Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Pop songs aside, Michael Andrews' score for Donnie Darko ranks up there with Carter Burwell's "A Serious Man" and Angelo Badalamenti's "Mullholland Dr." scores and is a big part of why the movie clicked with audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdsS8e3WdQ0

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Music good.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Cool movie, and that whack website was neat.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Remember the psychic cards guessing game you could play on the Final Destination DVD? That was pretty neat. Or was that Donnie darko? Stir of echoes?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dick Jones posted:

ranks up there with ... Angelo Badalamenti

i don't think so, dick

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Butterfly Effect

I think it somehow was easier to understand, personally, in comparison to Donnie, but I still get them mixed up at times.

How about Mulholland Drive? That's another movie people have been hammering on about all its hidden layers which I don't get.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mulholland Drive is a much much better movie than anything previously mentioned. I mean, David Lynch.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Charles Bukowski posted:

Mulholland Drive is a much much better movie than anything previously mentioned. I mean, David Lynch.

Oh yes, I'm sure. But I still don't get it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Last Broadcast?

I remember being extremely interested in this film in the 90s but never got a chance to see it because it just never hit the rental/theater places around here. Seems like it took nearly 20 years, but over the last few years I've started to see a lot more chatter on the film compared to all the years after it came out.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I'm usually a sucker for le edgy/weird movies and it just didn't resonate with me at all, I felt bored. Nothing against it though, it just wasn't for me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Southland Tales is way better

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Southland Tales is way better

*confused and bewildered blonde guy gif*

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

You think the movie is one way, but it's actually a guilt induced hallucination to deal with the trauma of her revenge. Also hot ladies kiss and a man ejects coffee in the most interesting way I've seen.

Lost Highway is less coherent imo.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Charles Bukowski posted:

You think the movie is one way, but it's actually a guilt induced hallucination to deal with the trauma of her revenge. Also hot ladies kiss and a man ejects coffee in the most interesting way I've seen.

Lost Highway is less coherent imo.

Okay but what about the creepy hobo behind the diner?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I feel like the people who were obsessed with Donnie Darko have moved on from it in much healthier ways than the contrarians who insist it's utter trash and post about that decades later. See also Fight Club, Boondock Saints, etc.

Also lol at the guy who couldn't understand the plot of Pi.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

To whomever asked earlier, Primer was fine, but it makes a better sci-fi thought experiment than an actual movie. Like it's not a bad movie, and kudos to them for making something compelling with virtually no money but it might as well be called "Implied Time Travel Fuckery".

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Okay but what about the creepy hobo behind the diner?

Oh and part of the movie is unrelated vignettes happening to minor characters that won't affect the story. You might not remember the plot but you remember that filthy poop man and that Lynch character actor having his fit over it. There's great dread buildup in that scene and it's just something he probably thought was interesting enough to throw in. Why is Lost Highway two different movies spliced together? Just go with it bud, it's better than way with Mr. Lynch.

See Lucky yet with Harry Dean Stanton? That movie was great, HDS' last flick and its a great love letter to him.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

thin blue whine posted:

I know someone who LOVED Donnie Darko, she made us watch it with her multiple times. I didn't mind, it's a good movie I enjoy it but one night we saw a midnight screening of the director's cut and it killed her love for the movie dead.

:hai:

By “saw it once and hated it,” I meant “bought the director’s cut DVD when it originally came out, placed it in the player and said ‘this is gonna be good!’, only to eject the disc when the movie was over and place it back in the case where I never spoke or thought of it again until it got thrifted shortly thereafter.” A sorely regretful purchase, that’s for sure.

I still enjoy the theatrical version, though :kiddo:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Charles Bukowski posted:

Mulholland Drive Lost Highway is a much much better movie than anything previously mentioned. I mean, David Lynch.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

the thing with Lynch movies is that it isn’t necessarily important to “get” the plot so much as to experience the emotions and themes the movie conveys. It’s the same with Donnie darko, except it wasn’t made that way on purpose, and when you do Get It it’s actually worse lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

:hai:

By “saw it once and hated it,” I meant “bought the director’s cut DVD when it originally came out, placed it in the player and said ‘this is gonna be good!’, only to eject the disc when the movie was over and place it back in the case where I never spoke or thought of it again until it got thrifted shortly thereafter.” A sorely regretful purchase, that’s for sure.

I still enjoy the theatrical version, though :kiddo:

This was my experience too. What a way to ruin a movie.

I feel the same way with the director's cut of Dumb and Dumber. Theatrical? Fantastic comedy, my favourite Jim Carrey movie.

The director's cut? Ruins the pacing and is a lot more mean spirited than it had to be.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Southland Tales is my favorite movie of all time. Not joking.

