Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Horseman axe is absolutely broken. My barb is hitting for over 100 on a headshot. Also if someone shields just jump and swing at their head.

Wizard is OK, it’s hard to play around your melee teammates if you are doing traditional wizard. Once you switch to dagger/ball wizard things really take off and it’s pretty broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

GlyphGryph posted:

Splitting the player base in a way that lets less confidant players build up their skills is almost always a good thing. A split but larger player base has no negative effect on anyone. DRG manages a well supported "no other players" mode just fine and its a big part of why the game has as many players as it does. I know a lot of players that would have bounced off hard if they didn't have a mode that let them cut their teeth or just chillax sometimes.

You'd run out of content real quick in Darker.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Was rolling with two of the homies in the room with jail cells, spike traps and wood bridges. A rogue saw me in a cell while bandaging. I cancelled my bandage and ducked a few times and he ducked and dropped his clothes. He then rolled with us as we destroyed the rest of the squads in the dungeon. We even dropped clothes for him from the players we killed once we were comfortable with him. We looped back around, and he actually noticed that there was a cleric casting spells in a room with only one entrance and started beating on the door, so we stacked up and killed the two guys inside. We saw his name briefly in the killfeed, but we kept moving on to fight more squads so we didn't catch his full name. We all found portals and extracted at the end.

Game owns.

dsf posted:

im not sure how much long term longevity this game is gonna have once its actually out for a bit and the high-roller 3 mans start getting seriously geared up. already starting to see what a huge difference geared players have only 1 week into the playtest and the imbalance is only going to get worse and that much harder for people starting out to get a foothold.

Well, it is a free game with a projected EA release in April which is traditionally a dead time of the year for game releases. I think it will be fine for quite a while, despite what the "OMG I DIED IN 3 SECONDS" newbies keep crying about.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jiro posted:

They could always do what Tarkov does and just wipe everything for new seasons or whatever. Making everyone start from scratch again. Although it would be nice to eventually start blocking high geared/leveled teams from entering the normal castle to give those of us that don't have four hours a day to level grind a chance to grab and keep gear.

Or at the very least giving level tiers to dungeon maps to group people as close as possible relative to their respective levels/gear.

They could probably make it not worthwhile to roll through the regular dungeon by adding expensive repairs to their equipment.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Orlanthi was running HR and taxing people to loot his treasure hoard, then a viewer suggest he kill everyone in the room. He said he'd do it for a $100 donation, and someone donated.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AggressiveCredulousWrenchMoreCowbell-ZPJruWJqu_bD2oj7

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The portals are 100% fine. There is supposed to be some amount of scarcity. They had too many portals in the first play test, including triple blue portals and now they’re gone for a reason. A lot of things they do is to decrease ratting, they don’t want you to come in with 30 red pots and outheal the circle and loot for 25 minutes. Their intentions are very clear if you look at the changes made between play tests.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think the portals are fine and only really lovely when the circle is around hallways or you're in an area with multiple floors but the way DMZ does extraction is way better and I hope someone who rips this off does some version of it.

Static extractions are really lovely, just look at Tarkov. There are people who's gameplay loop is solely camping extractions. Obviously, some classes would be better at it than others, ie ranged. Imagine rangers or wizards getting to a portal room or whatever early, shutting off all of the lights and hopping up to an area that's hard to see but easy to shoot or fireball down from. You have to remember in this type of game, people will always flock to playing as the lowest common denominator.

Also, there is a static extract in goblin caves.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Pretty sure the throwing knife just causes bleed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Killing people is the superior way to loot anyway.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Wizards are actually too fast. When they stack haste and invis you have no chance to kill them. Your best bet is to try throwing knives or Francesca’s when they’re running away. When I played dagger wizard, rangers were 100% free kills. They always draw their bow and hold their shot which makes them essentially immobile, you hit your ignite, haste, invis stack and get in their face and they die to two stabs. Even if they hit you with one shot, you’ll be fine.

I played rangers for the first couple of play tests and they were OP. This playtest I didn’t really feel that was the case. They keep dropping the velocity and trajectory of all bows.

When I played fighter or barb, I punched out countless numbers of rangers. You just have to have your mobility buff running. If not just throw Francesca’s.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you think felling axe is OP, you’re out of your mind. I was personally wiping half of the lobbies with a horseman axe, no offhand hatchet cause it only slows you down. And also I was wearing a shirt, all the available shirts to barbs have too much defense for the amount of speed it slows you down. I’ve also seen rogues dunk on felling axe barbs, because the range is so short and miss is so punishing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jiro posted:

The swinging animation with the Zweihander is the hardest thing to get used to, especially in narrow hallway fights.

The zwei belongs in the trash.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you have played Chivalry 2 it's a lot easier because you can shorten your DnD swing in the exact same way you speed up your swing in Chiv, ie whip your camera leftward as you swing to change where the cleave starts/ends.

Makes it easy to hit doors in hallways etc. Also makes it easier to hit rogues trying to flank around you.

It's dangerous in team fights but it's absolutely the strongest weapon in the game for clearing groups. I absolutely destroyed several full groups last wipe and also always killed PartialOctopus but that's his fault for not respecting the cleave

War maul prob better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

gently caress yes, countdown to sweaty times.

