Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
!!!WARNING!!!
WHILE THIS GAME IS CURRENTLY PURCHASABLE AND PLAYABLE, IRONMACE IS STILL INVOLVED IN A LAWSUIT THAT MAY AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO PLAY IN THE FUTURE. PURCHASE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
!!!WARNING!!!

Dark and Darker is a first-person dungeon delving PvEvP game that instead of using guns and other firearms, uses swords and spells. If Escape from Tarkov and Skyrim had a baby, and if Chivalry and Hunt: Showdown had a baby, and those two babies met and hosed, Dark and Darker would be that baby. Pick one of your typical fantasy RPG classes and enter a dungeon, with the goal of gathering as much treasure as you can while fighting off goblins, skeletons, zombies, spiders and even liches, but most importantly, other adventuers. Barbarian, Rogue, Wizard, Fighter, Cleric and Ranger are currently available (but many more are being added), each with their own skill set and combat style. As an example, if you haven't guessed it, Clerics heal. They can even revive if you choose to enter a dungeon as a party. Rangers can set traps and track other players footsteps, Rogues can pick locked chests and doors, and Wizards do what Wizards do: cast fireballs. Escape the dungeon before you die with all the treasure you've gathered, purchase better equipment, level up your character and gather enough courage to go again.

Right now, the game is currently in beta with a release scheduled for late 2023. Created by a new studio based out of Korea, Ironmace Games is made of a small group of experienced game developers who decided they wanted to make the games they wanted to make, rather than just what they were being paid to make. During the first beta, the game had about 1,000 players. They loved it and the excitement for the next one gathered so much interest, the next beta had over 15,000 con-current players. Excitement continued to grow and by the third beta, over 30,000 players were playing at any given time. Even some of the biggest streamers in the world were beginning to gather interest and play, which only continued to increase excitement.

Right now, the game is currently in beta with a release scheduled for late 2023. Created by a new studio based out of Korea, Ironmace Games is made of a small group of experienced game developers who decided they wanted to make the games they wanted to make, rather than just what they were being paid to make. During the first beta, the game had about 1,000 players. They loved it and the excitement for the next one gathered so much interest, the next beta had over 15,000 con-current players. Excitement continued to grow and by the third beta, over 30,000 players were playing at any given time. Even some of the biggest streamers in the world were beginning to gather interest and play, which only continued to increase excitement.

Today, February 6th, 2023 the 4th beta has begun and there are over 90,000 con-current players, with almost 250k people viewing on Twitch. The game is incredibly popular and only recently entered beta.

Attribute Breakdown

To be added.

Combat Tips & Tricks

To be added.

Future Release Content Teased by Develops

To be added.

Official Links and Stuff:

https://www.ironmace.com/
https://discord.gg/darkanddarker (the Dark and Darker official Discord and the best resource for information about the game)
https://discord.gg/n3FrweAM The Dark and Darker Goon Discord

Where to Find and How to Play: https://www.darkanddarker.com or https://www.chafgames.com/games/dark-and-darker both sites will provide access to a singular client, so purchase wherever you feel most comfortable.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Reserving 2nd post for beta information, guild information and Discord information.

The original post will continue to be updated and added too, I just wanted to get the thread going so people can start talking about the game and getting together to play it.

Discord server hosted by PartialOctopus: https://discord.gg/jq8X52ZQ

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 7, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Playtest #4 patch notes:

Alpha Playtest #4 Changelog
# New Features and Updates
- New Gathering Hall System - Hang out at the Gathering Hall and build the perfect dungeon party.
- New Karma System - Rate your fellow allies after your adventure. Beware! Scoundrels and deviants are unable to participate.
- New VoIP - In-game voice chat to interact with other adventurers.
- New experimental Goblin Caves for a solo adventurer experience!
- New Trading Channel QoL features.
- New Report system to help us round up and punish the wicked.
- New Cosmetics
- New Weapons - Short Sword and Quarterstaff,
- Some Unique Weapons have been greatly improved.
- Attack animation improved for the War Maul, Double Axe & Battle Axe.
- Weapon attack animations now do more varying amounts of damage.
- New Armors for the 'head' slot.
- New 'Sanctuary' spell for the Cleric.
- New Ore and Craft Items.
- New 'Valentine' NPC.
- The secretive 'Goblin Merchant' now sells mysterious wares.
- An improved party invite system.
- Added bundled items to the merchants.
- Added Flavor texts for more immersive game mood.
- Added a new Tokyo Region + preliminary Japanese localization - first draft.

