Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Anyhow.. I'm thinking to go to 2122 to try and make the third try the charm against the right turret. I could consider going in closer to 1921, but that would give the Phoenix Hawk some pretty easy shots for not likely a huge gain. .

Scintilla, do I get partial cover from the Phx in 1922? That would get met medium range on the turret at least, so my odds should improve a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Scintilla, do I get partial cover from the Phx in 1922? That would get met medium range on the turret at least, so my odds should improve a lot.

1922 does not grant you partial cover from the Phoenix Hawk.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

I've done some tests and it turns out I can unjam it too. :shrug: The text simply states that the crew fixes a nonspecific malfunction, which makes a lot more sense.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Un-jamming the Laser - Two turret operators furiously scarfing down all the raspberry jam they suddenly found covering the laser.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
OK, locking in 2122 then. I'll have more room to maneuver in case the phx tries to play jump games with me, and otherwise I can just hop between woods as needed.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Treb

Thanks Scintilla for inputting my planned movement despite my not being able to send in orders for that previous turn. Was super jetlagged from my trip and forgot what day it was.

My best move this turn seems to be a run to 1621. Puts me in medium range on the tank, out of LOS for the PHawk, turrets and Centurion, keeps me within two hexes of the Prowler's expected movement to 1422, and exposes me to at worst 5 damage from the Hermes.

Gonna light up that Manticore with two launchers' worth of infernos. Suggest the rest of Goonlance continue to focus fire on the Manticore and turrets since the two leading Mechs have +3 to hit.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Thanks Scintilla for inputting my planned movement despite my not being able to send in orders for that previous turn. Was super jetlagged from my trip and forgot what day it was.

No problem. You helpfully left some thoughts on what you were going to do in the thread, so I simply went with those.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Wolverine

Thinking my move this turn will be to jump to 1523, firing both medium lasers and SRM 6 against the Manticore as well.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Amechwarrior posted:

Un-jamming the Laser - Two turret operators furiously scarfing down all the raspberry jam they suddenly found covering the laser.

Lonestar! :argh:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Holybat posted:

Wolverine

Thinking my move this turn will be to jump to 1523, firing both medium lasers and SRM 6 against the Manticore as well.

Might want to consider 1124 as well, worse shots with the short range stuff but same shots with the large laser, and more than that positions you nicely on that flank for following turns, while I'm on the right and the treb and glad are in the middle.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

Y'know, I'm looking at my options and I think going full aggro and rushing into 1720 for melee with the P-Hawk is actually my best move. The Prowler's hauling rear end so we're basically going to be forced to brawl from next turn onwards anyway, and that spot gives me +3 MM, puts a woods hex between me and the Centurion and Rifleman, and gives me a slim chance to sweep the leg on an enemy jumper after I blast the Manticore with everyone else. Then next turn I run or jump into some of the woods hexes on my right to harass and cool down, or if they preemptively chase me in that direction they're abandoning the road and risking getting pincered and backshot.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Might want to consider 1124 as well, worse shots with the short range stuff but same shots with the large laser, and more than that positions you nicely on that flank for following turns, while I'm on the right and the treb and glad are in the middle.

double EDIT: Yup, I think jumping out to 1124 works this turn, and after rechecking heat effect brackets I'll be shooting off large laser, one medium, and the SRM-6 at the Manticore.

And Dachshundofdoom, sounds like a solid plan for the Gladiator.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 28, 2024

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sadly, "making recon units more useful" just isn't possible. The size of the maps are too small to make scouting for enemies worthwhile and most recon 'Mechs are fast so they can avoid combat.

The best way to run recon is off-board, prior to a fight. You've got a recon unit of some sort, so you scout the enemy in advance (risking a disadvantageous fight with a light recon lance where their primary objective is escape) in exchange for a more advantageous fight with a battle lance. It'd probably have to be up to the thread whether they risk a shallow incursion (lower risk, or maybe an automatic escape for low or no advantage) or a deep incursion (higher risk, more advantage, starts an actual fight between the scout lance and a pursuit lance if they're caught)

One alternative way to make active probe more useful would be to actually use hidden units. Or, more specifically, a hidden unit. Hide a single (or even multiple) 3rd faction truck(s) somewhere on the map and have the active probe give a general direction and a hot / cold. If the active probe unit reveals the truck the players can loot it by moving onto its hex and get some bonus c-bills or something at the end of the mission. 'Mechs with improved sensors could find the truck by accident, but the active probe unit can actively go searching for it.

