Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

yup, so its also helpful to collect as many trinkets as possible to escape with, sell those for gold, and stock up on white/green gear from the vendors once you start surviving more so you can go in with some strength

People have no idea that 99% of pots and urns have a trinket in them when you break them, make like Link and break poo poo for riches. I’ll pass another player and go through the hall they just went through and all the pots are untouched.

I’m a bit disappointed the stash isn’t shared. I found an amazing orb on my cleric and threw it in there but I guess I’ll sell it since it’s wizard only.

E: It might take a couple hits if you’re using lighter weapons. Gotta stab the poo poo out of it with a dagger but a mace will smash them in a single swing.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Bussamove posted:

People have no idea that 99% of pots and urns have a trinket in them when you break them, make like Link and break poo poo for riches. I’ll pass another player and go through the hall they just went through and all the pots are untouched.

I’m a bit disappointed the stash isn’t shared. I found an amazing orb on my cleric and threw it in there but I guess I’ll sell it since it’s wizard only.

E: It might take a couple hits if you’re using lighter weapons. Gotta stab the poo poo out of it with a dagger but a mace will smash them in a single swing.

Just give the item to your friend. Then have them hand it to your other character.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, good thing to point out. Definitely break all those vases and boxes, they can give you loot. Especially starting out, before you reach a chest or 2. Break those pots and boxes, start getting things like potions and bandages to help your run.

General tip for looting, and really playing, is to take your time and gradually just progress towards the inner circle. No need to rush, skirt the outer rim of the circle and try to maximize loot. Just focus on getting in and getting out. Its infinitely better to get out with 100g then to maybe get out with 200g. Take the guaranteed money opposed to the risk of potentially more money. If you find a lockpick, keep in mind that every class can use it, not just rogues. It's just easier for rogues. So you might as well use it if you come upon a chest to use it on. It's a little minigame where you have to get the directional arrow inside of the yellow circle while the circle spins. You'll easily fail the first 4-5 times. It's not easy, so might as well get that practice in.

Also, deathheads solely drop things like throwables, lockpicks, but also trinkets. So, while there are a ton of them, it's sometimes smart to farm that room for trinkets.

And unless something has changed, don't be afraid to hit and break a chest. The loot just falls to the ground when destroyed.

Edit:

Partial Octopus posted:

Just give the item to your friend. Then have them hand it to your other character.

Or, sell it on the trading market and buy a similar one, if you are friendless. The trading market is a great way to make money. You can sell that 1 juicy piece of loot you got to some hardcore player and fund like, 5-6 runs. I've seen streamers buy just blue weapons for 300+ gold.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 8, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Aren't there still mimics in the game? In case you needed another reason to smash chests.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

widespread posted:

Aren't there still mimics in the game? In case you needed another reason to smash chests.

There are, kind of why I mentioned just smashing them too. Mimics are the absolute worst. And if you think a mimic is dead, it might not be, keep swinging until you see the tongue pop out. I've seen plenty of people think they kill a chest, go to loot it and get bitten again.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

that's great and all for someone who can find a blue headstone after spending a whole game collecting trinkets.

I've seen like 1 the entire time I've played and I didn't manage to get to it because I was killed lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What map are you playing on? On the 1st map, I've only seen 2 escape portals spawn. They are always within the circle. On the 2nd map, i've seen up to 9 portals spawn. Several 1-person and then a final 3-person. Again, all within the circle.

I mention circle because you need to note where the circle is when the portals spawn. But they circle can shrink and that portal that spawned may now be outside of the circle. So, if you are really hurting for portals, peek outside the circle and see if you see one. The circle won't kill you instantly, you can generally make it.

I had another portal tip, but got distracted, so when I remember it i'll edit this post.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Really enjoying watching the emergent story lines of individuals and groups forming alliances only to inevitably betray each other when it comes portal time.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Solo dungeon is really easy to loot and scoot in when you learn the mob patterns, there are always people dying to mobs which means there are usually plenty of portals to go around. If you wait until the final circle thats like 2x2 meters in width a guaranteed portal will spawn there.

Another tip for keeping track of how many players are on a map is to count the kill feed. if 8 people have died on the solo map then congrats, only you remain! The bigger map spawns 16 players total.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
By the way, torches have weight so you can throw one on a pressure plate to activate it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Finally found this thread, been playing the Alpha since September, been having a frustrating blast with it. Man trying to solo a Rogue is such an uphill climb. Barbarian is so much fun when you just run around and smash every door and chest you come across.

