Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
My smol balance suggestions. I think a lot of bigger scale tweaks are going to be needed once the game leaves time-limited playtests and we get a sense of what actual, lategame meta looks like:

Fighters: almost in the sweet spot. Very minor changes, maybe some buffs to the other abilities to make foregoing sprint + second wind more attractive.

Barbarians: despite being rated OP as gently caress this playtest, I actually think most of their issues are issues with other classes buff spells. Felling ax needs a small swing speed nerf and a few of the other two handed weapons slight buffs to equalize. Everything else feels reasonably close to OK. Maybe a small hit to max hp. Have to be careful, barbs are so slow any hits to damage or tankiness may put then straight to the dumpster.

Rogues: slightly undertuned IMO. Rogues don't bring a whole lot to a team comp or to help with clearing inferno PvE and the bosses. I think certain rogue perks (invisible belt slots and limited movement while cloaked) should be cooked into baseline to give them more room for something with team utility.. I think making throwing knives start with higher stack amounts (5 maybe?) would be a good start. That being said, Rogues are a solid solo class and definitely don't feel completely underpowered or anything. If anyone else gets access to a trap, it should be rogue. Maybe a poison gas trap you can place into already opened chests or something?

Rangers: Still OP. Best class at PvE with no real weaknesses in PvP as tradeoff. I don't know how to address the PvE side without serious overhaul of enemy AI and attacks so balance will have to be on PvP in short term. Giving rangers access to spears (one of the best melee weapons in the game) is crazy. It's not like they were lacking with access to the arming sword too! Triple shot needs a damage nerf, and maybe a reduction in movement/interaction speed. The ranger is too good at many things without any major weaknesses. If you don't have at least one ranger in your trios comp you're missing out right now. Having a free campfire is an additional 24 gold on every single run and offers massive team utility. Then they get a trap on top of it!

Cleric: also pretty balanced. Incredible for PvE inferno and boss runs, to the point that I don't really know how you would do bosses without one. All the cleric really needs IMO is better / more exciting melee weapons. Not enough difference between the mace and the morning star. The quarterstaff was def a nice inclusion. Maybe some tweaks to make the magic staff a more attractive casting tool compared to alternative? Or a way to cast with a 1 handed weapon out, like wizard with orb and dagger?

Wizard: slightly op, but not as bad as previous playtest. Like I said in the barb section, the issue is more with haste and invisible on other classes. Maybe the buff duration should be nerfed when not cast on yourself? Other than that, things feel OK, though spell balance tweaks are def incoming. I basically never saw anyone using light, ice bolt, or a few others.

General: high level gear balance feels really wonky. The game favors damage over armor for sure. I would play as a fighter with all blue and purple gear and still yet headshot one tapped by barbs or triple tapped by rangers. For PvE bosses, armor is a hindrance. You started to see lots of naked wizards and barbs in high roller, and I think this is why. You shouldn't need to strip down to your skivvies to do the lich or the ghost. Both of those bosses have moves that are either isnta 1 shots or do damage based on % of your health so defensive gear feels pointless. Ranged damage is king in PvE to the point where I honestly don't know how you would do the bosses without a wizard ranger, or bow wielding fighter.

That being said, I think steps were made in the right direction this playtest in terms of overall balance. Maximum stash size means even the sweatiest gods only have so much money or gear to use. Certain modifiers need to be looked at (+ flat damage and + all attributes are king, + armor and + buff duration are basically worthless). Wondering how much the implementation of the currently missing skill system may affect things.

Game good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Big mood. I've been having some fun in hunt: showdown fwiw

I got into Hunt with a couple of my DAD playmates and it is a good middle ground. Definitely a PVP shooter at heart though, despite having some melee. Brutal learning curve and the game is 5-ish years old, I don't think I would've stuck with it if I didn't have vets showing me the ropes. Incredible audio design and vibes though

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Getting back into a match taking 1 min tops instead of 10-15 certainly helps too. You don't have time to stew in negative feelings about how you got owned by players in better gear and it's just not fair etc. The matchmaking is quick enough for you to feel "I want to try again" then you're actually trying again in like 1 min. Lightning fast queue times, fast load times, no skill based matchmaking (outside of High Roller, which isn't really skill-based, just hitting an "I'm sweaty and want to play against sweaty people" toggle) all help

