Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's weird from a ludonarrative perspective as well - every time over the last 2 years you jumped off behind The Big Giant Head, you got instakilled from fall damage, except now you can jump down there because reasons.

If they do remove falling damage it'll make the situation with long-looking drops even weirder. Some long falls instakill you. Some long falls (like the pre-gorgon drop in VoG) don't, because they were designed for you to use your doublejump. Some will now presumably be designed for you to fall and take no damage. You have no way of knowing which is which.

The game's already filled with mysterious death zones not related to falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe I'm just not hyped for NeoGeo City because I know I'll haaaaate it by the end of the campaign and strand epilogue quests

Go fetch 150 Scorn Helmets and do 5 Heroic Public Events

If you've convinced yourself you're tired of the expansion before it's even released, maybe it's time to take a break? You'll have an entire year before any fomo kicks in.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What? No. The planetary grinds are not a Me Problem, it's just their design template

You're inventing a quest and getting mad at it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kith posted:

this is like the sixth or seventh time since season of plunder launched that i've had the game just poo poo itself at random and require reinstallation. there doesn't appear to be any consistent reason for it, either - sometimes it's in the middle of a fight, sometimes it's running around an empty room. utterly baffling.

https://i.imgur.com/MMdgXS7.mp4

I have been playing on PC since release and have never seen that myself. Maybe the hard drive it's on is dying?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Lol, crafting is too powerful. They want us to be hellgrinding for that god roll.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They could also fix it by making the other stats powerful.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah it's kinda weird to think about who the Campaign Boss and who the Raid Boss will be for Final Shape. Typically the Raid takes place after the campaign, so the TFS Raid is going to be the final big boss kill of the light & darkness saga.

Everybody plays the Campaign so they have to make the final big boss of the Campaign somebody relevant, like witness, calus, Nezarec etc. It's gotta 'matter'

They typically make the raid boss a no-name mook so that casuals won't be upset by the hanging storylines if they never raid. But if the raid is the final big fight of this SKU, it has to be something that matters as well

They've got their work cut out for 'em! Fans will screech bloody murder if they have to r-r-r-RAID :qq: to finally kill the Witness but it'll be equally stupid if the final raid boss of this game is Random Dude #69 that we only learn about post-mortem when we read the raid gear lore tabs

Speaking as someone who made the jump from "too antisocial to do more than an occasional dungeon" in the first few years of D2 to "complete degenerate with a full set of raid exotics", the final boss of a yearly expansion pack's campaign still deserves to be the more prestigious position. Imagine how disappointing the Witch Queen finale would have been if we were rewarded with a "the princess is in another castle" cutscene.

Now, I do think that Bungie should work on improving raid accessibility, and if they split a campaign finale into both a casual story mode and a fully fleshed out raid encounter, that would also work fine.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think encouraging players to vary their loadouts is a good thing, although it's more fun if they do it through bonuses rather than penalties. Particle Deconstruction got me to actually use and appreciate fusion rifles, and while future mods shouldn't be as ridiculously overpowered, weapon specific boosts like that keep things fresh. Weakened Clear and Breach and Clear gave grenade launchers some much needed love, and there have been mostly defensive enhancements for swords and glaives. I'd love to see a shotgun boosting seasonal mod along the same themes.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

should I come back for lightfall or is the game still just "do these 3 activities 78 times a day chasing a weapon with 3 varieties of random in 1.8 billion total configurations for an additional .57% DPS to cover for the fact that you're actually just garbage and no godroll will ever make you good at pvp"

also is it still stuffed to the gills with eververse bullshit including the long awaited transmog system

for clarity the last time I played was season of the splicer and I never got to do any of the seasonal stuff before I burned out trying to raise my light level enough to do the seasonal stuff because I hadn't played since season of dawn

Everyone else has talked about the other activities, but I'll add that the Witch Queen expansion's campaign was the best in Destiny 2 by far, and included a legendary mode that made it actually challenging. Crafting, while only available for certain weapons, greatly eases off the need to grind for god rolls.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

