Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". As long as games with rules have existed, cheating has existed alongside it. We simply love cheating, bending the rules, finding an unfair advantage, etc. in the name of winning. I cheated in a third grade kickball game by running out of the basepath in order to avoid someone trying to peg me with the ball to get me out, and ended up scoring the winning run. It's just human nature.

As such, professional sports are no stranger to cheating. Every major or minor sports league has had tons of cheating scandals. Whether it be a Moroccan tennis player in the low levels of professional doubles getting a lifetime ban for fixing 135 matches or even in the most sacred American sport of baseball during the Golden Era when everyone looked up to baseball players as some kind of saints, chances are that someone out there is cheating. Heck, the rules of professional racing are made and re-made every year to trim competitive advantages from tinkering engineers looking to get 1% more power out of an engine due to some oversight by the rules committee.

In short, I think a thread where we can discuss some of the biggest past cheating scandals in professional sports as well as current, interesting ones that spill over into public consciousness for some reason or another. My hope is that, when something like Deflategate or Lance Armstrong doping or the recent Astros Sign Stealing Scandal comes to light, that this thread can be used as a place for people to learn about the scandal, the fallout of the scandal, and whether the scandal was really that big a deal or not. After all, every team cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That Astros cheated in 2017, not sure if anyone's heard about that yet.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
baseball teams definitely not cheating - oakland athletics and pittsburg pirates

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Alpha and Omega of team-wide cheating

quote:

The 2000 Summer Paralympics in Sydney, which had already seen controversy with numerous positive drug tests, would be the venue for one of the most scandalous events in the sport's history. Spain was stripped of their intellectual disability basketball gold medals shortly after the Games closed[17] after Carlos Ribagorda, a member of the victorious team and an undercover journalist, revealed to the Spanish business magazine Capital that most of his colleagues had not undergone medical tests to ensure that they had a disability. The IPC investigated the claims and found that the required mental tests, which should show that the competitors have an IQ of no more than 75,[18][19] were not conducted by the Spanish Paralympic Committee (CPE). Ribagorda alleged that some Spanish participants in the table tennis, track and field, and swimming events were also not disabled, meaning that five medals had been won fraudulently.[19][20]

He went on to say that the Spanish Federation of Sportspeople with the Intellectually Disabilities (FEDDI) deliberately chose to sign up athletes who were not intellectually disabled to "win medals and gain more sponsorship".[21] Fernando Martin Vicente, president of the FEDDI and vice-president of CPE, initially denied the allegations.[21] After it was confirmed that 10 of the 12 competitors in the winning team were not disabled,[17] Martin Vicente publicly apologised for the error and accepted total responsibility, resigning just before the findings were officially released.[20]

Two weeks later the team was officially disqualified and was ordered to return the gold medals.[17]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hoping we don't get a baseball version of this https://yourteamcheats.com/ from any Astros posters or maybe we should because this site is absolutely hilarious

For context, some Patriots fan created this after Deflategate

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 12, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

baseball teams definitely not cheating - oakland athletics and pittsburg pirates

It could be argued they're the biggest cheaters in baseball, knowing that winning rings and spending money isn't important to the true game of Capitalism, and that as long as they stay put as a non-relegated team in a major sports league, ownership valuation will skyrocket as more and more teams around them are sold

When Bob Nutting bought the Pirates in 1996 he paid $92mil; almost a calendar year ago they were valued at $1.32bil, and next month it'll likely be even higher than that when the new calculations come in. Despite only having 4 winning records/seasons in that time and only one playoff series win to show for it (and that was a full decade ago at this point!)!

Reaping the same financial rewards of all the other rich owners around them, and they don't even need to worry about on-field quality to pull it off. If that's not cheating the system, what is :smug:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There’s a million other examples in racing but Toyota’s European rally team cheat in 95 being so good that it flat out impressed the FIA president is forever my favorite.

Car and Throttle posted:

In the history of WRC the most blatant case of cheating is Toyota’s illegal turbo discovered at Rally Catalunya 1995. On one hand, it was piece of brilliant engineering but on the other hand it embodied the desperation that TTE was in to make latest Celica competitive. Toyota forced the team to use Celica as a base for their programme, even though car was not ideal for the purpose.

Toyota has some of the best engineers in the world. Every car is inspected before the rally by by the governing body to make sure that the restrictor plate is installed. Toyota engineered a way to allow air in to the turbo intake that completely bypassed the seals around the restrictor. Additionally when the car was moving and the turbo was engaged, the restrictor plate would be moved back a couple of inches completely nullifying the effect of the restrictor plate. Some of the best judges and techs had gone over the car to make sure cheating like this were not taking place. In fact, the engineering was so good that when the turbo was disassembled post-race for inspection, judges couldn’t find any evidence that extra air had passed through the turbo. Toyota had manufactured special springs and clips that would move the restrictor plate back from the air intake, but when the turbo was disengaged the springs would pop it back in to position making it appear that everything was as per the FIA rules.

