Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I have also noticed that a lot of people don't know that headshots do more damage. Baiting the AI into swinging while knowing the rhythm of whatever weapon you are using should make it relatively easy to a 1v1 without taking damage, by just stepping in and out of range for a quick headshot. 6-8 of those will drop almost every non elite mob. Just hop in with your noob loot and practice your timing until it makes sense.

(The only exception is the default Barb axe which is currently too short and really hard to time for new players)

If you are pulling more than one mob at a time, you probably hosed up something you had control over, and you just need to learn the map more.

Some other pro tips:

-if you have class abilities that do damage on a 30-40 second CD (like Judgement for clerics or Rupture for rogues) you should be using those CONSTANTLY to open fights.

-Exit portals will typically spawn in the last four minutes, distributed towards the middle of the remaining circle. They can be on different floors from you and that fact will be the #1 reason you die even when you are a vet who knows map and is the only survivor. You can listen for the stone grinding sound they make when they pop up and figure out where they are by cross referencing where the sound came from relative to the minimap. Again, this is map knowledge stuff that gets easier.

-Grey "treasure" type loot like gems and candalabras etc are worth a lot more than gear. Unless the gear is blue tier or useful for your class/friend/an alt, prioritize the "junk" stuff because it's smaller and vendors for more gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

TwingeCrag posted:

Protip to all the other wizards this playtest: white spellbooks and crystal balls improve the spell damage of magic missile by a frankly upsetting amount compared to the grey staff. If you want a super poverty wizard run, buy those and rawhide gloves and it's like a legit 30% damage improvement over nothing but greys.

Their casting animation is also tighter/faster so you don't get that lovely "gently caress I HIT MY STAFF ON THE DOORFRAME AND NOW AM DEAD" moment so often.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Spears are crazy OP right now and taking the Ranger perk that lets you use them is a no brainer just FYI.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Jiro posted:

Wizard and rogue are probably the hardest to start off solo with

Yes but also no, once you get the hang of the starter dagger and the mob attack timing it becomes trivial to headshot them and then back up before they can swing again. Rogues are probably tied with fighters for how easy it is to clear goblins solo.

In terms of starter Rogue skills, take the "10 steps when Hidden" perk immediately and your survivability will go up dramatically. Being able to hide and then take ten careful steps towards the nearest door is often the difference between life and death, and makes it easy to start getting the hang of the map and such without constantly dying.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

You recover health as a rogue by killing a ranger for his starting campfire, hth

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

It's basically impossible for me to tell exactly how geared an enemy player is since the rarity of their gear isn't reflected visually. Is that felling axe a crappy grey one or a one-shotting orange one.

The skins are actually visually distinct between quality for a lot of the weapons, with grey being lovely/rusty and the weapon getting progressively cleaner and more gilt as it gets better.

Just, you know, good luck noticing how pimped the handle of that felling axe is right before it caves your face in.

(also, all armor looks the same)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not the quality of the starter axe that makes it bad - it's the animation/speed. I'd take a felling axe with nerfed damage as a replacement starter weapon just because it feels so much better to swing.

The right click swing is way less terrible.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

If you are just starting the game and are having difficulty with it I would highly suggest starting with Fighter + the any weapon perk or Ranger. The goal with the former being to try and find a bow, and the latter to try and find a sword or rapier.

Both classes can self-heal for some sustain, can do both ranged and melee, and can benefit from cheap vendor armor for a significant buff in survivability once you successfully extract. At that point you can start buying a grey arming sword for your Ranger or a grey bow for your Fighter and going into the caves with both, which is all you need to safely clear goblins and improve your survivability a ton.

eta: /\ and year you should probably just kill people on sight, especially if you have the upper hand. There's only three extract portals for 11 people.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

They are already aggressively updating their anti cheat measures in a way Tarkov never has, and the game code is a lot simpler to boot, so I'm less pessimistic about this game in that regard.

I got cheated on once this entire playtest, and never after the update midtest.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I think 90% of the portal issues are caused by portals not spawning on the floor you're on, which is problematic when the late game map is often cut up into weird shapes by the circle so you can't access stairs or whatever. They just need to adjust the weighting on the portal randomizer a bit to account for where the players actually are, ie only randomize them on the "right" floor(s) for the current player layout.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Jiro posted:

The swinging animation with the Zweihander is the hardest thing to get used to, especially in narrow hallway fights.

