switch scenes", and sometimes that doesn't get set for long dialogues, which is why Kienz's dialogue repeated. I don't think that's a bug, just how the game works.
- I think Michel said it directly earlier: The SSS hasn't done anything yet to prove themselves capable, and they're also all rookies.
- There actually are two whole (if short) book series in the library.
- You always report quests through the SSS computer, never at the CPD.
- Kate is referring to the Metropolitian division rookies. Lloyd is the only rookie who took and passed the detective exam, which is not required for standard police training.
- It sounds like the third-floor resident consistently leaves early and comes back late. Odd hours would be coming and going at random times.
- Eric at Garante is a decent source of info.
- Elie will clarify what she meant about the dolls not being THOSE dolls if you check that case again in Chapter ** two **.
- "I guess when you have a reporter like Grace, the mob would burn down a building or two." Yeah, that possibility is pretty much exactly why the former Crossbell Times building has a back exit.

- Lloyd will gradually realize how many problems Crossbell has under the surface, and how difficult they are to solve.
- I'll put it this way: Dudley makes Machias look like a chaotic, fun-loving party animal.
- The "Male symbols" on the sprite (which on the sprite actually look more like the female symbol) are visible in the full-body portrait, they're actually tiny little fasteners, not anywhere near as big as they are on the sprite.
- "The whole room should just groan as one." That is in fact pretty much the team's reaction in the future whenever someone mentions they know about the SSS from the Crossbell Times.
- I don't think the Heiyue building literally appeared overnight. It's probably just referring that it was constructed very rapidly. As in it was a vacant lot in a desirable part of town, suggesting (a)the price was steep, (b)this company is rich enough to pay the high price for the land and (c) to have construction expedited. Which would make sense for a group knowing they're competitors to the mafia. The less time the mafia have to react before Heiyue can get settled into their new base, the better it'll be. I won't tell you that the building CAN'T fly, but I lied. The Heiyue building is made of ordinary materials and it cannot fly. These games do get pretty batshit... but not batshit in some of the highly specific ways you're guessing.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Erpy posted:

- Huey was the red nephew. The green one was Louie.
- On the bracer board, "perimeter patrol" (or "Erebonia/Remiferia") means "don't bother looking for this bracer this timeblock".
- Aeolia is essentially albino Anelace, as you no doubt immediately took note of.
- Estelle's reaction to Tita in Sky was also along the lines of "we could take her home, she'd be like a pet who'd cheer us up whenever we felt down" before Joshua commented on how hosed up that sounded.
- Grace wouldn't be able to afford a luxury apartment in Villa Raisins, but you do find out who lives there eventually, long before Sammie does.
- That door in the back alley is open in Azure for exactly one segment and if you miss it then, the recipe behind it is lost forever. I found this out the hard way. But yeah, it does lead to the department store's behind-the-counter section even if the door's not obvious from inside.
- In the pre-Geofront fan translations, Grizzly Grimm's nickname was "Mister Beardy Bear". It was used in serious conversations the same way nicknames like "Divine Blade", "Radiant Blademaster" and "Icy Maiden" were used. It was hilarious.
- You're not the only one who noticed Inspector Dudley's similarity to Machias. Take note that this is Machias' menu portrait post-Cold Steel II.

They're not even being subtle. I'm pretty sure that Falcom, when coming up with characters to be part of Class VII, thought something along the lines of: "Alright, we already have a blond tsundere with mommy issues, a harem lord who can go super-Saian and operate a huge mecha, a snooty noble with a chip on his shoulder, a snarky emotionless kid, a mysterious girl with big boobs who is mysterious, a sword lady who swords, a music note in human form and a guy who says "wind" a lot, but we're still missing something. Oh, I know: how about a younger, dorkier Dudley with a slightly smaller stick up his butt?"

Carl Regnitz sure was thoughtful to take his wife with him on all his business trips into Crossbell, earlier in his career.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I won't tell you that the building CAN'T fly, but I lied. The Heiyue building is made of ordinary materials and it cannot fly..

*does not fly...that we currently know of

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Hey, no video this week, it's been an absolute disaster every single day. I was going to buckle down tonight and at least get it up late but I just spent an hour in 0F wind chill getting my car moving again so instead I'm going to just play Crisis Core or Dead Cells or something and hit things until they die.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Having one of those weeks myself, so I'm using a cleric who beats truth out of people and his seven friends to fight and mug my way across a couple continents.