New solo map is so brutal on it's spawn points I've only ever made it out once since I didn't even leave the starting hallway I was in that had at least 6 mummies in it. I had to kite three of them to another hallway into a Ranger forcing him to deal with them while I took the second of three escape portals. I wish the Rogue started off with like the Kris or Castello dagger instead of the Rondel and or had something close to a health or armor stat that killed him in two hits instead of one.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 8, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I lead them to this escape, they bowed and then ran for it... and then instantly died to the wallspike right before it :smith:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's such a diabolical kill I have to try it. Lure some fucks to a portal thats open and let them die to traps? gently caress yea.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it won't work unless they're low HP... or you're hunter using a bear trap :evilbuddy:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This game has some satisfying deaths for sure

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've now killed the troll 3 times as a rogue so I could have lockpicking and determined this fight is not worthwhile unless you're going in as an extremely geared ranger to just murder it with headshots. It's neat that's there's a functional boss that's fightable solo but it just has so much hp that you spend nearly the entire instance timer killing it, and a single mistake probably oneshots you outright.
The loot isn't anything too special either, seems to be a guaranteed purple, and a few other biased towards high tier loot as well as a locked lion's head chest.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Tonight playing trios with a couple people from the goon discord I chased one guy through a hall of traps (I had trap sight) and he died. His teammate chasing me also died. Parkouring through the traps was super satisfying.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
this game is so good

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Been playing the solo dungeon, funny as gently caress watching the feed of players dying to goblins (myself included)

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Jumped in for the first time, got invited by some cool randoms, shown the ropes, and loaded up before the escape a few times. Good fun.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Is there any way to use the training area in the tavern without going into matchmaking? I get into a game so fast, I don't even have time to test my gear on a training dummy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not sure the game's for me. I like some ideas behind it but the RNG nature of my starting position seems to be a huge factor if I survive more than two minutes. Sometimes I start near a hallway with a few enemies or I start next to a cave with all the enemies. I still don't get the combat - it's hard to learn the rhythm of it in a real environment and wish I could use a training area to get the idea of my weapon's range, the enemy's range, ect.

I'll stick with it, since it's a week thing and maybe it'll click and maybe the release will have pure pve stuff for me to play in and have the pvp there if I wanna go sweaty. Not judging too harshly since it's an alpha but boy does it just throw you in the deep end and some in the community are real shitbirds.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The short queue times make this so much more playable than Tarkov.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The first fifty times you go into either the goblin cave or castle you're going to die or come out with a lil bit of stuff.

Always squirrel money away in your stash until you're in double digit levels so you can equip more of your class's perks.

If you have a weapon you really like but are low level with no armor stick it in the stash.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Not sure the game's for me. I like some ideas behind it but the RNG nature of my starting position seems to be a huge factor if I survive more than two minutes. Sometimes I start near a hallway with a few enemies or I start next to a cave with all the enemies. I still don't get the combat - it's hard to learn the rhythm of it in a real environment and wish I could use a training area to get the idea of my weapon's range, the enemy's range, ect.

I'll stick with it, since it's a week thing and maybe it'll click and maybe the release will have pure pve stuff for me to play in and have the pvp there if I wanna go sweaty. Not judging too harshly since it's an alpha but boy does it just throw you in the deep end and some in the community are real shitbirds.

Enemies are very slow and have rudimentary AI. All they will do is walk forward and attack once in range. You can bait the attack animation by walking into them and then walking backwards. You can also just run past them and close doors behind you and they will be stuck.

Hope this helps you survive a bit more.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Played this last night. It's kicking rad, even though I'm really bad and died a lot. Out of about 25 runs with 2 friends, one friend got out twice, I got out once. Cleric feels fine and good and cool.

The monsters feel like hp sponges, and the game (or me?) tricks you into thinking this is a dungeon crawler with chance of PvP, when in fact, spending too much time killing monsters expends too many resources to be super successful in PvP, ime.

I watched some folks get multiple bodies into a red portal, which was cool to watch. I'm wondering if blue portals can support multiple bodies, but we are all just bad at it.

The friend who tried wizard just ended up killing us as it was hard to aim spells and not hit your friends in PvE. Seems like it would be v. powerful in PvP.

A little frustrating, but it's alpha and I had a great time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When do portals tend to show up? I was under the impression that it's one of those games where you can do a little bit of treasure hunting then leave, like Hunt: Showdown but I guess that's not the case? But yeah, "Play this a ton of times, dying super fast then maybe things will start getting better" isn't really comforting.