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Diablo 4 is going to be rear end because Blizzard lacks either the talent or the motive to make good games these days. Probably both. This will not stop it from massive success for some reason, because most gamers love being paypigs and Blizzard has mastered the Pavlovian art of loot grind

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Nexon is a bitch rear end company, so their claims should be thrown out and everyone allowed to steal from them.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
game back

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Everyone who has come close to DAD can't help but bog their game down with microtransactions, FOMO shops, loot boxes, season passes, premium currencies.

That's the biggest edge DAD has IMO. Even if Nexon had released P3 I guarantee you it would have gone way of the rumbleverse because that poo poo just sucks all the joy out of a game

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Just like playtest 5, there was/is probably so much in the air they probably didn't know that they could/couldn't do a release under very recently

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Can confirm Deadzone is a solid B rated game that is fun to play with friends and can tickle some (but def not all) parts of a person's DAD addiction

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yes the game has some kind of connection to the old Tribes / Starsiege games but it's not clear at all, basically no story at all in the Starsiege alpha. They are (supposedly) making a trio of shooters, one of which is the extraction-style game we're playing rn, but one is (supposedly) going to be a large scale CTF team game like old school tribes and if/when that happens I will be all over that poo poo lol. Tribes 2 is the very first online shooter game I ever played

In general it's nice to see something outside the generic shooter sludge catch out. I don't even like Tarkov but man has it been a bummer watching Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo and other franchises just morph into each other and slowly die

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yes

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Paradoxically most of the ranged PvE enemies are insanely good at drilling shots into you from point blank range, the usual cheese is to wait for the windup, then step away a few paces, then start circle-strafing. As someone upthread said, all mobs have a moment where their attack animation and direction locks in. If you're a fair distance away and moving perpendicular to the enemy, dodging the ranged attack is fairly easy. This is all in a vacuum, assuming you have an open area to work with and nothing else to consider while trying to dodge, which we all know isn't always the case in a real run. This general principle works against every single ranged attack, including the bugs, bats, mages, as well as the standard archer and crossbowmen.

In a pinch, you can duck the archer and crossbowmen attacks by ducking (and looking down! looking down actually makes your hitbox move) right as they release the shot. This is a lot higher risk so I would only practice this if you have a cleric with you or are on a full poverty run where you don't care if you live or die.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Question about a fighter perk: Is there a typo in the "Shield Mastery" perk description? The second half reads:
"...upon successfully blocking an attack, the next block is 50% faster."

Seems this applies to attacks as well? I'm not using Counterattack, but if I attack immediately after blocking a goblin, my first swing comes out noticeably quicker. Unless this is just a feature of blocking I haven't noticed before because I'm bad?

Blocking with a shield, not a 2h weapon block/parry, to clarify.

Haven't tested myself but I've heard from fighter players the text here is inaccurate and does apply to attacks, as you mentioned. It should also work with two handers that have a block like Longsword and... uh, spear I think? Any of the perks that mention a "defensive stance" work for all of these, not just shield blocking

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Barb is probably the weakest class and a lot of changes they've made are indirect or direct nerfs but I can't stop playing it. They should make berserker a base part of the class or something. The only buff that comes to mind is the price drop on throwing axes but those are still a bit too pricey.

Having to juggle what you're wearing is pretty goofy as is having to punch squishies I'm chasing.

Barbs are tricky but wouldn't say they're the weakest class. They are an incredible chassis upon which to place all the buffs from a bard, cleric or wizard. My vote for weakest is probably Warlock, which may not be fair since the class is obviously under construction. Outside of one single strong strike with blow of corruption, I just don't see them making a huge impact in trios. Hellfire is nifty and great for PvE but you have to be completely asleep at the wheel to get winged by it in PvP

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Bard is annoyingly OP at the moment. The buff meta in general is really annoying RN and I've mostly been playing Goblin Cave where most of the lobby is in default or economy + loadouts because I'm sick of getting steamrolled by a geared fighter with a buff bar longer than than the Great Wall of China. The fact that Bards also get access to crossbows and throwing axes inexplicably on top of everything else is insane to me.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Personal Lucubrant posted:

