Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

In 2019, Jerusalem (from whom I have stolen the vast majority of this opening post, with his blessing) started an annual tradition of asking Punch Sport Pagoda to post their top ten favourite active singles wrestlers. Through all of these threads, one question has been asked again and again by many a poster -- "So, how do I rank the Young Bucks?" In 2021, I gave you the chance to answer that question, and in 2022 you'll get the chance to answer it again!

This is your chance to rank those wrestlers, who individually may not warrant a place on your top ten favourite wrestler list, but together really do it for you. Maybe a few years ago, this wouldn't really have been worth doing but now with AEW leading the charge with a thriving tag team division, NJPW actually caring slightly about its tag team division, and the greater accessibility to all kinds of promotions around the world (and their tag team divisions) it might be worth giving it a shot.

So here is how it is going to work - think about all the tag teams currently working in major promotions, the indies, in America, Japan, Britain, Australia, Finland and anywhere else in the world. Write up who you are your current favorites, rank them from one to ten and then post them here in the thread. Feel free to go into as much or as little detail as you want as to why you've chosen who you've chosen, or to argue the case for any one (or more) particular tag team you want to.

I'll accept lists posted up till midnight JST on the 27th of February. Points will be assigned to each of the selected wrestlers and we'll see how each tag team ranks - who the forum's overall favorite is and how other wrestlers rank beside them. Points will work based on individual rankings, with 10 points for a 1st place rank and 1 point for a 10th place rank. So for example:

Poster A posted:

1. The Young Bucks
2. FTR
3. The Usos
4. Astronauts
5. The Briscoe Brothers
6. Maihime
7. Iyo Sky & Dakota Kai
8. Daydream
9. Little Twin Berries
10. EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi

Poster B posted:

1. The Briscoe Brothers
2. Aussie Open
3. FTR
4. Daydream
5. The Young Bucks
6. Catch 2/2
7. The Acclaimed
8. TayJay
9. MaiHime
10. Iyo Sky & Dakota Kai

Would result in:

FTR = 17
The Briscoe Brothers = 16
The Young Bucks = 16
Daydream = 10
Best Friends = 9
The Usos = 8
MaiHime = 7
Astronauts = 7
Iyo Sky & Dakota Kai = 5
Catch 2/2 = 5
The Acclaimed = 4
TayJay = 3
Little Twin Berries = 2
EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi = 1

For the sake of my sanity I'll be keeping a running tally of points, so all votes as made are final - so no editing your post after the fact or posting 27 posts later, "Change my vote for Tetsuya Naito & SANADA into a vote for The Usos!" - think VERY CAREFULLY before making your selection! Also, please consider:

• If an individual wrestler is in more than one tag team, it's perfectly fine to have them show up multiple times on your list. If you really love Ryusuke Taguchi, and want to submit a list with 1. 6 or 9, 2. Wild Hips, then that's great!
  • After going back and fore whether to allow for the Freebird Rule and let people post trios who alternate which two members constitute the tag team, I decided it would be too messy to try and figure out what to do with 50 votes for Lucha Brothers and 10 votes for Death Triangle, so you can only vote for two person tag teams. It's perfectly fine to have, for example House of Torture (EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi) and House of Torture (EVIL & Dick Togo) as two separate entries on the list.
  • If you don't rank your list, I'll assume whoever is at the top is #1 and whoever is at the bottom is at #10.
  • You must choose a tag team who was ACTIVE in 2022. That means they have had at least one match as a tag team between January 1st and December 31st, 2022. Teams that are no longer active in 2023 are eligible as long as they teamed in 2022, so e.g. Swerve in Our Glory, Dangerous Tekkers and The Briscoe Brothers are all viable choices.
  • In the event that a wrestlers' points total equals that of another, they'll be listed in alphabetical order.
  • Do NOT denigrate the choices of anybody else, these lists are subjective and will provide a generalized consensus but not a definitive one.
  • You can note any honorable mentions as well, if you are really struggling to remove people from your top choices. They won't count for points, but if you truly feel deep within your heart that General's Jewel or Alpha Academy need some kind of recognition, they'll get it from your post.
  • If you can, please include the promotion(s) they (mostly) wrestle in. It's not necessary, but it can add some fun/interesting stats stuff later on.
  • Please include the names of the members of the tag team! I can figure out who you mean if you post "The Young Bucks", but for example, there are two different tag teams named "Best Friends" who wrestled in 2022.
  • You don't need to post a full top ten! This is true for the top singles wrestlers true, but it's worth pointing out here as coming up with ten of your favourite tag teams is a lot more difficult than coming up with ten individual wrestlers you love. You can submit any number of teams as you like and they'll be counted the same, so if you get to 7 teams and really can't bring yourself to care about whether Flying Tiger or Butcher and the Blade would come next then you can feel free to just stop there.

And now, to kick things off - my "Top Ten":

1. Las Fresas de Egoistas (ASUKA & Makoto) - SEAdLINNNG - I voted them number one in 2021 and I'm not changing my vote. They are the best part of SEAd, and can always be guaranteed to deliver a great match.

2. TMDK ("Hysterical" Shane Haste & "Mad" Mikey Nicholls) - NJPW - Other people may be more enamoured of another Australian NJPW tag team, but it was TMDK who grabbed my attention on NJPW STRONG and through the World Tag League. Haste is a deeply weird dude, and Mikey is just plain mad. Some of the best matches of tag league and with ZSJ as their frontman now, 2023 is only going to be better.

3. 7UPP (Nanae Takahashi & Yuu) - Stardom - Nanae and Yuu add a much needed hoss tag team to Stardom. Seeing them throw the Stardom roster around is a delight (and Yuu's powerbomb finish is one of the best I've seen). It was a delight seeing them run through the tag league field and dispatching meltear at Sumo Hall.

4. Swerve in Our Glory (Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee) - AEW - It was not the longest run a tag team has ever had, but it was a good one. They delivered some of the best matches of the year (including putting on the best match of Forbidden Door in the pre-show!), and helped make The Acclaimed into a genuine top of the card act.

5. Gungnir of Anarchy (Shotaro Ashino & Ryuki Honda) - AJPW - Just seeing them in their goofy loving sunglasses makes me laugh and that would be enough to get them on this list, but they're also really, really loving good in the ring.

6. Team 200kg (Chihiro Hashimoto & Yuu) - Sendai Girls - Yuu's second appearance on my list. She's just amazing in these big hoss tag teams. Plus they enter to Bon Jovi, what's not to love?

7. LiYOH (Lio Rush & YOH) - NJPW - A combination that I doubt anybody expected coming into 2022. Lio helped accelerate the development of YOH's personality that had started with his feud with House of Torture. They had a fantastic run in the Super Junior Tag League, that was kicked off with a match with...

8. Catch 2/2 (TJP & Francesco Akira) - NJPW - I really loving hate to put TJP on this list, but I love the good evil Italian boy, and of all the teams on this list, Catch 2/2 have has the best year in ring. I'm always excited to see them on the card, no matter who they're facing, they always deliver.

9. Soul Meat (Toru Sugiura & Tomoya Hirata) - FREEDOMS - Two big boys who loving love deathmatches.

10. Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) - NJPW - They didn't really do much in 2022, and then they broke up, and it was heartbreaking. I can't not rank them on my list. Goodbye to Dangerous Tekkers, my favourite tag team of all time.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Reserved for results

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Reserved for individual lists

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yeah, will need to think long and hard about who to put on my list and who gets left off.

