Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

yeah it's a great movie
and not because it's "omg so deep" or whatever. it's just a great movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One great thing about Donnie Darko was the website. It was filled with weird clues and artwork, and that part was ok, but the thing that creeped me out was what was at the end. At least I think it was the end

It was creepy as poo poo, and that's how you do a tie-in website. This part's not up on youtube, but it was a recorded conversation between I think the FBI and the FAA. The whole time, there was this creepy drone playing in the background.

FBI guy: so, we're looking into the jet engine that fell on the house.
FAA guy: Alright, and?
FBI: well, here's where it gets weird; we got the serial number and we checked the FAA's records.
FAA:.....
FBI: It doesn't look like this engine ever existed. There's no record of it, where it was manufactured, or even what flight it would have fallen from. Can you offer any insight to this? Any explanation?
FAA:.......
FBI: Hello? Excuse me, are you there? Can you....
FAA: *click* (and the line goes dead).
FBI: Hello??

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Butterfly Effect

The Butterfly Effect was a lot funnier, but I don't think that was intentional.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The original ending of the Butterfly Effect makes it a much better film. It becomes an inverted It's A Wonderful Life.

quote:

With his brain terribly damaged and aware that he is committed to a psychiatric facility where he will lose access to his time travel ability, Evan makes a desperate attempt to change the timeline by watching a family video, which shows his mother just before she was about to give birth to Evan. Evan travels back to that moment and strangles himself in the womb with his umbilical cord so as to prevent the multi-generational curse from continuing, consistent with an added scene where a psychic palm reader tells Evan "you have no lifeline" and that he does "not belong to this world".

Kayleigh is then seen as a child in the new timeline having chosen to live with her mother instead of her father, and a montage suggests that the lives of the other childhood characters have become loving and less tragic.

Shockingly, test audiences hated it. Tragedy of the commons.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One great thing about Donnie Darko was the website. It was filled with weird clues and artwork, and that part was ok, but the thing that creeped me out was what was at the end. At least I think it was the end

It was creepy as poo poo, and that's how you do a tie-in website. This part's not up on youtube, but it was a recorded conversation between I think the FBI and the FAA. The whole time, there was this creepy drone playing in the background.

FBI guy: so, we're looking into the jet engine that fell on the house.
FAA guy: Alright, and?
FBI: well, here's where it gets weird; we got the serial number and we checked the FAA's records.
FAA:.....
FBI: It doesn't look like this engine ever existed. There's no record of it, where it was manufactured, or even what flight it would have fallen from. Can you offer any insight to this? Any explanation?
FAA:.......
FBI: Hello? Excuse me, are you there? Can you....
FAA: *click* (and the line goes dead).
FBI: Hello??

The FAA just didn’t wanna get in trouble for poor record keeping

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jake G was a real cutie pie in Donnie Darko and he's only aged like a fine wine since then. So I vote yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

The FAA just didn’t wanna get in trouble for poor record keeping

Well, maybe but it was all put together far creepier than that. I think at one point, the fbi guy implies or outright states that the engine shouldn't exist. My write up was very much paraphrasing it all.

Edit: here's a complete description of the whole jet engine serial number subplot, AND a transcript of the call. I missed a ton of stuff, but I haven't read/heard it in like 15 years.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 9, 2023

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Fellowship of the Ring

Jake Gyllenhaal auditioned for Frodo and utterly blew it because nobody told him the part required a British accent.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Elijah Wood looks more like whatever a "hobbit" is and no I don't remember what little I read of The Hobbit in middle school because I thought it was boring

For the best really

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Elijah Lumber

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dick Jones posted:

Jake Gyllenhaal auditioned for Frodo and utterly blew it because nobody told him the part required a British accent.

And then Disney came up to him and asked, “Hey, wanna audition for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time?” And Jake was all like (in a British accent), “DO I?!?!???

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Same question, Blade

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He say you Blade Runner

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

He say you Blade Runner

:sushiyes:

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I watched it in 2007 and was nonplussed with how hyped up it was, I thought it was merely okay. Maybe it’s better than I thought but I wouldn’t call it a deep or smart movie by any means, I think people thought it was this really cerebral thing and I didn’t understand it. It was like six years of listening to people dream themselves and being like sure, I’ll check it out sometime, and so that was disappointing.

The Gary Jules cover of Mad World is inferior to the original.

Apparently they changed the font on the poster because of 9/11?? An Arabic-seeming typeface was more than the american public could handle (it’s still in the opening credits of the movie though)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EEKA GEEK posted:

I watched it in 2007 and was nonplussed with how hyped up it was, I thought it was merely okay. Maybe it’s better than I thought but I wouldn’t call it a deep or smart movie by any means, I think people thought it was this really cerebral thing and I didn’t understand it. It was like six years of listening to people dream themselves and being like sure, I’ll check it out sometime, and so that was disappointing.

