Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Just did a run as a Barb with a hatchet and horseman axe and if you hold both mouse buttons down you alternate your swings very fast. Seems like a fun alternative to Felling axes (which I love so much but oh man it sucks when you hit a shield or miss a swing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

The only thing I wish existed were more ways to alternate your swings and some kind of blocking or parry mechanic for all melee weapons. I say this as someone who pretty much just plays Barbarian.

It usually ends up being the first person to land a hit just wins but it also feels so bad to go at someone with a shield and having my already extremely slow attack stopped instantly and with a longer recovery. There's just no counter play there and it kind of sucks, if I could at least block their attacks there might be a back and forth, but instead the only course of action is for me to just keep swinging and hope they miss their blocks since for some reason barbarians are also one of the slower classes (without rage anyway).

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I think I've read about some people getting v. high %physical damage reduction (>80%? >90%). That will feel like shot for shot they're coming out far ahead, but that's probably a tell that you should use different tactics, like magic damage or oil lanterns or molotovs or not engaging.

I'm all for changing up tactics and trying to roll with the punches. But with the way the game works right now I have no idea if someone has high damage reduction when I'm hitting them until after they've killed me and see how little damage I actually did.

It's basically impossible for me to tell exactly how geared an enemy player is since the rarity of their gear isn't reflected visually. Is that felling axe a crappy grey one or a one-shotting orange one. I won't know until they hit me with it. If I could tell how good their stuff was then maybe I could plan to avoid them or change my tactics away from an upfront confrontation. But in general playing a barbarian usually just means to run in and hit them before they hit you since that's all you're built for.

I'm not saying that's not fun, it just would also be nice if outcomes of fights could be decided a bit more mechanically rather than 2 sets of numbers smashing each other with the higher one coming out on top usually.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I think the 'two numbers smashing together' comment is a big reductive, from upthread; I agree that those numbers could use tweaking and more fair is better than less fair, but I also think there's more to the game than standing directly in front of each other and swinging until one of you dies. You dodge out, get behind a corner, chug a potion, try to bait out your enemy's attack, dodge, go for the swing - it's not just each person swinging until they're out of hitpoints, you're doing other things. An unfair advantage means the worse geared player has to play better than the well geared player, though, which is hard when you probably also have less experience (little 'e') than the geared out person.

My comment kind of fixates on barbarian gameplay, it just feels like 2 numbers smashing together when it's barbarian vs barbarian or shieldless fighter. I know there's a possibility of people missing their swings or connecting with terrain instead but 90% of my encounters like this just end up being 2 dudes smashing each other until one falls over. There's not a lot of dodging possibilities especially with barb since you're already one of the slower classes and if you start a swing and they start a swing you move even slower there's a low chance of either of you missing. Even adding something as simple as feinting (cancelling my swings during the windup) so I can move at normal speed again would probably go a while in feeling like you have more control in a melee.

And maybe that's not what they're going for? Maybe they just want barbarians to be the guys that can only run up and smash against the other guys numbers and I should be playing another class if I want to try and play smart. I just really love smashing doors and chests it's half the reason I stuck with them

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Anyone have any idea how you go deeper in the team map? It's outdoors now but I've seen some parties make it to the next level

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Does the crystal sword increase my wizard spell damage or does it just do extra magic damage on hit. Says Magic Weapon Damage instead of the staff's Magic Damage. But the number is bigger and there's no explanation anywhere so I have no idea.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

How does anyone play Barbarian anymore these days? My friends and I loved playing them during the playtests but it just kind of seems people know that all you need to do is sidestep you now and it's impossible to land a hit anymore. With 2 handed axes anyway, the second you start a swing your move speed drops to the point where even someone just back peddling will avoid the hit.

We ended up just playing fighter because they actually have a sprint ability to close the distance, plus are able to wear enough gear to be invincible if you get decked out enough. It's so sad because we just love playing dumb barbarian boys who bust down doors and crack open chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

achilles strike + throwing axes (and maybe even torches) heavily encourages targets to root themselves or take tons of damage

Can you throw axes and trigger achilles strike on hit? That might really help

I find them the weakest but also the most fun to play and I hate that. It's frustrating since like 90% of all my barbarian fights turn out so bad especially against geared teams.