P.S I really like that rule regarding how to handle Trios and wider Stables as part of this, give Ryusuke Taguchi as much shine as you can!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
1. Daddy magic and Cool Hand Ang (2.0)

They had a goddamn 5* match on 2022 therefore best team, checkmate nerds :smug:

2. Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara

3. Conti and Anna Jay

stab fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 30, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
1. FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood)
2. The Briscoes (Jay and Mark Briscoe)
3. Swerve in Our Glory (Swerve Strickland and Keith Lee)
4. The Acclaimed (Max Caster and Anthony Bowens)
5. Lucha Bros (Rey Fenix and Penta)
6. Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson)
7. Aussie Open (Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher)
8. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy Jack Perry and Luchasaurus)
9. Best Friends (Chuckie T & Trent Beretta)
10. Hookhausen (Hook and Danhausen)

HM: United Empire (Cobb & Khan), 2Point0 (Matt Menard and Angelo Parker), The Workhorsemen (JD Drake and Anthony Henry)

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 30, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

[*]Please include the names of the members of the tag team! I can figure out who you mean if you post "The Young Bucks", but for example, there are two different tag teams named "Best Friends" who wrestled in 2022.

If people don't specify then i'm sure they want the points to go to Arisa and Tsukka, it's only natural. Doing my same self imposed rule as last time, that the same person can't be on the points list for different teams and that a stable can only be represented by one team. Cutting to 10 remains very difficult.

Honorable Mentions
- 37KAMIINA (ASUKA/MAO) (DDT)
- Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher and Mark Davis) (NJPW)
- Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobi Kanemaru and El Desperado) (NJPW)
- Team 200kg (Chihiro Hashimoto and Yuu) (Sendai Girls)
- The Untouchables (Damian Slater and Marcius Pitt) (EPW)
- Daisy Monkey (Arisu Endo and Suzume) (TJPW)
- BULK Orchestra (Check Shimatani and Hayato Tamura) (GLEAT)
- Toyo Mates (Kamiyu and Mahiro Kiryu) (TJPW)

Top 10
10. Miyaken to Takuya (Kento Miyahara and Takuya Nomura) (AJPW)

Love this pairing, only reason they're this low is that they only formed for Tag League in November but in the last two months of the year they put together some absolute belters, including getting a very good match out of Cyrus.
Match Recommendation: vs Shuji Ishikawa and Cyrus - AJPW December 7th

9. Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr and Taichi) (NJPW)

Consistently put on great matches but spent most of the year working on their singles career and only loving from afar. Now broken up, but the pain is still real.
Match Recommendation: vs Bishamon (YOSHI-HASHI and Hirooki Goto) - NJPW January 4th

8. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki) (TJPW)

Two bubbly ladies barely bothering to hide the fact that they are pure evil, just real merciless bullying of the entire roster
Match Recommendation: vs Reiwa AA Cannon (Yuki Arai and Saki Akai) - TJPW July 9th

7. Catch 2/2 (Francesco Akira and TJP) (NJPW)

I've been a fan of TJP's wrestling going back a decade to the PWG days, but his personality has consistently got in the way of calling him a favourite. Now he has a loud italian son to take the edge off (plus having Henare in your faction means there's no way you'll be the least popular) and he even comes across as charming sometimes, like how he has to do up Akira's ties for him.
Match Recommendation: vs LiYOH (Lio Rush and YOH) - NJPW November 21st

6. Calamari Drunken Kings (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi) (DDT/ChocoPro)

CDK all fuckin day, these two have the kind of chemistry that few other teams can touch, I enjoy both guys individually but CDK feels way more than the sum of their parts
Match Recommendation: vs 37KAMIINA (ASUKA and MAO) - DDT May 22nd

5. DayDream (Miu Watanabe and Rika Tatsumi) (TJPW)

L-O-V-gently caress YOU and the other memes, DayDream are my favourite team in a promotion with a lot of fantastic teams. I love Miu, but like above with CDK I am way higher on Rika's tag stuff than I am on her singles matches, she and Miu just get it
Match Recommendation: vs Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki) - TJPW March 19th

4. Bishamon (YOSHI-HASHI and Hirooki Goto) (NJPW)

I'll just copy over last year's post. "YH and his deadweight were a welcome addition to the always stagnant IWGP tag title picture". This year the scene is a little less stagnant since they added even more teams, but Bishamon are still on of the most consistently exciting teams there. Good on you Hash and friend.
Match Recommendation: vs Aussie Open (Kyle Davies and Mark Fletcher) - NJPW December 12th

3. Harimao (Kazusada Higuchi and Naomi Yoshimura) (DDT)

I'll admit, I was wary when Higuchi left Eruption, my favourite tag team of 2021 to join with Yoshimura (who was in probably my favourite team of 2020) but I was definitely proved wrong. These guys were fantastic together and had a great title run that was unfortunately ended by Yoshimura's (still ongoing) injury. Hopefully he's able to get well soon and they challenge for the belts in 2023.
Match Recommendation: vs 37KAMIINA (ASUKA and MAO) - DDT July 7th

2. Gungnir of Anarchy (Shotaro Ashino and Ryuki Honda) (AJPW)

How they formed didn't make any sense, They were teaming, then Honda turned on him to join Total Esclipse, they had a brutal last man standing match, then Total Eclipse collapsed and they were teaming again like nothing happened. They were already entertaining in the ring then they got even more glasses wearing weirdos and it all came together, love me some GoA
Match Recommendation: vs Stronghearts (T-Hawk and Shigehiro Irie) - AJPW July 18th

ShunMAO (Shunma Katsumata and MAO) (DDT)

My favourite incarnation of 37KAMIINA, overtaking the Takeshita/Shunma pairing from last year. These guys do it all, from wild hardcore to absurdist comedy to high energy spotfests to straight wrestling contests. Love them, love the Sauna Club, want them to get on a Dark taping so the American audience can see some more of the phenominal talent hanging out in DDT.
Match Recommendation: vs REVENGERS (ASUKA and Yuji Hino) - DDT April 22nd

For ease of reading:
10. MIyaken to Takuya (Kento Miyahara and Takuya Nomura)
9. Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr and Taichi)
8. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki)
7. Catch 2/2 (Francesco Akira and TJP)
6. CDK (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi)
5. DayDream (Miu Watanabae and Rika Tatsumi)
4. Bishamon (YOSHI-HASHI and Hirooki Goto)
3. Harimao (Kazusada Higuchi and Naomi Yoshimura)
2. Gungnir of Anarchy (Shotaro Ashino and Ryuki Honda)
1. ShunMAO (Shunma Katsumata and MAO)

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 24, 2023

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i had to remember that this list is my faves and not who i think is the best