Apparently they changed the font on the poster because of 9/11?? An Arabic-seeming typeface was more than the american public could handle (it’s still in the opening credits of the movie though)

Most unintelligent people can't appreciate the film Donnie Darko

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Most unintelligent people can't appreciate the film Donnie Darko

:haibrower:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you don't love Donnie Darko, you probably fear the movie and/or it's perceived message. It's pretty simple.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite from that era was a sincere effortpost talking about the symbolism of "metal" and "water" during some poo poo in the middle and I remember asking "what did those elements symbolize?" and they were like "no you don't get it it's a symbol."

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Blade

Blade kicks rear end. Just a bunch of karate, and vampires, and people exploding. Perfect movie.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Extra Large Marge posted:

Blade kicks rear end. Just a bunch of karate, and vampires, and people exploding. Perfect movie.

Iirc it begins with a blood rave and only gets better from there. And Kristofferson? *chefs kiss*

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

satanic splash-back posted:

If you don't love Donnie Darko, you probably fear the movie and/or it's perceived message. It's pretty simple.

There are other things that need to be taken into account here, like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I remember when Donnie Darko came out didn't they do some website mythology tie in that talked about Darkos through time, like the medieval period or something, like a big ol heap of metal always falls on a Darko no matter what year it is. In the movie it just happened to be an airplane engine.

I think they were biting off Blair Witch

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I actually really love that movie, a lot. I loved it when it came out and I was in middle school, then bought into the bullshit about it being bad or pretentious in high school/college. Its one of those things where it turned out middle school me was right.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

I remember when Donnie Darko came out didn't they do some website mythology tie in that talked about Darkos through time, like the medieval period or something, like a big ol heap of metal always falls on a Darko no matter what year it is. In the movie it just happened to be an airplane engine.

I think they were biting off Blair Witch

Yeah there was a whole high production quality website that like explained every tiny thing lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It was one of the first movies I ever watched with commentary on. I don't remember any of the commentary but I do remember I ordered a pizza that day

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sir Donald of Darko, galloping across a field in full armor, has a 500lb metal cauldron fall out of the sky and crash into his skull, killing him instantly

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think there were ways to get to it until they killed Flash

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

You Are A Elf posted:

Nah, the director’s cut ruins what is a nice ambiguous psychological thriller and turns it into a bad sci-fi film by over explaining everything with pages of the time travel book and added unnecessary scenes. I saw it once and hated it.

I also disliked the rearrangement of songs when they were perfectly placed to begin with. The Killing Moon opener 4 lyfe.
The director really wanted to make it a scifi film and kill any mystery, and I heard he finally got his chance when making The Box as an pointlessly-complicated scifi film that over-explains everything.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

You Are A Elf posted:

Nah, the director’s cut ruins what is a nice ambiguous psychological thriller and turns it into a bad sci-fi film by over explaining everything with pages of the time travel book and added unnecessary scenes. I saw it once and hated it.

I also disliked the rearrangement of songs when they were perfectly placed to begin with. The Killing Moon opener 4 lyfe.

I know someone who LOVED Donnie Darko, she made us watch it with her multiple times. I didn't mind, it's a good movie I enjoy it but one night we saw a midnight screening of the director's cut and it killed her love for the movie dead.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
also, Southland Tales isn't what i'd call a good movie but i loved the hell out of it when i saw it. i haven't seen it since so

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
Donnie darko was good. Rented the sequel (who knew) and holy poo poo it was terrible

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
rear end TO rear end!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

EEKA GEEK posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BigSexy posted:

Donnie darko was good. Rented the sequel (who knew) and holy poo poo it was terrible

S Darko is unrelentingly terrible. They only good thing about it is it introduced me to "Heaven or Las Vegas" by the Cocteau Twins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnYw4EwYGc

Speaking of good music in bad movies, while I enjoyed Southland Tales WAY more than S Darko, the best part is clearly this whole scene, thanks to Moby's "Memory Gospel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XY5yLet3es

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
first viewing was ok, second viewing i really enjoyed it, now i watch it every few years because it's just a good flick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lt. Cock posted:

Donathan Darko got me to put that Mad World song on a mix cd and feel super deep and misunderstood riding the bus to Highschool

The tears for fears song is so much better

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The Gary Jules version was perfect for the final montage of the movie but that's it. I don't need to hear it at the goddamn grocery store when I'm trying to choose a barbecue sauce.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I used to have a gf that I could crack up everytime by singing it when there was some obvious ennui scene in a tv show, movie, commercial, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Fellowship of the Ring

The writer/linguist who said "of all the phrases in the English language, of all the endless combinations of words in all of history, that "cellar door" is the most beautiful" was Tolkien. Of course it was Tolkien. It's pretty much elvish. Maybe he liked it because it was like elvish, or maybe he designed his elvish because he liked it, but that's why Cellar door is beautiful.

So, really, those two are the same movie.