Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Welcome to CYOWIFOA: Sommelier Edition, a game of mafia for as many people as show up.

The concept is an unholy amalgamation of a CYOR/CYOF(Choose your own Role/Flavor) and a WIFOA (Wine in Front of All), the Voodoofly special. It will be a pseudo open setup once setup is complete, but the mystery wines and the roles that are listed will have a blurb rather than their full rules text. If you win the role, you will get the full rule text/

See the out of the ordinary steps in the next post, and the roles that have been submitted in the 3rd post, plus a few extras.

Rules
I: Don't be a dick.
II: Posting after the hammer is fine, but not if you the dead person
III: If there is a day action posted, everyone can keep posting, I will adjudicate as soon as possible.
IV: Don't fake day actions.
V: But really, don't be a dick.
VI: No posting of mod comms or sanctioned out of thread communications.
VIb: Don't have unsanctioned out of thread communications.
VII: This is rule 7, I felt there should be 7 of them, so here it is.

Players
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  2. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
  3. Chic Trombone (He/Him)
  4. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  5. GenericGirlName (She/Her)
  6. hambeet (he/him)
  7. Idle Amalgam
  8. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  9. Illusionis
  10. Johnny Keats
  11. Kashuno
  12. Lampsacus
  13. Rhymes With Clue
  14. saladscooper (he/him)
  15. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  16. Shellception (She/her)
  17. SporkChan
  18. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
  19. WindwardAway (she/her/whatever)
  20. wologar (he/him/whatever)

Discord is required to play.

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Shamelessly Stolen and Modified from Voodoofly

Choose your Own Wine in Front of All is exactly like a normal game, except there is a special pre-game stage that allows people to create, then pick roles. It works as such:

Stage -1: CYOR
Choose a role, a concept, a loose idea, whatever you want really, and I will make a role out of it and throw it in the role bucket. Once all roles have been artfully crafted and not winged at all, we will move into standard WIFOA territory.

Stage 0: Meet Ms. RNG. I will randomly assign each player’s alignment. This will be done by RNG (twice, actually), so while I encourage WIFOM in this game, initial player order will probably not be the place to look. Players will not learn their alignment until Stage 2 (the Role Draft) begins.

Stage 1: Draft Order Contest. Each player must send me a number (integers only, sc4rs) from 1-10. Each player must also send me a second tie break number from 1-10 – the tie break will work exactly like the original contest (Example of number choice: Vodoofly picks 9, 9). The object is to pick the number closest to 1 that THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE PICK. Order will be determined as: (1) closest to 1 that only 1 person picked, until all single picks are gone; (2) closest to 1 that only 2 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all double picks are gone; (3) closest to 1 that only 3 people picked (using the tiebreaker), until all triple picks are gone; etc. If there is a tie in the tiebreaker number section, those players will be behind any single pick for the tie breakers, and I will roll dice for them. The final Draft Order will be published in this thread for all to see before moving to Stage 2. See the Mock Draft (posted at the bottom of this post) for an example.

Stage 2: Pick Two Roles. First, players will learn their alignment (scum will NOT learn who their scum buddies are). Second, each person must select TWO ROLES, from the pool of roles (provided below): one will be a PRIMARY role, the other a SECONDARY role (Example of role choice: Voodoofly: Primary Toxic Vig, Secondary Party Host). These selections must be sent to me via PM or Discord. Role selections will NOT be published until after the game has finished.

Stage 3: Primary Role Draft. After all role selections are in, I will then go down the Draft Order – if nobody above you has selected the PRIMARY role you picked, you get the role, but if someone has already taken that role, you still have a chance in the Secondary Role Draft. If you select vanilla, you will automatically be vanilla. The results of this draft will NOT be published until after the game has finished.

Stage 4: Secondary Role Draft. Now, we will go reverse, snake style, back up the Draft Order – if you did not get your PRIMARY role, and your SECONDARY is still available, you get the role, but if someone has already taken that role, you are vanilla. If you select vanilla, you will automatically be vanilla. The results of this draft will NOT be published until after the game has finished.