Also, since I'm still going to play for a bit how do you deal with skeleton champions? How do you deal with other players where the back and forth that works against the AI doesn't work with them?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

for people who are having trouble with monsters, I found a couple runs bumbling through the goblin caves as rogue helped with that immensely. you have far more movespeed than anyone else but very short range, which naturally leads to circle strafing and baiting and the realization that npc enemies are entirely predictable and controllable.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jimbot posted:

When do portals tend to show up? I was under the impression that it's one of those games where you can do a little bit of treasure hunting then leave, like Hunt: Showdown but I guess that's not the case? But yeah, "Play this a ton of times, dying super fast then maybe things will start getting better" isn't really comforting.

Also, since I'm still going to play for a bit how do you deal with skeleton champions? How do you deal with other players where the back and forth that works against the AI doesn't work with them?

Skeleton Champions will constantly press you, you kinda have to just learn their attack patterns and feel out when to hit his head for max damage. Other players is a completely different animal and usually just devolves into a foam LARPING fight where all but one or two end up walking away unless your Cleric is really really good, your Ranger is decent, and your Barbarian remembers they have throwing axes that can also do long range damage before they chop your loving head off.

Like if you have a shield to block arrows and blows really learn how to use it to deflect, Rogues Fighters and Barbs will just rush in to do max damage, Rogues tend to be weakest on armor with Rangers, Barbs can tank and deal devastating damage, Fighters are just a pain the loving rear end that can block and deal good damage and use almost any weapon in the game.

Each weapon two or one handed has it's own attack speed that is factored into your own agility stats.

Portals show up probably about five minutes into a dungeon run if you last that long. Matches are made to be very short compared to a Tarkov run.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I have also noticed that a lot of people don't know that headshots do more damage. Baiting the AI into swinging while knowing the rhythm of whatever weapon you are using should make it relatively easy to a 1v1 without taking damage, by just stepping in and out of range for a quick headshot. 6-8 of those will drop almost every non elite mob. Just hop in with your noob loot and practice your timing until it makes sense.

(The only exception is the default Barb axe which is currently too short and really hard to time for new players)

If you are pulling more than one mob at a time, you probably hosed up something you had control over, and you just need to learn the map more.

Some other pro tips:

-if you have class abilities that do damage on a 30-40 second CD (like Judgement for clerics or Rupture for rogues) you should be using those CONSTANTLY to open fights.

-Exit portals will typically spawn in the last four minutes, distributed towards the middle of the remaining circle. They can be on different floors from you and that fact will be the #1 reason you die even when you are a vet who knows map and is the only survivor. You can listen for the stone grinding sound they make when they pop up and figure out where they are by cross referencing where the sound came from relative to the minimap. Again, this is map knowledge stuff that gets easier.

-Grey "treasure" type loot like gems and candalabras etc are worth a lot more than gear. Unless the gear is blue tier or useful for your class/friend/an alt, prioritize the "junk" stuff because it's smaller and vendors for more gold.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Jimbot posted:

It's not for everyone, for sure. It's also very early in development (but not too much will change). You might find one of the upcoming classes fits your playstyle a bit more and you should give it a retry then for sure. If you imagine a typical D&D class, this game is going to add it eventually. Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, even Artificer, are all on the books for implementation.

The great thing is, dying, while frustrating, isn't costing you anything. And the queue times are so fast you can get in relatively quickly.

Jiro posted:

If you have a weapon you really like but are low level with no armor stick it in the stash.

And when you start getting a bank, check the merchants regularly for the gear you do like. I'm a big fan of Rapiers, so I buy all of the decent ones I find and just hoard them, so I always have at least one on deck. Also, I think you can restart the client to refresh their inventory, but that may have been fixed from earlier betas.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Played this last night. It's kicking rad, even though I'm really bad and died a lot. Out of about 25 runs with 2 friends, one friend got out twice, I got out once. Cleric feels fine and good and cool.

The monsters feel like hp sponges, and the game (or me?) tricks you into thinking this is a dungeon crawler with chance of PvP, when in fact, spending too much time killing monsters expends too many resources to be super successful in PvP, ime.

I watched some folks get multiple bodies into a red portal, which was cool to watch. I'm wondering if blue portals can support multiple bodies, but we are all just bad at it.

The friend who tried wizard just ended up killing us as it was hard to aim spells and not hit your friends in PvE. Seems like it would be v. powerful in PvP.

A little frustrating, but it's alpha and I had a great time.