1- the briscoes - i had heard of these two since watching aew and i knew their roh match with ftr was going to be a Big Deal. and they gave us three of the best tag matches i have ever seen. rip jay briscoe and god drat this cruel world
2- swerve in our glory - so loving good. they had two unforgettable matches this year and their dynamic loving ruled
3- lucha brothers - baddest dudes on the planet
4- chaos project - chaos project is so loving underrated, absolute top-tier comedy and shenanigans
5- dark order (alex reynolds & john silver) - their combo finisher loving rocks and i hope they get another push one day
5- top flight - thank goodness darius healed up because these two are loving awesome and their big win over the bucks owned
6- ftr - they had the best run of the year, by far
7- the acclaimed - everyone. loves. the acclaimed
8- young bucks - an absolute all-timer best-of-seven run as the elite. unbelievably talented
9- best friends (chuck taylor & trent beretta) - one day. ONE DAY they’ll get their big push in aew
10- the butcher and the blade - they both reinvented themselves outside of kayfabe and i hope they keep building confidence

hm:
blackpool combat club (claudio castagnoli & wheeler yuta) - these two work so well together, i hope they get more matches in 2023
kings of the black throne - big spooky and ultra cool
the wingmen (pretty peter avalon & ryan nemeth) - i love these two goobers
street profits - is it such a loving shame these two are in the fed
new day (kofi kingston & xavier woods) - same

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
10 Nino Hamburguesa y Mr. Iguana (AAA)
9 BUSSY (Allie Ketch & EFFY) (GCW)
8 Braun Strowman & Ricochet (WWE)
7 Hit Row (Top Dolla & Ashante Thee Adonis) (WWE)
6 The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum) (Indies. AEW)
5 Adam Scherr & EC3 (Control Your Narrative)
4 Maximum Male Models (ma.ce & man.soor) (WWE)
3 Nikkita Lyons & Zoey Stark (WWE)
2 Ric Flair & Andrade El Idolo (Jim Crockett Promotions)
1 The Good Brothers/The OC (Karl Anderson & Doc/Luke Gallows) (Impact, NJPW, WWE)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

thinking about posting a list

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

but also: turbo floyd

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I struggle joining in lists like these bc I'm no longer the person I was 15 years ago when I'd be keeping tabs on WWE/TNA/ROH/NOAH/PWG/CHIKARA. I'm pretty much just AEW/ROH only. But it is a drat shame that my #1 have wrestled their last match together.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

10. The Acclaimed (Max Caster & Anthony Bowens) (AEW)
9. Daisy Monkey (Arisu Endo & Suzume) (TJPW)
8. Swerve In Our Glory (Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee) (AEW)
7. FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler) (AEW)
6. Black Desire (Momo Watanabe & Starlight Kid) (Stardom)
5. Lucha Bros (Rey Fenix & Penta El Zero Miedo) (AEW)
4. AphroditE (Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita) (Stardom)
3. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada (NJPW)
2. The Briscoe Brothers (ROH+)
1. The Young Bucks (AEW)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
10. Party Posse (Jimmmy Jammer and El TikTok, MEGA Wrestling)
- local northeast ohio tag team that includes a friend of mine I play RPGS with in person and thus must include in this list.
09. the Team of Rivals (Maki Itoh and Hikari Noa, TJPW)
- It happens every time, but Maki Itoh and Hikari Noa teaming together only for their long history of rivalry to rear its head and cause them to squabble is some of my favorite "can they coexist" booking. They really encapsulate a team of rivals fighting with each other as much as their opponent.
08.121000000 (Maki Itoh and Miyu Yamashita, TJPW)
- In the more healthy Maki Itoh tag team, 121000000 represent maybe the peak of what TJPW combines into its shows. A showy wrestler who got over on the basis or her being highly entertaining and a lady who kicks so good she's is effortlessly cool.
07. Daydream (Miu Watanabe and Rika Tatsumi, TJPW)
- Sometimes I want to L-O-V-E prowres, and sometimes I want to Say Hello Say Goodbye, and this team truly lets me do both. Shame about the theme music choices.
06. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Mizuki and Yuka Sakazaki, TJPW)
- Magirabbi might be evil, but they are also insanely great wrestlers doing insanely great wrestling. There is a good reason that they keep having Mizuki/Yuka main event big shows.
05. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama and Mei Saint-Michel [feat. et al], TJPW)
- :france: :france: :france:
04. Karate Girls (Juria Nagano and Moka Miyamoto, TJPW)
- I did not know what needed to make Moka Miyamoto one of my real favorites in TJPW (as opposed to my lower card favorites [shouts out to Mahiro]) was to pair her with the TikTok/Nurse/Actor rookie under a shared love of karate. The two different types of people who do karate is such a great contrast while also not at all that I really wanted them to win the Max Heart coming out of their sporadic appearances last year.
03. Best Bros (Mei Suruga and Baliyan Akki, Gatoh Move)
- the best bros are two great wrestlers that also work great together and the dolphin press is p. cool. I will one day see them wrestler in a place that I can actually go to and not like Dayton or Cinci or even, shudder, Kentucky.
02. Wasteland War Party (Max the Impaler and Heidi Howitzer, Freelance)
- After hearing about the cool gimmick on the horizons of posting about Abadon, seeing the Wasteland War Party hit TJPW via Max the Impaler's incredible story with Pom and then a promo video is enough to net the second spot on this list. It's favorites motherfuckers. oh poo poo.
01. The Raku Appreciation Society (Raku and Yuki Aino [feat. Pom Harajuku, Aja Kong, and sometimes Ram Kaicho], TJPW)
- I still cannot believe that Raku got pushed to a title match of any kind in TJPW. But teaming with Yuki Aino and winning matches has added something weird to her matches, like actual moves and timing and poo poo. Raku and her cast of characters that surround her for weird and highly entertaining matches have broken into something real with Raku. She's starting to become actually good now. Or maybe I'm just fully through the looking glass with my originally ironic fandom of the sleepy train god.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 30, 2023

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I like tag team wrestling!

A lot of of my top 10 guys are considered tag team guys, or at least part-time tag team guys. Trying to only vote for active teams and teams that are currently intact.

1) FTR: Top guys, I hear. No weak link in the team, though Dax is probably the better wrestler? Good promos, 7 star matches, and they still have to occasionally remind Tony Khan to book them. Nobody is better right now.

2) Best Friends (Trent/Chuck): They have not been tag champs yet and I do not understand. Want a comedy match? They've got you. Need a 5 star brawl? They've done at least two. Want someone to make goofy faces at Mark Henry? They've got you.

3) The New Day (Woods/Kingston): Trying very hard not to be sour. I... feel like they're almost being pushed out of the company? The disrespect shown to them after Big E's injury is.. baffling. I could type a lot about why VKM doesn't like this group, but let's just call it... writer's fatigue. (Even though New Day pretty much does all of their own writing and re-invention) If this was based on accomplishment this year instead me just loving these guys, I'd have a hard time listing them.

4) Lucha Brothers (Fenix/Penta): They're fun, they have great matches, and Alex tells us what Penta is saying. What's not to love? They sometimes team with a troll with a tiny hammer.

5) Alpha Academy (Gable/Otis): This is more about Gable for me than Otis, but I like the idea of Chris Farley Jr., Professional Wrestler. They hit a lot of the classic clichés for me, and then they hit the ring, and Gable does his thing.

6) Top Flight (The Martin brothers) : Based purely on skill, they might contend with FTR. They've also only had a few sparse months where they've both been healthy. Next year, they could be number 1. Need to develop something character wise, but I'm always fascinated to see them.

