Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Problem description: Whenever my son is playing Fortnite on his gaming PC, the screen will cut to a black screen. Shows no signal, fans DO NOT go full speed. The case fans will stay on however I notice the GPU fan stops and makes a ticking sound like it's trying to spin up for a split second. Additionally, the USB keyboard loses it's lights and there's no optical sensor under the mouse. This started happening about a week ago.

Attempted fixes: I have swapped power supplies thinking that it might be a power issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalled. I also rolled back to last version (I think, but it started happening long after the driver update a few months ago). Underclocking the GPU seemed to help for a day but the issues started happening again. Also the undervolt doesn't seem to "stick" whenever the PC is restarted so it's not really a long-term solution.

It feels like a GPU issue but the fact that the USB devices lose power makes me hesitant to just buy a new GPU.

Recent changes: No recent changes. Maybe Fortnite updated recently? But that game updates weekly.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit, fully updated.

System specs:
Asus x370-PRO
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Powercolor RX 580 8gb
16gb generic Crucial RAM
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w PSU
Thermaltake Toughpower G1 650w PSU (this was just purchased and did not fix the issue)
WD Black 512gb M.2 SSD
Corsair Case
Cheap Dell 27" non-gaming monitor connected via HDMI (does not have DP)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some initial things you could try:

-Run https://www.memtest.org/ to check RAM health.
-Run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php to check SSD health.
-Unplug and reseat the GPU.
-Make sure motherboard BIOS is fully updated.

If none of that helps then trying another GPU would be a good bet.

FCKGW posted:

It feels like a GPU issue but the fact that the USB devices lose power makes me hesitant to just buy a new GPU.

Failing hardware could cause odd secondary issues like that.