This was part of the season 1 content, a post-campaign quest on Titan which is no longer in the game (along with the rest of Titan). It was the first time we saw Mithrax and he didn't appear again until season 5. For some reason I wrongly remembered that it was possible to kill him in the knight fight, but it looks like it never was since he's invulnerable the entire time

I am pretty sure you could, and there would be alternate dialogue. I went through it once solo, and then did it co-op with my brother, who didn't pay attention to the story and just opened fire on both of them.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

I thought so too but in the video he has his shield before the knight is dead, you can see brief flashes of it around 31 seconds in. I thought they might have patched out the ability to kill him when they continued his story with Zero Hour, but this video was posted long before that

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-snIfal5E

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Remember how there were a couple seasons during Beyond Light where close-ranged DPS like swords and shotguns also worked well, and they hated it so much they increased stomp damage or some poo poo, so everyone switched to linears only, and now they hate that?

Remember how rockets worked well against Daughters, and they hosed with it so only linears work, and now they're nerfing linears?

Trench barrel on the original Ikelos shotgun is what made them invent the stomp in the first place. Bungie needs to realize that if all the big encounters of the game follow the pattern of "do a puzzle mechanic for 2 minutes" -> "get 30 seconds to damage the boss", people are going to shove as much damage into that 30 second window as possible to avoid doing an extra round of plate holding or symbol shouting or whatever. Encounter design is what should encourage different loadouts.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

Is there a website where I can look up old guns that I should be keeping from the Leviathan Raid era?

I've got a lot of guns in my stash and I'm not sure if I should just scrap them all or keep them all, or keep some, or what to do with them. It's a bit of a mess.

I'm of the mind that I should scrap anything that doesn't have explosion/tracking/fast reload that isn't unique. Then just go with new guns.

Seems like I also shouldn't worry too much about previous season guns as it seems like there are very few legacy guns that cannot be replicated in some way in later seasons.

If they don't have random perks, then you can pull a new copy of them out of your collections whenever you want. However, weapons that old are all sunset, which is designated by the expansion symbol in the upper left corner having a gray triangle. That means that they're capped at the minimum power level, and will be useless outside of basic patrol zones and some pvp modes. You can safely delete everything that's sunset.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Blog Free or Die posted:

I made this video using footage from last weekend's Trials of Osiris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0U2esiv50M

I feel like trials has been in a pretty good state this season; interested to see how it'll shake down with strand type gaming in the next one.

Speaking as a mediocre pvper, that's actually rather informative.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

If there’s an answer to how Ana has her memories it’s probably in the season 3 lore

Where does it say she has her memories? She woke up with a nametag on her, and has been researching her past since she was resurrected, so she knows about things, but that's not the same as remembering.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

3DBlast posted:

God I love checking in on D1 https://i.imgur.com/TMNTZFb.mp4

I've never played Destiny 1, but I get the impression that it was filled to the brim with grindy rng based bullshit and that people's fondness for it is a form of Stockholm syndrome.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

On PC how TF do I exit the game without going back to orbit?

Right now I have to go back to orbit and press B on the controller to bring up the menu to exit to desktop.

There is a way I am missing right?

It's something so simple that I never really think about it, and of course I can't launch the game right now to double check, but I am pretty sure I just exit the game from anywhere by pressing ESC and choosing exit game from that menu. Maybe that option is hidden by default and you need to enable it in the settings menu?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've been avoiding online discussions of Lightfall until I finished the campaign, and I'm surprised to see all the extremely online gamers getting mad about it. I guess Witch Queen is a hard act to follow. There's certainly rough spots; it's closer in quality to the pre WQ expansions, but I don't really get the hatred.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Hypnobeard posted:

Finished the (normal) campaign last night. Just felt.. short compared to WQ (which is the only other one I've done). In both your triumph is yanked out from under you, so that didn't bother me too much. I don't really get the furor over not knowing what the Veil is; it seems like there's a fuckton of things in Destiny that are poorly explained, at best.