Hope it goes better for you

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
While you all wait for more content, someone just discovered the orbal department stores are real, please enjoy

https://twitter.com/rusty_shackles/status/1637147768908021760

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Well, now I don't feel so bad for having put off watching the video! Sorry to hear that, though. At least I'll be able to catch up!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Decided to play along with this one, and cackled when I decided to check a chest after opening it and discovering chest text is back.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Z08. Turnabout Downtown (Prologue End, Ch.1 Start)

The team deals with the threat downtown in a stunning display. Then later, wolves!!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Side note: it's easy to miss someone on the back upper tables of the restaurant if you don't specifically check. You can't see those tables from below, and that table is hidden if you're standing at the top of the stairs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lloyd goes "DWORGH?!" a lot more than I remember

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Cecile will be showing up soon, don't worry. This game just has a positively glacial opening. Sky FC is the only other game I can think of that compares.

Men's Wearhouse is definitely a national chain; I remember enduring their ads as a kid in Delaware. At least their spokesman had a lovely voice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Taking out the two leaders of each gang directly probably wouldn't have worked so well for a few reasons. If both of them died, it would have been much more obvious that a third party was involved. A new group coming in soon after to recruit would have been too suspicious, and poisoned the remaining members against suspicious recruitment.

- The end of the Prologue is one of three points in the game where you have to choose between different party members. This gives 3 bond points towards them, and the first one to reach 13, that's the ending you get. That's not a spoiler, the game keeps track of that in the "Form a strong bond with..." achievement.
- There is a way to spread out your points so that you can still have all three endings possible before the ending, but that requires playing in a specific way, which I don't think Level 1 Thief is interested in doing.
- If it's "new information" or "revelations" which you are most interested in, I think Randy's ending is the most interesting, and Tio's is the least interesting. I have saves, though.

- Seven Rush is what it sounds like - your side gets to act for seven or more consecutive turns.
- Chief Sergei's dialogue apparently changes depending on how well you did in the investigation, because I got
Sergei: "I guess you guys did pretty okay for a bunch of rookies, huh? You pooled what little experience you have and found a way through."
Lloyd: "Th-Thank you, sir... (That IS a compliment, right?)"

- There is no quest - at least in Zero - where you have to chase around a cat. (There IS a cat quest, coming up pretty soon, actually. But no chasing.)
- There are multiple reasons for using Zero. One of them is obviously that they're starting out as members of an organization which has little trust with the people and a poor reputation - starting from Zero. I like to think that another reason is the from the phrase "Zero to Hero."

- This scene seems to be Arios refusing another offer of an unofficial promotion to S-Rank.
- No, we don't know what incident Arios resolved in Remiferia was. The masterminds eluding capture sounds suspiciously like Ouroboros, but that's not for certain.
- "We're worried about Elie crumbling to dust." :lol: You'll see soon.
- What the Deputy Commander meant was that the report presents the facts, she didn't want to bias the SSS's thinking by giving the opinions of her or the CGF.
- Both Sonia and the girl in the back both had portraits in the base game.
- Sonia wasn't sweet on Randy in that she had romantic feelings for him, but she did have a high enough opinion of him to ensure that he landed on his feet in the SSS after getting fired from the CGF. The question to ask then is, "Does it seem like Deputy Commander Baelz would do that for someone who was fired for either inappropriate fraternizing or sexually harassing women?" I leave the answer for you to decide.
- There are technically no sidequests in the villages because the game is still easing players in. Even this chapter's hidden quest is in the main city.

- Lloyd is not Beautiful Mind-ing Cecile. It would be unusual to make a protagonist of one of these games to be delusional. Remember that the prologue wouldn't let you leave the main city. There are like six or seven other places outside of Crossbell city.
- Randy has been in Crossbell State for about two years.
- I think that there's enough sepith available, and the slots were cheap enough that I was able to have everyone's slots unlocked by the end of this chapter.
- There's no rush to get the covers, but they do contribute 1 bonding point. (I'm not sure what the ones for Lloyd do, but his do count for the achievement.) They're quite affordable, at the standard Sepith exchange rate, that's less than 6 of each color. Just maybe hold off until after more useful stuff - especially weapons - is purchased.
- Randy has LOTS of surprises in store. He ended up being my favorite character of the arc.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 27, 2023

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have played Zero and Azure with max DP at least 3 times and have never spoken to Fernand. Why did he get a portrait in the mod?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have played Zero and Azure with max DP at least 3 times and have never spoken to Fernand. Why did he get a portrait in the mod?

Because he got one in Akatsuki no Kiseki, a gacha. The mod adds portraits to characters who would eventually get ones in Azure, but also adds portraits to characters who appear in Akatsuki no Kiseki.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I don't know why precisely, but the idea of Ellie as a reverse-vampire who dies if they ever leave a demesne is very entertaining.

