Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who ya got?
This poll is closed.
Chiefs 42 41.18%
Eagles 60 58.82%
Total: 102 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

only in the past few days did i hear the eagles almost left for phoenix in the 80s

also

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1622662904771141632

i hope olsen doesn't give a gently caress on sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

Go Merrick Garland and the rule of law!!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shyduck posted:

Mecole Hardman placed on IR

This is sneaky really bad news imo. Hardman's not a great receiver, but Skyy Moore can't run those jet sweeps to keep the defense off balance like Mecole does.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

only in the past few days did i hear the eagles almost left for phoenix in the 80s

also

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1622662904771141632

i hope olsen doesn't give a gently caress on sunday

Does "broadcaster" mean for sure in the booth? Like Terry Bradshaw is a "broadcaster," no?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Being in the booth seems like a grueling exercise where everyone is constantly critiquing you.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AJ Green hadn't retired already but is retired now I guess.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Being in the booth seems like a grueling exercise where everyone is constantly critiquing you.
It's probably why they all become alcoholics

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's an easy job that they pay you 10 million dollars or more a year for.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Shinji2015 posted:

All this money spent to lure left-leaning people into their churches that could have been used to feed the hungry or help the sick. Gotta love their priorities.

Church attendance is way down so they’re trying to get new blood in to keep buying the pope gold-plated shitters or whatever

Could they stop being insanely bigoted towards LGBT people and stop threatening people with eternal damnation for believing slightly different things? Sure but where’s the fun in that?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shinji2015 posted:

All this money spent to lure left-leaning people into their churches that could have been used to feed the hungry or help the sick. Gotta love their priorities.

A podcast I listen to was also talking about this today, and one of the hosts (who watches lots of sports) mentioned that he hardly sees any of those ads outside of football games, which matches up with my experience with them. He'll see one occasionally during a basketball or hockey game, but never in the sheer volume that we get in during football. It's extremely targeted

I think the football audience isn't really left leaning.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1622672704053841920?t=Y0ZfYXo0vLthLvqdQHtmPQ&s=19

AJ Green retired

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they are also the demo that would go to church anyway, so funnily enough I don’t think this add is for football audience but the people that specifically watch the super bowl

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EAGLES WILL WIN YOU JACKFARTS

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't think being *good* at calling football games is easy or there would probably be more than three people who are decent at it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think there's a lot of people who'd be quite good at it, but that's not what TV is looking for, so we're definitely not gonna get it.

Like Romo went from predicting plays, explaining why we knew what was coming and talking about the strategy and tactical minutiae to... whatever the gently caress he's been on about the last two years.

Talk about how great the QB or other biggest name player on the field is for 3 hours is what the broadcasters want, not what we want.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I think there's a lot of people who'd be quite good at it, but that's not what TV is looking for, so we're definitely not gonna get it.

Like Romo went from predicting plays, explaining why we knew what was coming and talking about the strategy and tactical minutiae to... whatever the gently caress he's been on about the last two years.

Talk about how great the QB or other biggest name player on the field is for 3 hours is what the broadcasters want, not what we want.

Why would they want this? The viewer is already watching the game.

I think it's just Romo getting lazy and/or out of touch with the game.

Like I said, it's hard to be good at it. But it's easy as poo poo to half rear end it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It seems more likely that Romo was directed to dumb his commenting down rather than him becoming lazy and losing his enthusiasm for strategy in footbawwww.

It was so tight when he had that tactical commentary.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It seems more likely that Romo was directed to dumb his commenting down rather than him becoming lazy and losing his enthusiasm for strategy in footbawwww.

It was so tight when he had that tactical commentary.

Yeah. It always came across to me like some higher up told Romo the A-team color guy is supposed to play a pivotal role in developing the brands of the superstar QBs. It's why he has such clumsy nonsense like calling Josh Allen "The Alien" or "Mr. January" all the time.

Collinsworth and Gruden "now here's a guy…" esque.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Why would they want this? The viewer is already watching the game.

I think it's just Romo getting lazy and/or out of touch with the game.

Like I said, it's hard to be good at it. But it's easy as poo poo to half rear end it.

Same reason we can't have madden cam

Boomers

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like the stat that no matter who wins they'll have won more games in Arizona's home stadium than the Cardinals.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Same reason we can't have madden cam

Boomers

I want the madden cam so bad.