If you have played Chivalry 2 it's a lot easier because you can shorten your DnD swing in the exact same way you speed up your swing in Chiv, ie whip your camera leftward as you swing to change where the cleave starts/ends.

Makes it easy to hit doors in hallways etc. Also makes it easier to hit rogues trying to flank around you.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The zwei belongs in the trash.

It's dangerous in team fights but it's absolutely the strongest weapon in the game for clearing groups. I absolutely destroyed several full groups last wipe and also always killed PartialOctopus but that's his fault for not respecting the cleave

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 22, 2023

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Hard to use? Yes. Dangerous to your teammates? Absolutely. Possibly not worth the effort for most players? Maybe.

But nothing that can lay down a triple 2H headshot (90+ damage?) that easily skips over shields is "trash", I will fight you there. That thing is a head deleter.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

War maul prob better.

Zwei is like a quarter second faster and has a noticeably longer range.

Also does War Maul cleave, like, everything? Because the #1 best feature of Zwei is the fact that you get to hit EVERYONE with your swings. None of the other 2H weapons I used much (Battle Axe, Felling Axe, Longsword, Halberd, probably some others I'm forgetting) had nearly the same unstoppable swing. I'm pretty sure it's a unique Zwei property. :shrug:

I don't know who these good shield users are that can predict whether or not I'm gonna kneel or jump at the last second but I didn't run into enough of them to stop splitting melons, so I will keep advocating for my big dumb sword.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Have seen anyone talk about it yet, but next playtest is gonna be between March/April, Early Access late April/May (PAID Early Access, but likely cheap) and release in Q4 2023.

https://imgur.com/a/Sied4Q6

gently caress yes, countdown to sweaty times.

Also, on the topic of Zwei cleaves, here's a video that shows what I'm talking about (granted, he's soloing a comically bad team, but you see the juicy cleaves regardless)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkAndDarker/comments/zu7b8r/barbarian_zweihander_a_lot_of_luck/

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

He means both skills were spellbooks, no Meditation in the second slot, just campfires for spell slots.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

And because campfires work on the same mechanic as Meditate, ie all spell resources recharge at the same time, you are also getting more total points/second back (recharging more spells at once), meaning a shorter campfire before you have to dip out to fight will help more overall.

Ultimate thicc boi tech

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

swordfish duelist posted:

Dunno about y'all, but them airing out the laundry on discord is not a good look in my opinion. It kinda gives off a guilty "let me get it out before you do so they believe me" kinda vibe.

Not saying they are or aren't, because I have the faintest clue about all of this.

I just want to go back to smashing heads in with axes. :sigh:

Friend, I promise you, even a "medium-small" game studio (ie a multimillion dollar company with dozens of employees at a minimum), who has been raided by police and then had a DMCA claim filed on them, has run their public statement(s) past a lawyer or two first.

IANAL to be clear, but my job involves a ton of legal analysis and working with lawyers in very tense public policy contexts, and IMO that statement is a perfect use of publicly available info and the kind of poo poo you'd put into your PR releases in response to a suit anyways, except theirs also has specific publicly available citations that make the plaintiff look dumb as poo poo in the court of public opinion.

It's just "the plaintiff's claims are false and we look forward to proving so in court" except they also cited evidence of the first part to put the social heat on Nexon. Considering one of their downside scenarios is that they eventually win in court but lose the race to release the game while the sizzle is still hot, putting a little non-court-based pressure on Nexon is probably pretty smart.

So unless Korean courts have really weird muzzle rules or something I'm not aware of, that statement is as close to perfect as I would expect in the circumstances.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-yi57cdyQ&t=326s

There's a shitload of hearty LOL's to be had in this video if you are an Ironmace supporter, but by far and away my favourite is the fact that apparently Nexon's law firm claimed, as one of the allegedly stolen, proprietary assets... WWise engine files. Licensed, third party content they don't own, and that the entire loving game industry uses. A Rudy Guliani tier dick-stepping.

