Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I don't know what it is about this game but the design is way less sweaty than other pvp games in this genre.
the game's melee system very importantly doesn't have built-in feints, easy parries or blocks, or whiff attack into bullshit animation cancels that plague games like mordhau

even if your opponent does some crazy hitbox matrix poo poo, their attack is still readable and you know they're swinging and that if they miss you have a window to go hit them and everyone at all levels of play can recognize it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

rangers have already managed to deal with limited ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LgCZBk7tU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

other classes did have limited ammo. throwables are pretty important for rogue/barbarian

the previous playtests i saw almost no one using their class's ranged options. people will eventually catch on that you should be buying the 10g crossbow or w/e from the merchant at the very least.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i blame capitalism personally

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even some of the good players in those games hate that the game looks like a ballerina dance

the most egregious design decision in mordhau and chivalry is letting players cancel the recovery of their whiffed attacks. nevermind that it heavily punishes players for not knowing this silly mechanic exists or makes the game look stupidly spammy. this mechanic devalues the fundamentals of footwork, spacing, and timing.

in the fighting game genre, the developers design their games so that players can punish whiffed attacks for a good reason!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

good vid but he neglects to mention or analyze damage breakpoints

getting even just 1% more damage reduction can be huge if it tips you into taking 1 more swing to kill, especially if it's a situation where being 1-shot becomes being 2-shot

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

there's probably a really good achievable EHP (including a 4 gold prot pot in the EHP) you can target per class that tips you over a lot of commonly achievable damage breakpoints

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if a buffed barb is common, there's like a certain specific damage range to the head like 99% of them with whatever gear rarity you're seeing are going to have.

the gear decisions based on that breakpoint + buffs is then going to be important! do you go for speed or is stacking those rando plate armors you found even going to do anything vs the barb

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i can see why that game is not as popular as dark and darker

it takes a billion hits to kill and blocks look very generous

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Akumos posted:

That's a shame, the game was good. Thankfully the game itself/formula is incredibly simple to remake, proven by the fact they made it in like a year with market assets. Someone else will just come in(probably many) and make the same or very similar games. There is already a mod on mordhau that is basically Dark & Darker but without the out of game stash/vendor aspect. Hopefully some actual AAA dev comes in and makes it and makes it a polished game that doesn't have such a gimmicky trade and inventory system. I get why people liked it but after one playtest I wanted to shoot myself trying to buy simple items. The fun for me was the PvP, not the market or inventory being super hardcore and limited. I would be totally fine with this game in a more casual format with the same formula.
copycats will suck because theyll completely miss the point and mindlessly copy mordhau/chivalry like that dumb Agartha game

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kchama posted:

I hate Nexon, but I definitely wouldn't support a company that did bullshit even if it was against Nexon.
ip is wealthy people creating absurd enclosures around...ideas

Kchama posted:

According to some Korean rumblings I've seen, there was a scandal about Ironmace that turned a lot of the Korea community against them, in that it was discovered they actually are subordinate to a Nexon rival and aren't at poor and scrappy as they claim. I'll look for confirmation.
literally anyone involved in the game industry or financing it would count as a nexon "rival"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i just want to dark
:negative:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if employees from microsoft quit to make their own operating system or w/e, it shouldn't be considered wrong even if microsoft can stop them by getting the courts to agree with the wealthier party

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the wealthy should not have such a powerful claim to what is in peoples' heads to prevent them from recreating software completely from scratch

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

nothing from Kchama suggests they didn't just recreate the code and assets from scratch, so that is what is happening.

why should employees be obligated to keep working for a company they don't want to work for and are upset at? what is wrong about employees taking their labor elsewhere and working on similar software? this reeks of noncompete clause silliness

