Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

this color(and stats) means legendary, right? didn't know you could find legendaries in goblin caves

:stare: Yup.......I MEAN WOAH THOSE SUCK YOU BETTER GIVE THEM TO ME CAUSE I SUPER SUCK AND TAKE THESE AWESOME BLUE BOOTS........ :v:

That's loving cool you found those in the goblin caves of all places, did you beat the troll???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
a few big things if you're struggling at the start:

1) a white weapons vs the default grey one is a huge damage increase for most classes. After you survive a few times you should have enough gold to buy a white for every round and/or stash of extra weapons for your class
2) armor and main stat makes your character feel much, much better. even a couple of pieces of white armor helps a lot. once you're fully in good gear the PVE gets a lot easier and quicker.
3) as soon as you start surviving, start buying consumables. Take a stack of potions and/or bandages in with you.

also highly recommend playing the ring before it becomes urgent

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Drink red potion first then bandage to stack the healing and make your red potion work better and use less bandages, less bandages to carry.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jiro posted:

:stare: Yup.......I MEAN WOAH THOSE SUCK YOU BETTER GIVE THEM TO ME CAUSE I SUPER SUCK AND TAKE THESE AWESOME BLUE BOOTS........ :v:

That's loving cool you found those in the goblin caves of all places, did you beat the troll???
no, it was literally just in one of the chests in the upper right room with the 2 goblin archer and death beetle spawns

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Help, is there a guide for the controller layout somewhere? I figured out how to turn, jump, punch, and cast my equipped spell, but I can't figure out how to type keyboard input or if there's other buttons I should be using.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried to like this game but as someone who is only interested in playing solo, getting one single escape just to get started with the game and make it playable is too much of a hurdle. I got out once as a cleric but I spent 3 hours playing other classes and didn't get out once. Healing and pve aren't a problem but every match has some geared out people who blow me up that I can't touch and they just sit at the portal waiting at the end.

There shouldn't be a progress bar on using the portal in the solo map IMO, just make it instant.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
My brother and I have been playing as a rogue duo and it is absolutely hilarious. One of us will hide and the other will bait the players out. A lot of people see a single rogue and bum rush in just to be met with death by a thousand cuts.

I've only managed to get out once, but I'm having a ton of fun so far after initially bouncing off the first few runs.

We also managed a squad wipe on a wizard, barb, and fighter. I separated the wizard from the other two with a door, dispatched him and moved on to kill off the others.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried to like this game but as someone who is only interested in playing solo, getting one single escape just to get started with the game and make it playable is too much of a hurdle. I got out once as a cleric but I spent 3 hours playing other classes and didn't get out once. Healing and pve aren't a problem but every match has some geared out people who blow me up that I can't touch and they just sit at the portal waiting at the end.

There shouldn't be a progress bar on using the portal in the solo map IMO, just make it instant.

You don't need to get out to make the game playable. Just have fun killing people. You can just use greys or use whatever you loot in a game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

deep dish peat moss posted:

Healing and pve aren't a problem but every match has some geared out people who blow me up that I can't touch and they just sit at the portal waiting at the end.
Honestly this has almost never happened to me, on goblin cave I frequently run starter gear runs and usually make it out without having to fight a single person.

I feel like either you're not finding other portals that exist elsewhere or you're aggroing players that could be friendly if you did the crouchspam hello, or just talked on voip.
Oh, and by the way, there's a guaranteed tunnel exit on the middle right side of the map(top floor). It's marked as stairs on the map, opens when there's not much time left, and only one person can go through it. But it's always there. Sometimes when the final circle isn't really near it I'll run through the bugs over to it anyways because it's guaranteed(unless someone else took it, but that's not that common especially when it's not in the circle).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Downloaded this during last night gonna try it after I do some shopping

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Franks Happy Place posted:

(The only exception is the default Barb axe which is currently too short and really hard to time for new players)

The starting barb axes sucks so badly you really need a felling axe to feel good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
barbarian body armor is also rare enough that when I stuck a green one on the market for 50g I was instantly hit with like a dozen trade requests

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I have bad luck finding body armor in general. Everything else is common enough but chestpieces are light on the ground.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
It also feels like armor is kind of a trap unless you gain enough of it. Gaining 50 armor rating but losing 15 speed might not be worth the tradeoff unless you get it high enough to be significant.

10% armor reduction might reduce the hits needed to kill a barb by one but a wizard will still get oneshot. Embrace nudity and do undie-runs for maximum kiting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BombiTheZombie posted:

It also feels like armor is kind of a trap unless you gain enough of it.

It's very funny worrying about some fighter in full plate and then hitting his head twice and killing him while I'm in barb starting gear.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah the biggest benefit from armor just seems to be the extra stats you get on it for damage/health and less the actual armor itself. Well also shoes can make you go faster but make you louder I believe also.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Protip to all the other wizards this playtest: white spellbooks and crystal balls improve the spell damage of magic missile by a frankly upsetting amount compared to the grey staff. If you want a super poverty wizard run, buy those and rawhide gloves and it's like a legit 30% damage improvement over nothing but greys.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

TwingeCrag posted:

Protip to all the other wizards this playtest: white spellbooks and crystal balls improve the spell damage of magic missile by a frankly upsetting amount compared to the grey staff. If you want a super poverty wizard run, buy those and rawhide gloves and it's like a legit 30% damage improvement over nothing but greys.