Giving lights weapons that were augmented by speed and a favorable initiative was how HBS tried, and I think it worked a little? You can't give light mechs shots before the others because two combat resolution phases would, I think, kill whoever is trying to run the game. But you could give lights their own movement phases after the other mech's moves as a sort of advantage, I guess.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Plek posted:

Giving lights weapons that were augmented by speed and a favorable initiative was how HBS tried, and I think it worked a little? You can't give light mechs shots before the others because two combat resolution phases would, I think, kill whoever is trying to run the game. But you could give lights their own movement phases after the other mech's moves as a sort of advantage, I guess.

That's what PTN called/still calls I guess ACE units, where a select few enemies win initiative and get to move AFTER the players, which undeniably makes them much more threatening but is also an absolute nightmare to plan around from the player perspective because you have to mentally map out everywhere they could go in response to your move or risk serving yourself up on a silver platter, not to mention the amount of conditionals you end up adding to your orders isn't fun for the GM either I imagine.

Anyway, locking in 1720 and joining everyone in firing on the Manticore, let's get that thing off the field or at least mobility critted, and fingers crossed I get the kick in the bargain too.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frozen Assets: Turn 3

“Bullseye!” Jenna crowed as the beam of her Large Laser burrowed into the Manticore’s prow. She had been aiming for the scorch mark left by her first shot, and had been gratified to see that the second had overlapped it almost precisely. The beam gouged out more of the heavy tank’s weakened front plate, leaving behind a glowing reddish-orange hole that briefly resembled a hellish cyclopean eye before the freezing air dulled it once again.

Alexander and Charles followed Jenna’s lead, pouring more fire into the wounded vehicle. Charles’s lasers and missiles shredded the Manticore’s treads, but it was Alexander’s Inferno missiles that struck the crippling blow. Vapour billowed as jellied incendiaries spilled over the tank’s turret and sides, the flaming liquid seeming almost to take root as it seeped into every nook and cranny in the vehicle’s rugged chassis. The Manticore lost all power as its engine fatally overheated, its turret and treads locking in place as the tank’s automatic safety mechanisms engaged.

But even as the Manticore slid to a burning halt its own guns delivered a sharp retort. Alexander’s Trebuchet staggered as the heavy tank unleashed its full arsenal upon him. A hail of missiles tore armour from his mech’s chest, but the damage there was mostly superficial, and for a moment Jenna felt a small spark of relief. Then the azure whip of the Manticore’s PPC lashed out, biting deep into the Trebuchet’s left leg. The shot caught the mech mid-stride, throwing its centre of gravity off just enough that its gyro could not correct in time. Alexander fell heavily, his Trebuchet thudding limply into the ground like a street thug whose skull had been cracked by a baseball bat.

“C’mon, Tusk. You can’t be sleeping this early.” Jenna joked. Seconds ticked by, but there was no response. Jenna frowned, wondering if the damage had been more serious than it looked.

“Tusk, confirm status. Are you having mobility issues?”

Still no response. A cold feeling began to well up from the pit of Jenna’s stomach. Alexander’s Trebuchet lay totally still, without even a hint of movement. The mech’s joints had locked, which was a safety feature that engaged whenever a mechwarrior’s neurohelmet feed was interrupted. That meant he was either unconscious, or…

“Tusk, please respond!” Jenna demanded, fear and panic bleeding into her voice. Her stomach twisted again as the enemy Phoenix Hawk swooped down and landed in a patch of frozen woodland barely a hundred metres away from where Alexander had fallen. The heavy scout instantly turned in his direction, the barrel of its Large Laser tracking towards the motionless Trebuchet.

“Alex, get up! Alex? Alex!”

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) turned while flanking on pavement (Hex 1824); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 10, rolls 10: Hits Front! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 8 damage to Front, 26/42 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 12, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 12, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Front! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Front, 21/42 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
-Chance For Motive System Damage! Moderate Damage, +2 driving skill penalty and -1MP!
-Fires SRM-6 at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 10: 4 Missiles Hit! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 2 damage to Left Side (31/33 Armour remaining), Rear (24/26 Armour remaining (Motive System Hit!)), Left Side (29/33 Armour remaining (CFMSD!)) and Left Side (27/33 Armour remaining (Through Armour Critical!)).
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Minor Damage, +1 driving skill penalty!
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Heavy Damage, +3 driving skill penalty, MP Halved!
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Crew Stunned!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 11: Hits! Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms) takes 10 damage, 20/30 CF remaining. Turret Damage Threshold Exceeded! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Large Laser damaged!
-Fires LRM-5 at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 4, rolls 12: 3 Missiles Hit! Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms) takes 3 damage, 17/30 CF remaining.

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player):
-Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 9: 3 Missiles Hit! Inferno missiles hit Left Side, Rear and Turret!
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! No Critical Hits sustained.
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! One Critical Hit Sustained! Engine Destroyed, Vehicle Immobilised!
--Critical Chance in Vehicle Interior! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Left Side! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 22/33 Armour remaining.

--

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Allied):
-Fires PPC at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 3, rolls 2: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 3, rolls 3: 8 Missiles Hit! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) takes 8 damage, 6/30 CF remaining. Turret Damage Threshold Exceeded! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Turret jams!

Weapons fire for Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied):
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Left Side! Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 17/33 Armour remaining. Motive System Hit!
--Chance For Motive System Damage! Heavy Damage, +3 driving skill penalty, MP Halved!
-Fires SRM-4 at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Griffin GRF-1N[/b] (Allied); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Griffin GRF-1N[/b] (Allied); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 12, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 12, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Large Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 8, rolls 10: Hits Left Leg! Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) takes 10 damage to Left Leg, 5/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 10, rolls 11: 5 Missiles Hit! Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Torso (17/19 Armour remaining), Right Torso (17/19 Armour remaining), Right Arm (8/10 Armour remaining), Right Torso (15/19 Armour remaining) and Left Torso (15/19 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms):
-Crew repairs weapon malfunction in Large Laser.

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 10, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Piloting checks for Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player):
-Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 4: Fails!
-Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) falls on its right, suffering 5 damage to Left Torso, 10/19 Armour remaining.
--Pilot Alexander Hanh must roll 6+ to avoid damage. Rolls 4: Fails! Pilot Hit!
---Alexander Hanh (Trebuchet TBT-5Sr) has taken 1 damage this turn! Must pass a consciousness test to avoid blacking out! Target is 3+, rolls 2: Fails! Alexander Hanh blacks out!

Physical Attacks for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Kicks Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Left Leg! Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) takes 11 damage to Left Leg, 4/15 Armour remaining.

--

Piloting checks for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Was Kicked: needs 5, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 18 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 4 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 5 heat. Overheating!

--

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) gains 11 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) is planning on standing still next turn.

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) is planning on flanking to Hex 1318 next turn.

Player Status

Ally Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Infantry: Dig In: Infantry units can dig in, sacrificing the ability to move in exchange for removing the ‘caught in the open’ penalty.
-Infantry: Harsh Weather Training: The infantry unit has been trained to operate in harsh environments and suffers no penalties due to extreme temperatures.
-Infantry: Sprint: Infantry units can sprint, moving an additional hex in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Rapid Autocannons: The pilot can fire an additional shot with standard and light autocannons. However, the shot will have a +1 accuracy penalty, and the weapon will jam on a roll of 2. If the gun does jam, it will remain unusable for the duration of combat.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.
-Sniper: Modifiers for all range brackets are halved.
-Toughness: Grants a -1 bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Armoured Cowl: Provides 3 additional armour points against attacks from the rear or side of the mech’s head.
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Improved Targeting (Short): The mech receives a -1 bonus when firing at close range.

