Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

Lol wtf. I kind of feel like maybe Matthew played his SitD just to avoid voting against Brandon in case he played his idol but still that’s one of the weirder votes I’ve seen. Jamie playing hers just because she’s paranoid and then saying her vote didn’t matter may have sparked Brandon. I’m maybe slightly surprised he was voting Maddie instead of Lauren after Matthew raised the alert on Lauren.

Brandon could still have the idol and a tight ally but he was too all-for-one about stuff!

To his credit, if he did feel sketchy about his position in the tribe (maybe because of his bum arm), and depending on the voting order, he may have secured a 3% better odds of drawing the shot in the dark. Which, if you're scared and are unsure where the vote is going, may be the best time to roll the dice (into a jar then draw a parchment from a bag).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bruce came so close to hurting himself on the first crawl through the mud that I said to my wife "he's gonna bust his head diving like that"

and then 10 seconds later he did indeed bust his head

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

that was one of the most amazingly stupid tribal councils i’ve ever seen

good ep

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
what an interesting episode.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

That first tribal council was needlessly extra i love it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SweetJahasus posted:

Highlight of the episode, the editors adding the sword unsheathed sound drop when Jeff pulled out the sword.

That ruled lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

If they know Bruce is totally fine even before the challenge they should bring him back. Australian Survivor taught me that’s fine. You can even miss a TC over there and come back!

Bad beat for Maddie who could’ve had a tight ally but found the adv with someone too conservative

It was kind of odd the first season Australian Survivor introduced it. But the 24-hour out of the game medical evaluation is a nice rule and I truly have no idea why US Survivor hasn't introduced it. Bruce really wanted to play the game, but because of a poorly designed challenge obstacle, he gets removed right away and probably very low on the list of players to invite back.

Also crazy to get an idol and 2 shots in the dark played at the first tribal.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yeah bruce caught a real bad break but concussions are tricky and aren't something that you can get a total clearing from in 24 hours. He could be fine 48 hours later then on hour 72 back to vomiting and suffering from vertigo. You can't take risks with those types of injuries

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea sure if it was a concussion, you'd have to pull him from the game and not let him come back. But I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other things that caused him to not feel well in the evening and if he's totally fine after a night of observation then he should be able to go back into the game. And it goes beyond just the 1 person here. the 24 hour rule on Australian Survivor is a really good rule and should be adopted into US Survivor, even with the 30 day season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That was wild.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea sure if it was a concussion, you'd have to pull him from the game and not let him come back. But I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other things that caused him to not feel well in the evening and if he's totally fine after a night of observation then he should be able to go back into the game. And it goes beyond just the 1 person here. the 24 hour rule on Australian Survivor is a really good rule and should be adopted into US Survivor, even with the 30 day season.

Yeah I mean one player who I won't spoil basically got a concussion in like episode 1 or 2 of the current Aussie season, and was out for 24 hours then came back and has made some S-tier moves in the game, so it's possible.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I wasn't high on this cast before the season but phew, I'm invested now. That was fantastically messy. Maddy seemed like a good player based on her reading Brandon and convincing the tribe. It's too bad Brandon couldn't trust her for *checks notes* handling the idol the same way he wanted to.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SweetJahasus posted:

Yeah I mean one player who I won't spoil basically got a concussion in like episode 1 or 2 of the current Aussie season, and was out for 24 hours then came back and has made some S-tier moves in the game, so it's possible.

Yea, but it's not the 1st season they had a player leave the game for 24 hours. There's an interview with Nina on the process (although she didn't come back in the BvW season). And Georgia from Brain Vs Brawn left the game for 24 hours in the middle of the season before getting cleared to come back... Although her story is probably the argument against it since she had a serious medical condition (ectopic pregnancy) that the doctors missed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SweetJahasus posted:

Highlight of the episode, the editors adding the sword unsheathed sound drop when Jeff pulled out the sword.

Agreed and I hope they keep doing it. Also Brandon simultaniously the dumbest guy for not figuring out the most obvious hidden idol in history was in the cage and smartest guy for not being precious about playing it. Does really make me hopeful that we end up with some truly stunningly stupid antics with that fake idol later though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not mad at Brandon for going for Maddie. He put her in a position of trust and confidence, and even if it wasn't shown I'm sure it got back to him that she was gleefully pushing his name. Even if I was concerned about an advantage lie, I would probably also go for the person who was demonstrably never going to work with me.

