Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Starting to think the College Board is full of cowards.

https://archive.is/1DsBc

If I were a teacher tasked with this course, I would have "This Non-Violent Stuff Will Get You Killed" and "We Will Shoot Back" added as optional but strongly recommended readings so I could really melt some CHUD parents' brains.

The GOP also just disbanded the House Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apparently it loitered over some sensitive US nuke sites in Montana.

Google Maps already has that data anyways, who cares.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Complex pattern… of a straight line?

Nothing a Sharpie can't fix!

Also: I love how EVERY deal he makes is somehow the greatest deal ever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

I’m still struggling with how you fight “fair” with a country that has advocated genocide in both words and actions. At least when we nuked Japan we just said it was for military reasons since we obviously value our soldiers higher than their civilians at the time.

I’m just happy we appear to be on the right side of history for once.

The other problem is the people who focus on the nuclear weapons and tend to ignore the sheer amount of people killed in just the firebombing campaigns. Like.....they were even more destructive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

They used a plasma burst to start the process, according to the FedNet in the movie.

E- I'm only repeating what was presented

Yeah but unless it was from our asteroid belt, it would take decades to get here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheWeedNumber posted:

Seymour Hersh is saying we popped that loving pipeline. I’m still reading but if it’s Seymour Hersh I’m definitely interested in the story.

Not shocking to me if true though. Question is, how the gently caress he find out? Let’s read together and see if 1+1=2.

https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/how-america-took-out-the-nord-stream

Right now its a lot of conjecture. Reminder that this is the guy who doesn't believe Bin Laden was involved with 9/11 and made some really odd claims about the Syrian chemical weapons attacks.

Its far better to say we don't have conclusive proof WHO blew up the pipes, other than someone did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I knew the World Health Organization was in on it!!

The real conspiracy. JC Denton warned us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eej posted:

Hell yeah let's put up some fukin nukes, gotta offset all that god drat coal Germany is burning now

At this point Germany and Austria are going to be the only ones moving off Nuclear, most of Eastern Europe is spinning up initiatives to go more into Nuclear and Renewables, and France is doubling down on more new reactors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sorry, I'm a product of the American public school system and I get all my news from Tucker Carlson, can someone explain to me what's so bad about this? What's so wrong about something being separate if it's also equal?

https://twitter.com/MSTODAYnews/status/1623152318035251200?t=QGhZjtZX5q0Oud0Syn3HqA&s=19

If the Fed doesn't immediately look at this and blow a hole in it, then its just another sign this country is dying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Of COURSE he did this in front of a bunch of gas ranges.

Priorities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, and this is a Principal Engineer. Like top notch guy. The fact that Musk fired him on a loving whim during a temper tantrum says all that needs to be said about Musk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A lot of Dev friends I know are also basically in a Dead pool as well, honestly the only people I've heard defending Twitter is management types.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We have 6 cats, all adopted or chose to adopt us. We have one dog who we adopted and we love him but he's a scavenger to no end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/julianbarnes/status/1624127446676082701

Looks like nobody involved on the defense side is loving around with the balloon poo poo any more.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1624129901434380289

I'll still don't get it: Why balloons? China has to have decent Spy satellites and Radar Recon satellites by now, Balloons while cheap are 1950s era recon stuff. Its lower tech than a spy plane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

He's not a mascot, but I just want to share my favorite picture of Detective Tubbs Lumpkins, MD. This is the night my wife brought home an abandoned 2 week old kitten, who I refused to name until her first vet appointment- where we found out she was younger than we thought.
"What rescue cared for her?"
"My husband."
"Wow. He did an amazing job. Any experience?"
"He'd say the Infantry. He just loves little furry things "

Aw, Tuxedo kitten <3

psydude posted:

Yes. Fortunately the alien vessel was running Max OS9, so the computer virus disabled its shields.

I always assumed it was just a compatibility because they both ran a BSD based OS.

BSD: Alien origins.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So, uh, apparently Australia has nuclear submarines on the way.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-13/australian-commanders-complete-control-over-nuclear-submarines/101965182

And this is explicitly because of China. I would not be at all surprised to see power plants next.

Sadly they still appear to be hardcore against nuclear power.

Which is stupid on so many levels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I always assumed murdoch had them wrapped around his little finger and anything that'd jeopardize his fossil fuel buddies share price is a non-starter but I'm sure it's more complicated than that

Pretty much. Other than South Australia, they got bit by the coal and gas bug hard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Gutfeld!'s gimmick is Fox-brand conservative " " "comedy" " " based on whatever recent propaganda Fox has been screeching about to force in to the public consciousness.

Whatever hideous bullshit that idea conjures up in your mind the execution is much, much worse.

Especially since everything Conservatives find as funny is basically just bullying and punching down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Lol what a loser. Could have gone to prison and become an Aryan Nation disciple and instead followed Hitler.

The rear end in a top hat was living in Mexico and trafficking fentanyl. Literally everything they claim to hate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

My suggestion continues to be just block him, don't repost his poo poo, and encourage others to do the same. It's a shame there's not a publicly facing posting gloryhole so we can see who the most blocked person is.

He has repeatedly removed blocks of him and his tweets will show up in your feed regardless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Small birds are no longer a major issue, most engines are supposed to be able to tolerate anything up to slightly smaller than a goose. A small balloon and a ~6lb object shouldn't be a huge deal.