Randy's interactions with the city are a little odd; he's definitely been in Crossbell State for a while now, but he does seem unfamiliar with the city sometimes. I suppose, since he's been with the Guardian Force the entire time, we're supposed to assume he's been spending most of his time in the barracks out-of-city. Also yes, he most definitely would buy anything with the general shape of a busty woman drawn on it.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Cyouni posted:

Side note: it's easy to miss someone on the back upper tables of the restaurant if you don't specifically check. You can't see those tables from below, and that table is hidden if you're standing at the top of the stairs.

You'll be glad to know I took this as meaning I definitely missed someone and I immediately booted the game to check. The one we're recording tonight is going to start in the city anyway so it would've been good timing. edit: haha no it's not, turns out I'm an idiot

- Sonia wasn't sweet on Randy in that she had romantic feelings for him, but she did have a high enough opinion of him to ensure that he landed on his feet in the SSS after getting fired from the CGF. The question to ask then is, "Does it seem like Deputy Commander Baelz would do that for someone who was fired for either inappropriate fraternizing or sexually harassing women?" I leave the answer for you to decide.

In real life? Probably not. In this anime pervert society? Maybe. If her weapon of choice is a whip we'll have our answer.

- Lloyd is not Beautiful Mind-ing Cecile. It would be unusual to make a protagonist of one of these games to be delusional.

You don't have to be delusional to be getting mindhacked!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Because he got one in Akatsuki no Kiseki, a gacha. The mod adds portraits to characters who would eventually get ones in Azure, but also adds portraits to characters who appear in Akatsuki no Kiseki.

It's still kinda weird that he in particular is apparently a significant character in a gacha spinoff. Then again the effort put into hyper-monetized spinoff stuff has always baffled me (like how they managed to pull a nearly complete set of character sprites from, of all things, the Umineko pachislot machine for its western release).

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 27, 2023

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- There's no rush to get the covers, but they do contribute 1 bonding point. (I'm not sure what the ones for Lloyd do, but his do count for the achievement.) They're quite affordable, at the standard Sepith exchange rate, that's less than 6 of each color. Just maybe hold off until after more useful stuff - especially weapons - is purchased.

Not just that, they also carry over into Azure and doing so gives you an additional bonding point with those three characters in that game too. So it's a good idea to buy them at some point.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I actually had no idea those offered bonding points, or carried over into Azure.

Hunh. Wonder what other random stuff carries over between games I never noticed.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I have started up Azure, myself, and I still can't believe (fake) MAJOR SPOILERS you still can't buy and hold a balloon from that guy. I reacted the exact same way to that vendor. At least say something like "sorry, I don't like the cops" or something. Instead of sitting there. Taunting me. Asking me if I want something you refuse to give me.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Now I want to see that shot of Lloyd in the back alley surrounded by mafiosos, but they're all holding balloons.

Classy Hydra posted:

I actually had no idea those offered bonding points, or carried over into Azure.

Hunh. Wonder what other random stuff carries over between games I never noticed.

Near as I can tell, the only place that's visibly tracked is that achievements menu, which is new for the PH3 ports. I guess you're just not supposed to worry too much about it.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 1, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Prowler posted:

I have started up Azure, myself, and I still can't believe (fake) MAJOR SPOILERS you still can't buy and hold a balloon from that guy. I reacted the exact same way to that vendor. At least say something like "sorry, I don't like the cops" or something. Instead of sitting there. Taunting me. Asking me if I want something you refuse to give me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Level 1 Thief posted:

which is new for the PH3 ports.

That menu has been there from the start, actually -- probably because the PSP doesn't have Achievements either.

The progress indicator in the menu seems to have been added somewhere along the port chain but I'm not sure where exactly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The progress indicator in the menu seems to have been added somewhere along the port chain but I'm not sure where exactly.

Looks like in the NIS release. The Geofront version of Zero doesn't have that indicator.

To make this a more worthwhile post, here's another feature of note, this one was from Geofront Azure which got backported to Geofront Zero, and then done for the NIS release:

In the Options > Game menu, there's an entry "Show BGM Information." When turned on, it displays the track title for a few seconds in the upper-left corner. None of the track names are spoilers, so it's safe to turn on. Just a neat little tidbit if you're interested in knowing "what song is this?"

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

drat, I'd thought it was a safe assumption that it's new because Cold Steel didn't have a menu like that. Ah well.

