Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Just a reminder, my list was not well thought out, it was based on that preference ranker that I kind of rushed through. I disagree with some of my own placements.

garthoneeye posted:

He’s a horrible person, but honestly he played a pretty strong game IMO.

He is a horrible person, but he was the first person to effectuate the strategy of taking a goat to slaughter to the end.

Khanstant posted:

I have a vague memory of liking Jenna but 0 details about her season. Why is she at the bottom of so many lists so far?

A lot of the cast viewed her as a petty mean girl. A lot of fans wished Rob C had won, he arguably played the best game of the season, but he was relying on taking goat Matthew to the end, but lost the final immunity challenge, and Jenna ended up taking Matthew. The jury all thought Matthew was creepy, so even though they didn't like Jenna, they voted for her instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Khanstant posted:

I have a vague memory of liking Jenna but 0 details about her season. Why is she at the bottom of so many lists so far?

I also like Jenna, and give her credit for surviving the premerge/early merge but there's just not a lot to her endgame. She wins 4 immunities but the first two are pretty random (coconut chop and shuffle board), and she gets some flack for having to be talked out of quitting the game. In the end she kind of inherits the win Rob C set up when he falls off a box (which don't get me wrong, is very funny), but pretty much anyone but Butch would have beaten Matthew at that point. It's less anything she did wrong, and more that there's not a lot for her to point to on how she got to the end over other players.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks, I don't even know if I really agree with my own list, but it's def better than reddit's list.

Is it.

Defining a preferred winning game is a weird exercise though. Is it favorite games? Is it who I think played the best game? Is it statistically the best game (JT, Cochran)?

With the poll it's a lot of reddit preference and popularity. Like, if it's best games, then Tommy should probably be near the top. Erika played an extremely good game, but was super invisible for the edit, and also apparently had a lot of fake drama tossed in (Erika wasn't the target for the attempted Luvu throw. While she was dependent on the Hourglass, it was because she wasn't involved in the challenge that exiled her for 2 days lmao). So, she should also be higher than the bottom 10.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jenna also responsible for one of the funniest matches in pro wrestling history.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Watching Australian Outback and one of the challenge rewards is Doritos and Mountain Dew lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What do they call them in their language?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Probably something stupid like ritoos and dewee.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Having also taken that whole test, it's really exhausting to have to make as many choices as one must in order to stack rank 44 items.

30% of the way through I wanted to take a nap

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mp5 posted:

Having also taken that whole test, it's really exhausting to have to make as many choices as one must in order to stack rank 44 items.

30% of the way through I wanted to take a nap

Yup, I was definitely inconsistent with my judging. It probably took me like 15 minutes to get through it?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was unhappy with how my rankings turned out.

It's tough because I want to adjust some tremendous games down for having total dummy casts. And then there's the eternal difficulty of ranking returning player seasons with winners rooted in unbreakable off-island alliances. And like 5 different women who got lovely edits.

In general I'd like tiers:
Total Dominance (Kim)
Pretty loving Impressive (Richard, Tony 2)
Solid Game Control (Wendell, Sarah)
Solid Control Using A Magic Idol (Yul, Tony 1)
Scrappers Who Pulled Out The Win (Natalie A, Denise, Adam)
Good Players Who Beat A Cartoon Villain (Sophie, Natalie W, Sandra 2)
Edit Makes It Impossible to Rate (Michele, Erika)
Mixed Returnee/Newbie Seasons (Tyson, Cochran)
Immunity Runs (Mike)
Calvinball Champions (Chris, Ben)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony in WaW is my favorite because it's probably the most satisfied I've ever felt about a winner, both in a game sense and in a "I'm really rooting for this player who is my favorite of the season" sense. And lemme tell you the latter ends in heartbreak somewhere between 5 and 8 almost every season (this year they made me wait until FTC though, bastards)

Everyone else is second place because if you're not first you're last (and more importantly I don't want to think about it long enough to actually rank them)

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Tony in WaW is my favorite because it's probably the most satisfied I've ever felt about a winner, both in a game sense and in a "I'm really rooting for this player who is my favorite of the season" sense. And lemme tell you the latter ends in heartbreak somewhere between 5 and 8 almost every season (this year they made me wait until FTC though, bastards)

Everyone else is second place because if you're not first you're last (and more importantly I don't want to think about it long enough to actually rank them)

Tony was pretty far down my root-list for that season, but his win is unimpeachable. A+ from start to finish.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My remaining memories of Tony are all pretty negative so it's like hearing folks gush over Coach or something lol

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

He's too cop for me to say anything positive 😔

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Aerox posted:

I'm completely and purely speculating but I suspect that they all have a LOT of resentment about the fact that their season is easily considered the worst of all time and they're all basically ostracized from Survivor.

When examining that, I think it's a lot easier for them to say "Kellee really blew things out of proportion it wasn't that bad" instead of "Wow, my reprehensible behavior on-island is a major part of why this happened."
But people like Jamal and Janet supported Kellee in the moment! And they were completely backed by the airing of the show. So idk why they would be backing Dan at all in this.

Khanstant posted:

Reddit list is whack lmao tony, blegh. and very Reddit of them to have the bottom half contain most of the women.

I tried doing the comparator thing but it didn't feel fair since I couldn't really remember them or their season enough off the top to make a sensible ranking. But your list is immediately better at first glance. kinda wanna watch some of those first seasons again but if you give a mouse a cookie...
It's also kind of a weird result because the posters on reddit all love Erika and Michele etc. but then those people in the vote fell way to the bottom.

