Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
I would like Piloting 6 for Mars and also Ishtar for the name alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Been reading up on battletech builds and I think I'd like Soylent to work towards Bulwark, Sure Footing, and eventually Coolant Vent.

Also voting Samantha or Ishtar.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Two more mission restarts - it seems to hate me at this level, but I need to make the jump to Mediums, which is the hardest part of the game.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i swear that this hermes is cursed

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

biosterous posted:

i swear that this hermes is cursed

It is blessed to always find ammunition on the battlefield.
Unfortunately that ammunition seems to come primarily from enemy guns

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Is there a way to improve the armor of your Hermes so it doesn’t get shredded quite so often? I’m imagining our Mechwarriors drawing straws to see who gets stuck with the thing.

Anyway, your choice for what to do with Mars’ xp. I’d like to work up to Guts 8, but I also don’t want to neglect her other stats.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That Urbie might be better off with an AC/5 instead of the AC/10. You're mostly using it for long-range fire anyway, and you get more ammo for the lighter AC.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gnoman posted:

That Urbie might be better off with an AC/5 instead of the AC/10. You're mostly using it for long-range fire anyway, and you get more ammo for the lighter AC.

I think I even saw an SLDF AC5 in his sell screen. Dunno if it'd be worth packing more jump jets in too, not like Sir Urb has heat issues

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

That's a good idea, I might be able to squeeze some other guns in there as well.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

So are we basically stuck doing 1.5 skull missions until we can get heavy mechs?

It seems like your strategy is to prioritize the Argo so we can have more pilots and mechs and run missions more frequently? Is that the point you'll focus on getting heavier mechs?

It also seems like you're really focusing on salvage and just enough money to not go bankrupt? What's the reasoning there? Just to get more mechs?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Can I get Multi-Target\Breaching shot\Bulwark build (Gunnery+guts build)?

Gnoman posted:

Also, could put a PPC instead, if you have one (does this mod lowers PPC energy cost to tabletop level, or still like vanilla?)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

So are we basically stuck doing 1.5 skull missions until we can get heavy mechs?

It seems like your strategy is to prioritize the Argo so we can have more pilots and mechs and run missions more frequently? Is that the point you'll focus on getting heavier mechs?

It also seems like you're really focusing on salvage and just enough money to not go bankrupt? What's the reasoning there? Just to get more mechs?

Pretty much, we need the salvage, buying a medium on the money we're getting would take forever, so I'm boosting our repair/crew abilities to get those bonuses running early. The crew upgrade will mean we can run more missions and bring in more money and salvage.

Getting up to medium is the hardest part of the game, especially with 5 salvage per mech. Once we break that I'll get more cash and things should get easier. I'll also get to the point where I'll have 4 bits of a load of mechs and things will suddenly snowball.

That's the hope at least!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Man, I'm properly edging bankcrupcy on this one!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the hermes gets killed in the restart mission, and once again loses an arm in the final mission

at this point i have no idea how you're convincing us to climb into the thing :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

biosterous posted:

the hermes gets killed in the restart mission, and once again loses an arm in the final mission

at this point i have no idea how you're convincing us to climb into the thing :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnY9kOkhjm4

Sadly, this knowledge is lostech

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That was a pretty good boost in performance for the Urbie. The SLDF Ultra AC/5 would probably have been a bad idea - seems too shiny to risk at this point.

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
We really, really need to replace that Hermes with something that doesn’t fall apart if an enemy sneezes too hard.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
As a general goal, keep pushing Vedette towards Gunnery 8 please Grey.

MarmaladeSkies posted:

We really, really need to replace that Hermes with something that doesn’t fall apart if an enemy sneezes too hard.

That new Wasp should solve that, surely :haw:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two missions against heavy resistance, but we come out okay, and get another light mech! I now have the choice of running another mission before payday with a slightly lighter force, or waiting another day for the firestarter!

Here’s our rogues gallery!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 17, 2023

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Your audio is messed up from the start of the second mission. The game audio is fine, its your voice over that's all choppy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Catzilla posted:

Your audio is messed up from the start of the second mission. The game audio is fine, its your voice over that's all choppy.

The crash may have ballsed things up. I'll take a look tomorrow morning

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grey Hunter posted:

Two missions against heavy resistance, but we come out okay, and get another light mech! I now have the choice of running another mission before payday with a slightly lighter force, or waiting another day for the firestarter!

The image points to the Part 7 video.

I found Part 9 on your channel page though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EvCcPWGYo

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

multi-target for biosterous please!

i am shocked and appalled that the firestarter got messed up instead of the hermes in the last mission

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I don't see anyone else with a specialization in Guts, so that's what dogfood will do

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Rerecorded the audio, and the same thing happens again.....
Trying again tomorrow.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grey Hunter posted:

Rerecorded the audio, and the same thing happens again.....
Trying again tomorrow.

In case it helps, the choppiness kicks in at 25:45 or so.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fx1P-A-RU

Right! Attempt two!
Stupid computer.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Hetzers are probably one of the scariest opponents to fight.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Hetzers are probably one of the scariest opponents to fight.

Yeah, that thing needed to die quickly. AC20's vs light mechs are no joke!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

AC/20 against any mech is no joke, really.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Why don't we only run AC/20s then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Why don't we only run AC/20s then

Why don't they make the whole mech out of the ac20

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Why don't they make the whole mech out of the ac20

If we lose the SLAC5, I'll try and rebuild the urbi to carry an AC20.

That used to scare the hell out of people.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The problem with AC/20 Urbie is that you have to compromise the armor just a bit too much, and can't fit a lot of ammo. A Hunchback or Centurion are really the smallest practical carriers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also because: you've seen how much it hurts when the AC 10 misses. It's even more painful when it's an AC20 missing.

Though Grey needs to remembe sir Urb doesn't have many heat issues and can jump jet around for evasion + angles a LOT. I'm at the point in my playthrough where I'm considering ditching jump jets on my lights for more dakka and armour

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two missions today - one is really hard, the second, really easy - but at least we have two Phoenix Hawks now, and things will hopefully speed up a bit now!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Well that Taurian job got a bit hairy :stare: More Mediums is no bad thing, though.
Keep pushing Vedette towards Gunnery 8, please, Breaching Shot ain't no joke when you're putting AC10 / 20 rounds into someone who thinks guarding or cover will protect them! E: Particularly because, unless the mod changes this, the behaviour of the skill in the core game means if you Multi-Target 3 mechs but only shoot one weapon at each of those mechs, all 3 Mechs will suffer the Breaching Shot effect...
(And I admit I totally want my pilot to be formally called a Gladiator...)

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 18, 2023

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Mars has some very strong opinions about being stuck with the Hermes, ahaha. Please keep working her towards Guts 8.

Also, you have some pretty bad audio scramble starting at around the 25 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Still able to make out "what the bloody hell was that about"