Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

:siren: DESTINY 2 IS FREE TO PLAY AND CROSS-PLATFORM. JOIN ONE OF THESE DISCORDS TO FIND PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH! :siren:

Serious Overchill: A goon-adjacent multi gaming group with a few clans. The primary hangout for destiny playing goons on all platforms. Everyone is welcome!

Euro Goon Squad: Euro Goons with loads of destiny players!

Welcome to Destiny 2: Lightfall. The 5th expansion to Destiny 2, this one is all about fighting that darkness thing that's been a coming for the last 7 years and 2 games. It's finally here! And it attacked a cyberpunk vaporwave city on Neptune, for some reason.

Release Date: Feb 28th, 2023

NEW FEATURES IN LIGHTFALL

Guardian Ranks
A new leveling system, Guardian ranks are from 1 to 10. A brand new player starts out at rank 1, and a veteran who has done everything in game is rank 10. Used as a new player onboarding experience and unlocks things like LFG, loadouts, and guided games.

Loadouts!
Finally, you won't have to use a 3rd party tool to change your loadouts quickly, because Bungie is putting that all in-game!

Strand!
A new damage type, subclass set, and Grappling hooks! Described as the "High APM" subclass, Strand looks like we'll be zipping around everywhere and doing various cool things.

In-game LFG System (sometime this year)
Destiny 2 now has a modern Looking For Group system, so you can find groups to do the various non-matchmade activities. The Goon discords aren't going anywhere though!

New to the game? Check out this New Players' Guide, or go in blind by reading these blurbs and make a decision based on almost no information!

Destiny 2 is a FPS MMO-lite created by Bungie. It's on all major platforms (Xbox, Playstation, Steam, and now Epic Games Store). If you enjoy looting and shooting, Destiny 2 is the best looting and shooting game on the market (mostly because all the other ones all keep getting shut down).

CLASSES - What do you want to do?

Do you want to be strong? TITANS have so many different ways to punch things that Reddit whines about it.

Do you want to be mobile? HUNTERS can Naruto Run, Double Jump, and Dodge in any direction.

Do you want to be weird? WARLOCKS are frequently the most powerful class in the game because nobody knows what the hell they're doing.

SUBCLASSES - So many flavors to choose from!

ARC tends towards shock and awe, especially when Amplified and under the effects of Speed Booster. It can also dish out Blind to incapacitate enemies and Jolt to create chain lightning.

VOID tends towards raw power and utility. It gives you the power to Weaken enemies to make them more vulnerable and also allows you to go Invisible or sustain yourself through kills with Devour.

SOLAR tends towards support. As you might guess from the name, you can use it to Scorch and Ignite enemies, but you can also use Restoration to heal or grant bonus damage with Radiance.

STASIS tends towards crowd control. Do you want to shut down some dudes completely? Slow and Freeze have you covered. You can also make Crystals to block attacks or use as platforms, or Shatter them for some extra damage.

STRAND - A new element coming in Lightfall. Suspend enemies in the air before Unraveling them and generate Woven Mail to resist damage while you Grapple around like a Green Spiderman!

THE STORY SO FAR: YEAR 5 EDITION

Lore Recap by BMJ and Kith posted:

Season of the Risen posted:

The Vanguard forges an alliance with Empress Caiatl's Cabal to deal with Savathun's Lucent Brood kidnapping Guardians and draining them of their Light by kidnapping the Lightbearer Hive right back and ripping military secrets right out of their brains. Crow is morally conflicted about all of the psychic torture and tries to put a stop to it peacefully, but accidentally kills the Psion in charge, pissing off Caiatl and causing her to demand his death in retribution. Lord Saladin offers himself as a replacement, impressing Caiatl so much that she offers him a job: Vanguard/Cabal operations coordinator and Lightbearer Representative in the Cabal military command. He accepts, becoming Bracus Forge.

Season of the Haunted posted:

The Leviathan reappears in orbit around the Moon, infested with Darkness-incubating egregore and uncontrollably making GBS threads ghosts. Eris Morn, expert in This Kind Of Stuff, calls up The Guardian and performs a weeks-long ritual with the Crown of Sorrow to fix everyone's haunting problems and allowing Crow, Zavala, and Caiatl to confront and overcome past traumas. The culmination of our efforts foils Calus's plan to take over the Lunar Pyramid to summon even MORE ghosts, but plunges him even deeper into insanity and allows him to contact the Witness, becoming Herald of the End.

Season of Plunder posted:

Eramis is freed by the Witness and tasked with gathering powerful artifacts of Darkness, which she does by rallying old pirate buddies to plunder the sector. With the Vanguard busy opposing the Lucent Brood and pacifying the Infested Leviathan, the Drifter takes point and recruits Spider, Misraaks, and Misraaks' daughter Eido the Scribe to organize a counter-plunder operation. Eido discovers that the artifacts are reliquaries of Hated Nezarec, another Disciple of the Witness, and also that Misraaks once used an artifact to rise to power, shaking her trust in him. After we steal all of the artifacts, they are used to brew a concoction that revives Osiris from his coma.

Season of the Seraph posted:

With Xivu Arath marshalling her forces for all-out war and the Warmind Rasputin slowly dying in his engram form, a team of Ana Bray, Elsie Bray, Mara Sov, Osiris, and Clovis Bray attempt to solve two problems at once by resurrecting Rasputin with backup code framework so he can use the Warsat Network to obliterate the Wrathborn. However, we discover that a destructive war is exactly what Xivu Arath wants, so instead we hold the line to prevent the sacrificial slaughter ritual from succeeding. Meanwhile Osiris, furious and humbled by the loss of his light, seeks any information he can find about his visions of a shining city in a desperate bid to maintain relevance.

CLASS LORE: ETERNALLY RELEVANT

Special thanks to BMJ, Kith, HaveBlue, Horsebanger, Vode, Nat, Scy, and Asterioth for contributing to this OP.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Resources
Funny Gifs, Images & Gameplay

https://i.imgur.com/qGPCZoB.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/mo4Ebps.mp4
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/343995630290599936/764565284026581032/ABM.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/uY5fail.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/BeiIms5.mp4

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1213524961803014144/pu/vid/1280x720/2eIVO9rVoKfxqdVL.mp4?tag=10
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1006015981989351425/pu/vid/1280x720/KJVhDrf_zHiK-ejj.mp4?tag=3
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1288320903525347329/pu/vid/1280x720/k6SNYptgmMMoMBq0.mp4?tag=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89JDuSNKbVQ&hd=1

https://i.imgur.com/cw9k3vH.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/DwLVj3Y.mp4

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 10, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

If you've got more gifs or videos that are funny, send them my way i'll add them

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Aqua Dracula posted:

This is not debuting with Lightfall, most likely not coming until season 22.

argh. what a dumb thing. I've corrected the OP.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Astrochicken posted:

Witch Queen campaign and the build up to it was incredible. Not sure the game will be able to match that level of frenzied anticipation and payoff for me. Sidenote: for years there was a lot of schizoid lore musing on r/ destinylore courtesy of accounts like sanecoin which were all highly entertaining reads but the witch queen reveals put a lid on almost all of it. On the one hand it's kind of a shame. On the other, lol lmao.

the main thing that put a lid of WQ weird rear end leaks and theories was that we had a full leak of everything that was going to happen in WQ, so mostly everyone who knew what was going to happen was able to shut down the fakes and stuff.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

victrix posted:

I think from Beyond Light on was when their current narrative team was finally able to go clean up years of messy lore poo poo and decide on an actual plan for moving forward.

Not saying they wrapped up everything cleanly, or didn't do some hilarious retcons, but it is certainly far, far more coherent now.

Just in time for *checks notes* players who haven't been exposed to 8 years of varying levels of nonsense fragmented lore to jump in for the finale!

who will we provided therapy for in this years seasons?!

honestly I kinda dislike how the narrative is progressing right now. Yeah, they spent 8 years building up but they're trying to do a whole payoff really fast. "There is a warmind bunker on Europa" is a great example of the problems with their storytelling right now... Yeah, it makes sense in-universe why that would exist and it was probably hinted at in a way, but it came entirely out of left field. The space station over earth was another. They're introducing a ton of things that are big, important, and relevant..... and they came out of nowhere.

At least with the arrival of the pyramid ships it felt nice and slow, with a ton of buildup for it. We saw the pyramids a few times. Toland called out the Witness's existence all they way back in Opulence ("You don't know how far up this pyramid goes..."), etc. It took time but it felt like that time created a cool payoff. Now we just have "Somehow Eramis broke out and also there is a really bad guy on the moon that was mentioned once".

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Mazerunner posted:

like, if you take Uldren's thoughts from the 'Forsaken Prince' lorebook, and compare them to some of the poo poo Rhulk or the Witness says, or is in other lorebooks like unveiling/books of sorrow, or check out the completely overlooked Book of Unmaking/For Every Rose, A Thorn/Nothing Ends trilogy, you realize that Uldren was on the path to becoming a Disciple of the Witness, but he biffed it.

It wasnt so much that Uldren biffed it, but he was completely manipulated by Savathun. Perhaps he was on that path and Savathun hosed it up intentionally as a means of weakening the Witness!

Jetamo posted:

I honestly predict we'll get a Witch Queen follow up season this year, like we did with Plunder and Eramis, and Seraph and Clovis.

Maybe follow up on what's happening with Immaru, and Savathun's body - maybe a plot point to do with Fikrul, as that was a dangling thread as well IIRC.

Well, we know that Luke Smith wants an Avengers moment, so we need to resolve a few things. We need to resolve Eramis and bring her into the fold, resolve Savathun because Imaru being free is the biggest checkov gun right now. We probably need an "Empire Strikes Back" moment that makes everything look bleak, and then bam, The Final Shape's avengers moment.

Also, we need to die somewhere in here. That's also waiting.

Dedicate a season to those 4 things and you've got your Y6 content cycle.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Still curious if Final Shape will have four $10 seasons in its aftermath because the great big plot beats always happen during the annual expo, and it might be weird for the story to end 10 months after the final shape in a match made 6 man activity to control plates

games a billion dollar franchise. Sony didn't buy bungle to sunset d2, they bought it for another 10 years of a billion dollars a year. To think this corporation will do literally anything else but make billions of dollars every year is insanity.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Luke Smith hasn't had any say over the game for a while now, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to the franchise.

my man he's the franchise and story director. having big ideas like "lets do an avengers moment" and setting the team to define what it means is entirely his job.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I'm not the biggest fan of them walking back weapon crafting. The new exotic was what I hoped they went the direction of... quests and content to unlock bits for weapon crafting. It would be cool if you had to like, do activities to get perks for your guns.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress, they're going to sell those bonus keys in eververse aren't they?

they probably wont. this is just bound presence as a permanent mechanic. But, who knows, i may be wrong. I know as much as the people saying "yes they will" which is knowing jack-all.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The tricky thing is that Annual Expansions are developed alongside that year's seasons, which makes for some awkward stuff like never revisiting throne world, barely seeing any lucent hive etc. The season team literally doesn't have the annual expansion's assets to work with

Imaru is still in the throne world, right? The patrol zones are "live" spaces that are typically current in terms of storyline, and he's there barking out orders still

not all of them but yeah. The first 2 definitely don't have the assets to play with and the third is iffy. The last season of the year probably could but they often go big in other ways, like building out entirely new zones on existing planets (or in seraph's case, bringing back Mars 2).

We got Europa during Splicer and Moon during Worthy. The complete lack of Throne World is new.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I dont enjoy raid farming so I do weekly full run DSCs in overchill.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

TopHatGenius posted:

It's me the one who hasn't seen beyond the first boss in DSC. Or VoG. Or GoS. Or VoD. Or Last Wish.

I need to just really sit down and find a time to go through these and maybe not be afraid to use LFG or to hit up goons or something!

Hop on the overchill discord and join one of our raids. We're not hardcore farmers. Some people do the farming thing but it's not common.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bruhhhhh just say if there's gonna be new raids and campaigns and exotics and poo poo for Year 8+

Billion dollar franchise buddy. They're not stopping. Destiny is a money printer and raids, campaigns, and exotics sell. Why would they stop making all the money they are making?

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Kith posted:

you keep saying this despite constantly being given evidence to the contrary and i'm not sure why

you know when people keep predicting the end of the world and after their predictions come and go they just say "oh, here is new evidence to push the date out. I wasn't wrong!!!" Something like that.

Sony paid billions of dollars for Destiny. Not for whatever else Bungie is doing, they paid billions of dollars for the 4th or 5th largest live service game on the planet. Everything else is sprinkles.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Mines my level 84 Ikelos SMG. It's only going to get higher.

Oxyclean posted:

Ammit AR2: 101

You should level it to 450 and then never use it again.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I kinda wish they didn't spoil the tormentor grab. It would have been loving hilarious to experience that the first time.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GruntyThrst posted:

should I come back for lightfall or is the game still just "do these 3 activities 78 times a day chasing a weapon with 3 varieties of random in 1.8 billion total configurations for an additional .57% DPS to cover for the fact that you're actually just garbage and no godroll will ever make you good at pvp"

also is it still stuffed to the gills with eververse bullshit including the long awaited transmog system

for clarity the last time I played was season of the splicer and I never got to do any of the seasonal stuff before I burned out trying to raise my light level enough to do the seasonal stuff because I hadn't played since season of dawn

I mean, you can still optimize all you want, but they've done a pretty good job splitting the very hard optimizing content from the stuff they expect everyone to play. Crafting largely got rid of the godroll problem, as you only need to acquire 2 or 5 of the guns to unlock the crafting recipe, and then level it up to get the best possible roll. Almost all meta guns are craftable right now.

Monetization is still very in your face. Transmog has paid stuff but I have everything I want without having spent a dime. The bounties to unlock transmog stuff are easy to do and 10-a-season is like... a lot. 2-3 seasons of doing them basically unlocks everything you'll ever want, and they only add like 2-3 armor sets a season anyway so you get ahead of the curve extremely fast.

The Light Grind is largely going away. It looks to be about 200 point increase for LF but that's it. No increases in the seasons after the expansion. They're adding more light level caps to more activities, so the light grind just doesn't make much sense anymore.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GruntyThrst posted:

The downside of their “you had to be there” story and lore system is, well, you had to be there. Putting everything in order after the fact is a fool’s errand because the story isn’t always linear.

There is a part where I don't mind this. Part of the world of destiny is that some guardians tell other guardians what happened. Like Saladin telling stories of the dark age and such. That is present with older veteran players telling stories to newer players about what was going on in the past... like explaining Cayde-6 and his shenanigans.

It's cool from a world/community building perspective, but it's really bad if you want to just like... play through the game like a normal human being.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

Rhulk is such a comic book villain and it's why Vow is the best raid.

My headcanon is Rhulk is in that pyramid because the Witness got tired of his constant monologuing and gave it to him as a playground just to keep him busy.

the only problem is the forever intro sequence. It's the same reason I disliked CoS... The first bit is just long, not complicated, and annoying.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Difficulty changes across a ton of activities article is out

Covers quite a bit from dares/wellsprings, to nightfall and raid changes. Oh and lost sectors too.

It's... beautiful....

I love every single one of these changes.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe, but additional power seems to be part of the plan, since we can only get up to 1810 from gear, but have a max effectiveness of up to 1820 for some content.

Also btw I was just sort of talking my way through understanding all this, in the reply to you. I feel like there are some Good changes here, but the areas that really needed the reworks are just barely changing at all which makes me feel like bungie doesn't totally "get it" what people are asking for. Maybe a subjective read on it though.

it feels more like they are trying to go the direction you are wanting, but they can't just flip a switch overnight. Power is probably extremely load-bearing and just removing it would commit them to a year or more of the current system without any meaningful changes while they work out the new system internally.

This feels like duct tape to try to get most of the way to a system they want without breaking everything in the process.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

I dont think they need to Ctrl+F Delete "Power"

Like, if they wanted to get most of the way to the system, why are they increasing the power cap for the expansion? I can't really wrap my head around what design or tech allows them to make all these difficulty changes, but not skip increasing the power.

Just feels like this is going to make the start of lightfall that much more annoying as you deal with your entire gun collection needing infusion.

probably because they did that before they decided to remove power. Not to mention they get literally millions of players for expansions that expect to be able to make number go up.

The seasonal stuff isn't for the bulk of the people that buy expansions. It's for the average joe who rotates around games and likes to see progress bars fill up for a month before going to another progress bar go up simulator like warzone.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

But they could just choose to not make the power go up. It cannot be a technically hard thing to change if they were able to "suddenly" decide to add all the difficulty changes. There's also millions of players who expect a bunch of content to be a cakewalk - so I don't think the expectation of a power climb is very important - it hasn't been for a long time since it was downplayed in WQ with the way legend campaign worked. "Make number go up" isn't fun if it doesn't actually translate to anything.

Like, for awhile now, pretty much all power increases accomplish is making you engage with the economy to spend upgrade modules or possibly play with new guns that drop. Repeating myself, but the fact they're adding more light cap/penalty activities just makes me sour that I'll have so many things I'll need to infuse up just to not be at a disadvantage.

I realize you won't have a satisfying answer for me since you are not John Bungie, but you gotta agree it's kind of silly.

I agree it's silly. I just get it in a weird way. It's not a perfect solution but it's better than nothing.

Seasons aren't getting the power increase. They are just "not raising the power level" but that's only for stuff post-lightfall. This leads me to believe there are other elements in Lightfall that they are considering (like a wave of every day players who don't play this game as a hobby) and want to give them something like watching a number go up.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Junkenstein posted:

I don't think many people would care if they effectively unsunset everything now, given the weapon power creep. Nobody's going to cry about that Go Figure they sharded.

Especially if they bring back reprised Season of the Dawn and Forge weapons first.

oh my god people would freak the gently caress out if bungie unsunset guns that they had deleted because they though that those guns were useless.

Granted, Y2 perks aren't great in the current meta and the addition of an Origin Trait kind of soft sunset guns before that addition, so really it's not a big deal that those guns are gone... But boy people will freak out that they deleted their Blast Furnace or whatever and bungie unsunset the gun.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

People bitching about a change and throwing a fit in the steam reviews or on various forums is not a concern for you or I, but it probably is from bungie's perspective and they want to avoid making people mad (because mad people dont spend money).

I wouldn't discount it as a reason for not undoing sunsetting or trying to navigate around that issue.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There are no stasis Shields in the game, in fact

No stasis Shields was a conscious decision as they did not want to split Match Game a 4th direction

We'll see if this frees them up to have stasis and strand Shields now!

There are stasis and strand shields in the b-roll released with the Vidoc for various gaming news outlets. You can see them in the gamespot preview video, which just repeat-plays clips of that b-roll.

sadly, they don't put the b-roll on dropbox anymore so we can't just download it as easily as we could in the previous expansions.

EDIT:

I should also note, there were stasis shields in the Beyond Light b-roll too. They just didn't ship when the game came out. I believe at launch time for WQ there was a Scorn dude in a public event that had a Stasis shield, and Bungie hotfixed it to Arc.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 22, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

PathAsc posted:

Goddammit I'll be happy if the 1kv changes are badass, I loved dps phases with it. It's still awesome for shooting mans and giving with people behind cover or invaders in gambit. Also bring back the bug where it screamed and broke eardrums lol

E: eagerly awaiting how I can redo my riptide/cartesian/1kv solar warlock build with the new mods, but if they're removing the weapon ammo finders instead of just adding to them that'll be sad. And give me a heavy trace rifle and legendary kinetic slot one so that can be goofy too.

I dont think 1kv will be a boss dps weapon. It seems like it will be very good on paper but the ability to kill yourself with it hampers it's utility. Sleeper seems similarly poised to be a good option for dps but doesn't suffer from the "oops i'm dead for this whole dps phase" problem that 1kv does.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I highly doubt surges will affect anything outside of master raids and dungeons. The number crunching on master raids puts playing with surges at around 10% more difficult than contest, so removing the surge increases that. Contest already requires maximal DPS and DPS windows (you almost always go to enrage in contest mode), so making those even harder will require some serious buildcrafting and utilizing every benefit you have available to you to complete encounters.

I do not think this will be the case literally anywhere else. You don't need to think about surges, burns, and damage buff stacking in heist battlegrounds, for example (which use this same system).

EDIT: For example, the current week GM NF has a 25% increase in solar damage. We've been running around a dozen farming sessions a day in Overchill and nobody has build crafted around utilizing that Solar damage increase. If that's not relevant right now, it certainly wont be relevant in lesser difficulty content in the future.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 22, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

As for why you're noticing a lot of new discussion on the mechanics - Nobody cares that GMs are staying the same. People are now being vocal because they don't like that other content is becoming GMs.

Nothing is becoming GMs. Heist BGs were not a problem and that's the system they are using. You can still autopilot through them if you have any ounce of ability to play this game. It's only trouble for people who literally don't put mods in sockets on their armors.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

I really like this game but why does it insist on throwing you into some random mission when you first log on sometimes? I admittedly don’t play much but at least ask me if I want to start whatever mission it is.

Those are the intro missions for various seasons. Bungie really likes their cold-open seasonal content. You need to do the latest one to get the seasonal artifact. You can just leave the mission though.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Mostly agreed, though I'll be a counterexample and say that the bolded thing does, in fact, bother me and I do complain about it. The singes narrow your preferred loadouts. "Oh it's solar singe that means it's gjallarhorn + solar rockets". It's the only thing anyone is bringing to Warden farms this week.

I mean, that boss has the weaker crit spot so rockets are better than lfrs on him anyway. Gjally was always the call for him, regardless of the singe. Solar rockets are just icing on the cake.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

The PvP changes are probably necessary because of one-click loadout swaps.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Yeah, why not use the existing modifier instead of a brand new one? Is there some legendary swapping meta I'm not aware of?

Maybe they want people to be able to swap once they see the other team's composition, but technical hurdles prevent them from delaying the loadout lock until after that point

There are some strats around using super generating exotics to get your super fast, then swapping to one that buffs your super on the round you want to use it. Alternatively, you can run "guns shoot better" exotics while your super is charging and "super supers better" when you're up.

This used to not be a great thing to do because the UI loads kind of slowly and swapping multiple items around isn't the easiest thing to do. With one-click loadout swapping and it able to pull from your vault, I can very much see item swapping stats to leverage super better on super rounds to take off and be annoying as poo poo to have to learn how to quickly inventory tetris in order to play the competitive shooting game better.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I get this, and it was in the post. My question was, why spend time and effort on a brand new limited anti-some-swaps modifier when there's already an anti-all-swaps modifier, and that was also answered above (weapon swaps are part of trials and no one has a problem with this including Bungie)

Oh, yeah. Definitely it's a targeted fix and not a general one. weapon locking would make things worse and this makes things better.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

If this is the intro cutscene, where the gently caress is this story going?!?

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Must... Bat... The... Ball...

Source of both catness images: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/11a4qre/cat_witness/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

arsenicCatnip posted:

yeah, every time we've had something to reference against him like Calus or the Pyramids he's appeared to be gargantuan. I could see him just shrinking down when it's needed.

on a related note, wow, the shadowkeep ending cutscene does such a great job of foreshadowing the witness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azr1q414MGE

that's less of a foreshadow and more of a "HEY THIS IS THE BAD GUY HEY LOOK RIGHT HERE ITS HIM"