Again IANAL and extra super I am Not Korean, but... Nexon are hosed lol

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

as they can prove reasonable evidence

I'm curious, how would you rate their evidence? Do you think their claim of owning the proprietary rights to having files called "Torch" and "Lockpick", a class called Barbarian, and using the WWise engine, is good evidence of copyright infringement?

And before you say "South Korean court", remember this is a DMCA request leveled at Steam, and Arnold & Porter are definitely not a South Korean law firm.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It's almost always impossible for outsiders to make truly meaningful predictions about a case that's being litigated in any way, because both sides are incentivized to stay quiet about key parts.

Also, any one of the following could apply:

-One side is holding a nuclear Uno Reverse card up their sleeve and is hiding it;
-Both sides are actually currently negotiating a deal, and this is just pressure being added to the pile;
-One or both sides have delusional leadership/decision makers who are the ones paying the lawyers to do inadvisably stupid things on their behalf;
-One or both sides have really, really bad lawyers. (These last two happen a lot more than you would think)

When you add all those parts together, you're just trying to get an approximate gauge of who has the stronger case based on their complaint or whatever is actually public. Which, in this case, Nexon's actual filed complaint is at first blush so dumb and niche it seems to suggest Nexon is suffering from some amount of #3 or #4, but who knows, judges are extremely stupid when it comes to anything tech and you never know about Point #1, especially when they are personally suing one of the people involved. I think I'd rather be audited by a tax authority than go through discovery.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Kchama posted:

Double post, but some new information learned: So this isn't just sour grapes that Ironmace used the P3 idea after it was cancelled and they left. Instead, them leaving (and apparently wiping the data on the way out) is what killed P3 and caused it to be cancelled because the development head and half the dev team was fired or quit.

Also, Nexon for all its faults has a very strong union in it that makes it almost impossible to fire people without very strong cause. Normally, they can only make you quit (and this is implied to be the reason why the team leader was quitting, because he was being fired without strong evidence of misconduct. It was being upgraded to 'fired' though when they learned he had taken data off of their servers, and then deleted it off of their servers, if I am understanding it correctly. So Nexon had always intended to develop it and release it, but Ironmace's actions made it impossible.

EDIT: According to a Nexon employee, the Ironmace guy, Mr. A, was intentionally conflating a completely different project with P3. He had permission to use a private server with the other project, but Nexon soon implemented a work-home solution and never gave permission to use a private server for P3. LF was cancelled at preproduction for not looking good, and they were moved to P3, and Mr. A began secretly recruiting for his new company that he was going to take the P3 and LF data to in order to make it in revenge for L3 being cancelled.

Nexon found out and fired him for it.

What is your source for all this?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Kchama posted:

A Korean site called 'Blind' that people use to anonymously air stuff. Another employee on the LF/P3 team talked about what happened.

I realize this isn't Debate and Discussion, but come on man, that's not a source, that's one step above something you heard a dude say while you were on the shitter at a bus station. Even if it wasn't anonymous it's from someone who is self reporting as an employee at the plaintiff company.

(As an aside it occurs to me that an employee leaking internal info about this case on an unsecured shitpost website is probably almost as bad as an employee using expired authorization to justify hosting an unsecured offsite work server, but weirdly, one of these is a sign of bad ethics and the other is a rock solid source? But I digress.)

But ok, you're going to take an anonymous shitpost at face value to defend this very specific large corporation that does not need your help for no real reason at all but your sense of... fairness? Duty to truth? A half dozen posts in this thread on the same theme, none prior to this incident? That's a lot of uncompensated labor, comrade.

As long as I live I will never understand the impulse of a free born human being in TYOOL 2023 to hop on the internet to defend the honor of any large corporation, billionaire, or government agency vs the little person. Further, I just can't imagine being a game enthusiast of any kind and seeing the world get one less cool fun game that hundreds of thousands of people are very excited about, at the behest of a giant corporation, and being anything other than extremely skeptical about the motives and/or angry.

Like if you lack any reflexive cynicism about this kind of poo poo after everything that happens in our world every single day, let alone the earliest history of computers and the internet, to the point where you feel compelled to do free PR for your laird Nexon Corporation, I guess you've got an extremely resilient sense of something or other that must have fled my brain long since.