# Balancing
- Moved the starting spawns from the edge of the map to the interior and added more variations to test.
- 2-handed weapon attack movement penalty has been reduced.
- Added +1 base stat point to 'agility' to the Cleric to normalize the class with all other classes.
- Rebalanced the Wizard's starting stats.
- Added a projectile damage falloff system where damage slightly decreases based on distance. Currently the effect is very small.
- Plate armor improved to give more bonuses,
- Lightfoot Boots, Regal Gambeson and Templar Armor are a little slower.
- Rapier damage slightly buffed.
- An installed Pavise can now be knocked down by an attack.
- Buffs for many of the less frequently used Perks and Skills.
- Wizard's 'Light' spell now removes the 'Hide' status. Does not remove the 'invisibility' status.
- Increased the duration of an installed campfire but the recovery effects per tick has been reduced. You will need to sit at a campfire for a longer period compared to the last playtest for the same recovery effects.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yes, still very early in development but the demo is this recent beta test. You can download and start playing now and apparently it will be available for about a week. They are taking part in this weeks Steam festival, whatever it is, and released theirs early to test it before the fest begins.

So yea, you can play now. Beta test #4 is open.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea this is a big one since they added the 1st floor this time, which is the floor intended for solo players. It's currently got 180k viewers, which has honestly gone down a bit from the 250k it had earlier. Some big streamers are still playing it too, like Lirik and Sodapoppin.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The good thing is, even if right now the solo mode isn't working great, the devs are really, really fast at fixing stuff. They have a really solid dev team and are known for fixing things mid playtest.

Until then, hit & run tactics are still the most solid way of soloing. Strafing works great too. If you haven't tried Wizard solo, it's really good. Rogue can be, when you get the poisons. They are so fast they can attack a few times, stack bleeds and get out of the monsters range. Not big into fighters or barbarians myself, so maybe those are harder.

And if the gold increase is still where it was last playtest, affording bandages and potions should be easier than the #1 and #2 tests. Getting bandges and stuff starting out was so expensive. When you can afford it, don't be afraid to go into a dungeon with like 50g in just healing stuff. And don't forget Rangers start with campfires, that also heal. If you can get out with them intact, you can use them on any character. It might just take longer due to those characters skills.

I'll put a breakdown of what attributes do in the OP sometime soon.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea they definitely did make it harder. Rogues especially have a rough starting out but it gets way better. And I play Rogue/Cleric basically. But i'm just getting onto play and all the changes are good.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What class did you try? Some are way easier solo until you get the hang of things. Try Cleric. Go with the perks that reduce all damage by 3 to start, that's a good one and will help. Then go with Judgment, which is like a short range magic nuke that also slows. Then for spells pick lesser heal/cleanse/bind/protection/divine strike. That'll make you tanky, let you cleanse poisons from the goblins and whatever else, give you like 75 points of healing and give you plenty of buffs to help with fighting the mobs until you get use to how combat works.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I knew they'd adjust that dungeon during the playtest, but that was faster then even I expected. Ironmace is a studio that's really on the ball and thankfully for them, it's working out with all the hype the game has.

I added PartialOctopus Discord info to the 2nd post and I'd also recommend playing with others sometime. I really only like solo queuing when I need to farm up some treasure, but it's also kind of fun going 1v3 with a Rogue/Wizard and outplaying a group of 2-3.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A 3 person portal spawns for the final team, or at least within the last couple minutes, but portals spawn along the way you should consider taking if someone is full up on loot. Oftentimes, when I play with a group, we'll load up someone with the best treasure and have them get out. Then that person can buy us gear to bring into the next run. You can also go down a portal and fight your way through that area, which often is empty, so whatever portals spawn are yours and yours alone.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Experimenting with rogue after cleric has only proven that I am utterly helpless without Heal and Protection as a crutch to fall back on. What’s a useful quick n’ dirty starting setup?