The funny thing is that just before launch the thread thought they were wrapping up too many loose threads.

quote:

Calus was hard because of bullshit reasons. On normal he hits like a feather; I think I died like 6 times due to knockbacks or grapple charge failures. Do both Tormentors come out at once on Legendary? On normal they're tied to Calus' health, it looks like, so it's easy to just handle one at a time.

The tormentors work the same way on Legendary. The big difference is that Calus' attacks can sometimes 1 shot you, even with 100 resilience and a solar resist mod equipped. And the adds are just beefy enough that you can't just instantly destroy/ignore them; the major tier incinerators will blast you off the edge like a TF2 pyro if you get too close.

I was able to figure out a good strategy to solo it on legendary. I camped out on one of the outlying platforms and used the computer banks as cover. They block Calus' direct shots and he's tall enough that you could plink at his head from behind them. I'd jump up to the catwalks to avoid the orbital death lasers. I used witherhorde and a scout rifle on Calus, and a machine gun for tormentors and any adds that got too close. Saved my supers for the tormentor spawns as well.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
How about "Protagonist" and "Sidekick"?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

That bit in the last mission where you defend the veil with Caiatl should be its own mode.

That part was awesome, and more people should be talking about it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I am overwhelmingly being awarded the Joy Bringer commendation, which is clearly because I'm sexy and cool and people love rezzing me when I Tarzan into a group of people and die because the attack didn't proc so I ended up shooting a single strand knife and getting obliterated

Bind a key to uncharged melee and it works every time.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The commendation system is baffling. I'm assuming it was incompetently copied from other games. In a strike there are only two extremely vague options, "fun" and "thoughtful" and both my teammates can't be fun at the same time apparently. Give me a big list of meaningful awards and I'd actually pay attention to the system, but as it stands I just have 2 to 5 extra clicks at the end of every activity.

My wishlist:
High damage badass
Saint who patiently rezzed me after five platforming failures in a row
Jealous of your fashion sense
Thanks for not getting mad when I messed up a very easy raid mechanic that I've done dozens of times before
I appreciate the carry! (pvp only)

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Diabetic posted:

I played Destiny 1 when it first came out and 2 as well, but I'm starting over coming back in. I tried to follow what's going on just starting up but it kinda drops you into the Russian Quarantine zone now and I have no idea what my main purpose is. Is that how it is now and you just do patrols or am I really that blind? I warped to the Last City cause I had no idea what to do, cause I remember getting a ship in the Russian quarantine zone but didn't see the story going through that. Is there anyone that could may be explain what I'm supposed to do?

There's a new light questline designed for new players that may be useful to follow. There's a little kiosk next to the postmaster in the tower where old/abandoned quests end up, so get it from there.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I was talking about exotics. I guess I just smash higher leveled same items into it and that raises the stats.

I would like to use my lion rampant. I remember being able to zoom around with those.

Exotic weapons would just need to have their power level infused up. For exotic armor, the extremely old type that had baked in effects like submachine gun reloader (instead of empty mod slots) could be replaced, since those effects no longer work, even though the armor itself still does.

You can buy new copies of already acquired exotics from the collections tab of your menu, although the armor will have low stats.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Sony should be given these studios as part of the Microsoft/Activision deal, as well as the Tony Hawk license

That said lmao who's favorite Destiny expansion is Warmind?

It's not my favorite, but Warmind was an improvement over Red War and Curse of Osiris. I still have a lingering fondness for Extinction Protocol. It just suffered from the anemic postgame of year 1 content, where there wasn't much reason to keep playing after you've beaten the campaign. gently caress that RNG based triumph for the warmind nodes though.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

sunday at work posted:

Having just two people to defend an entier city is dumb. Chosing to make one of them a teenager with no expericne of anything is really dumb. Giving that teenager a lethal amount of body modification (and then I guess hoping they are a quick study) is irresponsible and unethical and dumb.