Oh and let's get a link to this post too, Google Translate makes reading this poo poo pretty easy and I'd love to see the evidence laid out from this Nexon Deep Throat risking their career and maybe a fine or prison sentence or whatever for leaking inside info about an active police investigation and DMCA suit.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

If you want to post links to Korean legal documents or actual journalism or whatever confirmed information fill your boots, I'm just saying that an anonymous post from a Nexon employee on the topic is basically as credible as a mod post in the Ironmace forum, and that you should probably be less credulous when it comes to big corporations in general anyways because they are the thief of fun.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

They updated the Steam files a few days ago and just updated their Discord rules today, I am taking this as a sign a new test window (or even ER) is about to drop.

If you are a Dark and Darker fan and you have shown a lack of faith in this thread, wallahi you will not see the Heaven of a playtest

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Four seconds of Google later:

https://steamdb.info/app/2258570/history/?changeid=18299381

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ShowTime posted:

I wonder what people like Groovelord are gonna say when it doesn't happen.

"Oh, it's just late. It happens all the time with these big games."

"Steam didn't get their poo poo together in time."

"The servers the game is using are being DDOS'd by haters and/or Nexon."

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you are a Dark and Darker fan and you have shown a lack of faith in this thread, wallahi you will not see the Heaven of a playtest

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Bards can use (some) bows and get a skill that juices rapiers, I don't know what a ranger is even FOR anymore, give me the fruity singing boi for life

Also:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doubters vacate!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Yeah East Coast was fine for me for two games now, pings were fine from the west coast fwiw

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Are you seriously saying that Nexon has a point with the unreal engine files being the same?

He doesn't even play the game, just takes a break from posting in QCS all day to come and tell us all how right Nexon us for some reason.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

There must be a ton of newbies playing, I've had several instances of rogues and rangers trying to push my fully equipped fighter head on and get absolutely handled by a Longsword/Zwei shot this morning.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

solo wizard seems like a special form of torture. I tried so hard but i have yet to extract.

Meditation should just be a perk that applies to resting imo.

The trick is to realize you're actually really dangerous in melee with Haste, Ignite and Invisibility, you should be using your armor penetrating magic damage to buzzsaw people in a way not dissimilar to a rogue.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Hard same, red skellies in the Goblin Caves, officially Not Cool

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

And they get bows too which is just :chef kiss:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Played all night with goons and had a little stuttering, nothing bad. I haven’t had any issues others have been having since release so who knows. Maybe I’m lucky. Shot my teammate in the back of the head during a fight and would do so again

Your best headshot of the night :argh:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Outside of the specifics of the gunplay mechanics, which I think everyone agrees is Tarkov's main secret sauce, Dark and Darker has all the best parts of the Tarkov experience (risk and reward, thrills, near misses, standing dead still sweatily listings for footsteps, just the overall 'feel') minus all the worst parts (taking fifteen minutes to rebuild a kit after every death, ten minute plus queues, having to find a roll of toilet paper and a nuclear launch briefcase in order to unlock the ability to buy gear that isn't dogshit, Nikkita going insane and making it so you have to throw infinite towels into a gaping hole in the wall because he's a sick gently caress, etc)

I am sure Tarkov will always have it's fans, but for casual players of both, I think most people will favour Dark and Darker in the long run, especially with how fast DnD is adding content vs Tarkov clearly stagnating for a while now.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Guys, guys, the answer is right there staring you in the face:

Crystal sword melee wizard.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Those cobalt-wearing sweatlords do in fact die to dumb luck in the goblin caves (some newb trains an ill-timed boss towards them and dumps aggro, circle/portal luck forces them into making hasty moves, random rogue gets lucky on them after they've just finished dunking on someone, whatever) and leave their loot for idiots in starter gear to fight over.

AKA, Jackpot.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

eat poo poo haters!

Franks Happy Place posted:

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 17, 2023

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

BHB posted:

the extremely hosed up thing is that I still fall for this like half the time.

I got caught like this last night but he had to come around a close corner to shoot me and he got the Prayer Hands of Death, probably hit for 40+ given my gear lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Meta really does seem to have shifted in the last two days towards "run your best kit at all times" which is probably great from a balance-testing standpoint.