For Rogues? All the DoT stuff to start. You just poke an enemy a few times (monster or player) and then back out, letting your DoT work. With rogues, you are so fast, you can evade a lot of attacks just by backing up and strafing. And get a rapier as soon as you can. That weapon slaps and is a game changer for rogue. The range on it is longer, so you can strafe and stay out of attack range even more.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, good thing to point out. Definitely break all those vases and boxes, they can give you loot. Especially starting out, before you reach a chest or 2. Break those pots and boxes, start getting things like potions and bandages to help your run.

General tip for looting, and really playing, is to take your time and gradually just progress towards the inner circle. No need to rush, skirt the outer rim of the circle and try to maximize loot. Just focus on getting in and getting out. Its infinitely better to get out with 100g then to maybe get out with 200g. Take the guaranteed money opposed to the risk of potentially more money. If you find a lockpick, keep in mind that every class can use it, not just rogues. It's just easier for rogues. So you might as well use it if you come upon a chest to use it on. It's a little minigame where you have to get the directional arrow inside of the yellow circle while the circle spins. You'll easily fail the first 4-5 times. It's not easy, so might as well get that practice in.

Also, deathheads solely drop things like throwables, lockpicks, but also trinkets. So, while there are a ton of them, it's sometimes smart to farm that room for trinkets.

And unless something has changed, don't be afraid to hit and break a chest. The loot just falls to the ground when destroyed.

Edit:

Partial Octopus posted:

Just give the item to your friend. Then have them hand it to your other character.

Or, sell it on the trading market and buy a similar one, if you are friendless. The trading market is a great way to make money. You can sell that 1 juicy piece of loot you got to some hardcore player and fund like, 5-6 runs. I've seen streamers buy just blue weapons for 300+ gold.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 8, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

widespread posted:

Aren't there still mimics in the game? In case you needed another reason to smash chests.

There are, kind of why I mentioned just smashing them too. Mimics are the absolute worst. And if you think a mimic is dead, it might not be, keep swinging until you see the tongue pop out. I've seen plenty of people think they kill a chest, go to loot it and get bitten again.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What map are you playing on? On the 1st map, I've only seen 2 escape portals spawn. They are always within the circle. On the 2nd map, i've seen up to 9 portals spawn. Several 1-person and then a final 3-person. Again, all within the circle.

I mention circle because you need to note where the circle is when the portals spawn. But they circle can shrink and that portal that spawned may now be outside of the circle. So, if you are really hurting for portals, peek outside the circle and see if you see one. The circle won't kill you instantly, you can generally make it.

I had another portal tip, but got distracted, so when I remember it i'll edit this post.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That's such a diabolical kill I have to try it. Lure some fucks to a portal thats open and let them die to traps? gently caress yea.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Not sure the game's for me. I like some ideas behind it but the RNG nature of my starting position seems to be a huge factor if I survive more than two minutes. Sometimes I start near a hallway with a few enemies or I start next to a cave with all the enemies. I still don't get the combat - it's hard to learn the rhythm of it in a real environment and wish I could use a training area to get the idea of my weapon's range, the enemy's range, ect.

I'll stick with it, since it's a week thing and maybe it'll click and maybe the release will have pure pve stuff for me to play in and have the pvp there if I wanna go sweaty. Not judging too harshly since it's an alpha but boy does it just throw you in the deep end and some in the community are real shitbirds.

It's not for everyone, for sure. It's also very early in development (but not too much will change). You might find one of the upcoming classes fits your playstyle a bit more and you should give it a retry then for sure. If you imagine a typical D&D class, this game is going to add it eventually. Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, even Artificer, are all on the books for implementation.

The great thing is, dying, while frustrating, isn't costing you anything. And the queue times are so fast you can get in relatively quickly.

Jiro posted:

If you have a weapon you really like but are low level with no armor stick it in the stash.