But I suspect the FAA still wouldn't smile on people just releasing balloons into airspace

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

We're officially on deathwatch for Jimmy Carter, so points to you if you have him in a deathpool:

https://twitter.com/CarterCenter/status/1627039245025280003?t=zmkLPp1488zMdomonNv4Vg&s=19

This has to be Kissinger's fault somehow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

I honestly don't see how Eagle Claw ever would've worked.

The books I've read about it, including the book about Task Force Orange / ISA The Killer Elite, make me feel like it would've been worse than Mogadishu and could've been a massacre. I just dont see how a bunch of Rangers and Delta guys could hold off hundreds of armed bad guys with zero air support overhead.

I suspect it would've lead to outright war with Iran.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Opsec Wizard hasn’t posted in a while, last I heard he was playing War Thunder and…

Oh.

Clearance: Revoked!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

"The school hopes to open next week"

That seems...optimistic.

I doubt there will be anyone to attend or work at the school, so yeah, super optimistic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

Putin has tossed out the START treaty in a speech this morning. I'm sure there is someone that believes this means Russia nuking Ukraine, but I doubt that will happen. What is the end game here other than an attempt at North Korea style "diplomacy"?

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-politics-de0af48be7ea480ccb0175f55a065363

Trump helped kneecap START anyways, including gutting the Open Skies treaty.

So yeah, there was little holding them to it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 21, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, that's the proper read. Putin isn't loving with the warhead caps and even his speech today was just a reheated speech from 6 months ago with no policy changes. Classic case of the propaganda saying one thing and the actions saying another thing. Not too much to worry about and nothing really new.

I wonder if he even expects things to change at this point. It sounds like he's tired of this too and is just reading canned spam messaging.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I honestly didn't know they still flew u2s

All the time. Used to see them land and take off from Qatar when I was there. They still use them for Signals recon and Photo recon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Watched a Dragon Lady taking off from Suwon while Osan's strip was being redone, that poo poo was incredibly anxiety-inducing. The minimum take-off speed has to be something hysterically low, because I swore that thing was going to fall out of the sky onto some poor bastards.

Its crazy watching them take off and then fly....almost straight up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Apparently Steve Bannon doesn't pay his bills either:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-bannons-lawyer-sues-him-over-unpaid-bills

quote:

After initially scrambling to counter a Daily Beast story that he wasn’t paying his lawyers, the notorious right-wing media personality Steve Bannon has been sued for owing a single New York attorney a whopping $480,487.

On Friday, the Manhattan firm of Davidoff Hutcher & Citron took the rare step of suing its former client over unpaid bills for a mountain of work a lawyer did defending him for two years against Congress, the feds, and a local district attorney.

On top of the half million dollars he allegedly owes, the firm is now asking that a New York judge force Bannon to pay interest—plus the cost of the lawyer who filed this lawsuit.

The firm says it “performed various legal services for [Bannon] in a competent and professional manner” and deserves to get paid for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Old Oracle systems have the worst requirements. You can use some symbols, but not others because the database doesn't support them. Good luck guessing which ones!

Its also a good indicator their password system isn't doing proper hashing, which isn't great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

sometimes it's also just olds in positions of power

my (thankfully now fired) micromanager was ADAMANT that our very high security system (a loving vendor support ticket portal) absolutely needed archaic length/one of every character class/password rotation requirements, despite my showing her the modern NSA guidelines that say "don't do any of that except a baseline minimum length check". people learn things, see that other people do them "wrong" per the standards of the time, and then decide to become a lifelong champion of whatever misguided advice they received at age 25 to a fault

similarly, i have had to fend off customer olds demanding that our garbage "use this only if you really can't support a modern authn system" password system support similar requirements

True but I have no faith that its not just a lovely lack of proper hashing, since nearly every incident I found out that usually follows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If businesses were smart they'd use Scott Adams as an unanswerable argument against work from home. Because he's gone absolutely batshit since he quit his day job to draw cartoons full time.

Seriously, would you rather have to work in an office or risk turning into what Scott Adams is now only poor?

Scott Adams is a product of working in an office. It's literally what the comic is about

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

@facialimpediment, more about china's pivot on arming russia

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1628858090547253249?s=20

China really wants to see how far they can push it before they get sanctioned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'm hanging out for my prediction of china going all barbarossa on russia

'oh hey yeah we're sending 5000000 trucks your way along with men to unload them, let us know if you need anything else'

Given that China still depends on Western income to maintain their economy...best of luck to them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Steezo posted:

Sparta and Athens would never war over the Peloponesians , their economies are too tied together!

We're not talking city states here. China is wholly dependent on exports to support their economy. If they were not, they'd likely already had tried invading Taiwan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Steezo posted:

Rome would never go to war with Carthage! Their economies are too tied together!

what I'm saying is "but the economy!" hasn't stopped a war from happening between belligerents ever. Even the US and China in Korea.

What economy did China have during the Korean war? Most of the economic growth happened in the 1990s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I’ve wondered about that, if China pulls off a quick invasion before the US could intervene there’d be sanctions but would be plausible it would be like Hong Kong where there wasn’t much disruption. But if it’s a long war with US Navy ships getting sunk, even if China did overrun Taiwan no way in hell anything leaves their ports for a NATO country even if that badly disrupts the world economy, and Russia and India aren’t gonna buy enough to prevent hundreds of millions of factory workers from becoming unemployed which is a recipe for social upheaval which is very much what China does not want.

Hong Kong involved less disruptions because it was the Trump Administration. I suspect any other Administration, even a different Republican Administration, would've bee completely different.

Trump/Pompeo spent a lot of time disrupting normal US geopolitics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
He can rightly get hosed.