7) Private Party (Marq Quen and Isiah Cassidy): Can we save them from Matt Hardy? Just free them from his orbit? Remember when they beat the Bucks and then spent 3 years wallowing in mediocrity and losses? Can we just have them take on Top Flight every week?

8) Emi Sakura and Mei Suruga: Emi is a treasure, and their double team move, The Transformer, always makes me shout at my screen. Barely an active tag team, but gently caress it. They bring me joy. Moreso, when they still had Lulu, but much joy.

9) Dark Order (Reynolds/Silver): Almost a Freebird act with whoever is in the group with them at any given time, Reynolds and Silver are actually even better at tandem offense than FTR. Too bad they appear on Dark 97% of the time.

10) The Butcher & The Blade: They're kinda like AEW's version of the APA. Except I like them way more.

Honourable mentions and maybe help for people looking to round out their lists:

The Young Bucks
The Acclaimed
2POINT0 (Are they even a team, anymore?)
Uno and Stu (same)
Tabernac de Team (love 'em, but haven't seen them in 3 years)
The Briscoes
The Bunny and Penelope Ford (got injured together)
Anna Jay and Taynara Conti (haven't wrestled much in the JAS)
Swerve in our Glory (Broke up)
Chaos Project
Santana and Ortiz (not a team, anymore?)
Magical Sugar Rabbits (on name alone)

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 30, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
10. Top Flight - so glad to finally have them back
9. 121000000 - you think I'm not gonna vote for Maki here too?
8. Catch 2/2 - so good I can excuse the fact half of them is TJP
7. Swerve In Our Glory - Swerve why did you have to be a piece of poo poo :(
6. Aussie Open - finally getting the recognition they deserve
5. TayJay - they are the street fight
4. Dangerous Tekkers - gone but not forgotten
3. The Briscoes - reach for the sky Jay :smith:
2. FTR - the best tag team of the year
1. The Acclaimed - my favourite tag team of the year

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

10. The Acclaimed
I'm somewhat partial to the Acclaimed, I suppose.

9. The Lucha Bros
Kick rear end entrances, rad masks, skeletons, CIERO MIEDO, what's not to love?

8. Kings of the Black Throne (Malakai Black and Brody King)
A tatted up Dutchman who'll kick your loving head off and a big burly lad who'll bulldoze through you with a great entrance. What's not to love?

7. Swerve In Our Glory (Swerve Strickland and Keith Lee)
Hell yeah, always put on some great matches and some excellent character work from both. Shame it had to end.

6. TayJayAS (Tay Melo and Anna Jay)
Put these two ladies in a tag team street fight, and they'll put on a hell of a show. They don't wrestle as a team often, but when they do, it loving rules.

5. Great O-Khan and Jeff Cobb
Cool music, and cool moves. I like them.

4. Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr and Taichi)
If you weren't enjoying these two boys doing a tag team, you're watching wrestling wrong.

3. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay and Mark Briscoe)
They didn't get the massive TV platform they deserved, but they made every opportunity count. 3 big tag title matches with ROH, 3 absolute belters.

2. Bishamon (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI)
The two fail sons of CHAOS joining up to be the two success sons of CHAOS. Isn't that just lovely.

1. FTR
You just know that when these guys lace up their boots and their Midnight Express-esque theme plays, you're going to have a great time. Just ignore Dax saying stupid poo poo all the time.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
My only issue with stable/trios teams here is that I can't justify separating out one person I like from the others AND I can't justify multiple entries because I have too many to mention. So I'll just say here that if we had a Trios list, Death Triangle is #1.

Closely following the Goddesses of Stardom Tag League also completely destroyed the list I would've had otherwise, because there were just so many great tag teams not to list them.

HM:

Bamishiri Brothers [DG] - HYO & SB KENTo have magic chemistry together, but SBK's excursion for much of the year meant the boys had to be separated. I miss them.

7Upp [Stardom] - Good as hell. Nanae has been having a killer veteran run, and Yuu is a fave of mine. Also, cool hats!

Karate Brave [Stardom] - I really like Inaba's karate style and I hope she goes far. Syuri is Syuri; I don't need to say much else, she's one of the best in the world.

Dangerous Tekkers [NJPW] - I admittedly didn't watch as much New Japan last year other than the big events, but the matches I saw ruled.

Black Generation (Flamita & YUTANI) [Big Lucha/GLEAT] - I saw theming team in lucha promotions before they both came to GLEAT to form BG International. I've been a Flamita fan for a long time, and YUTANI has a great look and a really interesting style.

Top 10:

10) MaiHime [Stardom] - Their styles are very different, but Himeka is fun to watch and I often forget how strong Maika is until I see her absolutely truck someone.

9) BULK Orchestra (Check Shimatani & Hayato Tamura) [GLEAT] - Check is superbly entertaining, and BO turning semi-face simply by getting out-heeled by another unit is hilarious. Great tag title run so far.

8) Briscoe Bros [ROH] - Judging solely on 2022 and trying not to let recency color my perspective, they still had a better year than most. I just wish they'd gotten to wrestle more last year.

7) Team 200kg (Yuu & Chihiro Hashimoto) [Sendai Girls] - Imagine if Rhino & Ishii teamed up in their primes and just steamrolled everyone, except they're joshi and murdering opponents half their size.

6) D'courage (Dragon Dia & Yuki Yoshioka) [DG] - The most wholesome story of 2022: Two bitter rivals unmasked, found solidarity, became best friends, and won a bunch of belts together.

5) Black Desire (Starlight Kid & Momo Watanabe) - SLK can not put on a bad match, and 'Black Peach' Momo is one of my favorite heels right now and really carried Oedo Tai while Tora was injured.

4) Mafia Bella (Giulia & Thekla) [Stardom] - Not only are they awesome in the ring, these two are like, unfair levels of cool. Just look at how loving cool these two are: 1 2 3

3) Z-Brats (Shun Skywalker & Diamante) [DG] - Diamante is one of the best bases in Japan right now, and teaming with Shun as some of the tallest guys in DG just made them look unstoppable. They had my 2022 MOTY at Kobe World last summer, against my #2...

2) Kung Fu Vibes (Jason Lee & Jacky 'Funky' Kamei) [DG] - Beyond the MOTY, they had one of the best stories of the year, with Jason trying desperately to escape Shun's stalker obsession, and Shun turning Jacky into a plaything when he got bored of Jason, only for the two bullied friends to form an HK martial arts themed sub-unit and get back at Z-Brats for months of torture.

1) State of Emergency (Sebastian Wolfe & Miles Deville) [NEW/Defy/Prestige] - Yeah, I put an indie team at the top. The best-kept secret in wrestling today. They collected more tag belts in 2022 than FTR, they can pull off any style and any kind of match, and have wicked tag chemistry. Back in October I saw them live in a bloody streetfight in Vancouver, then a kickass match with Second Gear Crew in Seattle in the same weekend as if they hadn't just taken bumps into Lego bricks and light tubes two days earlier. Absolute workhorses.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

HM: Pride and Powerful, Acclaimed, Bussy

10) Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) - Favorites for a long time, just really want them on the big board as they've done a lot for Tag Team wrestling over the last 20ish years

9) The Mane Event (Jay Lyons & Midas Black) - There are 2 Mane Events out there, this is the one with a dude in a mask (I dont think the other one has a masked guy?). But these guys are more New England, so I see them more, which is why they get the nod from me

8) Lucha Bros (Penta & Fenix) - From here on out, it's a pain in the butt to order this lol. Glad DT had the Trios title, in as much as that whole thing played out, but Penta and Fenix are always so much fun to watch.

