Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DID SOMEONE SAY DAVID LYNCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZHfFhMxf-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Extra Large Marge posted:

Blade kicks rear end. Just a bunch of karate, and vampires, and people exploding. Perfect movie.

You just can't believe me
When I show you what you mean to me
You just can't believe me
When I show you what you cannot see

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is suezy and what were her crimes? I'm not watching a full movie and wikipedia's got nothing

a misspelling of patrick swayze's last name, and have you even seen donnie darko

also I think there was a sequel that was heralded as trash basically universally?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

see you and raise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJFUIYpH2A&t=2s

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I really love Wild at Heart.

I love David Lynch, period, and WaH isn't my favorite of his movies, but it holds a real special place in my heart.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

a misspelling of patrick swayze's last name, and have you even seen donnie darko

also I think there was a sequel that was heralded as trash basically universally?

I would never have gotten swayze from suezy because I am not insane

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Oh yes, I'm sure. But I still don't get it.

Not much to get. Here's basically what I remember:

Failed actress from a likely abusive home loses her beautiful actress girlfriend to some hot shot director.

She puts a hit out on her ex and falls asleep, dreaming a dream where her life ended up a fairy tale and the hitman could never finish the job because he's incompetent.

She wakes up, realizes that the hitman finished the job. She kills herself in despair.

The really weird poo poo in the dream is her subconscious trying to make sense of the truth or just weird dream poo poo, so to speak.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Richard Kelly made other films, including the sequel S. Darko.

I have no interest in watching any of them, and I bet you don't either OP.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I would never have gotten swayze from suezy because I am not insane

dunno if i'm insane

i'm a big fan of Suede / The London Suede though

Coming Up fuckin bangs

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Doobie Darko is the IPA of movies. Young adults first experience with a different kind of movie that's geared closer to their generation.

Darko is a good movie but not that good because I don't think the director quite got what made it resonate and I'm not sure it impacted the way he intended.

It's a good blend of stylistic shots, vibe, nostalgia, and palette. The style helps carry the plot for a lot of the movie. It's a whole mood.

The writing isn't bad, in fact it's kinda decent. If you're already into the suspension of disbelief: the story leaves just enough detail out to make you interested to know more (or think there's more). It also plucks bits out of movies, not just music, from the era it took place in to pull the nostalgia strings.

It certainly didn't deserve to be an identity strewn upon every 'cinephiles' dorm room wall. But you can't blame people for having a positive memory of it from a very specific time in their life.

I mean, its core audience was people who were alive in the 80's but didn't quite 'live' it.

It should have stood as it was: other releases that tried to explain the science or whatever just kind of ruined the magic of it.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Wild at Fart :gas:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
depends on your commitment to sparkle motion!

Darko was a fun movie because it had atmosphere.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Was Juno a good movie? Be honest to blog

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shart at Fart

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

my friends told me to watch this when i was 15 and i realized upon watching it that, i was a gifted thinker, and that my friends were very dumb. Then, after buying myself a fedora

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 11, 2023

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

It's like if you go to an arthouse theater and there's a Hot Topic inside

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Private Cumshoe posted:

I dare anyone to watch the entire movie now. I'm not sure even redditors can get through it.

It was definitely a core part of my and a few friends' personalities for a few months in highschool though.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 11, 2023

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Taste is almost entirely arbitrary. Outside of a few incredibly rare examples, whether a movie is 'good' or 'bad' cannot be measured in any quantifiable sense. One man's trash. etc etc.

So the answer is yes, no, maybe, and everything else.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Private Cumshoe posted:

The only thing I remember is Jason Bateman wanting to bang a teen and the dialogue enraging me.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Ebert gave it two and a half stars,

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/donnie-darko-2001

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Private Cumshoe posted:

i hated that movie

Das Boo posted:

The only thing I remember is Jason Bateman wanting to bang a teen and the dialogue enraging me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Insufferably twee” is the best description I can come up with for Juno. I hated it, too.

It tried so hard to be a Dollar General Wes Anderson film, but the best it could muster up was “pork swords” for dialogue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fansy posted:

Richard Kelly made other films, including the sequel S. Darko.

I have no interest in watching any of them, and I bet you don't either OP.

Richard Kelly had nothing directly to do with S Darko.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

putin is a oval office posted:

I feel like the people who were obsessed with Donnie Darko have moved on from it in much healthier ways than the contrarians who insist it's utter trash and post about that decades later. See also Fight Club, Boondock Saints, etc.

Also lol at the guy who couldn't understand the plot of Pi.

lol at suggesting it's contrarianism to think Boondock Saints is an abject pile of poo poo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Oh and part of the movie is unrelated vignettes happening to minor characters that won't affect the story. You might not remember the plot but you remember that filthy poop man and that Lynch character actor having his fit over it. There's great dread buildup in that scene and it's just something he probably thought was interesting enough to throw in. Why is Lost Highway two different movies spliced together? Just go with it bud, it's better than way with Mr. Lynch.

See Lucky yet with Harry Dean Stanton? That movie was great, HDS' last flick and its a great love letter to him.