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

an employee was so upset that the project he was working on was cancelled by the company that he took revenge by banding together with other employees and formed their own competing company. how horrible. how vile.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also this idea that nexon was forced to cancel the project because people quit is just some abloobloo nonsense. if nexon wanted to keep working on the project, they'd just shuffle people around or hire people to work on it if they were convinced it was a great investment lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

theres probably a billion clones being worked on right now so maybe someone can recreate the magic

i just wanted to point out even taking the snippets Kchama is posting at face value as what happened, it makes you roll your eyes. half the dev team quit so you had to cancel the project that you really genuinely wanted to work on? lol you still have half the dev team left and can backfill positions with the same budget. there's no severance they loving quit or were fired.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also the unfolding narrative kchama posted is internally inconsistent. it says that the project was wiped in a malicious way that was not recoverable so they could no longer work on the project, but then they said they received a copy of the treacherous private server. which is it?

how was the server recovered? did an internal affairs agent herocially wrest a hammer away from the ironmace devil right before he was going to destroy the only copy they knew existed? or did ironmace just say yeah there was a server you permitted and knew about from the previous project you cancelled and here's the code from it for the current project cya.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i appreciate relaying korean shitposts on the internet

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if they still have the assets and code and design documents, you...hire employees to continue the project

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even if hypothetically you don't have the design documents b/c the ironmace employees were total assholes, it really doesn't matter if you had a compilable game and the source for the decision to continue the project. as far as i understand game design, once you have a working prototype with any semblance of fun you should just throw the original design documents in the trash where they belong. halo was originally envisioned as...an rts game.

if nexon had the code and still decided not to continue the project, then they really were not invested in the idea it's as simple as that. yes corporate bureaucracies can make hiring or backfilling stupidly inflexible but that's not ironmace's problem.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's equivalent to saying your employees designing your next suv can't be poached to build a competitor's suv or you'll sue them under bullshit noncompete clauses.

medieval tarkov isn't exactly an outlandish idea that deserves monopoly rights and there's been a bunch of tarkov-likes made already. and tarkov's closed beta is 6 years old now.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ironmace did nothing wrong

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with employees banding together and quitting an employer to form their own company even if losing employees fucks over that company

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that's not true at all.

if nexon was invested in the project, they could divert labor or resources to backfill the project, assuming the assets were not maliciously destroyed in the departure.

i understand the way corporate bureaucracies can be designed to make this impossible, but it's perhaps this very corporate inflexibility and environment that caused the project to not be able to continue which caused the employees to revolt in the first place!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

we also don't know the specific politics on the previously cancelled project. perhaps they felt they had a banger, were overruled on working on it, and so they basically worked a huge amount of time on something and were told all the time they spent on it was wasted.

it's reasonable to speculate the employees were fed up on being managed from nexon and were terrified they could face another cancellation.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

most important tip in pve melee for those struggling:

hit the mob, then evade the swings by turning 90 degrees and strafing away which is a lot faster than holding back.

i feel like i got a lot more loot in the goblin caves than last playtest

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

some people suggested putting -dx11 in your exe launch parameters as a performance fix

have not tested or verified

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'm interested in how much a previous project being cancelled was a motivation for founding ironmace

it's probably pretty hard to convince 20 gainfully employed people to jump ship and mutiny onto a brand new company. either the new company had awesome perks or nexon was devilish.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

well if there's a contradiction in these allegations, someone must be lying

afaik both parties agree there was a cancelled previous project at the small nexon subsidiary, and i suspect that played into founding ironmace

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

@everyone, Alpha #5 Playtest Hotfix - 2

Sorry for making you play the game in an uncomfortable state for a long time.
We will start Hotfix #2 from April 17, 2023 2:50 PM to fix some known issues and improve the game.
This patch is expected to take about an hour and a half to complete.
The servers will be down during this time.
For the patch download instructions, please refer to the 📢community-announcements channel.