7) MSP (Danger Kid & Aiden Agro) - Glad this is a "favorites" list so I can put these two on here. Another New England based tag team that has branched out in 2022. Gotten booked for Effy's Big Gay Brunch the last 1 or 2 so they are making waves which is great to see because they deserve it!

6) Swerve in Our Glory (Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee) - God drat, their run leading up to the titles, their title run, and their fallout was just fun storytelling with amazing matches thrown in. Great team and great foils for each other.

5) Aussie Open (Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher) - Heard them in passing for a while, but then sat down and watched some of their stuff and fell in love. Still need to watch them vs FTR, but what Ive seen from them in 2022 is fan-loving-tastic!

4) FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler) - Uhg, I feel bad putting them at #4, but have to go with my instinct for the top 3. Anyway, there's not much to add to what's already been said... except that there are wonderful in person. Saw their match in person where Bret Hart was their manager and it was a sight to behold. Keep on keeping on.

3) Miracle Generation (Kylon King & Dustin "Flash" Waller) - Super super super super super super super fun tag team, getting more recognition. Beyond loves them and Waller has been on a lot of GCW shows, so they're making a name for themselves. I hope they get some Dark matches in AEW the next time they are up in New England because they deserve all the eyes on them.

2) Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & TRENT?) - Give them some loving belts Tony. Also, let Chuck say poo poo.

1) Briscoes (Jay & Mark) - Not gonna lie, Jay's passing probably propelled them to #1 for me, HOWEVER, I can confidently say they'd be in my top 3 regardless. They have such a skill set that you can put on any match of theirs and you know you're going to at worst, have fun watching it. Them and FTR brought tag team wrestling to a different stratosphere in 2022. Gonna miss Jay, gonna miss Springboard Doomsday Devices :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is harder than singles wrestlers because I have no real spreadsheet that I can just look up. So I just wrote down 25 names as a shortlist & am saying gently caress it, going to name my favourites rather than the best because I'd be here for days trying to work out best.

1. Astronauts (Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura) - BJW
They were my number 1 last year & my number 1 again this year. The only knock on them is I don't see everything they do & that's because I'm not subbing to BJW Core on top of everything else, & the big matches make it online anyway. Everyone may well love The Acclaimed but everyone should love Astronauts. I'm just going to quote something I wrote last year, quoting a Cagematch user: "if you like everything who is stiff, then Astronauts are made for you."

2. NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi) - AJPW
My #5 last year. They ruled, but the team is no more, it is sad. But tag matches, trios, 8 man tags, NEXTREAM in any variety was great & this was the obvious standout pair.

3. Las Fresa de Egoistas (ASUKA & Makoto) - SEAdLINNNG
Honestly, not as good a year for them as 2021, but I still love them as a group, just powerful Mean Girls vibes

4. Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) - SEAdLINNNG/Ice Ribbon
They had 2 matches together last year but I don't care, Best Friends rule.

5. Muscle Venus (Hikaru Shida & Tsukasa Fujimoto) - Ice Ribbon
And now I'm being silly, because they only tagged once but it was great to see them working together for the first time since 2014.

6. Gungnir of Anarchy (Ryuki Honda & Shotaro Ashino) - AJPW
The way they formed sucked, but they are a great combo.

7. Team 200kg (Chihiro Hashimoto & Yuu) - Sendai Girls
I can't believe they have fallen this low on my list, dammit my infatuation with Tsukasa Fujimoto's first half of 2022 before going on hiatus to get married & start a family. Just the best hoss team in women's wrestling. If you didn't see them suplexing around Suwama on the All Japan show last year, it's really loving fun.

8. Knesuka (K-ness & Susumu Yokosuka) - Dragongate
Another stupid pick of a team who had one match, but it's sentimental, this was K-ness's retirement match, & the match was terrific, emotional, all you could want from wrestling.

9. Miyaken to Takuya (Kento Miyahara and Takuya Nomura) - All Japan
They'll be higher in 2023's list, because I love both guys, & they have already had a fire start to the year. But 2022 they weren't actually tagging for very long.

10. Kung Fu Masters (Jacky Funky Kamei & Jason Lee) - Dragongate
I had to put them in, they were half of the best tag match of 2022.

And your honourable mentions include Aussie Open, Catch 2/2, Karate Brave, Harimao, Dropkickers (because I really couldn't justify 3 Fujimoto teams who had barely any matches on my top 10), Black Desire, Magical Sugar Rabbits, Okami, Hairmao, Kojima & Sugiura, Stronghearts (Lindaman & T-Hawk had 2 matches together in 2022 so it counts), D'courage and Atsuki Aoyagi & Yuma Aoyagi.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

TUS posted:

9) The Mane Event (Jay Lyons & Midas Black)

did one of these guys show up on pandemic dark with a rubber steak or is that the other mane event

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1. FTR
2. Briscoes
3. The Young Bucks
4. Lucha Bros

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm not a huge tag team fan, I have 7 so far, but i'm struggling with the rest.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
1) The Briscoes
2) Daddy Magic and Cool Hand Ang
3) Butcher and the Blade
4) Lucha Bros
5) Sting and Darby
6) Action Bronson and HOOK
7) Starks and Hobbs
8) Bussy
9) Willow Nightingale and Ruby Soho
10) Matt Tremont and Nick Gage

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

graph posted:

did one of these guys show up on pandemic dark with a rubber steak or is that the other mane event

I had to look it up, it's the ones I'm talking about lol.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

1. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe)
2. 121000000 (Maki Itoh & Miyu Yamashita)
3. FTR (FTR Bald & FTR Hair)
4. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel)
5. The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson)
6. meltear (Natsupoi & Tam Nakano)
7. Lucha Bros. (Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix)
8. Black Desire (Starlight Kid & Momo Watanabe)
9. The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens & Max Caster)
10. Mafia Bella (Giulia & Thekla)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So many great tag teams, knocking it down to 10 was a rough experience, which was a good problem to have! Special shoutout to 121000000 (Maki Itoh & Miyu Yamashita), who only just missed the list but who I always greatly enjoy watching wrestle.

10. Catch 2/2 (NJPW) - Nobody ever said TJP wasn't good at wrestling, it's that it was often overshadowed by him saying and doing incredibly stupid things. Now, paired with Francesco Akira, he seems to have found the perfect fit for his attitude/personality to actually enhance his wrestling (or maybe he just finally grew up?). Akira himself - after a rough start - seems to have found exactly the right mixture of attitude to go with his obvious in-ring talent. He's largely ditched the "I have a lighter and am gonna set fire to the Jr. Heavyweight Division" thing he was introduced with, to zero in on,"I'm a mouthy little poo poo!" instead which has worked out great! Together, they're always great to watch in-ring, and are making the Junior Heavyweight Tag Division a more interesting place.

9. Aussie Open (NJPW) - They've been wrestling for years now, but 2022 was the first time I really got to see them and I was immediately impressed. They fit in perfectly as part of United Empire, they bring an energy and excitement to the ring and have really helped freshen up New Japan's tag division, plus they have fascinating personalities - I recall somebody in a New Japan thread likening them to "a Tradesman and his apprentice" and it was a perfect description. Their match against FTR at Royal Quest II in London was a fantastic match, and they more than held up their end of the deal. Still young (Kyle Fletcher in particular!) they show incredible promise for the future.