What I kinda like about Lynch is instead of everything always having to have deep meaning, the guy sometimes just likes capturing the surreal random feel of dreams, and if you really pressed him, like with a gun and blowtorch to explain why, he'd admit "because it's fun my dude". And it is.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Private Cumshoe posted:

The best joke inn Juno was when she says “you gotta speak up im on the burger phone”. Admitting that the commitment to the bit is actually impractical

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Sourdough Sam posted:

Go suck a gently caress, op.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
This is one of those movies where everyone said it was difficult to understand/follow and I came away wholly baffled by how straightforward and generally uninteresting it was.

I knew at least two people in my high school who made this movie their personalities, too. That was weird.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Same question, Can't Hardly Wait

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Same question, Can't Hardly Wait

It's way up there as far as Seth Green movies go

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Das Boo posted:

I remember really disliking the way his character was written, where he turned out to be a total scum bag, while the film never acknowledged what a loving nightmare his wife was. Maybe I’d see if differently now, but no way am I sitting though that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Pitdragon posted:

I watched Mulholland Drive a few times while sober and was just puzzled each time it was over, but then I watched it while really high and it sorta clicked, so my advice is to get really high and then watch it.

Yeah I loved it the first time I saw it, and I’m convinced that’s because I was out sick from work with a raging fever and that film just slotted perfectly into the bizarre headspace I happened to be in.

I think I watched Lynch’s Dune that same day and it did not have the same effect, however.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Private Cumshoe posted:

It's alright. It's immediately obvious why people hate it and it's not a secret masterpiece. "Dollar General Wes Anderson" as someone called it is spot-the-gently caress-on.

That said like, the raw venom is generates is lowkey :kstare: and pretty interesting.

A lot of the people are going to say "I hate them too" but just to put things into relative perspective-- all Diablo Cody did was put a Myspace/Livejournal-era "cool girl" spin on the exact same schtick Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith did, and while those guys certainly aren't beloved they did manage to cultivate and secure a fanbase that Cody didn't, and I do think that's because no one wants to follow the "cool girl." Women in-particular I noticed, distanced themselves really hard from her brand as soon as it appeared, and she was kind-of the swan song for that entire 00s culture before it mutated into what we now would unfairly refer to as "tumblr/YA" culture of the early 2010s.

That isn't to say Diablo Cody is some purestrain victim of misogyny, only partially. Her dialogue was memorable but not in a way that made you sound fun or cool to repeat. "Pork swords" versus "Cellar Door" versus "I'm not even supposed to be here today." Juno was also extremely self-conscious in a defensive way, and understandably so. The persona Ms. Cody was projecting and the 00s teenage culture she was trying to reflect is like that. I've always had a fraternal sense of empathy for that culture, but that culture could also be petty, mean, immature, and yes grating so it's understandable why it bounced off of the wider culture while Wealthy Princess types like Taylor Swift and her team took one look at it and said "Ok I can sand those edges off and sell it" and then proceeded to do that so hard we're now stuck with Ms. Swift forever.

So in conclusion Juno is a movie of contrasts.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Donnie Darko wasn't bad, i think its pretty great, but some things are particularly of their time, and have to be seen in that context. Kind of a common thing for art.

making GBS threads on a film for being too 2000's (it was released 2001), and not realizing or just including any context, in 2023 is like bitching about archers not using gunpowder.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't believe the movie is almost 22 years old :psyduck: :corsair:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Juno sucks the burger phone is the only good part

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

It's alright. It's immediately obvious why people hate it and it's not a secret masterpiece. "Dollar General Wes Anderson" as someone called it is spot-the-gently caress-on.

That said like, the raw venom is generates is lowkey :kstare: and pretty interesting.

A lot of the people are going to say "I hate them too" but just to put things into relative perspective-- all Diablo Cody did was put a Myspace/Livejournal-era "cool girl" spin on the exact same schtick Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith did, and while those guys certainly aren't beloved they did manage to cultivate and secure a fanbase that Cody didn't, and I do think that's because no one wants to follow the "cool girl." Women in-particular I noticed, distanced themselves really hard from her brand as soon as it appeared, and she was kind-of the swan song for that entire 00s culture before it mutated into what we now would unfairly refer to as "tumblr/YA" culture of the early 2010s.

That isn't to say Diablo Cody is some purestrain victim of misogyny, only partially. Her dialogue was memorable but not in a way that made you sound fun or cool to repeat. "Pork swords" versus "Cellar Door" versus "I'm not even supposed to be here today." Juno was also extremely self-conscious in a defensive way, and understandably so. The persona Ms. Cody was projecting and the 00s teenage culture she was trying to reflect is like that. I've always had a fraternal sense of empathy for that culture, but that culture could also be petty, mean, immature, and yes grating so it's understandable why it bounced off of the wider culture while Wealthy Princess types like Taylor Swift and her team took one look at it and said "Ok I can sand those edges off and sell it" and then proceeded to do that so hard we're now stuck with Ms. Swift forever.

So in conclusion Juno is a movie of contrasts.

Uh isn’t Juno the movie with Michael cera where he gets Ellen Paige pregnant? i mean the movie was aight but what is this commentary even about

Edit: I’m willing to entertain that I’m too dumb to understand the complexities of such a thought provoking movie like Juno, or hell, any movie

BigSexy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 11, 2023

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was "Jennifer's Body" good?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I always had Jennifer's Body recommended to me as subversive and feminist, and I'm not sure if I was being trolled or earnestly missed the point.

The camera work didn't support the above narrative at all, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Extra Large Marge posted:

Was "Jennifer's Body" good?