Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
My read is that they rolled the balance changes back because of the amount of rage generated as a result of rerolling people's hoards of overpowered gear, in combination with being forced to do a server rollback either way to fix technical issues. The pre-patch announcement says that they're going to try a rebalance again the next time the game wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
I tested the Warlock's new demon form skill (Blood Pact) before the server went down for the hotfix. Here's my findings so far:
  • Unlike the description implies, it does not have a fixed duration. It does cost hitpoints each second to maintain, but it lasts until cancelled by using the corresponding skill again. The HP drain can kill you, and since it's not a cost of spellcasting, it is not prevented by Immortal Lament.
  • Entering demon form has a channel time, but does not prevent movement, while dismissing it is nearly instant.
  • The demon form melee attack was originally equivalent to a character's default wimpy punch attack, but the hotfix currently being applied is increasing its base damage by 5 and its impact power to 4 according to the patch notes - still a rather weak amount of damage.
  • Contrary to the description of Blood Pact, the demon form shadow bolt attack does expend HP in order to cast.
  • While in demon form, the character's other skill is changed into a demon-form-only skill. It has a duration of ~4-5 seconds with a ~30-second cooldown, and it causes hitting monsters to restore something like 5% health to a default kit warlock. This is triggered by both the demon form's melee attack and its shadow bolt attack, but not by damage-over-time from spells cast before activating demon form. A default kit warlock can't cast demon form shadow bolts fast enough for them to be a very significant source of health restore, and while the melee attack is faster, depending on the enemy, it may be difficult to get lots of hits in while also dodging attacks. The cooldown is tracked independently of whether the warlock is currently in demon form or not.

cranky corvid fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 1, 2024

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Einwand posted:

So, magic heal warlock is just not a build now I guess? You'd need basically perfect gear for it to even go even.
Also odd, what's the point to phantomize making you weak to magic if you can't even get hit by aoe spells now.

In the actual changelog on the discord, it says, "Fixed an issue where Warlocks could not be hit by some area-of-effect spells while using Phantomize" (emphasis not mine). I'm guessing there was a typo in the original version.