8. Lucha Bros (AEW) - Losing the tag titles at the start of the year, The Lucha Bros (at least in AEW) largely worked as a Trios this year with PAC as part of Triangulo de la Muerte. They were spectacular there, of course, but it did mean that they drop down the rankings for me as a tag team simply because I largely didn't see much of them wrestling as a tag. They're still cool as gently caress, Fénix is still jaw-dropping in what he can do, Penta is still an unbelievably cool insane skeleton man, but as a tag team I just didn't see them enough to put them up higher where they belong.

7. Young Bucks (AEW) - They'd certainly be higher if they hadn't had such a disrupted year, and their return at the end of 2022 marked them mostly wrestling as part of their The Elite trio with Kenny Omega. Still, they held the titles in 2022, they had one of their rare but always incredible matches against FTR, they served as the linking chain between Jurassic Express and Swerve in our Glory's title wins. The Bucks may legitimately be the best tag team in the world today (though FTR are obviously in that conversation too) but they simply had a quiet year despite matches and achievements that would be once-in-a-lifetime for some tag teams.

6. Dangerous Tekkers (NJPW) - They lost the titles at the start of 2022 and until the end of the year the bulk of their teaming together came as part of the wider Suzuki-Gun unit, but every single time they worked together as a pairing, Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi were a highlight. Their beautiful bromance added so much to their excellent in-ring work, but they were a team I largely took for granted because I assumed they'd just ALWAYS be a pairing. While the friendship remains, the team is dead, with Suzuki-Gun disbanding at the end of the year and both ZSJ and Taichi striking out on different (and still very compelling) paths. No more Tekkers, but I'll always remember them fondly.

5. Bishamon (NJPW) - God bless YOSHI-HASHI, the man who turned it all around. Bless Hirooki Goto too, who has spent a career being that guy dangling just off the bottom of the upper midcard, trusted enough to get big shots knowing that he's never going to win them but will at least hold up his end in the ring. Putting them together as a team wasn't just a way to give the long suffering Goto gold to help maintain some of his credibility, but to get the best use possible out of two obvious talents who were always being overshadowed in singles competition by peers who were quite frankly some of the greatest wrestlers of all time. This made it a little difficult to stand out! But together? First as part of "The Lads" with Ishii, then later as simply the tag team Bishamon? Oh they excelled. YOSHI-HASHI and Goto, together more than the sum of their parts, absolutely thriving in the sudden attention and love they are getting, YH in particular looking better than he has in years. They've been the homegrown highlight of New Japan's tag division, and shown they are every bit as compelling (and capable) as some of the big foreign talent that has come in to wrestle.

4. Swerve in our Glory (AEW) - There are few things better in life than a tag team made up of a really agile, fast guy and a great giant of a man who can bench press a bus. Throw in one of them being a lovely human being full of integrity and the other being an incredible talent who also happens to be a weaselly little poo poo and there was little not to love about Swerve in our Glory. As a tag team in the ring their chemistry, combinations and character were top notch. Their interactions outside of the ring, especially as Swerve's veneer kept slipping more and more to reveal what a manipulative scheme he was, told a great story that was bolstered by the fact that the team was SO good that I kept hoping Swerve would see the light and keep them together. Sadly, Keith Lee obviously also felt that way, as he kept giving Swerve more chances which only encouraged him to be worse. When he'd finally had enough and walked away, it was perfect that SWERVE was the one who was outraged and had the temerity to act like HE had been betrayed. That his attempt to do the same to Lee simply saw Lee smash their opponents and win anyway was perfect, and though it marked the end of Swerve in our Glory, their brief time together was an utter delight to watch.

3. The Acclaimed (AEW) - Hearing lots of rumors about a significant number of people feeling positive about The Acclaimed! A true homegrown success story for AEW, they started teaming together in 2020 as part of Dark, worked their way up to regular appearances on Dynamite and Rampage, got several shots at the title that they quite honestly never had a chance of winning... but they just kept improving and improving and rising up in status. It all came to a head at All Out where they had an absolutely phenomenal challenge for the tag titles which they lost, but made true believers out of all watching that they COULD have (and perhaps SHOULD have) won. Less than a month later they WERE the tag champs and they haven't looked back since. The pairing of Caster and Bowens works exceptionally well to highlight both their strengths while papering over any weaknesses from their still relatively low level of experience. The inclusion of Daddy rear end works great both as a comedy bit while also giving them access to a veteran to further help them home their craft. From the moment the music hits, Max starts rapping with Bowens enhancing every at just the right moment, through their exciting and constantly improving matches, to the end where they celebrate with the fans.... it's just a great time to be somebody who loves The Acclaimed. In other words, it's a great time for EVERYBODY!

2. FTR (AEW) - If this was to choose the BEST tag team of 2022, then FTR would be it. They absolutely brought it at an unprecedented level all year long across multiple promotions, collecting belts along the way and just bringing out the utter best in their opponents, no matter WHO their opponents were. Ever since their days as The Revival in NXT these guys have stood out as one of the best tag teams in the world and they've never been shy about telling people the same, but it was only after they were gone from WWE that they actually really got to prove it. The access to different promotions, different styles, different opponents etc could have seen them flounder after spending so long working within the constraints of the WWE style. Instead, they've flourished, adapting to every new style, slotting in against every team, bringing out the best in all their opponents. They're a remarkable tag team, and though I appreciate that they've said they might be taking a bit of a break/rest in 2023, I selfishly hope to get to a lot more of them for a lot longer.

1. The Briscoes (ROH) - I'll freely admit that it took Jay's shocking passing to really make me appreciate just what it was we had in The Briscoes, and the only matches I saw from them in 2022 were their trilogy against FTR. Based purely on the strength of those matches alow they would have ranked however, and then taking into account their 20+ (!) year history as a team and the fact that I don't think I ever saw them phone it in or not give an absolutely incredible performance in EVERY. SINGLE. MATCH then there was no way I couldn't rank them as my #1 pick for the year. Sadly the last year I will ever get to do so. You don't always know what you've got till it's gone, and that was the case with The Briscoes. Reach for the sky, boy!

A short, simple version of the list:

10. Catch 2/2 (NJPW)
9. Aussie Open (NJPW)
8. Lucha Bros (AEW)
7. The Young Bucks (AEW)
6. Dangerous Tekkers (NJPW)
5. Bishamon (NJPW)
4. Swerve in our Glory (AEW)
3. The Acclaimed (AEW)
2. FTR (AEW)
1. The Briscoes (ROH)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 30, 2023

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

1. Briscoe Bros
Full disclosure, if not for recent events the Briscoes would have been #3 for the year, but… this #1 vote is an acknowledgment of not just an incredible year but an incredible career. Their series with FTR was phenomenal and an absolute revival for one of my long time favourites. They went out with one of their best matches ever AND won the titles AND left a huge impression on a whole lotta people who (sadly) hadn’t seen them before. That rules and the only thing left to say is Man Up!

