Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pet Peeves: Adult men who have Snapchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Which previous player do you identify with the most? Who do you think you will play most like? I've been told my personality is extremely similar to Kass. I take that as the complement [sic] that it is.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Bruce had a lot of time to hang out with the Pre-jury boots of 44, I bet he uses some of that and goes pretty deep

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Pony: Jake, has just about every classic Survivor success predictor going for him. Poison: Everyone who thinks they'll play like Tony or Parvati (or Sandra but nobody mentioned her this time). Double poison for Dee, who also used four words to describe herself and the brief asked for three.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pony: Brandon. Seems very self aware and under the radar.

Poison: Emily.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Got to pony up Bruce.

And poison Drew Basile. gently caress anyone who self describes themselves as smart and witty. Also identifies with Penner. What a piece of poo poo.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Oh cool this was sooner than normal! I'll whip up an OP this weekend so we can have a fancy new home for s45.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Got to pony up Bruce.

And poison Drew Basile. gently caress anyone who self describes themselves as smart and witty. Also identifies with Penner. What a piece of poo poo.

Wait, what's wrong with Penner?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Pony: Kaleb. It's been a while since someone came in explicitly to play the heel, hopefully he makes a deep run and ruins some peoples' games.

Poison: Lot of nerds to choose from, but I'm going Brando based on this: https://robhasawebsite.com/survivor45-cast-reveal/
Apparently he's a zany 'prankster' and sounds obnoxious as poo poo.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nothing, Penner rules. However a dude who thinks he's going to be the new Penner could be pretty cringe.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

People that say they are going to play like Penner/Cochran/Mike White - "I think I'm smarter than I really am."

People that say they are going to play like Parvati - "I think I'm way more likable that I really am."

People that say they are going to play like Tony - "I am an rear end in a top hat."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Penner's got big flaws in his game every time he played so the only thing going for someone who says they're gonna play as him is maybe 'I'm a really good narrator'.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Leatherhead posted:

Pony: Kaleb. It's been a while since someone came in explicitly to play the heel, hopefully he makes a deep run and ruins some peoples' games.

Nevermind, I heard him talk and he's way too much. Switching to Austin.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ok maybe you survivorheads can help me out. Everyone on these shows keeps saying what kind of a big brained plan they have but most of the time it seems random. Usually what ends up happening is someone lays low for a bit and tries to not get noticed until the top 10ish and then they try to deflect everyone else’s ire onto someone who is a “threat” and hopefully not pissing everyone else off and coming up with a good story to tell at the finale. I see some strategy to alliances but beyond that it seems like they’re all psyching themselves into believing they have a master plan. What kind of real strategies actually work?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What you're describing is a consequence of the shortened game combined with the seasons being bland and samey, on top of the nature of the show always being "we only see 0.1% of the actual time the contestants spend there". The editors have certain story beats they try to hit in every season and they're just doing that to try and keep people invested.

The "real" strategies that work in general are being highly likeable and not pissing people off. If you make people mad, you'll get to the finals and get 0 votes, like Russell H.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Invalid Validation posted:

Ok maybe you survivorheads can help me out. Everyone on these shows keeps saying what kind of a big brained plan they have but most of the time it seems random. Usually what ends up happening is someone lays low for a bit and tries to not get noticed until the top 10ish and then they try to deflect everyone else’s ire onto someone who is a “threat” and hopefully not pissing everyone else off and coming up with a good story to tell at the finale. I see some strategy to alliances but beyond that it seems like they’re all psyching themselves into believing they have a master plan. What kind of real strategies actually work?

The strategy has been a lot more chaotic the last few seasons. We are getting 90 minutes (realistically probably an extra 20 minutes) for every episode this season, so we might see a little more of the strategy and gameplay.

Australian Survivor has had a little more concrete strategy and gameplay as there is less alliance switching every week. Even this past season with George running chaos on everything, there was clear core alliances throughout.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pony: Kendra, soul survivor
Poison: Emily (no, being compared to Kass is not a loving compliment)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mp5 posted:

Bruce had a lot of time to hang out with the Pre-jury boots of 44, I bet he uses some of that and goes pretty deep
How does he use that?

Invalid Validation posted:

I don't think you're wrong. If the whole cast is "game aware" a lot of times from f8-ish on it just becomes a threat rankdown where you go in order voting out the "threats" and the strategy is basically to be in the majority at merge and not the biggest face on your side, and then standing as like the 4th or 5th biggest player at f9 and contributing to the ouster of the "big threat" on the way to the end will do the trick.

Like others I blame these threat-based realignments that seem to appear out of nowhere one after the other without regard to preexisting relationships or alliances on the shortened game (relationships are less deep and players more likely to remember these are people they literally just met), on top of the aforementioned factor of everyone these days "getting it" and knowing who they can't sit next to at the end. Production has just made this problem worse by pushing us from a F2 in the bygone days to F5 as the last vote now, meaning people have to start the threat purges and end the alliance jockeying even earlier in the game schedule.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 12, 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

He probably got a more candid account of camp life and goings on that might give him an insight in how to ingratiate himself with his tribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
RIP to season 44 you were good and Carolyn is our hero.

MOVING ON

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042338