Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not sure the game's for me. I like some ideas behind it but the RNG nature of my starting position seems to be a huge factor if I survive more than two minutes. Sometimes I start near a hallway with a few enemies or I start next to a cave with all the enemies. I still don't get the combat - it's hard to learn the rhythm of it in a real environment and wish I could use a training area to get the idea of my weapon's range, the enemy's range, ect.

I'll stick with it, since it's a week thing and maybe it'll click and maybe the release will have pure pve stuff for me to play in and have the pvp there if I wanna go sweaty. Not judging too harshly since it's an alpha but boy does it just throw you in the deep end and some in the community are real shitbirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When do portals tend to show up? I was under the impression that it's one of those games where you can do a little bit of treasure hunting then leave, like Hunt: Showdown but I guess that's not the case? But yeah, "Play this a ton of times, dying super fast then maybe things will start getting better" isn't really comforting.

Also, since I'm still going to play for a bit how do you deal with skeleton champions? How do you deal with other players where the back and forth that works against the AI doesn't work with them?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Feels like the game would be improved a thousand fold if they got rid of the whole early game of dying bazillions of times, slowly leveling up and just give you all the perk slots and just focus on the dungeoneering to get loot and the pvp.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

By reading the last few pages sounds like the class I chose, barbarian, really has a tougher time of it in the beginning because that default weapon sounds like it's right trash compared to the most basic white quality axe you can buy from the shop. I probably wouldn't have bitched and complained as much if the two-handed axe felt like a two-handed axe and not a really slow, stubby one-handed axe that did slightly more damage.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not the quality of the starter axe that makes it bad - it's the animation/speed. I'd take a felling axe with nerfed damage as a replacement starter weapon just because it feels so much better to swing.

Yeah, that's basically what it boiled down to for me. The thing just felt like poo poo and watching barbarian videos on youtube I was like "what game is this person playing, this wasn't my experience with two-handed weapons at all". I'm not saying they should make the free weapon the best weapon but it should at least showcase what the class is about a little bit (without making the people who grinded to get powerful feel like they did it for nothing). A hard balancing act for sure but boy does that axe feel like poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Given the nature of the game and it being a limited test, I don't bother being friendly and assume everyone else is the same. Just murder everyone. Once it comes out and the community stabilizes it might be safer to assume someone isn't completely out for blood but even that's not very likely to happen. Sea of Thieves has people going hardcore PvP and you can actually avoid people in that one.