Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1620874876109352961?t=8W1lGjNbhFkruwYDl734kQ&s=19

Spencer Hall (and the military dude in the background) know that he's a gently caress. People that like the idea of DeSantis haven't actually heard/seen the real DeSantis.

Or they like that he's banning books while yammering about face diapers and jab juice.

dude looks like tim heidecker is doing a politics skit

My feelings for 2024 is that if dems want to win they have to treat it like an uphill battle every step of the way and there's zero room for complacency. Rs need to actually run on something other than the same poo poo that has failed them in 2018, 2020, and 2022. If the entire plan is to wage war on women and minorities then they're going to torpedo another election cycle.

I'm really curious to see how Desantis does nationally because the dude looks like a loving clown and I've never heard someone talk about him in person in the PNW, though I wouldn't really read into that. Honestly having a bit of a blank slate nationally could well be an upside for him because it gives him more space to define himself. In any event, what he lacks in charisma the right wing media machine will make up for in volume so the only play for dems is to take him as a serious threat if he ends up the republican candidate.

As was mentioned above, it's wild that there's a 40 year age gap between Biden and Desantis.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

McNally posted:

So pointless cruelty that assists your war effort would be OK to you?

Is this a bit? Are you doing a bit?

dude has been like this literally since day 1 with that account. He's a rereg, though you'd have to ask the d&d mods who.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

Almost certainly Marshal Prolapse

nah he way predates MP getting permabanned

E: didn't see this at the time \/

McNally posted:

So I've decided slurm should post somewhere that isn't this subforum. The whole "just asking questions, what is a war crime anyway?" schtick isn't landing.

cool and ty

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 8, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

His account was made 4 days after MP got a ban+30 day probe so I assumed. I don't have mod tools to check though so I will trust McNally's assessment.

almost positive they're different because he was definitely reported for alt-checks during that time (and indeed you can see alt check results in his rap sheet mentioning that he had had accounts banned from the d&d covid thread, which afaik MP never had any interactions with). if that account was evading a month probe it would've been hit after getting alt checked. who knows though, other mods were cagey about actually identifying him previously for some reason, even though he's been posting like this since day 1.

in any event, "I will trust McNally's assessment," yeah same

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that is literally the least sourced piece of ostensible journalism that i have ever seen

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ASAPI posted:

I read an article that says they think he hunted down the remaining 3 while he was missing for a couple of days.

I desperately want that to be true. It's like Rambo in dog form.

that's a decent way to describe livestock guard dogs, yeah

brains posted:

it is beyond funny to me that this is just like the 90s 'tough on crime' poo poo except its tough on balloons

lol tough on balloons is going to be a thing in 2024

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
can only assume she was sent to kabul to signal our displeasure with and to punish the taliban

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Putting the contras on Carter is a creative interpretation of that particular timeline. Large scale organized support of the Contras (and the unification of opposition groups to faciliate that) started in September of 1981.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CainFortea posted:

He still authorized it.

Nah it was specifically Reagan who authorized the CIA effort to found and support the Contras. The above linked article is about the US changing its formal position wrt The Somoza Government and is very much not an authorization of a covert effort by the CIA to found, fund, train, and support covert action against a sandinista government that wasn't even in power yet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Reagan was inaugurated in January 1981, note the dates in this document.

The truckload of American weapons just materialized out of thin air?

That doesn't seem inconsistent with a massive ramp up of support as soon as Reagan took office, which is consistent with the currently understood timeline of the conflict. It's certainly not the first or last time that plans have been ready to go pending a change in administration, eg Trump admin greenlighting the Raid on Yakla in Yemen as one of the very first things he did in office.

If there's evidence that Carter was a big backer of CIA efforts in Nicaragua I am all ears if you have anything concrete, I just have not seen anything suggesting that previously.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Lotta effort in the whole "Carter never did anything wrong" version of history.

thankfully zero people are arguing 'carter never did anything wrong'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Elon is just about as close to the theoretical maximum of bad, worthless posting imaginable. it's honestly no wonder that he keeps getting shoved in a locker by twitter's algorithm (correctly so, like that is it working as intended I mean) because his output is like 90% emojis or one word posts 'interesting' 'concerning' 'working on it' 'laughing tears emoji,' which is all poo poo that algorithms will specifically devalue as useless white noise. The remainder is split between his posting with far right assholes and actual bigots and posting stolen 15 year old jokes and memes, most of which are the most painfully anti-funny stuff imaginable. With pretty much the single exception of some of the spacex stuff he retweets, nearly all of his posting is the exact kind of stuff that algorithms massively devalue. He's pretty much the embodiment of the kind of person's posting that nearly every engagement algorithm is trying to keep users from interacting with.