I vote to nerf the tracking on the goblin mage's ranged spell. Those motherfuckers throw a mean goddamn curveball to follow me 180 degrees around a corner and hit me in the loving ankle.

e: and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

The projectile hurt box from this seems to stick around a few seconds after the magic ball hits terrain, including after the spell visual effects disappear. So even if you dodge the curve, make sure you treat the spot it landed like a land mine or hunter trap for 2 seconds or so. The lingering hit was getting me all the time and this helped

Also the mage will sometimes do a healing spell with a huge windup that's basically a free kill. He can sometimes do it earlier, but will ALWAYS do it after 4 ranged attacks. So if you have lots of time, you can bait this out too.

Annoying enemy for sure though

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Haven't had a ton of time to test out changes but looks like +2 all attributes is gone from gear. Loot rolls are insane right now, you can expect to find 10-20 gold, a sellable or two, and two to three greens or blues in Lion's Head chests on non high roller. I've had multiple 150+ gold extracts since the patch. Plan on bringing empty gold bags in, I'm finding I'm leaving with 50-60 loose gold per run now too. Too early to see how the rest of things have panned out.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
L patch, both of the patches I have liked the most have been reverted less than 48 hours after release.

I feel like they either don't have any idea how they want gear to impact the game or there's a severe internal dichotomy within the devs because these last two patches have been schizophrenic in intent and tone.

Should have just wiped early IMO, tinkering with people's existing gear and doing rollbacks just leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Warlock nerfs are way overboard. They either needed to nerf native self healing or reduce the amount of + magical healing. They hit both pretty hard and I've had more luck running warlock with Blow of Corruption and Phantomize with no casting at all since the nerfs

In general feeling pretty down about the game. Need to wait 3 days after patches I guess to see whether the changes I like actually stick

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Have finally had a few multi hour play sessions and things are in a decent spot. There is definitely hyperinflation due to increased drops and gold in the game, but I don't really engage in trading with other players or rocking best-in-class gear. To me, the game feels better when you are find good loot, for your class, during a series of runs, and that's never been easier.

I would think the removal of the low-level queue has made starting the game daunting. I've been extracting quite a bit but you can definitely still get steamrolled by a juiced team and feel super helpless. I think it would be hard to start the game in the state it's in right now. Goblin Caves is pretty chill but I don't think you should have to play solo in order to get a character off the ground.

Ruins is a hot mess right now IMO, there's a few too many players, the portals spawn too close and too late, and there's too much meta-game valuable stuff (gold ore and wolf pelts) that you'll always be seeing a few juiced out duos in every game. It's also very easy to spawn rush, and the map heavily favors certain classes over others in my opinion. I'd rather play a duos-only queue in the crypt.

Things are still better than expected, which is nice

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I am also not a ruins enjoyer so hearing they want to go back to starting all crypts runs on ruins is not good news for me. I play mostly barbarian and cleric so hard to have a good time on Rogue and Rangerer: The Map

Also I don't care about Druid, I don't think they should be focused on adding wackadoo classes when the ones that are actually in the game RN are in desperate need of polish/balance. Warlock is an obviously incomplete class that is almost unplayable in non-HR gear

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Technical performance is not great right now. Some bug with campfires is allowing people to crash games, but at least you get kicked back to tavern with your pre game loadout when this happens.

Demon and plate warlock both seem pretty meh. Granted I think a lot of people are new to the class so maybe they're just bad. Plate lock casts so slow I don't think it's worth it still. Something like 5+ seconds to charge a shadow bolt, and 10 or so for a hydra

One interesting wrinkle is the demon form's steroid skill gives you healing on hit based on a portion of the TARGET's max HP. So the healing is pretty good even on rank and file PvE enemies but can be very, very high on targets like barbarians and minibosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yep, I'm done for a long while. Multiclassing is a disaster, the pickpocket bug is just icing on the poo poo cake. Most of my 7-8 person friend group is also setting the game down now too. Truly one of the biggest self-own patches in a while