Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I remember being underwhelmed by it. I was in High School when I watched it, but I guess I was too critical to really enjoy it. People around me were screaming it "changed their life".

I had the same with Napoleon Dynamite. I tried to like it, but it was just an ok film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Asteroid Alert posted:

I had the same with Napoleon Dynamite. I tried to like it, but it was just an ok film.

Nacho Libre is the superior Jared Hess movie anyway

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ElectricSheep posted:

Nacho Libre is the superior Jared Hess movie anyway

Nacho Libre is a super cute movie and doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
A woman crawls through pre-made holes in the walls and a man has his eye throwing-knifed out with corn.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Donathan Darko got me to put that Mad World song on a mix cd and feel super deep and misunderstood riding the bus to Highschool

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Poohs Packin posted:

Oddly enough Charles Bukowski is also one of those things you find profound and meaningful in your late teens early 20s before growing the gently caress up and realizing listening to the miserable whisky fueled yawps of a bloated misogynist loser really ain't it.

i feel called out

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Donnie Darko was better after I read a full breakdown of the timeline/time travel shenanigans that explained everything in the very simple terms that my feeble mind requires. That upgraded it from weird stoner movie to "oh I get it now, neat I guess."

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

TK8325 posted:

i feel called out

It's okay that fellow just can't appreciate good art from a bad person. Like that Chinatown movie, what a pos eh?

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

i really liked barfly with mickey rourke

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I enjoy/enjoyed it. It's good music mixed in with some interesting scenes and dialogue. You can like a movie without any pretense of it being deep.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That Donnie Darko DVD has been repeating for a week and we know every single word.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven’t seen a sparkle motion reference in years, leading me to the belief that society has finally healed from its donnie darko trauma

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its a lot better than Boondock Saints. That movie is beyond awful.

The director's cut of Donnie Darko is a lot better. I think its a pretty good movie.

Yeah that movie is terrible. The doc about it is hilarious tho.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
OG boondock saints was entertaining as hell when I was 14

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's good but not great. It's cool if it makes you feel poo poo though. I thought maggie was so hot back then but now I'm all about Jake

Same. Especially when he’s creepy as poo poo like in Nightcrawler

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's fine. It's got too much unique poo poo to be a wash, and it clearly touched enough people that it accessed something in the zeitgeist. I don't think it holds up to modest scrutiny, but it's also not like a dumpster fire unless you happen to be near rich white teenagers bleating about it circa 02-05. Richard Kelly and his team were really "feeling something" and wanted to convey it, and that's respectable.

I also respect it for kickstarting Jilly Gyll's career of "I'm going to do what Jared Leto always tries to do, but successfully" wherein he weaponizes his cologne model good looks to ask the audience how much they'll take of an awful weirdo character.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Biohazard posted:

Same. Especially when he’s creepy as poo poo like in Nightcrawler

You're thinking of X2: X-Men United

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I liked Jake G in Enemy quite a bit too.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
It's a good movie and it's great for Ocotober/Halloween season. It just has that feel

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's very brave to have a high budget movie with one of the leading characters being a furry, things have really changed since the Shining

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Was Primer actually a good movie?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It sure got me to listen to a lot of music my mom and dad thought was great in their twenties (because it was)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
What's that guys name? The Sam's Club version of Keanu Reeves. He was in Doom Generation.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Nah, the director’s cut ruins what is a nice ambiguous psychological thriller and turns it into a bad sci-fi film by over explaining everything with pages of the time travel book and added unnecessary scenes. I saw it once and hated it.

I also disliked the rearrangement of songs when they were perfectly placed to begin with. The Killing Moon opener 4 lyfe.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Das Boo posted:

Nacho Libre is a super cute movie and doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
A woman crawls through pre-made holes in the walls

what

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

PoopiE Farto

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
it was an interesting and incoherent movie and a cool obscure movie to stumble upon but its not actually worth obsessing over and we should all just get over it

if you wanna relieve the experience watch a jean rollins movie or something idk

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I had a girlfriend that liked it and all I remember is that Swayze was a pedophile but woke up and actually wasn’t?

I’ll watch it again and report back

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet

Sourdough Sam posted:

Go suck a gently caress, op.
the movie never properly explained exactly how one sucks a gently caress. Therefore... the movie is garbage.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
no

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

N. Senada posted:

I had a girlfriend that liked it and all I remember is that Swayze was a pedophile but woke up and actually wasn’t?

I’ll watch it again and report back
He's still a pedophile, he just is no longer exposed as one. The last scene with him, if I remember right, shows him like, distraught/guilty looking.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Asteroid Alert posted:

I remember being underwhelmed by it. I was in High School when I watched it, but I guess I was too critical to really enjoy it. People around me were screaming it "changed their life".

I watched these two films repeatedly when I was in my late teens and early twenties when my friends would come over. I wanted to revisit them so I ruined a movie night with friends who hadn't seen either by watching them back to back. I think the films are still great, but I don't think my friends appreciated them as much.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Butterfly Effect

garbage on release

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

donnie cunto

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Padical posted:

I watched these two films repeatedly when I was in my late teens and early twenties when my friends would come over. I wanted to revisit them so I ruined a movie night with friends who hadn't seen either by watching them back to back. I think the films are still great, but I don't think my friends appreciated them as much.

Oof that is a rough movie night

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Same question, Fellowship of the Ring

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Caesar Saladin posted:

The director's cut of Donnie Darko is a lot better.

no

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Southland Tales was better

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Fellowship of the Ring

Absolute trash, just unforgivable garbage. Thankfully the director improved upon it with Hobbit a few years later

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Absolute trash, just unforgivable garbage. Thankfully the director improved upon it with Hobbit a few years later

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Donnie DORKo!!!