Stage 5: Let’s go! People will be sent their role (including any additional role information that was intentionally or unintentionally not included in the OP) and full/rest of their alignment (scum will learn their scumbuddies at this time, etc). After that Day 1 will begin. There will be no Night 0.

MOCK DRAFT

Mock Draft Contest to make it simpler (second number is tiebreaker).

A: 1,1
B: 1,4
C: 1,1
D: 3,7
E: 5,9
F: 5,2
G: 7,1
H: 2,4
I: 2,7
J: 9,8
K: 6,9
L: 6,7
M: 5,6

Final Draft Order:

1. D (3,7) (one person picked the number)
2. G (7,1)
3. J (9,8)
4. H (2,4) (two people picked the number)
5. I (2,7)
6. L (6,7)
7. K (6,9)
8. B (1,4) (three people pick the number)
9. C (1,1 wins dice roll)
10. A (1,1 loses dice roll)
11. F (5,2)
12. M (5,6)
13. E (5,9)

Simple, right?

Finalized Draft Order
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them) 2,3
  2. Cloacamazing! (she/her) 6,2
  3. hambeet (he/him) 7,2
  4. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever) 1,1
  5. Rhymes With Clue 1,3
  6. GenericGirlName 1,8
  7. wologar (he/him/whatever) 5,1
  8. Chic Trombone (He/Him) 5,2
  9. CapitalistPig (He/Him) 5,7
  10. Idle Amalgam 3,6
  11. Johnny Keats 3,1
  12. Illusionis 3,1
  13. Kashuno 3,2
  14. saladscooper (he/him) 3,2
  15. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever) 4,1
  16. Shellception (She/her) 4,3
  17. Lampsacus 4,4
  18. SporkChan 4,2
  19. Sandwolf (He/Him) 4,2
  20. WindwardAway (she/her/whatever) 4,2

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 16, 2023

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Wine ListRoles - All roles except for the house blends have a short flavor description, as well as tags somewhat helping you decipher what they are, but like tasting notes don't give the full picture. Don't ask for clarification, you won't get it.
  1. Three Monkeys - Three odd statues sit here, I wonder what they do. Whatever it is probably comes with a price. (Investigative, Drawback)
  2. When a bottle of wine has been left open in the fridge too long and it starts to go to vinegar but isn't quite there yet where it's an unholy and terrible mix - A foul smelling concoction sure to give someone a headache. (Defensive, Passive)
  3. EU regulation No 1677/88 laying down quality standards for cucumbers - A shining example of European Bureaucracy. (Offensive,Defensive)
  4. An Unbreakable Chain, Kin of the Ourobos - Is it eating itself? How? It's made of metal!(Defensive, Exponential)
  5. Domino's Delivery App - Apps Only! - 30 minutes or less or it's free! (Items, Drawback, Offensive, Defensive)
  6. Armored Limousine - The gas mileage must be awful, but it could probably stop a tank shell. (Defensive, Chaotic)
  7. One, Won - Numberwang! (Chaotic)
  8. A tight-fitting chartreuse shirt. - You aren't sure why, but you are sure you hear the sounds of a recorder floating on the wind when you look at this shirt. (It's also hideous) (Investigative, Offensive, Defensive, Chaotic)
  9. Premium currency in a lovely idle phone game - Targeted Ads that are only tangentially related to the game (Item, Boon, Drawback)
  10. A Giant Mecha - This colossal robot looks like it could be piloted by a group of plucky teenager. (Gadget, Defensive, Stacking)
  11. The feeling you get when you are 8 years old in 1986 on Christmas and you rip open your present and it's a Nintendo Entertainment System - An excited squeal seems to leak from this role. (Defensive)
  12. Bugcaller - You command a legion of larvae who will do your bidding. (Item, Chaotic, Offensive, Defensive)
  13. Bus Driver Shortages - No one will take these jobs, you might just have to take matters into your own hands. (Chaotic)
  14. Spicemaster - BAM! (Investigative)
  15. Day 1 Sucks - An insurance policy against the trials and tribulations of Day 1. (Investigative, Gadget)
  16. Focused Seer - A psychic with a very narrow window of extra sensory perception. (Investigative, Drawback)
  17. Original version of 'Red Right Hand' by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. - Let's make a deal. (Chaotic, Drawback)
  18. Journalist - Write articles that may or may not shift the narrative. (Chaotic, Time Commitment)
  19. Pistols At Dawn - Demand Satisfaction! (Offensive, Drawback)
  20. Gyromitra Esculenta - Deadly poisonous, but delicious when prepared properly. (Charging, Offensive, Defensive)
  21. Red House Blend: Mystery Role 1
  22. White House Blend: Mystery Role 2