Heck, it would have been smart of Lauren to throw Maddie under the bus to him like that considering she wasn't voting that night. Just loling at the first person out getting one vote.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I feel like casting does such a good job now that I'd really like to see a season of "what-ifs," people that were interesting enough to get put on the show but went out super early for whatever reason. Maddie would be a great example, she tried to make a bond with a guy who pulled away, she recognized that and successfully built a majority on him but got idoled out.

Otoh man I am ready for the "new era" to move on in some new directions. Not that they don't come up with some new things like the bird cage idol, but just... the idea of having small tribes where your vote would be very valuable, and then having the option to risk that vote was a very interesting one in theory. But I've seen enough of it and I'm ready to move on. Now they don't even get the option of not gambling their votes, ir's just a mandatory reach into a bag! I think we hit the pinnacle of this idea with Chanelle blowing her vote on the Strunk elimination. That was great. We don't need to keep trying to force that to happen. Last night's vote was some madcap entertainment, sure, but a 2-1 vote in a 6 person tribe? Like, what the hell even is this? I feel like I'm just over extra votes, lost votes, all that stuff. Just give me whatever Australian Survivor is doing, some idols and big tribes with swaps, or at least mix it up a bit.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 2, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm not mad at Brandon for going for Maddie. He put her in a position of trust and confidence, and even if it wasn't shown I'm sure it got back to him that she was gleefully pushing his name. Even if I was concerned about an advantage lie, I would probably also go for the person who was demonstrably never going to work with me.

Heck, it would have been smart of Lauren to throw Maddie under the bus to him like that considering she wasn't voting that night. Just loling at the first person out getting one vote.
He specifically didn't put her in a position of trust, right? She extended that branch to him and said do we need to tell the rest of the tribe about this? And he was just like Yup, HEY GUYS!!! and blew his cover on getting the idol. I mean, he was certainly right to vote her because she noticed that rejection and was trying to get him voted out, and like you say he probably knew that. Unless he did it just because he found her suspect for correctly wanting to not tell all the tribe about the key.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It was kind of odd the first season Australian Survivor introduced it. But the 24-hour out of the game medical evaluation is a nice rule and I truly have no idea why US Survivor hasn't introduced it. Bruce really wanted to play the game, but because of a poorly designed challenge obstacle, he gets removed right away and probably very low on the list of players to invite back.

On "On Fire, with Jeff Probst", the official Survivor podcast, Jeff Probst says that Bruce has been invited to play Survivor again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that's a good shout, someone goes out early because something dumb happened just tell them they'll be invited back next season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Apparently the showmance is between Frannie and Matt

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

that was strange. climbing those rocks was just...what?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

does anyone know when these episodes will appear on standard Hulu (for those without the Hulu live package)? I know Paramount + is the go to streaming service for CBS stuff but I'm not going to shell out for yet another subscription, and I'm currently too poor to afford Hulu live. Maybe there's another smart solution to this problem that I haven't considered yet, but in addition to being poor, I am also stupid.

I watch episodes next day for free with ads on the CBS app. Today I got two Applebee's commercials in a row, it was thrilling

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Exit press just came out and he said that he didn't really start feeling better til 3 days afterwards. So he was probably stable, but not really able to function in Survivor since he would do things like sit down on the toilet and not be able to get back up.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CODChimera posted:

that was strange. climbing those rocks was just...what?

Not the dumbest thing he did this episode though!

EDIT: also idk why they decided to go with a high fantasy medieval theme this season but I guess if you're gonna be in Fiji forever you're gonna run out of local inspiration eventually. Should've gone all out and named the tribes after Norse gods or w/e

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol this guy who thinks having glasses and not being strong means he will make up for it in intelligence, like this is an RPG and you only get so many stat points to spread around

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Only a genius can 3D print Survivor puzzles.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Propaganda Machine posted:

Only a genius can 3D print Survivor puzzles.

Hey, he counted to 9, with a partner, okay?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ahahaha i look away for a few minutes for work and look back and everyone is blowing their wads with trinkets and dark shots edit: another one!!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

nexous posted:

Idk about Hulu but if you have a (free) Plex account and a friend you can watch them an hour after airing.