It's a little of both. You can start out and get right into a fight, or not see anyone, ever, but what usually happens for me is I find almost no one until the end and we have a final fight to see who wins. This goes for like every extraction shooter, but sometimes it's better to let them do the work for you and you just kill them in the end. But that's often easier said than done.

What do you mean about portals and bodies? Each portal is for 1 person, but there are these triple portal spawns that let you get your team through. They appear in the shape of a triangle, with one portal facing each direction. Little tip for getting your crew out: when you find portals, pop them, just don't use them. You can get portals ready for your crew so they can just run into them and get out when needed. Maybe they continue to loot, fight, whatever, but they have a portal to escape through if things get sketchy. Just be aware there are rats and they sneak up and take a portal you popped if you let them.

Wizard is a nasty class. One of the most damaging, but it does take a little getting used to, especially with aiming. But when you get to higher levels and get the gear to support them, they can single handily take out a whole squad.

Jimbot posted:

Depends on the map, but on the 1st map, they start spawning at something like 2:30-3:00 minutes left. On the 2nd map, something like 7:00-8:00 minutes in, with the red portals appearing first. At the very end on the 2nd map, a 3-person escape portal will spawn, letting you get your whole squad out.

It's a little different than Hunt, in that you are all going after a limited amount of portals to get out, and because of the monster density, not fighting isn't the easiest thing to pull off. But, it can kind of be done if you prepare with things like invisibility potions or spells. I like to avoid combat when i'm playing my rogue, loot, hide to drop aggro and try to just get to the portals. Or, alternatively, I go right after a squad and pester the poo poo out of them. I love hit and run tactics of just getting some DoTs on them and fleeing, letting them gradually bleed out and use up their resources.

With skeleton champions, they are obviously tough and you can't really take them head on. Let them get some attacks out, then get in for a hit or two and get out. It takes a little getting used too, but eventually you'll get a feel for your weapon range, how your character moves, how they do, etc.

You can also use the environment and other monsters to help. Monsters won't attack each other, but they can hit each other when swinging at you. Traps on the floor will do damage to them as well. Fire, all that can help. If you find an oil lantern, you can throw it at something and it'll explode. BTW, if you didn't know this, you can throw torches too. If the area is dark, you can equip a torch, toss it on the ground and go back to using your weapon. Then you can pick it back up if you want.

Valentin posted:

for people who are having trouble with monsters, I found a couple runs bumbling through the goblin caves as rogue helped with that immensely. you have far more movespeed than anyone else but very short range, which naturally leads to circle strafing and baiting and the realization that npc enemies are entirely predictable and controllable.

Wait till you get a rapier with the rogue. It has great range and a nice attack pattern. It's completely a game changer for Rogue.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Feels like the game would be improved a thousand fold if they got rid of the whole early game of dying bazillions of times, slowly leveling up and just give you all the perk slots and just focus on the dungeoneering to get loot and the pvp.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Then it wouldn't be this game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There is also a whole other set of leveling that has yet to be added. You can see parts of it, but it's still under development. I'm guessing it's gonna be some kind of talent system, where you can slightly tweak certain things, rather than commit to just 4 perks, 2 abilities and certain spells. I think it'll be like "choose 5% more damage with maces or 5% more damage with axes" and "choose +3 to armor or +3 to magic defense". But I have no clue and I can't remember if the devs have talked about it yet or not.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ShowTime posted:

What do you mean about portals and bodies? Each portal is for 1 person, but there are these triple portal spawns that let you get your team through. They appear in the shape of a triangle, with one portal facing each direction. Little tip for getting your crew out: when you find portals, pop them, just don't use them. You can get portals ready for your crew so they can just run into them and get out when needed. Maybe they continue to loot, fight, whatever, but they have a portal to escape through if things get sketchy. Just be aware there are rats and they sneak up and take a portal you popped if you let them.

I saw a two man crew take a single red portal and hypothesized that blue portals maybe had a window where you could fit multiple bodies through and we were just bad at timing, but I'd you know this isn't true, good to know, thanks for the Intel :)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
been having a blast watching Jerma play this

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
incredibly satisfying to kill a barbarian as a fighter without ever getting hit

probably incredibly annoying on his end lol

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Downloaded, started a game as a Cleric, killed a few skeletons, then got killed by a floating mage skeleton.

10/10 A+++

Is a ton of fun even at low levels, and the quick queues really take the sting out of dying.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Had my first successful escape with full loot, :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this color(and stats) means legendary, right? didn't know you could find legendaries in goblin caves