Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
Is there any way to actually extract as a team? Is it just to hope you find 3 portals together and can activate/exit them at the same time?

My friends and I loaded up on full inventories, fought off multiple parties, and got to the final circle only to find two exits and I was the odd man out. Seems kind of lovely to do everything right and still lose like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
My friends and I played this pretty regularly throughout the play test and had a lot of fun. Lots to like and the extract-shooter-turned-dungeon-crawler is a fun take on the genre. We had nights that went very well and nights that went poorly, but had a good time either way.

The biggest nitpicky consensus we came to that would prevent us from buying it is how they implement the circle and swarm mechanic combined with the escape portals. It was endlessly frustrating to cleave through other parties, resurrect buddies, get solid loot, but then not find enough portals at the end. I get that it's intentional, but it isn't fun and really sours a good run when you have to draw straws to see who stays behind.

Most every other extraction game I've tried has a satisfying exit that can be challenging while still feeling like we have always have a chance. CoD's DMZ mode feels good because it's tense, other players can and will interfere, but I know that I will have a guaranteed chance to get out at the end. If I gently caress it up, that's on me.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
Another idea my group bandied about was having the portals be good for three people, but they take awhile to appear once summoned and also creating a lot of noise and visual effects that can draw the attention of other players. Maybe even letting other players see that portal on their mini map. Hell, maybe even spawn a couple enemies along with it.

It could make each extraction be a fight and definitely more tense as you know other players can see it. Anything to prevent having your party turn into an "every man for themselves" portal race at the end.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
Do the people saying that the portal system is fine as is just never play with friends? Like only solo or maybe with random people?

Cause it's definitely not fun to have a successful run end with essentially a rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to extract when you only find one or two portals left. I'd say roughly half of the matches where all three people in my group made it to the portal phase ended with at least one person having to get left behind, dumping their inventory on the ground for the others to take. And it was a bummer each time.