And when you start getting a bank, check the merchants regularly for the gear you do like. I'm a big fan of Rapiers, so I buy all of the decent ones I find and just hoard them, so I always have at least one on deck. Also, I think you can restart the client to refresh their inventory, but that may have been fixed from earlier betas.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Played this last night. It's kicking rad, even though I'm really bad and died a lot. Out of about 25 runs with 2 friends, one friend got out twice, I got out once. Cleric feels fine and good and cool.

The monsters feel like hp sponges, and the game (or me?) tricks you into thinking this is a dungeon crawler with chance of PvP, when in fact, spending too much time killing monsters expends too many resources to be super successful in PvP, ime.

I watched some folks get multiple bodies into a red portal, which was cool to watch. I'm wondering if blue portals can support multiple bodies, but we are all just bad at it.

The friend who tried wizard just ended up killing us as it was hard to aim spells and not hit your friends in PvE. Seems like it would be v. powerful in PvP.

A little frustrating, but it's alpha and I had a great time.

It's a little of both. You can start out and get right into a fight, or not see anyone, ever, but what usually happens for me is I find almost no one until the end and we have a final fight to see who wins. This goes for like every extraction shooter, but sometimes it's better to let them do the work for you and you just kill them in the end. But that's often easier said than done.

What do you mean about portals and bodies? Each portal is for 1 person, but there are these triple portal spawns that let you get your team through. They appear in the shape of a triangle, with one portal facing each direction. Little tip for getting your crew out: when you find portals, pop them, just don't use them. You can get portals ready for your crew so they can just run into them and get out when needed. Maybe they continue to loot, fight, whatever, but they have a portal to escape through if things get sketchy. Just be aware there are rats and they sneak up and take a portal you popped if you let them.

Wizard is a nasty class. One of the most damaging, but it does take a little getting used to, especially with aiming. But when you get to higher levels and get the gear to support them, they can single handily take out a whole squad.

Jimbot posted:

When do portals tend to show up? I was under the impression that it's one of those games where you can do a little bit of treasure hunting then leave, like Hunt: Showdown but I guess that's not the case? But yeah, "Play this a ton of times, dying super fast then maybe things will start getting better" isn't really comforting.

Also, since I'm still going to play for a bit how do you deal with skeleton champions? How do you deal with other players where the back and forth that works against the AI doesn't work with them?

Depends on the map, but on the 1st map, they start spawning at something like 2:30-3:00 minutes left. On the 2nd map, something like 7:00-8:00 minutes in, with the red portals appearing first. At the very end on the 2nd map, a 3-person escape portal will spawn, letting you get your whole squad out.

It's a little different than Hunt, in that you are all going after a limited amount of portals to get out, and because of the monster density, not fighting isn't the easiest thing to pull off. But, it can kind of be done if you prepare with things like invisibility potions or spells. I like to avoid combat when i'm playing my rogue, loot, hide to drop aggro and try to just get to the portals. Or, alternatively, I go right after a squad and pester the poo poo out of them. I love hit and run tactics of just getting some DoTs on them and fleeing, letting them gradually bleed out and use up their resources.

With skeleton champions, they are obviously tough and you can't really take them head on. Let them get some attacks out, then get in for a hit or two and get out. It takes a little getting used too, but eventually you'll get a feel for your weapon range, how your character moves, how they do, etc.

You can also use the environment and other monsters to help. Monsters won't attack each other, but they can hit each other when swinging at you. Traps on the floor will do damage to them as well. Fire, all that can help. If you find an oil lantern, you can throw it at something and it'll explode. BTW, if you didn't know this, you can throw torches too. If the area is dark, you can equip a torch, toss it on the ground and go back to using your weapon. Then you can pick it back up if you want.

Valentin posted:

for people who are having trouble with monsters, I found a couple runs bumbling through the goblin caves as rogue helped with that immensely. you have far more movespeed than anyone else but very short range, which naturally leads to circle strafing and baiting and the realization that npc enemies are entirely predictable and controllable.