2. Lucha Bros
The best of seven series kicked loving rear end and the Lucha Bros are probably the coolest humans/skeletons on earth that I’m aware of and their matches are always must watch. Their friend Pac is cool too and allows me to vicariously be friends with the Lucha Bros so that’s cool.

3. Young Bucks
The best of seven series kicked loving rear end and the Young Bucks seem like dorks I probably wouldn’t be friends with but they’re pretty cool anyway and I like the way they do flips and stuff.

4. FTR
Any other year Briscoes/FTR would have been my feud of the year and FTR would’ve taken 2nd place, but the aforementioned best of seven just absolutely kicked my rear end, and it was free! Back to FTR: I love watching them work and you know when they’re on the card we’re getting something special, but as a team or individuals they don’t really resonate with me personally so fourth place it is.

5. Usos
I don’t think I’ve watched any Uso matches this year, but they’re an old favourite for me and I’ll say it for as long as I have to, The Usos vs Young Bucks is my #1 dream match that will never happen, at least when it matters. Anyway, I’ve heard the Bloodline is a good storyline?
This vote mostly exists in an attempt to will an Usos/Young Bucks match into existence.

6. Acclaimed
Back in the days of 3 hour pandemic Darks I fell in love with The Acclaimed at first sight and they’ve only gotten better since then. 2022 was a major breakthrough year for them, and seeing how over they’ve gotten warms this cold, black heart. That said, I think their title run should have been built up more, as even though I enjoy the hell out of their act and the time was definitely right, I still don’t see them as the “best” tag team. But they’re crazy fuckin over and does anything else really matter?

7. Jurassic Express
Remember when these guys were our world tag team champions? Remember when Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus were just two cool jungle dudes who liked to have fun? Remember when Christian Cage wasn’t a total piece of poo poo? Those were better days.

8. Swerve In Our Glory
Not a HUGE fan of this team but I love both of these guys individually and they’re title run was entertaining enough. Hoping for bigger and better things for both in 2023 but also: I hope they never fully leave each other’s orbit either. They make good friend-enemies, or as I like to say, frenemies.

9. Gunn Club
:shrug:

10. Street Profits
Montez seems like a talented dude

bartok
May 10, 2006

1. The Briscoes
2. The Acclaimed
3. FTR
4. Swerve In Our Glory
5. The Motor City Machine Guns
6. Lucha Bros.
7. The Young Bucks
8. Bishamon
9. The Workhorsemen
10. Top Flight

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
1. FTR (theyre just the best)
2. The Acclaimed (everyone loves them)
3. Young Bucks (been great for what seems like forever)
4. Lucha Bros (spooky skeleton man and his gravity defying brother are like the bucks just incredibly consistently amazing)
5. Aussie Open (two different types of aussie bogan who are very good at wrestling)
6. Tekkers (leave the memories alone)
7. Briscoes (rip jay briscoe)
8. Bishamon (:yoshihashi: turned it all around and got back up. also goto was there.)
9. TMDK (mad mikey. we're hearing it more and more and we love him dont we folks)
10. Swerve In Our Glory (swerve did nothing wrong)

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
1. FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood) AEW
1. The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) ROH, IMPACT, INDEPENDENT
3. Swerve In Our Glory (Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee) AEW
4. meltear (Natsupoi & Tam Nakano) STARDOM
5. The Acclaimed (Max Caster & Anthony Bowen) AEW
6. The Workhorsemen (Anthony Henry & JD Drake) DPW, AEW
7. Lucha Bros (Penta & Fenix) AEW
8. Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre, Jr., & Taichi) NJPW
9. Team Taz (Ricky Starks & Will Hobbs) AEW
10. Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) NJPW

count the tie by whatever rules exist for it.

Crion fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 30, 2023

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
10 The Mane Event (Ganon Jones Jr & Duke Davis) (Enjoy, IWC, various Pittsburgh indies)- this is the other Mane Event; at a combine height of 12ft 10 in this team of Pittsburgh main stays should be way bigger than they are; they got the size, the power, the charisma, and the it factor.
9 Lucha Bros (AEW) Love me these brothers
8 Young Bucks (AEW) Feel kind of a down year for the Bucks
7 Top Flight (AEW) Hopefully the injury woes are behind us for this team
6 Violence is Forever (DPW, Enjoy) Really enjoyed watching them live at Enjoy last year; love me a team that kicks rear end and takes names
5 Swerve in Our Glory (AEW) Best short lived tag team of 2022
4 The Acclaimed (AEW) Most improved tag team of 2022
3 The Production (Derek Dilinger & Ziggy Haim) (AIW, Enjoy)- I love this tag team of pretentious grindhouse movie director and his gremlin assistant, being the first Enjoy tag champs they wrestle with such abandon and chaos that I can't help but rank them this high
2 FTR (AEW)- Helluva year for the Top guys, having as many bangers as they can around the world
1 Briscoe Brothers (ROH)- RIP Jay Briscoe, as many have said, his death gave me a new appreciation of the Briscoes and its unfair he and Mark never got a shot to be on TV in a big promotion. The trilogy with FTR was a masterpiece that will be hard to one up as the years go by

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
20. The Butcher & The Blade (The Butcher & The Blade, AEW)
19. Bishamon (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI, NJPW)
18. 2point0 (Matt Menard & Angelo Parker, AEW)
17. Private Party (Isiah Kassidy & Marq Quen, AEW)
16. CDK (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi, DDT)
15. Kings of the Black Throne (Malakai Black & Brody King, AEW)
14. The Acclaimed (Max Caster & Anthony Bowens, AEW)
13. Lucha Bros (Penta El Zero Miedo & Rey Fenix, AEW)
12. Blackpool Combat Club (Bryan Danielson & Jon Moxley, AEW)
11. 121000000 (Miyu Yamashita & Maki Itoh, TJPW)

10. Chaos Project (Luther & Serpentico, AEW) - Comedy Legends
9. NEO-Biishiki Gun (Mei Saint-Michel & Sakisama, TJPW) - :argh:
8. reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly, AEW) - Folks,
7. Daisy Monkey (Arisu Endo & Suzume, TJPW) - I just think they're neat
6. Swerve In Our Glory (Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland, AEW) - ACCUSATIONS
5. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki & Mizuki, TJPW) - Rudest
4. Best Bros (Baliyan Akki & Mei Suruga, Gatoh Move) - Best Bros go international!
3. Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson, AEW) - Best heels in the biz
2. The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe, ROH) - RIP
1. FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler, AEW) - The greatest year for a tag team that I've ever witnessed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat I forgot about reDRagon

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
1. FTR - What a year for these guys! Incredible, historic run.
2. The Briscoes - What a year for THESE guys, reintroduced to the wider public and put on three of the best tag matches of all time. RIP Jay <3
3. Death Triangle - Penta and Fenix (and PAC) consistently put on some of the most mindbending performances I've ever seen
4. Young Bucks - I didn't really *get* them when I started watching AEW but I do now.
5. Top Flight - Always jaw-dropping
6. Swerve in Our Glory - Fun styles clash between two BIG characters, tons of fun
7. The Acclaimed - Everybody loves them
8. House of Black (Brody and Malakai) - Hail Satan!
9. Donna Del Mundo (Giulia and Thekla) - Got me into Stardom (although I guess it's more of a stable than a tag team now that i think about it, bah whatever)
10. BCC (Moxley/Danielson) - Basically two perfect wrestlers together wrecking shop

