Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

I'm originally from FL, and I'm baffled at what DeSantis is doing in an effort to give red meat to the GOP base for a presidential run.

Trump had no political record whatsoever going into the presidency. DeSantis has a huge list of fascist poo poo he's done to his own state that Dems can skewer him with.

Seems he hasn't realized over the past 3 elections that while the GOP base loves fascism, independents and democrats in blue and purple states are repulsed by it, and he can't win with red states alone.

Go full fash in the primary, stick to border and “fiscal responsibility “ in the debates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
College Board is money grubbing fucks and none of this should be a surprise.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm an emergency relating to the anchorage of vessels.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It could literally just be a weather balloon gone missing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Nice airborne toxic event they have there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Can we lob a missile at her then?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I used to watch Bush’s SOTU because I was in my 20s and drank too much. I watched Obama because I enjoyed listening to the man give speeches. Now I don’t care.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Same. I think I watched part of Trump’s first one to see if he’d keel over and die, poo poo himself or declare war on Canada or some permutation of the three and turned it off in disappointment when he didn’t.

Tonight I’m watching the Expanse and playing with my dogs.

I didn't watch any of Trump's because the only thing worse than listening to him try and speak is listening to Sarah Palin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Who says "drink party?"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Look at the camera and the dog at the same time?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

How feasible is it for an adversary to loft an explosive payload in a balloon and deliver it on target? Say, covertly launched from a nuclear sub in a plausibly deniable position well outside the attacker's typical areas of operation?

And target anything more specific than a time zone? Not really.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

I thought the initial balloon was alleged to be snooping on missile silos—did it just happen to get lucky in the jet stream to achieve the overflight? Posting out of my rear end (as usual), but couldn't you just slap a propeller on it to fine tune the course?

Then it's a blimp.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hey remember when authorities torched thousands of gallons of VC in open air and it got trapped in an inversion layer?

https://twitter.com/me__0070/status/1623115651144466432

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

davecrazy posted:

That’s literally acid rain, no?

The products of VC combustion are carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and hydrochloric acid.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Let's not blame this on Musk being rich; that gives him a pass. I guarantee he was an insufferable attention whore before he made money. They always are.

At what point in his life was he not wealthy?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:what:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

When you managed to get owned by a Trump speechwriter, it's time to call it a day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zamujasa posted:

every time i see this thread title it is a small spark of joy in my dead cold heart

congrats on two years and here's hoping many others join you

What's even more heartwarming is that this is the only mention he gets.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/lee__vaughan/status/1626422274432634883

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Carter is probably the least objectionable president in 60 years, but that’s not the highest of bars during the cold war and gwot. A lot of the current instability in central america is directly his fault. Building some homes for disadvantaged people doesn’t exactly make up for for arming and supporting a bunch of terrorist groups.

e: Goes without saying he's mostly going to be smeared for not being bloodthirsty enough, but let's not pretend the man was a saint because he did volunteer work after retiring.

If all you know is that he build a couple houses, you are completely unqualified to have an opinion on him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's reductive, sure. But when it comes down it, he raised money for a charity to build houses after prioritizing tax cuts while he was president. He put his time into negotiating peace as a private citizen after sending weapons to right wing militias on multiple continents when he was in charge of US foreign policy.

I just think we should take it with a grain of salt when someone tries to whitewash their actions when they were actually in power with charitable work after the fact. The Obama Foundation does good work too, but it doesn't excuse him murdering hundreds of children with drones. Some things you can't come back from.

No, calling the work that the Carter Center did "building some houses" and blaming Carter for the instability in Central America is not reductive it's flat out dishonest.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, that's that Habitat for Humanity work, And as a reminder, his administration turned down proposals to expand welfare including a UBI scheme and decided to pitch republican work requirement bullshit instead. He pushed for austerity and tax cuts as a response to economic problems, he created way more homeless people than his charity work got housed.

Okay, so you actually don't know what the Carter Center does.

quote:

So Carter didn't authorize the CIA to fund anti-Sandinista guerillas in Nicaragua?

Or what over a century of American involvement in Latin America was.

You dumb. Bye.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

Less ironic and more "he wasn't actually playing a character from Homicide on."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I asked in the Ukraine thread as well, but I'm assuming if they bag POTUS Russia gets turned into glass?

No, I'd assume a similar response that I'd expect from an overt strike on a NATO nation: every air and strike asset in NATO quickly and efficiently turns every Russian soldier and equipment into part of the Ukrainian soil.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For less grim quality 80s Lithgow, Buckaroo Banzai is excellent.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Republicans continue to really, really want to look at people's dicks:

https://twitter.com/ArkDems/status/1625251714646573056

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

would this also outlaw public displays of movies like mrs doubtfire?

Who would enforce that?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McNally posted:

I'm sure Liberty University would be happy to establish a Moral Law Enforcement major and send undergrads out to do this.

To enforce the law against a Robin Williams movie? Not a chance.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

If it lets them target a minority with their hatred they'll absolutely do it, Robin Williams be damned. Hating and attacking people is what they're all about now.

Since when do the cops and prosecutors need to be even handed with enforcement of laws?
My point is that these laws exist to be selectively enforced against persecuted groups and that majority groups can violate them with no concern. The "wouldn't this bad [normal activity]?" is meaningless because of course cis whites aren't the targets.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soul Dentist posted:

In the Ukraine thread GBS comes to you now!

In current events:

The only Alaskan lawmaker to ever be censured is going for two

What happens when you try to ape "A Modest Proposal" but are really stupid.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GD_American posted:

I never thought this could happen to me, said the not-leopard in charge of deporting leopards

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/26/us/undocumented-border-officer-cec/index.html

gently caress him especially because the only lesson he learned was "this can happen to the 'good ones' so we should fix it so I don't get hurt."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The NYT has reached its perfect moment
https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1629509695475179522

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

Dang I can’t believe that the guy who’s posting sexualized cartoon mice is making problematic statements about race and racism.

What about mice?