Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Jona's theme and the IBC basement theme are actually two different tunes although they use the same leitmotiff to denote the connection between the occupants of both rooms where said tunes play.

- The legendary journalist's name is revealed in Azure, although said person was already a background NPC you were able to talk to in Trails in the Sky the 3rd. (tip for later: remember where that Fulitzer price is)

- Arcus units from the third Cold Steel game onward already have cameras and primitive apps.

- Lloyd was the name of the NPC who... ahem... hooked Estelle on fishing. You first met him in FC at the lake inn in the Bose region (where Olivier got his attention by blowing in his ear) and in SC he was the one who gave Estelle the first fishing rod in Ruan. In 3rd, he was the first opponent in the dreaded Fishing Door. He was already first referred to when the SSS first met Joshua and Estelle, who mentioned they also knew a Lloyd and a Tio back home.

- 1:37:12 Hahaha.

- Yes, Janetta works at the department store. She and one of her colleagues even have a mini storyline stretching over the course of several games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I'll start caring about Trails into Daybreak after all three games are localized and average people can tell me if the writing for those games is consistently better than how CS 3/CS 4/Reverie turned out.
- The thing which most strongly colored my perceptions of Harold and Sophia was actually something Renne said in Sky SC, after her Chapter 7 boss fight. It can be found on the LP Archive. But it's okay to hold off and wait for more details to be revealed in Zero.
- Even if the Anniversary Festival is an official holiday, it would only be so for Crossbell. If Bond's employer does international trade, he probably has to work most of the week.
- It is Sergei Lou - in Zemuria (at least the western part), surnames come second. He's just rarely referred to by his surname.

- "Lloyd has the least game of any protagonist in the series until the next one." The Crossbell games are the best games in the Trails series, but one thing they fumble on is romance. Bonding points in Cold Steel kinda sucked for several reasons. However, Crossbell's method of having points, but tying relationships to obscure things hidden from the player, and not giving the player many chances where you can choose to hang out with a character of your choice is arguably worse.
- At least the writers course-corrected slightly after CS 2, and put in an actual arc for the Rean-Alisa romance. (Not for Rean in general, or even for Rean and all the top choices - just for Rean and Alisa.)
- Back in Cold Steel 1, you seemed to want final bonding events to reveal interesting backstory information. If that's what you still want, then here in Zero, pick Randy for the next two events where you have to choose one person - that will actually get you what you wanted - exclusive, interesting backstory information.

- You will have access to the upstairs and downstairs of the IBC for the rest of the game.
- No, you got it right the first time, Elie's double-fisted gun move is indeed Wild Swan.
- Rosenberg Studio genuinely does make extremely high-quality dolls which are just inanimate dolls and nothing more. They also happen to make other things as well. The trick is telling the inanimate dolls from the mechanical ones.
- Oh dear, you gave away the Moonlight Butterflies to the Jizo. That's a really good item and you can't make it yourself until at least late Chapter 4.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 30, 2024

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Z31. Deathblow Dungeon

So what was Yin doing the whole time we were climbing the tower, anyway? Reading a book? Can we have a chapter?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I suspect Yin had some way of checking in with Jona or getting a message from him, to know when the SSS found Jona and got the message.

- Jusis and Rufus do have similar speech patterns, which makes sense. It feels reasonable that Jusis would want to emulate the older brother he adored.
- Support turns are unfortunately both uncommon and unpredictable. It's not a great system.

- Noel has weak, but AoE ranged attacks, is a physical fighter, and not a caster. Her niche is AoE status infliction... which means she's less good farther into the games when immunity to status ailments becomes frequent.
- The presence of high-level monster chests is less because it means the main story will force you to go back to certain places later, and more because the Crossbell games give you basically the entire map early and so they sometimes need some high level content to go in lower level areas.
- I think the empty turn at the start is to allow a quick use of an S-Break to possibly steal a bonus.

- Exploding Talisman is nasty. It has a 90% chance of inflicting Deathblow.
- *Frustrated lack of CP noises* You did know you were entering a boss fight vs an assassin with many people low on CP. You could have gotten to full off-screen.
- Fun question to speculate on: How many more times do you think the SSS will fight Yin?
- I'd honestly put Randy ahead of Noel in the smarts department.
- The series is pretty light on the cross-dressing gag. I can only think of one other time, and that one is a few hundred hours away.
- People know about the bell in the tower, they just left this one up here.