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 31, 2023

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
10. Daddy Magic & Cool Hand Ang
9. Team Taz (Ricky Starks & Powerhouse Hobbs)
8. The Acclaimed
7. Jurassic Express
6. Aussie Open
5. Lucha Bros
4. Swerve In Our Glory
3. The Young Bucks
2. The Briscoes
1. FTR

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

drat I forgot about reDRagon

Been doing my best to forget about Bobby Fish.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Once again, I only watched AEW in 2022, and with the rate of injuries, breakups, and new trios titles to feature, two-on-two tag team wrestling felt like it took a backseat and didn't do a whole lot for me last year. My 2021 picks included two teams who ended up mostly having trios matches in 2022, two teams who had hardly any matches together due to injury, one team which split up fairly early, and an honourable mention who didn't have a single televised appearance whatsoever. So my enjoyment of tag wrestling in 2022 certainly was more limited than in 2021. There were still some teams I liked in 2022, so I'll throw some points towards a few pairings, but there were not many actual matches which held my interest. Therefore I'm only naming eight teams and these exact placements are a little more arbitrary than 2021, other than the top spot. If I wrote this list another day I might move the order of #2-8 around, but it'd still be those seven, plus the #1.

So this year I'm giving points to the following, in order of best to not-best:

#1 The Acclaimed, Anthony Bowens and Max Caster. Well, duh. They both made my singles wrestlers of the year as #3 and #4, and they were my top team of 2021. Winning the belts, and getting "scissor me, Daddy rear end" over as possibly the single most popular catchphrase in non-WWE wrestling, simply puts even more distance between them and every other team. Everybody loves The Acclaimed, and everybody should love to give The Acclaimed their full 10 points.

#2 The Killer and The Pillar, Jamie Hayter and Dr. Britt Baker DMD. This is obviously mostly thanks to it all being part of Jamie's rise to the top, but Britt did her fair share of the work, and overall they had eight or nine solid tag matches across the year. Changing their dynamic to being equals not only helped Jamie but undid the fatigue I was starting to feel with Britt. They're now each better off than they were at the start of 2022, and neither of them did it alone. Great tag team wrestlers? Well, not specifically, but a great pair of wrestlers who are often in tag matches.

#3 The Butcher and The Blade. Yeah, they didn't achieve anything. But they were consistently hitting people most weeks of the year on Dark, and they got even more shouty. I love big shouty guys, ya crumbs. These two are, potentially, my favourite team in the company. The fact they didn't get to do anything of note is a failure of the booking, not a failure of the team. One year they'll be my #1; they just need the booking behind them.

#4 TayJayAS, Tay Melo and Anna JAS. Basically the same as B&B, except with worse hair, obviously. They're still good at kicking people in the face and they got a bit better at shouting. I like kicky shouty girls. They'll probably be a place higher next year thanks to starting 2023 with another belter of a street fight—which Tay is, we learned—but for now, this'll do.

#5 Dark Order's John Silver and Alex Reynolds. Continue to be solid hands for any part of any show. Fill time, warm up the crowd, tape a joke for YouTube, or plain ol' job to the stars. Another pair who achieved nothing but were around consistently and I always looked forward to their matches, even if they were meaningless. I wish they got to do more, but I'm still very glad they're there. They may not be 'pillars', but reliably entertaining low- and mid-carders are the foundation of any wrestling show and something I have always highly valued.

#6 Blackpool Combat Club's Wheeler Yuta and Claudio Castagnoli. Superb wrestlers and a team I'd love to see in person, but all their matches, for me, might as well happen in a vacuum. I also wish they'd ham it up just a tiny bit more. Nothing they did in terms of stories or whatever caught my interest in the slightest. Again, this is more a failure of the booking than the performers. They're great enough wrestlers to make the top 10, but they're just not quite enough in my style to crack the top 5.

#7 Emi Sakura and The Bunny. Okay, okay, Emi tags with everyone. There are a few people I could've named with her and they're all equally entertaining. Emi knows how to put a match together no matter who's involved, and this entry is more for her than for any particular one of her rotating partners. Out of all her tag combinations, though, The Bunny was who I saw the most, and I enjoyed them being the general-purpose enemies of local talents on Dark for most of the year, so they're getting the points. Emi's as solid a tag fixture as they come, and Everybody Loves The Acclaimed Bunny.

#8 FTR, Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler. Like BCC, but more so. I don't really need to explain to anyone why these lads are good. They had a couple of belter promos this year, too. But a mixture of many of their opponents being people I don't like or don't care about, fighting for belts other than AEW's, and generally not being part of my preferred hammy pantomime area of wrestling, means I never really cared. They were great enough that I did enjoy them on occasion throughout 2022, enough to want to chuck a couple of points their way, but I doubt they'll ever get much higher for me.

I'm cutting it there, at eight. I have the following Honourable Mentions, but I don't feel any of them did quite enough to deserve scoring:

Emi & Mei Suruga - Great fun, but they only appeared together a couple of times, in near-identical matches. I want Mei around more.
Emi & Maki Itoh - Ditto.
The Wingmen, Peter Avalon & Ryan Nemeth - Pretty Peter made my singles list again, and Nemeth is his most consistent—and consistently entertaining—tag partner... but they just weren't quite featured often enough as a twosome to justify points.
Chaos Project, Serpentico & Luther - Ditto. Adore snakeman. Love Luther. Loved them recently teaming up with both Angélico and The Wingmen in a variety of three- and four-man tags. But in 2022 Luther spent most of the time on the outside, so I just can't score them.
Private Party - Excellent lads to pair with someone else for a trios match. On their own they're just a bit one-note. I enjoy them, and I hope they get to do more in their own right in 2023.
Swerve In Our Glory - Great in the ring, but I tired of their breakup almost right away. Two superb matches with The Acclaimed, but that's about all I got out of them in 2022. Worth acknowledging but not worth points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

10 The Mane Event (Ganon Jones Jr & Duke Davis) (Enjoy, IWC, various Pittsburgh indies)- this is the other Mane Event; at a combine height of 12ft 10 in this team of Pittsburgh main stays should be way bigger than they are; they got the size, the power, the charisma, and the it factor.
9 Lucha Bros (AEW) Love me these brothers
8 Young Bucks (AEW) Feel kind of a down year for the Bucks
7 Top Flight (AEW) Hopefully the injury woes are behind us for this team
6 Violence is Forever (DPW, Enjoy) Really enjoyed watching them live at Enjoy last year; love me a team that kicks rear end and takes names
5 Swerve in Our Glory (AEW) Best short lived tag team of 2022
4 The Acclaimed (AEW) Most improved tag team of 2022
3 The Production (Derek Dilinger & Ziggy Haim) (AIW, Enjoy)- I love this tag team of pretentious grindhouse movie director and his gremlin assistant, being the first Enjoy tag champs they wrestle with such abandon and chaos that I can't help but rank them this high
2 FTR (AEW)- Helluva year for the Top guys, having as many bangers as they can around the world
1 Briscoe Brothers (ROH)- RIP Jay Briscoe, as many have said, his death gave me a new appreciation of the Briscoes and its unfair he and Mark never got a shot to be on TV in a big promotion. The trilogy with FTR was a masterpiece that will be hard to one up as the years go by

this is a good list.