Wait till you get a rapier with the rogue. It has great range and a nice attack pattern. It's completely a game changer for Rogue.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There is also a whole other set of leveling that has yet to be added. You can see parts of it, but it's still under development. I'm guessing it's gonna be some kind of talent system, where you can slightly tweak certain things, rather than commit to just 4 perks, 2 abilities and certain spells. I think it'll be like "choose 5% more damage with maces or 5% more damage with axes" and "choose +3 to armor or +3 to magic defense". But I have no clue and I can't remember if the devs have talked about it yet or not.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone know how many players are on each map now? Did they reduce it or increase it?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Looks like they did a hotfix earlier (nothing major, mostly just fixes and a nerf to haste) and they extended the playtest to at least the 16th. So 3 more days to play.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm all for changing up tactics and trying to roll with the punches. But with the way the game works right now I have no idea if someone has high damage reduction when I'm hitting them until after they've killed me and see how little damage I actually did.

It's basically impossible for me to tell exactly how geared an enemy player is since the rarity of their gear isn't reflected visually. Is that felling axe a crappy grey one or a one-shotting orange one. I won't know until they hit me with it. If I could tell how good their stuff was then maybe I could plan to avoid them or change my tactics away from an upfront confrontation. But in general playing a barbarian usually just means to run in and hit them before they hit you since that's all you're built for.

I'm not saying that's not fun, it just would also be nice if outcomes of fights could be decided a bit more mechanically rather than 2 sets of numbers smashing each other with the higher one coming out on top usually.

One little tip that might help is to try and inspect as many people in the lobby as you can. Sometimes you can't get to everyone, but if you have time, run up to them and inspect them. Doesn't help if they find stuff in raid too. But maybe it'll help a little.

I'm with that some better visuals for gear would be nice though. Sometimes the game is just 2 numbers smashing, but maybe that'll change when more and more classes are added. Curious what the game will be like when the game has 10+ classes and not just the 6 basic ones now. I'm excited to see what Druid and Bard add to the game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Someone collected and posted a bunch of unique items. Some of these are nutty and what end-game is likely gonna look like.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkAndDarker/comments/111zn2x/i_heard_we_were_sharing_named_uniques_we_have/

Some of the bows are nutty. One that pushes back and one that turns your bow into a laser. A sword, I think a rapier, that does additional damage and slows for 10 secs.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

A few things I'd like to see, based on my play so far:

The ability to ping items/players to communicate with teammates without having to use a mic.

An increased emphasis on "diving deeper" - would love if the areas (esp. the goblin caves) were initially quite a bit easier, but split across like 4 floors or something, and each floor gives plenty of ways to get down to the next one (but only a couple exits on each floor), so you're constantly weighing how far you want to push your luck... or missing your extraction and having to dive deeper and risk dying in order to get out.

More/more interesting NPC boss fights.

I honestly think the mechanics of cleric spells could use a rework, I'm playing a cleric and it's just not... the feel isn't quite right, I think? Don't know what it needs, but... something.

Would also love some way to adjust the angles of your swing by like pulling the mouse as you hold it. Not sure if that would have all that much impact, just seems like it would feel good. Would at least be nice if you have one of those weapons that's nearly impossible to swing without hitting the wall to have a bit more control, even if you end up still hitting the wall it would feel more like "your fault"

Yea I agree with all of this. I think the emphasis on diving deeper will eventually be a thing. I know they want like 5 floors and I wouldn't be surprised if there is eventually some kind of zero-to-hero mode/achievement/leaderboard. Start at the bottom and make it to the end type of thing. Not only pinging gear but making it just easier to loot and manage would be nice. I don't think they are planning on adding directional weapon attacks and instead making each weapon have a slightly different mode of swinging, which I don't mind. We already have several different kinds of swords and each one has a different attack pattern. Dual wielding just adds to that. With daggers for example, you've got that one off hand version that adds a slash attack which goes right over the shield block.

And the cleric magic system is one of my biggest gripes with the game. Just make maces have the ability to cast spells. Having to switch to a staff or whatever just to cast a spell is dumb. Clerics aren't really meant to be a mid-combat casting class I guess, apart from a little bit of healing. Makes me wonder what the Paladin will be like when they add it.

