Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

bossy lady posted:

I love going into the city to do tik tok dances on the subway tracks

I don't TikTok so please tell me this is a joke, the mbta already has enough problems without dipshits filming videos of themselves getting caved in by the orange line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

retired last year. next year I will die. my entire life for this. $200k left to pay down on the mortgage

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Voice of Labor posted:

in seriousness, do suburbs exist outside of america?

they do they just call them villages in europe.

like hot fuzz is basically a suburb they just dont have the room to build it 100 miles away from anything fun.

and ive been to plenty of "villages" that were basically suburbs in germany the one time i went.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

I'm trying to get the city council to remove all the sidewalks in my neighbourhood to help keep out unpleasant types.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

trying to get the city council to expand the sidewalks so I can get an additional 2 great danes and train them to poo poo all over freerangehexagon's lawn

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

snergle posted:

like hot fuzz is basically a suburb they just dont have the room to build it 100 miles away from anything fun.

and ive been to plenty of "villages" that were basically suburbs in germany the one time i went.

Do Americans call small towns in rural areas like in Hot Fuzz "suburbs"?
We'd only use the term for outlying residential parts of large towns

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

snergle posted:

In the UK, everything not a city is I think within the American definition of a suburb. You're never more than like 1.5hrs from the nearest city (*city may technically be a town) unless you're in really isolated bits of Scotland.

The idea of living a first world lifestyle but genuinely a day's travel from basic medicine and public utilities and """"law"""" is one of those woahhh cool revelations and also a bit terrifying.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I feel safe and comfortable because every single business within a 5 mile radius is a national chain in a power center. I am never challenged or forced to try new things.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I've lived in this neighborhood for almost 40 years and I have a lot of opinions about what you do to your house and yard

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I constantly see the same car driving past my house. Every Monday through Friday they do a driveby twice a day, on mornings they go one direction and in the afternoons they go another direction. Is my house being cased? Should I tell the cops someone's stalking me? ...What do you mean it's just some guy going to and from work!?

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Covers my car in Punisher Cop symbols, never gets my tires slashed because I have signs that say "smile, you're on camera!" and "trespassers will be shot" and no one wants to risk calling my bluff. Convinces myself my 10-year-old tires got slashed anyway and didn't just fall apart from overuse.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

It begins quiet and in the distance, like a languid breeze. The hum of the first lawnmower. Maybe it will be a one off and pass before anyone else notices. The moment hangs like a held breath.

Another lawnmower starts. We know it has began in earnest now. Another one roars closer. Now five. Now eight.

Put on the cargo shorts and cut off t-shirt. It has been decreed the lawns will be mowed.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 12, 2023

naked umlaut
Aug 3, 2005
precinct results: 48/52 Trump/Biden

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

naked umlaut posted:

precinct results: 48/52 Trump/Biden

the Trump flags will still fly until April

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
You guys know everybody grows weed in the suburbs, right? It’s one of the advantages of having a greedy mortgage instead of a greedy landlord.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

in seriousness, do suburbs exist outside of america?

I’ve lived in multiple countries and there were suburbs in them all. But Suburbia, in my opinion, is distinctly North American.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

carry on then posted:

the Trump flags will still fly until April
I live in a rediculously pro Biden district and this was still true

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

in my HOA, violators must do a first to 100 in mvc2 with the president

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I wish I had cool neighbors who had MvC2

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

trying to get the city council to expand the sidewalks so I can get an additional 2 great danes and train them to poo poo all over freerangehexagon's lawn

simply walk your dogs by holding their leash while you drive your Ford F150 like a real American, incidentally I am a grief counsellor for people who accidentally run over their dogs while walking them

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look some people want sidewalks some people don't I think we can meet in the middle by making a few sidewalks, but just ones that start and end randomly and don't go past anything or anywhere people would actually want to walk.

This sound good to everyone?

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Isn't life a blast? It's just like living in the past! And we go downtown to do our shopping, and we work in suburbia!

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

dr_rat posted:

Look some people want sidewalks some people don't I think we can meet in the middle by making a few sidewalks, but just ones that start and end randomly and don't go past anything or anywhere people would actually want to walk.

This sound good to everyone?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

bossy lady posted:

in my HOA, violators must do a first to 100 in mvc2 with the president

the president always runs Cable/Sentinel/Magneto

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
UGH, Halloween again and the little shits will go apeshit if they can't get out for "trick-or-treating". Can you believe they want me to not only wear a costume, but walk through the neighborhoods with them? Screw that, if I'm forced to with them, I'm just going to tail them in my Cadillac SUV and watch Ellen.

Oh. My. God. Look at the traffic in this neighborhood. Not only are the runts going every which way, there's a bunch of weirdos cruising around behind kids and not paying the slightest attention to the road. One dumbshit almost rear-ended me. poo poo, Tamsyn's already moved way down the block... you'd think if she's gonna make me chaperone she'd come hop back in the car like a sane human being so we can roll a few hundred feet in comfort. She's ten now, but still has a lot of growing up to do...

poo poo poo poo poo poo DID I JUST HIT A GHOST? I can only see the body through the front-facing camera, stupid tike didn't even come halfway up my grill. What the gently caress was that kid doing in front of my car? Why didn't this $90,000 piece of poo poo not see the obstacle and automatically brake? God, some bitch just hopped down out of her truck wailing. What the gently caress did I do to deserve this to happen to me??

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Neighbor sprays my flowers with pesticide because she doesn't like bees

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The neighbour's dog is the only thing on this planet that's looked happy to see me in a decade.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yeah, suburbia has crime, it's called property taxes!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I woke up with two cats sleeping on me....I dont own any cats.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

a half mile is 5 blocks. A 15-20 minute walk. Probably longer if you have children. Not impossible but probably a pain in the rear end. It would have been better if you said a 45 minute drive

lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

snergle posted:

it’s because they started as villages but became part of a larger city as density increased. it’s called a conurbation precious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conurbation

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I stopped in staten island the other day for gas and realized it is the worst suburb in america
  • No way to get directly to manhattan via train or driving. No subway access to the rest of NYC in general
  • Highly isolated. You have to pay tolls to enter / leave
  • Still kind of expensive since it's part of NYC
  • Packed with racist cops and firefighters

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm convinced it only exists so you can take the free ferry around the statue of liberty

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
It's nice out, let's walk to the park.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

thin blue whine posted:

It's nice out, let's walk to the park.

That’s where the thugs operate.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Johnson's just called the cops on me for trimming my hedges while a kid plays basketball in the street

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

I'm gonna gently caress my neighbors wife

Bill, bill? BILL! No bill, you mustn’t. :nono:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hey neighbor, you uh... you gonna trim those bushes up a bit? I was walking the dog the other day and noticed you're looking a bit shaggy there. Don't want people to think there's a vacant property here or anything, you know?

My son, the cop, he says the city's going to start putting out $50 fines for houses that look bad. Not that I'm saying anything! But you know, I assume you'd want to avoid that fine.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Your tree's branches hang three inches onto my property line. This is unacceptable. You've ignored all of the strongly worded notes I taped to your door so I'm going to cut the whole thing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Where are your Christmas lights, neighbor? Oh, it's just that, you know... we kind of got a reputation as a big Christmas neighborhood! Lots of lights, plus you know how Shelly's got her inflatables going.

You're what? Oh. Oh, never met one of you before. Haha. But uh... you can still put lights up, right? I mean, the kids love it. And it's kind of boring if you're the only house without a bunch of lights up.