The BGM feature is a neat idea, but I actually found it pretty annoying in test recordings as it constantly popped up on the dungeon -> battle -> victory loop, so I left it off. I'd like it better if it was just a constant widget onscreen like Danganronpa has.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Z09. Beasts of Steel and Thunder

The SSS spend another day uncovering Crossbell City's darkest secrets, without even trying to this time! They're so good at their jobs.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If Elie and Lloyd are the team mom and dad, Tio is the passive aggressive younger sister who likes to stir poo poo up. Louise Belcher on Adderall

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Actually shocked that of all characters to get portraits in that mod, Jingo and Ashleigh didn't make the cut.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the proper Lloyd/Wazy ship name is Łłoyd

e: Meghaduta is Sanskrit for Megadude

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 2, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- "The Saint and the White Wolf" - You'll find out whose backstory it is with the second volume.
- "This is not what I expected the punchline to be." That's because NISA messed up the punchline. In the Geofront version, the title of Raymond's overdue book was "Famous Female Figures" (and in an earlier revision, "Beauties of the World"). Those are titles for which it would make sense for Raymond to be confused. It makes far less sense for him to be confused about "Women Who Changed The World".
- LOL that you specified a Rocket Launcher as Fran's hypothetical weapon.
- The left roped-off-area in City Hall leads to a reception room. It's open for a few well-publicized special events (which I'll try and mention), but it's not something you can freely explore.

- Neinvalli is an excellent shop for fun dialogue and "the word on the streets." It's usually worth a visit at every dialogue update.
- "These are my new favorite merchants in the series." I have good news for you!
- Mira comes in bill forms as well, Tio mentions that vending machines only take coins, not bills. Presumably bills have traceable serial numbers.
- Yeah, the CPD ignores Ashleigh's goings-on because she's a valuable informant.
- In Zero, quartz trading at Neinvalli is pretty darn obnoxious and only really worth doing if you have some spares, or are going for a special quartz. It's usually simpler to just synth it at Genten.
- You get to go downstairs in Neinvalli I think exactly once during Azure for a collectible.

- Felicia is a random Erebonian noble's daughter. She doesn't appear in any of the Cold Steel games that I recall.
- Remember Lars and Kurt in the Long Lao inn for a hidden sidequest later.
- It is important to teach the player about exchanging Sepith, because this is before Cold Steel's Sepith Masses. The small amount of money you get from the CPD for completing requests won't cover your expenses.
- The Epstein Branch office is in the IBC building, that's why the Chief came out of the elevator. I think a few other businesses have space in the IBC building as well.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I love how you are able to tell who's the new tenant of that apartment on East Street by the bo staff mounted on the wall and the obnoxious amount of sneakers stored in the cupboard underneath it.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I think I've been mistaking Felicia for Felicity, who was the daughter of an Erebonian noble who went to Jenis back in Sky and also had a maid following her around to handle her family issues. Hunh; all this time, I thought that was an Anton-class multi-game spanning character arc, but I guess it's not?

(Later Kiseki) You definitely find one of those two's manors somewhere in CS3, but I have no recollection of which it is at this point.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The Northern War anime did pull out a 10k mira bill, so those exist.

Ah, I see you've found my favourite 11-year old weapons dealer.

Achievement points can be spent on NG+ things, also concept art, music, etc.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Receptionist Lanfear legit made me shiver. Could you imagine what she'd do to lovely retail customers?

I do think that Felicity is the one who Classy Hydra is thinking of, but honestly i'm not sure.

As others have said, the requests really don't pay out enough to cover expenses, even if you do all of them. The IBC's exchange is critical to funding in later chapters - trading 100 of each kind of sepith is worth 18k mira, so I've found myself doing it once or twice a chapter just to keep up on equipment upgrades.

You thought it was Randy, but IT IS I, TIO!

vectoral
Nov 26, 2007

Tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.

Hwurmp posted:

e: Meghaduta is Sanskrit for Megadude
Dee Dee Meghaduta

..I'm kind of surprised people seem to prefer the Cold Steel orbment system to the one in the Sky/Crossbell games. The sepith line stuff is neat for letting you do hosed-up builds to get late game spells way earlier than you should, and it's fun to load up one of your dudes with All The Spells. The biggest thing for me is that it actually gives you a reason to bring the cooking/field recovery gems into fights, since they tend to give you way more Number than the generic stat buffs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The big reason I prefer the later system is it means I can more easily change quartz regularly. In CS, if I want to, say, remove an Information from one person and put it on another because I have a better fit for one character, I swap two orbs and I know what everyone's spells are. If I were to do this in Sky/Crossbell, this has a chance of completely loving two characters' builds and skills, Arts-wise, without a lot of trying to make sure I'm only shifting equivalent elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

secretly best girl posted:

The big reason I prefer the later system is it means I can more easily change quartz regularly. In CS, if I want to, say, remove an Information from one person and put it on another because I have a better fit for one character, I swap two orbs and I know what everyone's spells are. If I were to do this in Sky/Crossbell, this has a chance of completely loving two characters' builds and skills, Arts-wise, without a lot of trying to make sure I'm only shifting equivalent elements.

This. There's also a lot less futzing with menus from constantly swapping between the orbment menu and the bracer/detective notebook to look at what spells need what elements.