ChaseSP posted:

Anyone playing as rogue is either a complete wuss or murderous rear end in a top hat there are only two people that play the class w on demand invisibility.

And it just got a slight buff. It lasts 60 seconds now, compared to the previous 50. The perks where you can start moving slightly with it are awesome.

Rogues are in that weird spot where they can either get completely demolished by a couple hits or take out an entire squad by using the right tactics. Hit and run is still so good, where you can just hit a few times, activate some bleeds and run, because you out run basically everyone. A smart cleric will judgement you, a wizard slow, rangers can hit you while you run and lay traps for you to come back, but if you get them in the middle of a fight, you can demolish them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So far, no new Discord, so I can't update the 2nd post. If anyone wants to create a 2nd, more permanent one, just post and i'll update.

But tonight is the last night of the cycle, assuming no last minute extensions (which i've NEVER seen them do). If anyone wants to play, post your names, burn your poo poo, it disappears in about 12hrs.

in fact, if you want to play with me, i'd be down to play, gear or no gear. Just wanna see where this beta cycle ended up before the next one begins.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
PartialOctopus: https://discord.gg/jq8X52ZQ

Can you update this server based on this:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's not a new discord that's needed, server owner just needs to click 'invite people' 'edit invite' and set it to

And maybe add some mods and stuff? It's super early, since this beta cycle is about to end. But best to start thinking about it.

poo poo, I even gotta update the OP a bunch before next wave.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
At this point, it being the last day, I just want people to be able to find each other to burn the poo poo they saved up before it's all gone.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow, they apparently had over 2 million players this playtest. That's loving insane consider a playtest in October was like, 1,000 players. Things just keep escalating.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, I think the extraction system needs a tweaking, maybe not simply solved by "more portals". Originally, portals spawned like crazy and you had the opposite problem, of not finding other players because they extracted extremely quick.

I'm not quite sure how they solve it, but they gotta find a good middle ground that allows people to escape consistently, but not allow a quick escape. Looting just a few things and dipping out without a conflict would become very common with how ratty a game like this can be. Portals are a good idea and safer than doing something like set extracts, as other extraction games do, because if you have consistent extracts you'll wind up with not only campers, but some of those extracts being outside the safe area.

They should probably try something like a found in raid craftable extract, something like you spawning the portal if you collect enough of a few certain resources. Maybe it involves killing some kind of monster like the lich, the skeleton knight, maybe even one of the bosses, or maybe it just involves getting like 10 of a resource that every monster drops. Maybe you do 10 of the resources is a single player portal, a boss drops a 3 person portal.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, that's a good idea too. Make sure portals spawn within X distance of a player, any player.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If the next playtest doesn't include at least 2 new classes i'll be incredibly surprised. They've been talking about them for awhile. Some are definitely gonna be reserved for release (I wouldn't even be surprised if some of them become purchasable) though.

I'm just mentioning that because it's hard to talk about balancing classes with some major new additions coming. I think this game is a bit of rock, paper, scissors, as are a lot of games these days, so talking about balancing some classes needs to be done, but it's also hard to see where those classes fit in a lineup of 10+ classes.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't play really at all this test, did 3-person portals get removed entirely or do they still spawn at the end of the match? For the later maps, not the single player one obviously.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Have seen anyone talk about it yet, but next playtest is gonna be between March/April, Early Access late April/May (PAID Early Access, but likely cheap) and release in Q4 2023.

https://imgur.com/a/Sied4Q6

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This always comes up between playtests, people counting down the days between when they can't and then can play again. Sorry, unfortunately nothing exists right now that compares. Expedition to Agartha is maybe the closest and it has like, 3-10 player at any given time. There are a lot of games that kind of skirt the edges of similariaty, like Mortal Online 2, Bannerlord, Gloria Victis, but they aren't what Dark and Darker is.

Get those games out of the way you were thinking of playing because you might spend a ton of time on this game during the next playtest which will likely be very close to early access.

It's also gonna be a spicy time for games this summer, with games like Starfield, Diablo 4, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and many more coming out.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The game is going to be $30-$40 when it goes retail, if no one has seen that yet. Most of the info is released from the devs via their Discord, so if you aren't there, I would check it out. The link is in the OP (which I still need to work on now that I think about it).