Their casting animation is also tighter/faster so you don't get that lovely "gently caress I HIT MY STAFF ON THE DOORFRAME AND NOW AM DEAD" moment so often.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
No armour barb with quarter staff is fun

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

No armour barb with quarter staff is fun

Interesting. Our resident cleric who hates shields had been talking up the quarterstaff moveset yesterday.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Love using Barb to smash doors and chests just running through like a juggernaut only to die fast

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Graysun — Today at 1:37 PM
@everyone, Alpha #4 Playtest Hotfix - #4

We have fixed some issues and are applying some experimental changes.
The hotfix update #4 will start at February 10, 2023 1:45 PM and will take about an hour and a half to complete.
When the update commences you will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool.
Players already in a dungeon at this time will be able to complete that adventure.

#Changes
- Fixed an issue where Victory Strike could not function properly.
- Second Wind’s skill level 7 -> 6
- Adrenaline Rush's skill level 3 -> 6
- Meditation takes less time and spells charge slightly more than before.
- Increased campfire duration for all grades.
- Pavise installation conditions have been slightly changed.
- Adjusted spawn data for goblin caves.
- The number of people entering the Goblin Cave has changed.
- The number of people entering the Forgotten Castle has been changed.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Ghost King to stop moving under certain conditions.
- Gathering Hall now have a minimum required level.
- Improved minor performance issues.
- Fixed some translation errors. Thanks for playing Dark and Darker.

Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it seems that nobody knows what changing the "skill level" on fighter's active abilities actually means lol

e: it might mean they come back faster/slower when resting at campfires?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 10, 2023

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I've heard that it affects how much a campfire is able to restore it, but I'm not sure. What I don't like is this:

quote:

Gathering Hall now have a minimum required level.

What's the point in preventing new players from being able to group up easily? You can already see people's levels in the sidebar, so it's not like that's an issue. Why force new players to go through the godawful goblin cave solo or gamble against groups in the castle?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I like how they specified the cooldown changes with numbers but the number of players entering the dungeon was simply "changed"

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Sailor Dave posted:

What's the point in preventing new players from being able to group up easily? You can already see people's levels in the sidebar, so it's not like that's an issue. Why force new players to go through the godawful goblin cave solo or gamble against groups in the castle?

probably bots spamming gold 4 sale or something

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sailor Dave posted:

just my imo but I do think the goblin cave is good for new players. things are a lot more controlled when you don't have to deal with groups of players, most solo players don't even have the confidence to fight and just crouchspam at each other.

I started playing this demo doing goblin caves, and took 3 classes(fighter, cleric, rogue) all up to level 20 in just goblin caves before touching forgotten castle, and I think forgotten castle is both way more dangerous due to messy team fights and also has a more complicated layout.
I don't have anything against lv1 players in gathering hall though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Game is too much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5zmmOEd2Nw

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Graysun — Today at 1:37 PM
@everyone, Alpha #4 Playtest Hotfix - #4

We have fixed some issues and are applying some experimental changes.
The hotfix update #4 will start at February 10, 2023 1:45 PM and will take about an hour and a half to complete.
When the update commences you will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool.
Players already in a dungeon at this time will be able to complete that adventure.

#Changes
- Fixed an issue where Victory Strike could not function properly.
- Second Wind’s skill level 7 -> 6
- Adrenaline Rush's skill level 3 -> 6
- Meditation takes less time and spells charge slightly more than before.
- Increased campfire duration for all grades.
- Pavise installation conditions have been slightly changed.
- Adjusted spawn data for goblin caves.
- The number of people entering the Goblin Cave has changed.
- The number of people entering the Forgotten Castle has been changed.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Ghost King to stop moving under certain conditions.
- Gathering Hall now have a minimum required level.
- Improved minor performance issues.
- Fixed some translation errors. Thanks for playing Dark and Darker.

Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker!

Aw, I was just sitting down to do a couple runs. :(

Oh well, it's really cool that the developers are as quick as they are with the fixes.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone know how many players are on each map now? Did they reduce it or increase it?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

When you queue up it shows you at the top sometimes you load in too quick to notice

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've heard it went up by 2 on both.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
yup solo changed to 11 from 9, and 18 from 16 for normal

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Spears are crazy OP right now and taking the Ranger perk that lets you use them is a no brainer just FYI.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Franks Happy Place posted:

Spears are crazy OP right now and taking the Ranger perk that lets you use them is a no brainer just FYI.

Such a pain in the rear end fighting someone who's good with the spear.

Just had an 8 kill game on barb with a full team escape using starting gear and a grey felling don't think I'll ever have a run that good again. Still playing around with what perks I want but morale boost did a lot of work that game.

Ran into a barb in another game with a purple felling and tons of damage amp gear and he took off like 75 percent of my hp with a body shot never been whacked that hard before.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Bashing down the door as a player is freaking out and trying to get away from you has absolutely sold me on being a barbarian.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I played this the other night and only made one successful extraction, and shortly after I did 2 separate groups of 3 burst into the room I was in and had a deathmatch.

Game rules

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
almost naked barb with a hatchet is very fun

success
https://streamable.com/zs20s0

less success
https://streamable.com/4xga84

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Just did a run as a Barb with a hatchet and horseman axe and if you hold both mouse buttons down you alternate your swings very fast. Seems like a fun alternative to Felling axes (which I love so much but oh man it sucks when you hit a shield or miss a swing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
i think halberd is good but boy is it unwieldy

if m2 is gonna be another attack, I'd really prefer if m1 was all stabs and m2 was chops