It's weird seeing Kim so far from #1. She should be somewhere close to the top. I'd bump down Mike a lot, Nick a little, Chris a lot, Yam Yam down a little, move Sarah up pretty much, just to name a few.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Tony's Cagayan win is overrated imo -- his most impressive feat was convincing Woo's dumb rear end to "fight honorably" or some poo poo and bring him to Final instead of Kass. For the rest of the game he mostly just got hella lucky finding idols, including the bullshit post-vote one that effectively made him invincible
Woo only had that chance because it was weirdly a F2 though...

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Lol more players should just make up new powers for idols.

“The idol I found an idol that only nullifies 2 votes!”

“Votes nullified by this idol instead get reflected back to the caster”

Nobody is gonna outdumb Jeff and with all the gimmicks what are you gonna do, disbelieve?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

It's weird seeing Kim so far from #1. She should be somewhere close to the top.

This take is wild to me not because I necessarily think it's wrong but because we clearly have different definitions of "so far from" and "close to the top" lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nexous posted:

Lol more players should just make up new powers for idols.

“The idol I found an idol that only nullifies 2 votes!”

“Votes nullified by this idol instead get reflected back to the caster”

Nobody is gonna outdumb Jeff and with all the gimmicks what are you gonna do, disbelieve?

Really good idea honestly. How many times were people reacting to idols that weren't there or were fake this season? Go wild with the fakes!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

until they ask to see the paperwork :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd drop Nick to bottom tier just because of his politics.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd drop Nick to bottom tier just because of his politics.

Agreed. He's awful.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Game sucked too imo, he was just in the final with two players from the We Can’t Win Because Of The Season Theme tribe. Should have been Mike, but there’s ~6 other players I’d have been okay with winning

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

His game was solid, he introduced the minority vote split to the game, got on good with Davey, made a crosstribe bond with Mike White, won immunities at the right moment. It was a lot of fun to watch at the time.

That said, while I don't see what Mike White did that was better, Mike himself has said he didn't really know if he felt right about taking the win and some jurors have confirmed they were hoping to vote for Mike but he didn't really seem to want it that badly so they didn't. People have credited Mike with building stories about different players to make sure they got targeted, ie Alison was "Wonder Woman" etc.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 8, 2023

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Angelina should have won.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Australian Survivor has had a few very fun seasons with really good characters and arcs. But I haven't seen an Australian survivor thread so is it cool to gush about Australia?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Affi posted:

Australian Survivor has had a few very fun seasons with really good characters and arcs. But I haven't seen an Australian survivor thread so is it cool to gush about Australia?

I've made one, but not many people post in it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973906

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Australian Survivor rules

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

101 posted:

Survivor rules

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Affi posted:

I've tried to watch it, there were indeed some good characters, but I found the extra long seasons and multiple non-elimination episodes to be too grueling to watch.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I've been catching up with Australian survivor since I ran out of US seasons, and where I might binge a season of US survivor over a couple days, Australia I tend to watch over a few weeks, like an episode a day while I eat lunch or whatever.

I'm most of the way through BvB (George rocks) and while I've been spoiled on the Blood vs Water winner, I've somehow managed to avoid ruining Heroes vs Villains, despite youtube's best attempts.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Season 10 (Heroes vs Villains) is maybe the most fun I've had watching a season of Survivor. Lags in a few places but it's just incredible stuff.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

graventy posted:

Season 10 (Heroes vs Villains) is maybe the most fun I've had watching a season of Survivor. Lags in a few places but it's just incredible stuff.

It's a GOAT Survivor season.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nihonniboku posted:

I've tried to watch it, there were indeed some good characters, but I found the extra long seasons and multiple non-elimination episodes to be too grueling to watch.

The extra long seasons are better. Gives you time to actually form attachments to people and similarly gives the episodes time to breathe with more camp life stuff

The non-elimination episodes are a little annoying, I'll give you that

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Maybe it’s the bias of watching it live and how new it is but I can see an argument for Au Heroes V Villains being better US Heroes V Villains. This is something I never thought I’d be saying when the cast was first released for Au.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

101 posted:

The extra long seasons are better. Gives you time to actually form attachments to people and similarly gives the episodes time to breathe with more camp life stuff

The non-elimination episodes are a little annoying, I'll give you that

*american attention span voice*

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So finally caught up with this season and I’m glad Yam Yam won. I didn’t like Carolyn as much as everyone else seemed to. I kinda agree they need to start ditching superfans and change up the challenges. All these people that have grown up with survivor and it basically incentivizes nobody to stand out. Win too many challenges? Buh bye. In decent shape? Buh bye. Walk off with another person to talk? Buh bye. Someone thinks you even sniffed at an immunity idol? Buh bye. Scheme even a slight bit? Buh bye. So we always end up with a final three that barely do anything unless they find like 5 loving idols in a row like that one goof.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 10, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

So finally caught up with this season and I’m glad Yam Yam won. I didn’t like Carolyn as much as everyone else seemed to. I kinda agree they need to start ditching superfans and change up the challenges. All these people that have grown up with survivor and it basically incentivizes nobody to stand out. Win too many challenges? Buh bye. In decent shape? Buh bye. Walk off with another person to talk? Buh bye. Someone thinks you even sniffed at an immunity idol? Buh bye. Scheme even a slight bit? Buh bye. So we always end up with a final three that barely do anything unless they find like 5 loving idols in a row like that one goof.

Carolyn was by far the most entertaining person of the new era, regardless of whether you liked her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor 45 bios are up!

I'm seeing two or three people I already like, which is always a good sign.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bruce's second shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who in your life is your biggest inspiration and why? Aside from my parents, maybe Naruto.