Also, on the topic of Zwei cleaves, here's a video that shows what I'm talking about (granted, he's soloing a comically bad team, but you see the juicy cleaves regardless)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkAndDarker/comments/zu7b8r/barbarian_zweihander_a_lot_of_luck/

I wouldn't mistake killing 3 really bad dudes for actually being good. I've killed every Zwei user I've seen either with a spear fighter, quarterstaff barb or horseman barb. There is a good reason no one runs that poo poo when actually geared.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

In the evolution of human weaponry, it pretty much goes wooden club, horseman's axe, nuke.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

All of this math arguing is bullshit anyway. All the good players are prot potting for every encounter, and the good teams have buffed there barb with bless, shield, haste and ignite.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Expedition Agatha is better than it’s own tutorial makes it out to be. It’s definitely more Tarkovy than Dark and Darker. I’ve been having fun with it but it’s player base is going to remain low so it will have no chance to go anywhere.

As far as my actual thoughts on it, it has more of the bad parts of Tarkov than DaD. Insurance, although it’s not as big of a deal in this, is something I hated in Tarkov. People camping their dead teammmates for 20 minutes trying to save the gear instead of looting or doing their quests. Won’t be the same issue here because it’s melee not guns that shoot hundreds of meters. The other issue is the quest design and vendors, as well as having to have items in your inventory not stash making everything take forever. You have a lot of potential to spend a ton of time in the menus instead of in game and fighting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Agatha has a mode where you can queue like the scavs from Tarkov, but you enter a 16 person tournament where every time you win your 1 on 1 match you get a little more loot until the final 4 have a FFA. It's a ton of fun, good way to actually practice the combat and build a nice stock of loot. Hell I enjoy this so much I just might do this mode forever.

It also has regular scav run type deal on the first map only. Its oddly located on the very top of the screen so a lot of people miss it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Killed one of the more prominent DaD streamers in Project Agartha, in arena so no chance of stream sniping. He rage quit and threw a bit of a fit afterwards.

https://youtu.be/inVHqgjoyqE

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I mean he was doing spear spam, so it’s not like there is only one strong weapon type. He misplayed badly, it happens but also the stam system is hosed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Both companies are lying to make themselves seem better. All of this is real sad because this could be an awesome game, and it will never see the light of day now. Regardless who is right or wrong, Nexon will bleed out Ironmace.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Goons, let's just remake the game in Roblox.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Your best bet is to not involve anyone from Nexon or Ironmace at all and just remake your best amalgamation of DaD in either fortnite or Roblox. Nothing in DaD is particularly groundbreaking, but all together it’s a nice game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

When this is all over, we’re going to find out the story falls in the grey area, and both sides lies about a lot of stuff.

Which is exactly why a bunch of idiots on the internet aren’t the ones deciding the outcome here.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It means the game is still technically on Steam and IM can interact with it, but it’s not visible in the store.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It doesn’t mean anything. I will say people keep acting like the next playtest is happening as scheduled in the official discord and no one has jumped in to say it isn’t. But I wouldn’t put too much hope in it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Dang.

Not surprising though.

Anyone else hate the outdoor map?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Is the outdoor map just rogues billygoating up the towers and spamming hand crossbows down now?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

They made this poo poo way too dark. No way they meant to make it this bad.

edit: could just be confirmation bias but it seems like a lot more reds have been spawning.

Don't be racist.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Fighter/Slayer with dual wield seems pretty cool, but you take a hugeeee penalty by not being able to wear actual helmets since you can't wear plate. I think they should have an intermediate helmet, as the only option is the Leather Cap. Falchion and Horseman are still super strong.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

In my opinion IM approached this and executed in the worst ways possible. I mean the loading screen art was lifted from P3. Then later slightly altered so they can claim it isn’t the same. The tavern was cloned from P3, which is why they changed it in the latest playtest but it’s not like they will convince anyone in court. If you stole art and didn’t bother to change it, then chances are they stole code too. Which is all very sad, because I loving love this game, but they did not go about this the right way.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

is the "lifted" loading screen art like from that article herstory linked?

No. I’m talking about the loading screens.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I created 3 accounts by accident

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Anything they make off the deal is potentially forfeit depending on how the trial or whatever goes.

Also the “classic cold brew coffee” seems to be freeze dried “instant” coffee with a ton of sugar and powdered milk. Which is weird to call that classic coffee.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

No update on the court case and no recourse to get your money back if they cut and run or are shut down tomorrow…

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The cash shop is Apex characters and cosmetics. Both of which you can unlock through regular game play. I don't really think it's all that bad. They don't want P2W micro transaction hell, which is probably what you'd get from Nexon. That said, that's far from my primary concern of whether this game will continue to exist in any sort of time span, and they're not inspiring confidence right now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Steam, EA launcher, Epic, Uplay, or Rockstar launcher would all be unsketchy. Steam is the only ideal one, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I caved and bought it. I suppose it should be mentioned that the sales platform is Xsolla, which despite what I originally thought is not some Russian company, it's based on California. The founder is probably Russian though, so Russian adjacent. You can't pay with Paypal, but you can use Amazon Pay or Google Pay which might give you some chance of recourse if something goes wrong.

That said, I killed a bard with his own drum. So that was fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The problem right now is people who are doing hell are coming through the regular dungeon with blue and purple gear and stomping everyone else in the grey to green gear. At least if you could find a blue or purple weapon, you'd have a chance. I dunno if they need to do some sort of gear score limit or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMvdreyutgI