Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lexorin posted:

I mean, I feel D2 PvP is already in the "If you're not good there's no point" arena and not everyone has 5 or even 2 other people to play with. I had a hard enough time getting my partner to play and they hate PvP more than I do so that ship will never sail even if I did want to pvp.

poo poo matchmaking mostly. But people who cheat don't want a fair fight. People who use exploits don't want a fair fight. These are both problematic things in d2 and it makes me think that people who play pvp want to win more then they want a fair playing field. Yes, it is unfair to lump everyone who enjoys pvp with those who cheat and exploit, but if you swim in the public pool you're bound to get covered with piss.

There have been some astonishingly silly generalizations about PvP and PvE players from the other side over the years but points for getting way out in front I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Why aren't we playing together Orv?

I’m not playing at the moment or for the foreseeable future. Got tired of the seasonal regrind and tired of the Bungie cycle of “Make mistake, fix six months later, make similar but slightly different mistake, repeat forever.”

Still pretty much my favorite shooter of all time but the MMO elements weigh it down - as they currently are - more than help it in the end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Has anyone else had the 'bonus round' happen after the boss round? About 5 or so tormentors spawned in, but we suddenly had mayhem uptime on our abilities.

Yes and just once, no clue what caused it. Score or time presumably but it wasn't a terribly notable run by either standard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It didn't help that when you were doing the campaign initially you didn't have a proper strand build and had to do with whatever random poo poo you got from activating the strand node. I assume it just gave you the abilities, no aspects or fragments.

You get one aspect and I believe one fragment for the last two missions whenever you activate strand in them. Depending on your class they're of pretty varying usefulness but it's something, I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mustang posted:

I'm pretty sure I would have beaten it if I was doing it by myself but I was doing it with one of my best friends who is just not that good at this game despite years of playing it.

The weapons he chooses rarely make sense and he doesn't use special and heavy weapons that often, nor does he spam many abilities. Mostly plinks away with a primary weapon.

Like we did 50 rounds of onslaught yesterday and I had like 800+ kills, 400+ orbs generated, the pubbie had 400 kills and 100 orbs, and my friend was like 300 kills and 100 orbs. If I can't carry us through something it's not getting done.

edit: I just wish he'd pick something like Sunshot to spam primary shots instead of some lovely weapon like using an SMG from long range. I do not understand his weapon choices at all.

I did a Coil the other day with two people who used nothing but Wish Ender the entire time. Wish Ender is great but that was certainly an experience.

Orv
May 4, 2011
How else will they properly appreciate nothing happening and everything you did being pointless? Gotta run it at least twice per character.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBX posted:

Is there even a point in doing legendary campaign now that we have gift of the thundergods?

Your exotic knockout list from Vex Incursions will be slightly shorter and you'll get 300 extra strand currency, so ehhhhh.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Related to Neomuna stuff, is there any decent way to get red borders out of there? Seems like all the methods people had a year ago have been greatly nerfed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Unless you feel like spending harmonizers, no

Rad

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just want one of them which makes the math even funnier. Guess I’ll just be done with Neomuna tomorrow when I get the glaive that’s already been murdered for being good.

E: Which is mostly just a consequence of a live game but it is funny how they keep giving us more glaives but every time they make them worth using they get the boot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

I did this pre-nerf, so YMMV but you can spawn in at the Terminal Overload zone and zip through the zones to check for heroic patrols, then hit the Terminal Overload to reload into new instances, and just do that forever. (if you spawn into a Terminal Overload that's on the last phase, you can finish it in a few mins to get a couple more rolls) You can get heroic patrols pretty quickly, but I guess you have to do a lot more just to get the red borders, so ehhh it's gonna be a slow grind no matter what I guess.

This still works but yeah whatever the red border rate from heroic patrols is now it’s not worth it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's nust another example of the frustration of playing a game that is fundamentally enjoyable to play, but also badly mismanaged with a wall of poo poo preventing or disincentivising you from just having fun with most of it.

Eh, I think that remains kind of a self-fulfilling problem. If you force yourself to do the things that aren’t fun then you’re always going to hate it.

That said, every grind in Destiny could be 40-60% shorter and only the people at the top of Bungie obsessed with metrics would be harmed. It’d be nice if every time they go “Yeah actually we agree this is a problem” they didn’t do another ridiculous grind three months later. Or a triumph with bizarrely specific requirements or whatever.

The core game remains one of the funnest out there though, so it’s a weird dichotomy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It would also help if there were multiple paths to a given reward so you didn't have to grind a single activity until you hate it. Maybe add an activity currency that just lets you buy red borders, which in turn is rewarded from doing activities related to the source of those guns. Like for Neomuna guns do lightfall missions, neomuna patrols, lost sectors, terminal overload, hypernet current, etc.

Some people are going to figure out how to minmax it and unlock all the patterns in a day, but is that really a problem? It feels like they're making the game grindy to put the brakes on the miniscule fraction of players who will blitz the content (and then complain there's nothing to do), but at the cost of making the experience poo poo for everyone else.

The thing where doing any activity has a chance for seasonal engrams is halfway figuring this out, honestly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had a vague memory of "This seems improved, I remember something horrible about crafting?" but I didn't remember that part, don't like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Warlock stasis super is so bad that feeding Ager's is a massive DPS increase over it or at least used to be, maybe they realized that was insane. There's some fun stuff you can do with it, it can feed some particularly ridiculous Bleak Watcher setups but if you're not feeling it that isn't likely to change.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sad we will not be able to get all three souls, threadlings and bleak watchers at the same time. Would that be a balance problem? Probably, sure. Do I care? Gimmie the weird pet build, Bungie.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Very funny that an expansion destination armor set that isn’t actively hideous is a novel idea.

Orv
May 4, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Imagine giving a poo poo about perfect rolls when the hardest content you might do is legend stuff just shoot the gun and kill a guy lmao

Edit: I'm doing raids and taking guns like Funnelweb and some random first slot exotic and maybe a rocket or LMG or something iunno, oh look the guy died what do you mean "we could've one phased" the boss is dead dude look he's dead on the ground we did it

If the boss does not cease to exist when you step into the arena you should simply uninstall

Orv
May 4, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

When they said TFS campaign is gonna just be one long campaign not broken up with "also now go do some patrols or some poo poo" I was extremely happy. It'd be cool if they streamlined the rest of the campaigns to do that.

That would be nice but honestly Lightfall was pretty tight already. The recent confirmation that they’re going BL/WQ style of the first episode being a direct continuation and most of the expansion content unlocking post-campaign makes me more concerned about the pacing of what comes after the main missions.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey Amanda, cool that you're getting to do stuff... this... season... alright nevermind.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Failson posted:

Lol.

I've just come back, what is a shiny gun?

It’s the versions of the Brave guns that have the hideous golden sheen on the front third.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look, all I'm saying is it should have been the whole weapon or the base Brave shader should be different colors/pattern cause it just doesn't work with the gold gradient.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Finally a faction more annoying on the whole than Taken.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are the psion-model enemies like literally psions that have joined the dread faction? Or are they a different species ?

They never resolved the whole chief/super/whatever psion guy going rogue during WQ right? Forget his name but presumably they’re Rhulked up psions.

Unrelated, Bungie I am begging you, money in hand, a Verity’s Brow ornament.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there any aspect of D1 Mars in the game? The D2 Mars sandbox/tileset are pretty distinct. It's probably a lot more work to add a strike to D2 when its underlying planet isn't a part of D2.

Just a few of the Cabal placeables they’ve continued to use AFAIK.

marhom posted:

Yirix is still out there, yeah. Everything around Nez (full stop but) and his relationship with the Psions is unresolved, and Lakshmi-as-maybe-msund12 is a wrinkle that has obviously come back up a couple of times this year.

I gotta read the into the light lore, I've been slacking.

Sounds more like an episode bad guy than maybe a mid-campaign boss but it’ll probably come up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What if they just put all the vaulted Strikes and Crucible Maps into the game? Would that be good?

I reject the notion of "D1 Content = vaulted" so I mean specifically the stuff that was in D2 until they removed it from D2

Go for it, honestly.

Not that I think they ever will but I wouldn’t mind the D1 strikes back either for the most part.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 25, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

lol i think that that they're doing this basically proves that d3 is coming

I could see this in support of D3 or a continued D2 honestly. If they just unsunset everything and said go wild yeah absolutely D3 in two years or whatever, Age of Triumph 2 next year.

But reissuing updated versions of old guns always seems to take them a weirdly long time so if they’re committing to that - in as much as ‘we’re planning to do X’ can be a meme with Bungie - I think they’d be unlikely to do that if they’re not just going to continue in this doomed world they’ve created.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Was doing Seraph Shield since I stopped right at the start of that season last time i was playing, is that teleporter about half way through that goes down into the jumping area for the old catalyst quests? Stumbled in there on accident and it seemed surprisingly extensive to have nothing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kith posted:

less "jumping off with a golden parachute" and more "pushed into a golden woodchipper". they'll be hard pressed to find work elsewhere if they get as publicly fired as sony has been threatening, even if they have tasty severance bonuses.

I mean, as video game executives maybe, maybe. On the business side 'they' shipped a decade long, overtly successful franchise from tortured birth to continued success when they 'left,' they'll be on boards in a week.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kith posted:

i'm talking about the management types, not the execs. executives rarely gently caress up the guts of the money machine, and when they do it looks like blizzard

Yeah fair but lol justice

Orv
May 4, 2011
Where is my Trench + One-Two shotgun Bungie, the game is over, give it to me finally

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unfortunately I have always hated how the Omolon scout rifles feel, gimmie a good Veist one

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man, I guessssssss

E: Also while I’m making pointless wishes could I please get the feel of the whatever year it was really good, Firefly/Rampage Trust on a 140.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 27, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011
What is your FL even up to these days, number wise

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fair, still impressive

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mostly I don’t like champions because I think Bungie’s combat design - which I dunno how Destiny still just feels like Halo after two decades of turnover, kind of impressive - doesn’t feel great when enemies have too much health. It’s less of a problem these days with how much power we have but it still just kinda breaks the flow for a second.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The complete lack of checkpoints in the Vexcaliber mission is a choice. Admittedly I'd be less annoyed by it right now if I hadn't had some kind of Battleye error and have to redo more or less the whole thing but scream.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tormentors this tormentors that, I would personally like less wyverns in my Destiny life.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sorry I only use good exotic heavy gls like uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

There's probably an NPC you have to talk to for clearance, is anyone on the map flashing? Any destinations with the Into the Light tag on their icon?

Shaxx, Hall of Champions