The early access cost will likely only be $5-$10 though. Probably a pre-order system or something.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A search warrant for Ironmace has been approved.
https://n.news.naver.com/article/001/0013799020?sid=105

Reporter Kim Joo-hwan and Kwon Jun-woo = The police have launched a compulsory investigation into the domestic game maker 'Iron Mace', which is suspected of developing the game 'Dark and Darker' by taking Nexon's unreleased projects without permission.

According to the game industry on the 8th, the Gyeonggi Southern Provincial Police Agency security investigation team seized and searched the Iron Mace office in Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si the morning before and secured development-related materials. Based on the data obtained from the search and seizure the previous day, the police are known to investigate whether Mr. A and others used the data leaked from Nexon for 'Dark and Darker'.

In 2021, Nexon filed a complaint with the police against Iron Mace official A for violating the Unfair Competition Prevention and Trade Secret Protection Act (Unfair Competition Prevention Act). Nexon claims that Mr.

A leaked the data of the unreleased project 'Project P3' , which he was in charge of while working at the new development headquarters, to the outside without permission, and made 'Dark and Darker' based on this.

The Gyeonggi Southern Office, which investigated the case, forwarded the case to the Seongnam Branch of the Suwon District Prosecutor’s Office in August last year, and after reviewing it, the prosecution requested a supplementary investigation from the police and sent the case back to the Gyeonggi Southern Office in December of last year.

Project P3 is a medieval fantasy-style dungeon exploration game that Nexon introduced as its next work at an online presentation in August 2021.

According to Nexon, Mr. A, who was fired for disciplinary action, founded Iron Mace in October, about two months later. The CEO of the company was Mr. Park, who left the company after developing Project P3 with Mr. A.

Iron Mace released the 'Dark and Darker' playtest version for free on the global PC game platform 'Steam' in August of last year, and despite it being incomplete, it was popular, such as exceeding 100,000 concurrent users worldwide in this year's playtest . attracted jujuk @ yna.co.kr

When the leak controversy arose, Iron Mace denied the allegation through the official Discord channel, saying, "The stolen assets (data used for game production) or codes were not used at all to make the game."

Iron Mace will conduct the 5th test of 'Dark and Darker' next month, and then release the game as Early Access (Early Access).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You can try Expedition to Agartha, which is going free-to-play next week I think. Only issue is that it rarely has players. It was released basically the weekend of the first DaD playtest and had a solid number of players, like 500-1000. But then everyone got tuned into DaD and the Agartha playerbase tanked to like, 3-10 monthly players. I'm hoping the f2p version of it gets some people to look at it again, because its a decent game made by decent devs. A group of like 3-4 dudes made a simply melee looter game with different weapon and armor types.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone playing Expedition to Agartha during the Dark and Darker wait? Let me know if so. It's Free to Play and they made some pretty hefty improvements over the past few months. It's not bad. Not as good as DaD, but its fun still. Might be fun to do some groups. Hit me up on Discord if you wanna do groups: Headshock#7342

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Killed one of the more prominent DaD streamers in Project Agartha, in arena so no chance of stream sniping. He rage quit and threw a bit of a fit afterwards.

https://youtu.be/inVHqgjoyqE

I recognized that voice immediately. SoBadStrange isn't normally like that and some of his opinions aren't invalid. I mean that dual wielding axe spam seems annoying as poo poo.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Leaving a bad review after an encounter like that is pretty lovely. It's like the next tier of a rage quit.

But I'm holding strong at "that dual wield axe spam seems annoying as poo poo".

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Dark and Darker is no longer available on Steam.

Gotta hope it's something temporary, maybe a switch of some sort. But you can no longer find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Maybe. I don't have the demo downloaded anymore. If anyone still has it, can they get to the store page from there? I can't find anything related to it on Steam.

Even just going to the archived Dark and Darker page from Google, on Steam, sends you right to the main Steam front.

Edit: I see what you are saying now. I don't think it's anything, really. Just with the whole Nexus thing going on, hope everything is alright.