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021

eSports Chaebol posted:

the thing with Lynch movies is that it isn’t necessarily important to “get” the plot so much as to experience the emotions and themes the movie conveys. It’s the same with Donnie darko, except it wasn’t made that way on purpose, and when you do Get It it’s actually worse lol

This, for sure. Well-acted, well-shot, well-scored movie and fun to watch as a trippy surreal film but all the stuff that's actually supposed to be going on at the internal logic level with the story that's explained on websites and commentary is all pretty garbage. Manipulated dead, manipulated living, water and metal, lol wtf.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The best thing with Lynch movies like Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive is you can sit down and watch it with 10 people, and after it's over, you will have 10 different answers of what they thought actually happened. Sober.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Slugworth posted:

He's still a pedophile, he just is no longer exposed as one. The last scene with him, if I remember right, shows him like, distraught/guilty looking.

I recall the tie-in website had a news article about Swayze's character mysteriously emptying out his house completely and then killing himself, showing that the events of the movie spooked him. There was also an article about Noah Wyle's character dying in a car crash like 10 years after the events of the movie, featuring some terrible Photoshop to age him. I guess the idea was that even though Wyle's character was happily married and loved and all, he still died alone.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
2023 SA, new Donnie Darko thread. I'm lovin it! :D

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Did anyone say no yet?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

eSports Chaebol posted:

Lynch is absolutely adamant about not explaining his movies, or how they were made, etc. He believes this will affect a viewer's perception of any of his movies, as long as there are viewers.

Richard Kelly didn't do that. He did a DVD commentary (where he gets pissed at Gyllenhaal for talking about pizza and threatens to kick him out, I might add) where he explained everything about the movie. I think that had an effect and ruined it, because even after someone watches it, they can look up the explanation online, and that has an effect on any further thought about the film.

I think Lynch is right. Explaining the movie ruins it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Southland Tales is my favorite movie of all time. Not joking.

Ok, serious question, and feel free to effortpost; why?

I feel like I want to like it, and I definitely like elements of it, but overall.... Eh.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Donnie Darko was a pretty alright extra-long Twilight Zone episode with a decent soundtrack.

Anything by Harmony Korine around then was just awful. He was what you'd get if you took a sophomore community college film major who just learned what the word 'subversive' means and lashed them to an LA producer.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

putin is a oval office posted:

Also lol at the guy who couldn't understand the plot of Pi.

I found it confusing how the big tiger could live on the boat with the small boy

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Darren Aronofsky is above reproach and can do no wrong.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, serious question, and feel free to effortpost; why?

I feel like I want to like it, and I definitely like elements of it, but overall.... Eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XY5yLet3es

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I found it confusing how the big tiger could live on the boat with the small boy

You see the story is actually told by the tiger who ate the boy on the first night, then dressed up in a Halloween store "small boy" costume and is the one telling the story.

It's secretly a horror story about how anyone who you talk to may actually be a tiger in disguise about to eat you.

Trust no one!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

See, this is the main reason why *I* want to like it. I love that part.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

How about Mulholland Drive? That's another movie people have been hammering on about all its hidden layers which I don't get.

David Lynch probably agrees with you

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel the same way with the director's cut of Dumb and Dumber. Theatrical? Fantastic comedy, my favourite Jim Carrey movie.

The director's cut? Ruins the pacing and is a lot more mean spirited than it had to be.

:hmmyes:

I’m also gonna say Amadeus is much better in its original form rather than the widely available director’s cut. Unfortunately, most people by now have only seen the DC since the theatrical cut is on an out-of-print double-sided DVD from 1997 and unavailable by any other means. I own both versions, but have only watched the DC twice while I’ve seen the OG several dozen times through the years.

Lots of redundant extra scenes that were already tightly established in the theatrical version. The DC isn’t bad, but it adds 20 unnecessary minutes to an already long movie. A positive about it is the musical performances are in full; that rocks.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
One of my roommates at the time was so vitriolically anti spoiler that he was mad to know that the movie had a protagonist named Donnie Darko

Movie is aight. A little muddled but I always liked the obvious takeaway that by saving the girl, Darko is also causing Suezy's crimes to go undiscovered, at least for longer. Not a happy ending, more of a "loving with timelines is hard" message, similar to Primer, another solid movie.

Rabbit mirror knife sequence is great.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I watched Mulholland Drive a few times while sober and was just puzzled each time it was over, but then I watched it while really high and it sorta clicked, so my advice is to get really high and then watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

One of my roommates at the time was so vitriolically anti spoiler that he was mad to know that the movie had a protagonist named Donnie Darko

Movie is aight. A little muddled but I always liked the obvious takeaway that by saving the girl, Darko is also causing Suezy's crimes to go undiscovered, at least for longer. Not a happy ending, more of a "loving with timelines is hard" message, similar to Primer, another solid movie.

Rabbit mirror knife sequence is great.

Who is suezy and what were her crimes? I'm not watching a full movie and wikipedia's got nothing