- Lloyd doesn't have the context of "already played Cold Steel 2." At this point he's barely talked to Rixia, and she has not been acting especially suspiciously. Rixia was specifically at Arc-en-Ciel before the SSS went to Stargazer's Tower. He's going to need a lot more hints than just her being vague about her past. We only barely learned Elie's last name and her backstory, and the two other SSS members are also still mysterious and Lloyd has spent far more time with them.
- I don't think I would have counted what Lloyd said to Rixia as flirting either. Apparently in Zemuria, just saying nice or encouraging things to a girl counts as flirting.
- Wow. The last video is going to be pretty short. I don't know what claw game looked up, but it's not at all a stealth section, or especially involved.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You might remember those skull-faced cannons from Trails in the Sky the 3rd, where a whole group of them was one of the bosses of the third chapter, although this time they don't have a phantasmal copy of Kevin to spam Grail Sphere and keep them under max guard status.

Fun fact: the doppelgangers can also use Exploding Talisman. If you're not kitted out in anti-deathblow gear and the RNG decides it hates you and you're not gonna win, Yin will just create several copies and they'll all be spamming that one move until the last member of your team stops moving. One difference between the doppelgangers and the real one (or rather the 2nd generation body doubles and the 1st generation body double) is that the weaker copies are vulnerable to AT delay while the main one is not, so Randy and Noel can use their crafts to keep them pinned down. None of the foes in that fight are immune to stat-down, so spamming Chrono Down on them in order to limit the number of turns they get is considered a very good strategy on harder difficulties.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 8, 2024

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love Noel. I wasn't a big fan of her my first time through the duology, but she grew on me and her arc was pretty great, even if it does feel like it replaces a certain someone's arc whose basically sidelined in Azure.

Her biggest strength is also her biggest weakness. When she's useful, which is 90% of the time, she is incredibly useful. Debuffing in a game where it's actually useful and makes a ton of hard fights manageable, natural AoE, and solid physical stats. Very handy to have around and I tend to replace Elie with her for random battles. But that 10% of the time she's useless and, sometimes, an active liability and should be regulated to buffing and item usage, which aren't always the best option. She really blooms in Azure. Between her and Randy's Crash Bomb, 75% of random battles are in the bag

Also it's fun to imagine her just hauling around an armory wherever she goes

All that said...while we're approaching the end of it, we're still at that first part of Trails games before the fun stuff becomes readily accessible so she's just ok right now

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Support turns are unfortunately both uncommon and unpredictable. It's not a great system.

I like the system, but it has a pretty glaring flaw. The ones that are offensive are all AoE, and one of Trails' favorite things is making you fight a group of enemies who have a strong attack they use once they've been damaged at all. And as a result, those fights are going to be long so you're almost certainly gonna find yourself in a tough spot if you don't forget to turn them off.

The defensive ones are great. Elie gets pretty nerfed in Azure so, outside of a few fights, I kept her on the back lines whenever possible. She used Saintly Bullet surprisingly often.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 8, 2024

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In terms of combat, the SSS is so well balanced that swapping someone else in, anyone else, tends to be a worse choice. For Noel specifically, in combat she came across to me as mostly useless whenever I had the possibility of using someone else. (Her locked Earth slot does not help because Earth is a bad element for stats, and she isn't good at casting.) In terms of personality, she started out fine, but as time passed, I started to find her schtick more tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In terms of combat, the SSS is so well balanced that swapping someone else in, anyone else, tends to be a worse choice. For Noel specifically, in combat she came across to me as mostly useless whenever I had the possibility of using someone else. (Her locked Earth slot does not help because Earth is a bad element for stats, and she isn't good at casting.) In terms of personality, she started out fine, but as time passed, I started to find her schtick more tiresome.

It's probably my playstyle, but I've always been a student of the school of "you don't need to heal if the bad guys die quick enough". I tend to only put Elie on the front lines for boss fights whenever possibly because even by the end of both games, 3 physical attackers + Tio is usually enough for the randos and quicker. Zero is when Trails starts to dip it's toe into giving you the tools to bust the game wide open

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 9, 2024