Max Mosley, the president of the FIA at the time said this: “Inside it was beautifully made. The springs inside the hose had been polished and machined so not to impede the air which passed through. To force the springs open without the special tool would require substantial force. It is the most sophisticated and ingenious device either I or the FIA’s technical experts have seen for a long-time. It was so well made that there was no gap apparent to suggest there was any means of opening it.”

This gave the car an estimated 25% extra air coming in to the turbos, which added an 50 BHP. In the group A period the cars were restricted to 300bhp but most teams ran more power. The FIA quickly moved to ban TTE. Toyota lawyered up, but they were eventually banned for the rest of the 1995 and 1996 season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't care for motorsports but I love the NASCAR story about early cheating where you had a restriction on the size of your gas tank so they took it out of the one guy's car for inspection and I guess he didn't know so he got in his car and drove it away because it had a hidden tank for extra fuel

Shocking that you'd have cheating in a sport that originated in bootlegging

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

It could turn out to be a super interesting thread if the fans of teams discussed stay civil (which some couldn't in the baseball thread which is why we have this one).

Here is a cool video about baseball because baseball is the world's most cheated at sport.

https://youtu.be/8NZoGGryKQo

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
cycling cheating was metal as gently caress. in his book "the secret race" tyler hamilton tells a story from the 2004(?) Tour de france in which the motorcycle driver transporting his rest day blood bag had to dump the bag to avoid being searched, and had to go back and get it later. Of course, a bag of blood sitting out in the summer heat is Not Good but Hamilton was apparently not told that this happened.
So on rest day, Hamilton loads up on the bad blood and spends the rest of the day vomiting and feeling like he is dying. Still clipped in the next day for the stage.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

This one is always going to baffle me. I just don't understand the motivation behind it. The cash prize for winning a Paralympic Game tournament can't be that much, and the gold medals probably have little more value. Did they do it just for fun?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

It could be argued they're the biggest cheaters in baseball, knowing that winning rings and spending money isn't important to the true game of Capitalism, and that as long as they stay put as a non-relegated team in a major sports league, ownership valuation will skyrocket as more and more teams around them are sold

When Bob Nutting bought the Pirates in 1996 he paid $92mil; almost a calendar year ago they were valued at $1.32bil, and next month it'll likely be even higher than that when the new calculations come in. Despite only having 4 winning records/seasons in that time and only one playoff series win to show for it (and that was a full decade ago at this point!)!

Reaping the same financial rewards of all the other rich owners around them, and they don't even need to worry about on-field quality to pull it off. If that's not cheating the system, what is :smug:

close thread now

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As a fan of the Saint Louis Cardinals of Saint Louis Missouri baseball team, I would like to call attention to 2014, when Chris Correa of the Cardinals' front office hacked into an Astros scouting database. Correa pled guilty and was sentenced to about 4 years, while the Cards were penalized about $2m and gave up two 2017 draft picks to the Astros, who used them for Corbin Martin and J.J. Matijevic.

SI has a surprisingly long article on the crime and Correa's time in prison.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

How you gonna tell that story and leave out the Eckstein123 part

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Intruder posted:

How you gonna tell that story and leave out the Eckstein123 part

I'm not familiar with this part. What is this "Eckstein123" part you are referring to?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pungry posted:

I'm not familiar with this part. What is this "Eckstein123" part you are referring to?

Jeff Luhnow came from the Cardinals organization. Correa worked for him, and he "hacked" the Astros by guessing the password to their scouting database was Eckstein123

Or so the story goes anyway, I'm not sure it was ever confirmed

e: from the story

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/cardinals-hack-astros-password-eckstein123/1shab3b697j2r1wli1fju6n99q

quote:

According to court transcripts from the Jan. 8 hearing that were obtained by the Houston Chronicle on Friday, the password of a high-ranking Astros executive, that Correa and his team used to access Astros’ systems, was based on the name of a player “who was scrawny and who would not have been thought of to succeed in the major leagues, but through effort and determination he succeeded anyway."

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 12, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DJExile posted:

There’s a million other examples in racing but Toyota’s European rally team cheat in 95 being so good that it flat out impressed the FIA president is forever my favorite.

This is the GOAT motorsport cheat for me. Better than (technically legal) fan car, better than (technically legal) basketball in the gas tank, better than (technically legal) extra long fuel hose.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

clean ayers act posted:

cycling cheating was metal as gently caress. in his book "the secret race" tyler hamilton tells a story from the 2004(?) Tour de france in which the motorcycle driver transporting his rest day blood bag had to dump the bag to avoid being searched, and had to go back and get it later. Of course, a bag of blood sitting out in the summer heat is Not Good but Hamilton was apparently not told that this happened.
So on rest day, Hamilton loads up on the bad blood and spends the rest of the day vomiting and feeling like he is dying. Still clipped in the next day for the stage.

some lady in a cyclocross U-23 world championship race got caught with a hidden motor in her bike which is hilarious, and led to years of allegations from fans of pros using motors in bikes

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ilmucche posted:

This is the GOAT motorsport cheat for me. Better than (technically legal) fan car, better than (technically legal) basketball in the gas tank, better than (technically legal) extra long fuel hose.

The Ferrari pulsed fuel injection timed to bypass the fuel sensor is a very nice cheat. I like the turbocharged one better just because it's such a mechanically ingenious solution.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

some lady in a cyclocross U-23 world championship race got caught with a hidden motor in her bike which is hilarious, and led to years of allegations from fans of pros using motors in bikes

lol yeah that was wild. also coined the hilarious phrase "mechanical doping"

E: also, im assuming most have seen it, but if not go and watch the netflix documentary "icarus" immediately. the premise is an amateur cyclist trying to see if he can dope during a stage rage and avoid popping positive. but it turns into a wild unveiling of the russian state's doping program in the sochi olympics, which was truly like something out of a KGB spy thriller

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 12, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The only thing the Astros are guilty of is being very aware of what day trash day is and I demand apologies from everyone who wrongly accuse them of cheating frauds.

We could all aspire to be so responsbile as Altuve or Correa.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 13, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They cheated this year too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Kansas City Chiefs cheated in Super Bowl 57.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I am intrigued. What sort of cheats did they do? Did they read the signals the Eagles were putting up?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
In high school baseball we used to figure out a few team's pitch signs each season if the coaches were signaling them in from the dugout, it was like a game within a game for the rest of us between innings if we weren't hitting or on deck.

Looking back it's pretty lovely but I just assume(d) everyone does it too that's why we all use signals and go through the whole process of trying to obfuscate our future intentions.

I think if you cheat you have to just include the guys/girls actually playing the game. Calling out a batter's last name while hes hitting because the backup infielder figured out the pitcher is going to throw a curveball every time the coach touches his hat after his nose is fine but doing the same via camera from center field from a field manager at a table around the corner is like next levels of lovely.

I don't know why it breaks down like this, maybe CTE but there's a distinct line of who's putting in the effort and how.
Also its lovely for a runner to try and relay signs from second base he picks up from the catcher, but I feel like this one is becoming more acceptable amongst the bat flipping generation.

clean ayers act posted:

E: also, im assuming most have seen it, but if not go and watch the netflix documentary "icarus" immediately. the premise is an amateur cyclist trying to see if he can dope during a stage rage and avoid popping positive. but it turns into a wild unveiling of the russian state's doping program in the sochi olympics, which was truly like something out of a KGB spy thriller

Couldn't think of the name when I posted but yes this should be required viewing it's really good.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 13, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pungry posted:

I am intrigued. What sort of cheats did they do? Did they read the signals the Eagles were putting up?

They paid the refs off an obscene amount to call a holding call during a critical moment of the Super Bowl. This was a holding call that was, at best, subjective, and something you could call on every defensive play in football.

Honestly, the Astros wish they could cheat to such an extreme. But alas, baseball does not have the deep coffers that football does.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The defender literally said after the game "I held and hoped they wouldn't call me for it".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kirios posted:

They paid the refs off an obscene amount to call a holding call during a critical moment of the Super Bowl. This was a holding call that was, at best, subjective, and something you could call on every defensive play in football.

Honestly, the Astros wish they could cheat to such an extreme. But alas, baseball does not have the deep coffers that football does.

going to need to see some proof to back that one up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The eagles d cheated themselves out of stopping a one legged qb

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

ilmucche posted:

going to need to see some proof to back that one up

He's loving with you

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Kirios posted:

just part of the script, that's all

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The defender literally said after the game "I held and hoped they wouldn't call me for it".

Right, so like he said, it's every defensive play in football

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

it was cheating when the Chiefs used a receiver in motion in the red zone who doubled back his direction before the snap and confused the Eagles DB and it was double cheating when they did it a second time on the other side of the field. it is cheating because I am personally biased against the Chiefs.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Don't think this thread has gone enough into high school cheating, because you can find some real doozies there.

I'll be damned if I can find a link about it, but when I was a teenager there was semi-national news made by a varsity football parent who sharpened the screws on the front bumper/nameplate of his son's football helmet, and he then taught said son how to hit opponents in the head/neck area screws-first so they'd be knocked out of the game.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:stare: I'm sorry, what

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

the Toyota Celica WRC one is so good because it is clear that they aimed some serious R&D budget at it, absolutely unreal. also, which fan car :v:

there's too many from motorsports to count, could almost do a thread on them alone, but another that was both very smart and promptly banned was McLaren's 'extra' brake pedal in 1997-1998. It was found because a photographer thought it was weird that the rear brake was glowing during cornering.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Nobody does cheating like motorsports does cheating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfq7-1ePW-M

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 14, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One of my favorite articles was one ranking cycling cheaters by how likely fans were to forgive them and its cool how much of that doesn't really have much to do with how blatant the cheating was

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

motorsports cheating is beautiful in that when one team starts mollywoppin' others in certain areas everyone just assumes 'ok, they found a new way to cheat' and that's usually correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

maffew buildings posted:

motorsports cheating is beautiful in that when one team starts mollywoppin' others in certain areas everyone just assumes 'ok, they found a new way to cheat' and that's usually correct

Mercedes never cheated and Lewis is a god OP.