One of the best things about the TNF is the live all-22 footage. It completely changes the viewing experience.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Considerably more, in Brady's case. His deal with Fox is for 10 years and $375 million.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I remember the story about how they (supposedly, I'm not old enough to remember) did this to Madden. He was just too wonky and wanted to actually explain football and they got on him hard to back off on that.

Madden was still good as far as good goes for a long time, but you might actually learn about blocking schemes or such early on.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Cross posting from AFCN thread some of my thoughts on the Ravens 30 for 30 "documentary"(more like a show version of a 2000 Ravens tribute event):

I finished the documentary. I actually liked it even if it didn't really shed light on anything new from back then that hadn't already been covered. I liked the presentation of it way better than that America's Game thing they did that was way too brief. This is probably the go-to thing for any fan of the Ravens interested in reliving it or learning the history. And probably the last one that will ever be done.

However one thing I didn't like that the America's Game thing did do better was emphasizing how important that week 2 game against Jacksonville was. That was the biggest game the franchise ever had at that point and a dramatic game but the documentary didn't even mention it though there were a few highlights shown of it with no commentary. You can't show that season without that game. Maybe they did at the event but who knows. At the beginning when they talked about the opener against Pittsburgh I thought they might even talk about every single game! But they didn't do that. As usual a lot of the losses(namely the Miami, Washington, and Pittsburgh games) never get mentioned at all except one trivial bit about the Washington one. And even some of the wins get ignored like against the Jets. And the game against Arizona seems pretty much lost in the desert somewhere as nobody ever mentions anything about it except me it feels like. Maybe I'll find that game when I'm birding out there in May.

Another odd thing they didn't mention was about Al Del Greco missing kicks. I'm guessing they omitted this from the documentary out of respect for Del Greco.

I didn't realize Qadry Ismail came very close to catching a TD in the second Jacksonville game. How different might things have gone if he held onto that ball and we never had a 5-week TD drought? He was wide open and hit perfectly in stride for the TD and dropped it. I didn't remember that play.

It was neat how they brought in some past guests and also how they even let it spill over a bit into the 2001 season! I really enjoyed that part and talked about the Jamal Lewis injury. Another great part was seeing that confetti fall on the 2000 Ravens for the last time. I really wish I had known about that event happening and I would have been there to see those Ravens one last time. But now I never can.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
There was a story last week that CBS had an intervention with Romo about his broadcasting before this season started. So they haven't been happy with him either.

Nov 6, 2002

syzpid posted:

There was a story last week that CBS had an intervention with Romo about his broadcasting before this season started. So they haven't been happy with him either.

Which makes it hard to believe they told him "be bad."

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The best broadcasters I can wishlist offhand are Steve Smith in a marquis role, Nick Foles, and I think Joe Burrow is destined for it

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'll believe AJ Green retired when he is no longer casually dropping 5/125/2 games on the Ravens two times per year

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

The AFC South is somehow poison to the Chiefs specifically.
Also for their own fans.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

The best broadcasters I can wishlist offhand are Steve Smith in a marquis role, Nick Foles, and I think Joe Burrow is destined for it

RG3 and Kevin Harlan for my dream booth

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It seems like Romo doesn't do his homework. In the first couple years, he could coast off his knowledge from being in the league and tape review. But the NFL turns over talent so quickly that most of the players Romo was with are gone, and he can only seemingly rattle off big names. But also him calling out the plays was really above the call of duty, so now it makes his act look even worse

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1622701121138741248?t=dMbth5Jgs-C0dasuoTX4Tg&s=19

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Obviously thanks to their social media quarterback :v:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Greg Hardy has been interesting as an in-game commentator because he wasn't a QB like almost every other former player that goes to the booth. Sometimes it has been interesting to get insight from someone who knows about catching balls instead of throwing them.

I've said it before, but Tony Romo's first season was like when Tom Kelly would sub in and do commentary over Twins games. It was an incredibly experienced stream of consciousness explanation about everything happening, and it ruled.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress the Eagles coach

Everyone else is whatever, they don't have to survive under Jerry Jones

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

It was obviously the anime schedule reveal

Major growth opportunity for the nfl in the weeb market

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1622688076895227904?t=NU2cRl4e_it4VSMAu9AMOg&s=19

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1622726726781632517?s=46&t=dnV-JlfoeKdtzYuSU5IQGA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ASAPRockySituation posted:

EAGLES WILL WIN YOU JACKFARTS

The plucky team with a pedestrian QB and a good defense always beats the superstar QB in the Super Bowl, historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

“This is going to be a nanobubbles-free zone. None of that goofy space age bullshit in my facility.” - Sean Payton