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 16, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandicap posted:

Choose Your On

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
:getin:

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Yes

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

That second post sucks whoever wrote it must be scum.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Sign me up for insanity!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I can't not join.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I can't not play this.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I am rising from the dead for this

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Put me in coach

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I have no idea what any of this means, but I want to play a game.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah okay I will do this

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Putting this here so I can quote it when the time comes.

1, 1

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of words

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

That's a lot of words

I even wrote some of them.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

what's the frequency Kenneth?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I have joined the server and submitted a thing. I am signing up to be a player in this game.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Rhymes With Clue posted:

what's the frequency Kenneth?

Radio Free Europe

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

That's 14, definitely enough to start, but I'll reping the mafia discord on Monday and hold for more signups until Wednesday.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
OH MY GOD LET ME IN I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION AND KASH DIDNT PING ME!!!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

oh uh I guess I should update y'all the pronoun situation changed since I see them listed in the OP :v

it's he/him now :shobon:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Chic Trombone posted:

oh uh I guess I should update y'all the pronoun situation changed since I see them listed in the OP :v

it's he/him now :shobon:

Updated.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I appreciate it

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I've got a great idea for a role (not guaranteed to be that great) so I'm in.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Is it too late for me to be /in? :)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Put me in coach

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Is it too late for me to be /in? :)

hambeet posted:

Put me in coach

You both are in!

I think that's plenty, signups will be open until everyone gives me their CYO in their discord channels. Also, please join Discord

Also double dammit, I apparently overwrote my OP with the player list instead of appending it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Put me in coach

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
I'm signing up if this is still recruiting!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
This is a terrible idea, but I'll be the 19th.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Let's make it an even 20, what could go wrong?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hey Generic Girl Name and SporkChan, please report to the Discord.

If you haven't submitted a role/flavor/concept/weird fever dream, and a draft pick in the format {X,Y} where X and Y are in the set of numbers {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} please do so at your earliest convenience in your confessionals.

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 14, 2023

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Finalized Draft Order
  1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them) 2,3
  2. Cloacamazing! (she/her) 6,2
  3. hambeet (he/him) 7,2
  4. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever) 1,1
  5. Rhymes With Clue 1,3
  6. GenericGirlName 1,8
  7. wologar (he/him/whatever) 5,1
  8. Chic Trombone (He/Him) 5,2
  9. CapitalistPig (He/Him) 5,7
  10. Idle Amalgam 3,6
  11. Johnny Keats 3,1
  12. Illusionis 3,1
  13. Kashuno 3,2
  14. saladscooper (he/him) 3,2
  15. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever) 4,1
  16. Shellception (She/her) 4,3
  17. Lampsacus 4,4
  18. SporkChan 4,2
  19. Sandwolf (He/Him) 4,2
  20. WindwardAway (she/her/whatever) 4,2

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Here’s a bump so people can find this thread

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Put me in coach

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

hambeet posted:

Put me in coach

Put me in business.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Put me on the roof, I'll manage somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Put me in a boat with everyone else, I'll take bets on who falls out first