Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CarlCX posted:

Michael Chandler is 2-3 in the UFC, and those two victories were against Dan Hooker, whose best win was a shaky decision over a retiring Paul Felder, and Tony Ferguson 3/4 of the way through his career collapse, and yet Chandler is the #5 lightweight in the world, has had two title eliminator opportunities, and is now the winner of the Conor McGregor sweepstakes.

Apart from the pay and the billing and the likelihood of the winner being parachuted in to a title shot in a weightclass of their choosing, the match-up actually makes sense for both guys. They are at similar points in their careers with similarly unproven records against the top of the current heap, and both are very aggressive fighters so it'll definitely be a good fight. It's just that in terms of divisional relevance it should be a 5 round fight night main event instead of a ppv headliner.

That said, I am hating myself for looking forward to Conor trying to get under Chandler's skin. Something about Chandler's self-serious dweebiness wants me to seem Conor embarrass him at a press conference.

And I'm still surprised they are doing Masvidal/Burns instead of Masvidal/Conor. Masvidal/Conor would make a ton of sense as a WW debut for Conor as Jorge is also an exile from LW who hasn't won in a while. Whereas Burns will probably just beat Masvidal and get nothing for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

kimbo305 posted:

I was just responding to "both are very aggressive fighters"

Conor's pace is high if the other fighter gives a lot of openings coming in or standing on the pocket, so he'll probably be active until he gasses. Then it's gonna be non existent takedown defense and passive ground work.

Best case scenario is a Chad Mendes type result. Not out of the question.

I'm the one who called Conor aggressive and you're right it was not the most precise choice of words. I guess I meant that his output is always pretty good and he doesn't avoid engagements, which is not always true for counter fighters. Like Adesanya and Anderson can have these sort of bare-minimum performances where they just stay safe and don't take any risks that I don't think Conor has the personality for. Conor takes risks and moves forward.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I know he got ko'd recently, but I still think of Usman as one of the current top p4p guys.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Josh Emmett seems like a nice guy, but his clown tattoos give me strong second-hand shame.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
On the subject of Cain, there are some guys who, when they are winning, look more like they are committing a crime than engaging in an athletic contest.

Compare a dominant Cain performance with a dominant Holloway or GSP performance; Holloway beating the brakes off of Kattar was one-sided but it was still a sport. GSP completely neutralized Thiago Alves, but it still seemed like an athletic competition. Cain beating up Bigfoot was like a snuff film.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

A Passing Feeling posted:

So who do people have for Makhachev - Volkanovski?

Volkanovski has this quality where people fighting him just never look comfortable, like they can't find their groove or something. I'm not even sure what it is he is doing to create that effect, but he's a real octagon general out there. And his work ethic and game planning are undeniable. I won't be surprised if Makhachev can overpower him, but I will be surprised if he can frustrate him.

I think Volkanovski also has an admirable quality where he doesn't make any pretensions to being some kind of genius at fighting or some kind of natural born warrior or whatever bull poo poo. He's a professional who works hard to do well at his job, and he doesn't take any of his opponents' skills lightly, which is frankly refreshing.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Josuke Higashikata posted:

but people also seem to think that if the final round is close as hell/dominant for the fighter who lost the previous 4, that means the other rounds should be re-evaluated.

While I don't think there is a way to actually implement this in a sporting context, there is a part of my brain that is sympathetic to this point. If you out land or out point somebody for a majority of early rounds and then get your rear end badly kicked in the final few frames, how can we say the foregoing striking was "effective?" What was its effect? It fatigued the thrower and made them vulnerable to getting badly beaten up. That is not a desirable effect in the context of a fight, but the scoring makes it a desirable effect in the context of a match.

I'm not trying to make a real warriors type of a point, just that I think it's an interesting example of the disconnect between MMA and fighting. Like most martial arts are more obvious in the ways they are abstractions of fighting (boxing: we shall wear these gloves and not kick one another, judo: we will wear the same clothes and consider the fight ended after one of us has thrown the other, and also we agree not to punch each other), whereas UFC's original tag line of "as real as it gets" entices a lot of viewers by saying that MMA rather than abstracting a real fight into a sport with rules and conventions is somehow simulating a real fight. That lack of abstraction is where a lot of the sport's appeal comes in but I think it also predisposes people to resist thinking of it as a sport in the same way they think of boxing as a sport. If we are simulating a real fight, who is winning at the end is more important than who was more active in the beginning. I don't know if that can or should be reflected in the rules, but I understand the mindset that wants that.

Also I disagree that Alex wins the rematch easily. I think Islam was surprised by Alex more than the other way around so I feel like Islam has greater scope for re-adjustment. And even with that element of surprise Islam won rounds both on the feet and on the mat, so with a better idea of what he is facing I think a rematch would be very competitive.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
if it means tekken style health bars over their heads i am for it

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Mekchu posted:

Per all the stats I've been seeing thrown around, Volk landed more.

This is, more or less, the same stats as what I've seen albeit in different visuals.

The striking numbers were basically dead even through the first three rounds. Volk's striking numbers look good when using the whole fight mostly due to his over the shoulder shenanigans in round 4 and his quality G&P in round 5. If you could isolate just the stuff on the feet Islam was his match.

By round, Landed/Significant/Accuracy

R1
Makhachev: 18/10/72%
Volk: 14/11/54%

R2
Makhachev: 30/19/68%
Volk: 30/19/63%

R3
Makhachev: 20/16/77%
Volk: 19/14/44%

R4
Makhachev: 19/4/79%
Volk: 49/6/74%

R5
Makhachev: 8/8/50%
Volk: 52/20/72%

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Tangy Zizzle posted:

like three posts up Lucasar was saying that (paraphrasing, not meaning to be lovely) its not 'real fighting' if a guy can win on points in 4 rounds but get his rear end whipped round 5

Volk didn't give up on himself but he certainly went for positional control instead of a knockout or submission, which is what he absolutely needed to win.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to make a point that something wasn't real or legitimate, or that the rules need changing, just that the need for arbitrary metrics like rounds and judges to make a safe and fair sport can have this effect of producing a winner for the match that differs from the person you might instinctively describe as the winner of the fight.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Kragger99 posted:

Please let me know if this is acceptable bandwidth-wise. I'm not sure the best way to do this (my streamable links don't play here for some reason).

Great reaction time on this ref lookit that guy get in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I missed the ufc card this weekend, anything worth catching up on?