# Changes
- Fixed several issues regarding dungeon access and rollbacks.
- Fixed an issue where Locust Swarm could deal unintended amounts of damage.
- Fixed an issue where Locust Swarm's extinction animation was unnatural.
- Fixed an issue where the checkbox would not activate even though all items were checked when trading.
- Fixed an issue where new chats were not visible after activating filters on trades.
- Fixed an issue causing monsters to recognize players late.
- Fixed an issue where the Deathskull would not respond to the Bard's playing.
- Fixed an issue where the Bard's could be hit in the effect area while channeling.
- Fixed an issue preventing the Hoard from working properly.
- The Ruins area is slightly brighter.
- Rest fills a small amount of spells again.
- Arrows and bolts can now stack up to 15.
- Cleric Lesser Heal's spell tier has been adjusted from 2 to 3.
- Cleric Locust Swarm spell tier adjusted from 7 to 8 and count adjusted to 1.
- Cleric Locust Swarm damage changed to 2 per second. This will be fine tuned in the future.
- Cleric Earthquake's spell tier has been adjusted from 7 to 8.
- Cleric Resurrection's spell tier has been adjusted from 8 to 7.
- Wizard Meditation channeling time reduced from 30 seconds to 24 seconds, and cooldown reduced from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
- Rangers start with 30 arrows as an initial supply.
- Ghost King's health decreased slightly.
- Lich's health increased slightly.

Thank you for playing Dark and Darker despite many difficulties.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reminder to be deeply skeptical of any claims made by any party.

members of large corporations are not above brazenly lying and smearing in public or through rumor mills. even the claim that they really wanted to make p3 a reality should be viewed with suspicion.

remember the absurd fiasco mick gordon went through with an id exec publicly smearing him.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

In my opinion IM approached this and executed in the worst ways possible. I mean the loading screen art was lifted from P3. Then later slightly altered so they can claim it isn’t the same. The tavern was cloned from P3, which is why they changed it in the latest playtest but it’s not like they will convince anyone in court. If you stole art and didn’t bother to change it, then chances are they stole code too. Which is all very sad, because I loving love this game, but they did not go about this the right way.
is the "lifted" loading screen art like from that article herstory linked?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

$841,944 – The amount of money Nexon invested into P3 Project over the course of 11 months, according to the suit.

That would work out to a salary of just over $40,000 each for 21 people over the entire 11 months, but we can assume not everyone would have working on it for the whole stretch.

Still, I would have assumed Nexon's legal team would add in the costs of employee benefit packages, computer hardware, software licenses, and all the rest of the overhead to make that lost investment (and eventual award for damages) as impressive as possible.

If this is the best they can come up with and it includes Park and Choi's salaries as senior employees for the entire term, Nexon's generosity when it comes to compensation is unlikely to justify a non-compete clause in my eyes, at least.

(I'll also note that the money Nexon spent on P3 is less than 1% of the $100 million it threw into bitcoin in mid-2021, so let's not pretend a company with that kind of financial acumen was going to put it to better use.)
lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

In one particularly damning email, Eric Schmidt of Google tells Steve Jobs that a recruiter who contacted an Apple employee had violated the agreement and would be terminated "within the hour."

Jobs responded with a smiley face.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission 🙏

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it would a comedic situation if they need the income from an early access release to fund legal fees against criminal charges

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Yeah. Therein lies the problem. When I have time to buff up and waddle into a fight I have a decent chance of winning. But cleric is slow, so all they need to do is run away and stay out of range until my buffs wear off, which isn’t hard.
if you save your buffs for pvp you can buff like 4-5x which is pretty long. you can jump while buffing to help maintain speed for chasing or distance

if you need to buy time again for rebuffing you can just go back to a door and close it. you don't have to throw on every buff before opening the door if they're timid and throw on the rest of the buffs when you rechase.

your only ranged snaring options are probably throwing a drum. i dont know if their aoe ranged nuke snares but i've used it to finish people off running away and the tooltip says it blinds them for 2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the game is slow-paced and methodical which i think is a big selling point