Have you ever met a real life military recruiter?

(The two at a time thing is dumb unless they have Superman levels of power though).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The reason they added Legendary Lost Sectors in the first place was because people were asking for rewarding solo content that didn't require the masochism of solo dungeons or GMs. But I think it should be an option to carry your newbie friends through for a diminished reward chance.

I am expecting we'll see some difficulty tuning in the near future; Bungie seems to always be flying by the seat of their pants.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The increase in difficulty should come with an increase in rewards. The challenge should be beating the Lost Sector, not beating the random number generator.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Listerine posted:

I didn't care for how Parasite fires so I never did much with it, but what do you have to do prep-wise? You mean choose the right gear/mods or do you have to do something with the gun first like revision zero or quicksilver storm where you get kills to charge an alt firing mode?

Getting kills while you have it equipped gives it stacks of a buff. It can be with any of your weapons or abilities, just as long as it's in your heavy slot. Red bar enemies give it 1 charge, orange bar enemies give it 5, and the maximum number of stacks is 20. So for bosses with short damage windows and/or lots of adds around, you can do a huge amount of damage.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Bungie is the kid who does their homework in the car as their mom is driving them to school, and we're the exasperated teacher who knows they could do better (Witch Queen) but is giving them a generous makeup assignment (post launch patches).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kith posted:

i couldn't sleep so i knocked out a solo flawless run of legendary avalon ("actually legendary this time" edition)

also included: narration and other musings in fireteam chat

Impressive. I guess it's time to finally pull out that dusty exotic I haven't touched in years.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

How does it work with hand cannons? I thought with those the maximum allowed ROF hurt your accuracy and you had to pace them a bit lower

Holding down the button/trigger does throw off your aim for precision weapons, but if you just tap it for each shot, it works the same as usual.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Rift was amazing when it was the IB mode and we were running 6 person stacks through the discord. It is terrible if you run it solo and have a disorganized team of pubbies.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
PvP team: Gambit is clearly a PvE thing.
PvE team: Gambit is clearly a PvP thing.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Once you're 1810, rando gear will be 1800, and pinnacles and powerfuls will be 1810.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for doing the 7-minute Partition? I did this week's with an LFG fireteam and it seemed pretty quick, but didn't get the triumph. Only having 1 shot/week kinda sucks.

This week's (with the bomb defusing and sparrow racing) is super easy with a void hunter. If you go invisible, you can just walk right up to the bombs and defuse them. The only thing you need to actually fight is the last boss.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you can beat a LLS without a huge amount of struggling, don't be afraid to switch to Master mode. It's a very minor increase in difficulty, and the exotic drop rates are much better.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Amplified is an interesting effect because it is baked into the subclass, and isn't an aspect or fragment. I don't think there's anything like it for the other elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LionYeti posted:

I have finally hit 1800 in my casual scrubby play and want to start trying Nightfalls. My current build is Either Arc Titan with Skullfort or Bonk Solar w Synthoceps. Are there good general tips for nightfall play/are those viable builds when things start to get hairy?

General tips for them is to inspect all the icons on the activity launch screen, and change out your weapons depending on the champion types and elemental surges (bonus damage to those elements). A specific weapon type may be overcharged, which is also a damage bonus. Nightfalls will also have an elemental threat, so equip an appropriate resistance mod in your chest for the threat, and for the other types of damage you'll be facing there. At the lowest level, it's not that much different from a strike; you're matchmade to teammates and your loadout isn't locked. At the higher difficulties, you need to make your own fireteam, and should coordinate your loadouts with them since your equipment is locked once you start.

At master and grandmaster level, survivability becomes much more important. You'll want high resilience, and a build that can handle enemies that don't die in a couple hits. Skullfort would run out of steam once they have enough health to not die in one shoulder charge. Stick with your teammates and use lots of cover.