Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sab0921 posted:

Mercedes never cheated and Lewis is a god OP.

FRIC and DAS are both cheating.

[edit] Oil burning is cheating.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

During the Lance Armstrong era, and after, it seems like every other week a new cyclist would be banned for doping, and once it came out that Lance cheated, general fan interest in the sport fell off a cliff and I don't hear much about it anymore. Was that perception wrong at the time, and if not, what's the state of play as regards doping in cycling today?

I live in Austin and this city was Lance loving crazy during his run, and as soon as the doping stuff came out, it vanished as if it never existed. Just mobs of cyclists in full USPS kit riding down my semi-residential street, gone like a puff of wind.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 14, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Armstrong wasn't just cheating, he was effectively using the enormous political power he held in the sport to ruin careers. People basically got blackballed from the sport for speaking out, and Greg Lemond, one of the most beloved cyclists in history, became an object of derision in the American media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filippo_Simeoni

You still hear allegations, though they're in the unconfirmed-rumor category, that he was able to basically order positive tests on guys like Iban Mayo for pissing him off.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ANyway the state of cheating is that there's always a lot of noise and allegations from fans but nowhere near the types of poo poo you saw in like, 2007-2008 as far as positive tests go. There's always debate over whether the sport is actually cleaner or if people are just good at beating tests now.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
David Ortiz is the only roider that I think should have a permanent black mark.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Everyone cheats at cycling - restore Lance's titles IMO since everyone was cheating and he was still better than them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is crazy and I've never heard about it before

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are bizarre social dynamics like that in cycling because for enormous parts of each race everyone is just riding together in a giant group.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i stopped following cycling super closely in like 2016 but at the time the average tour speed was higher than in the lance era and the estimated w/kgs for the contenders were creeping back up towards the 7 w/kg territory , which is what the height of the doping era was. The teams(sky mostly) argued that it was ~marginal gains~ but who knows. there is the argument, which i tend to believe, that the cheaters will always be one step ahead of the controls because it is far more profitable

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

So, there is a mixed martial artist named Michael Bisping. In a 2013 fight, he got kicked in the head by Vitor Belfort (who was on doctor approved testosterone replacement therapy at the time, which is a chapter in UFC history that deserves its own post) and started having a bunch of trouble with his right eye. Nerve damage, it deteriorates, and his eye is totally done. (Nowadays, post-retirement, he has a glass eye on that side).
Now, MMA is not a safe sport by any means, but fighters do have to go through a full physical before every fight. And you are not allowed to fight with only one eye! But Bisping was able to pass all his physicals with a suite of advanced techniques:
- Just telling doctors that he could see instead of actually taking the tests
- Buying a generic eye chart online and memorizing it because all doctor's offices have the same eye chart
- Sometimes he would put up his right hand and cover his right eye, read something, then hold up his left hand and cover his right eye and doctors wouldn't notice he was using the same eye lol He went on to fight 11 times after the Vitor fight and won the UFC Middleweight championship at one point.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Stealth Tiger posted:

So, there is a mixed martial artist named Michael Bisping. In a 2013 fight, he got kicked in the head by Vitor Belfort (who was on doctor approved testosterone replacement therapy at the time, which is a chapter in UFC history that deserves its own post) and started having a bunch of trouble with his right eye. Nerve damage, it deteriorates, and his eye is totally done. (Nowadays, post-retirement, he has a glass eye on that side).
Now, MMA is not a safe sport by any means, but fighters do have to go through a full physical before every fight. And you are not allowed to fight with only one eye! But Bisping was able to pass all his physicals with a suite of advanced techniques:
- Just telling doctors that he could see instead of actually taking the tests
- Buying a generic eye chart online and memorizing it because all doctor's offices have the same eye chart
- Sometimes he would put up his right hand and cover his right eye, read something, then hold up his left hand and cover his right eye and doctors wouldn't notice he was using the same eye lol He went on to fight 11 times after the Vitor fight and won the UFC Middleweight championship at one point.

king

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If you are interested in Cheating in Sports, Australian sportswriter/comedian Titus O'Reilly has written a, (in my opinion), very very good bok on the subject.

Called Cheat: The not so subtle art of conning your way to sporting glory.

For non Aussies, it might be a bit Cricket/Rugby heavy. But it has an awesome chapter on Marseille bribing their way to Champions League glory.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

maniacripper posted:

In high school baseball we used to figure out a few team's pitch signs each season if the coaches were signaling them in from the dugout, it was like a game within a game for the rest of us between innings if we weren't hitting or on deck.

Looking back it's pretty lovely but I just assume(d) everyone does it too that's why we all use signals and go through the whole process of trying to obfuscate our future intentions.

I think if you cheat you have to just include the guys/girls actually playing the game. Calling out a batter's last name while hes hitting because the backup infielder figured out the pitcher is going to throw a curveball every time the coach touches his hat after his nose is fine but doing the same via camera from center field from a field manager at a table around the corner is like next levels of lovely.

I don't know why it breaks down like this, maybe CTE but there's a distinct line of who's putting in the effort and how.
Also its lovely for a runner to try and relay signs from second base he picks up from the catcher, but I feel like this one is becoming more acceptable amongst the bat flipping generation.

None of this is cheating or wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

maniacripper posted:

Also its lovely for a runner to try and relay signs from second base he picks up from the catcher, but I feel like this one is becoming more acceptable amongst the bat flipping generation.

okay grandpa lets get you to bed

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Stealing Signs is a tradition as old as baseball its using stuff other then the players and staff on the fields eyeballs that was the problem.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Lance Armstrong stuff to me is some of the worst stuff ever and the fact that there's been even a centimeter of movement to try to sort of rehab his image or the fact that he isn't booed everywhere he goes just pisses me off. He's true trash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

soggybagel posted:

The Lance Armstrong stuff to me is some of the worst stuff ever and the fact that there's been even a centimeter of movement to try to sort of rehab his image or the fact that he isn't booed everywhere he goes just pisses me off. He's true trash.

i always like this list of cycling cheaters ranked by how likely people are to forgive them because so much of it is just subjective and kind of cool to think about

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/commentary-a-partially-subjective-ranking-of-cyclings-dopers-loved-and-hated/

also Armstrong was a legitimate psycho who went way beyond just doping a bit, he was and likely still is an absolute bully who ruined multiple careers

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I watched part of that ESPN doc on him. It wasn't really image repair, but it was completely clear that Armstrong didn't care that he cheated, didn't feel bad, and went out of his way to blame the entire system before he took a hard look in the mirror. And again, if it was just him cheating I wouldn't really care. It's that he was so vindictive and went out of his way to destroy other people that makes him honestly pretty fascinating.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

One of the reasons Lance Armstrong got caught as badly as he did was that he was such an arsehole in real life that he had people lining up eager to give evidence against him, even if it implicated themselves.

They just hated that prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Australia did their own number one snitch ref bit And spent a lot of money to develop tests for cutting edge doping stuff, so that their olympic athletes could train clean and then have an edge when the new test popped up and caught other countries athletes.

I dunno if that’s still going on