If you need a friend pm me

oopsie rock posted:

I watch episodes next day for free with ads on the CBS app. Today I got two Applebee's commercials in a row, it was thrilling

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Giving the Plex thing a try, but if that fails for whatever reason then it's nice to have the alternative :)

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Holy poo poo I don't think I want anyone from orange tribe on my team. Lol at the first successful shot-in-the-dark being a completely meaningless whiff.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya they talked about her wanting to play it pre-tribal but they really glossed over how paranoid she must have been. That will probably be a problem going forward, the paranoid people tend to be so annoying they get themselves bounced quick.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

Holy poo poo I don't think I want anyone from orange tribe on my team. Lol at the first successful shot-in-the-dark being a completely meaningless whiff.

maddies response to her crying was amusing. kinda sad we lost maddie so soon

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Finally watched this

I also just finished rewatching S3 Africa this last week with my girlfriend, there's a tonal shift for you

What the hell is this show now

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

mp5 posted:

Finally watched this

I also just finished rewatching S3 Africa this last week with my girlfriend, there's a tonal shift for you

What the hell is this show now

better, but bad in new ways! :D

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Maddie acted way too quickly especially given the state of things. Maybe she wasn't aware of Lauren lying to them but she seemed aware of the other lady being paranoid and considering playing the thingie. Sorry. I'm bad with names. She also knew Brandon had an idol and that there was a clear movement to get someone else out. And she at least knew there was some potential "lose your vote" situation in play. So it just feels like too risky a play this early if she didn't think she was in mortal danger. Too many ways to go bad.

I also think like every person who had an advantage misplayed it. Sure, lie. But don't tell a lie that can quickly be exposed by a vote or conversation with someone else. You tell lies when you control the information and it makes sense. I think that's the big flaw of the modern game. Everyone is too quick to lie and too quick to try and make a big move. The best players know when to do it and when to tell the truth.

It seems conceivable Matt tipped Brandon off about what was happening, played his Shot in the Dark (that's what's it called, that's right) to cover up, and they basically knew they were gonna idol her out with 1 vote. I'm curious to see how that all comes out in the wash.

Sucks about Bruce but I really don't agree with the idea that he should have been allowed back. Its not that I'm against letting someone back in. I think I'm fine with that. But with a probably concussion that is affecting him hours later after he already seemed fine? It doesn't seem like you can responsibly give him a clean bill of health in 24 hours at all, especially not to do this taxing stuff again. I'm glad he's been given the option to return because its a poo poo bit of luck. But I think they made the right call. Hell I'd almost argue it was negligent to let him continue on in the first place in the son and doing labor. But I'm sure they had medics watching him at least.

I was amused by the nerd who got buff for Survivor and didn't seem used to it yet.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

If they know Bruce is totally fine even before the challenge they should bring him back. Australian Survivor taught me that’s fine. You can even miss a TC over there and come back!

Bad beat for Maddie who could’ve had a tight ally but found the adv with someone too conservative

https://parade.com/tv/bruce-perreault-survivor-44-interview#:~:text=fine.%20Everything%27s%20great.-,When,-Jeff%20gave%20an
He had a concussion and was not fine, but wasn't like, actively dying lol.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So there were two new advantages revealed to us at Super Bullshit 64 Island in the first episode. Matt did not pull the third from his bag, but that one is probably also new.
Thought exercise: what was it?
My girlfriend thought of "When you cast your vote, also predict who Person X votes for, and if you are correct you nullify Person X's vote"

Forcing them to pick from the bag at least once and probably lose their votes is dumb as hell but that's this game now I guess

Also the voting booth chessboard 100% has an advantage on it or something right

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I don't like is that they force people to play their dumb advantage game on the island now. You have to either pull an advantage or lose a vote, whereas before you can just play it safe and flip production the bird.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I don't like is that they force people to play their dumb advantage game on the island now. You have to either pull an advantage or lose a vote, whereas before you can just play it safe and flip production the bird.

along with the 3rd-place tribe being forced to do whatever challenge the 2nd-placers don't choose.

In 43 both losing tribes opted for the same Professor-Layton-rear end-Riddle Challenge because they correctly saw that lifting all that heavy poo poo for hours was a waste of time for losers

More and more I'm seeing modern US Survivor be like a Dungeon Master who wants you to play their game a certain railroaded way and take the choices out of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would go strength every time