--

Primary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of Minister for Trade and Industry Paul Montagne.
Objective B: Once Objective A is achieved, either ensure Mason Voyce successfully retreats from the battlefield or destroy or drive off all enemy combatants.
Objective C: Etienne Decimis must survive.

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (0/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (0/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (0/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 2nd 9:00PM GMT.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Uh oh.

For someone who’s never played Battetech, can he wake up? Or is that just our side down one mech from incredibly bad luck knocking him on the head?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

He needs a 3+ to wake up, so it is bad this turn but not forever.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Treb

Welp, those were some poo poo dice rolls.

On the bright side, I'm in a position where only the PHawk can fire on me since the Manticore's stunned this coming turn. Given it jumped 6, it can't really alpha me without melting itself down so I just gotta worry about either one LL or 2 MLs hitting me. Let's see how that goes.

Scintilla, 2 questions:
1. Even with the engine wrecked, the Manticore can still shoot once the crew recovers?
2. No point in me sending in orders this turn since I'm not moving until I (hopefully) roll to wake up at the end of the turn, right?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Scintilla, 2 questions:
1. Even with the engine wrecked, the Manticore can still shoot once the crew recovers?
2. No point in me sending in orders this turn since I'm not moving until I (hopefully) roll to wake up at the end of the turn, right?

1. The Manticore's energy weapons are permanently disabled and its turret is locked in the frontal position. It cannot fire anything next turn, but the turn after it will be able to fire its missile weapons at anything in its frontal arc.
2. This is correct.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The curse of the 6 continues

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alright then, I think this upcoming turn's priorities are clear:

1. Since I'm in enforced naptime, someone else is gonna have to move within two hexes of 1319 which is where the Prowler will end up this coming turn since the Manticore's in the way.
2. Both turrets could potentially go down this turn - if we can do that, that's some much-needed heat off the Prowler's back.
3. The Manticore should probably still get some attention since it can start firing again next turn - maybe shoot up its damaged left side some more and prolong the stunned status?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Frozen Assets: Turn 3
-Fires LRM-10 at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 3, rolls 3: 8 Missiles Hit! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) takes 8 damage, 6/30 CF remaining. Turret Damage Threshold Exceeded! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Turret jams!

-Crew repairs weapon malfunction in Large Laser.
Shouldn't they have only repaired the weapon jamming from last turn, meaning the laser should still be jammed?

Also, the streak of bad dice rolls continues: missed two more sixes, missed a four and two threes!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

DTurtle posted:

Shouldn't they have only repaired the weapon jamming from last turn, meaning the laser should still be jammed?

Weirdly, the repair message popped up during Turn 3's firing phase, so that's where I put it. :shrug: This time the turret itself got jammed rather than the laser, so it can still fire, just not rotate.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
This is very unideal, especially since the Trebuchet already has one of the lighter armor loads out of all our units. As much as I'd like to send someone back to protect the Trebuchet I think the better play is to push forward.

For our Prowler Guard this turn, our only real options are the Wolverine and the Gladiator. Both of them can make the jump and both are well armored, but of course, leaping out there will put them in danger and bring them closer to the enemy.

Outside of that, I do suggest we try bringing the turrets down this turn but this is a tough mission to plan for I admit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Those are some not great dice lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The dice giveth, and the dice taketh away

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The right turret's weapon itself got crit, so it's harmless at least. The PHX position is very unfortunate, jumping in to woods makes it almost impossible to hit. I could try kicking it from a higher level but that will needs an 8 to hit. Shooting it is virtually impossible for me too. I plan to hit the centurion while giving the kick a try.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

The right turret's weapon itself got crit, so it's harmless at least. The PHX position is very unfortunate, jumping in to woods makes it almost impossible to hit. I could try kicking it from a higher level but that will needs an 8 to hit. Shooting it is virtually impossible for me too. I plan to hit the centurion while giving the kick a try.

drat some real peaks and valley this last turn. I'm not in a position to be able to get hits on the vulnerable left side of the Manticore and that Phoenix Hawk is an impossible target due to that TN, so I think my move will be to jump out to 1119 and fire on the Centurion this turn as well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
At this point probably worth running instead of jumping so you get the better shots. Now's the time to do damage vs playing evasive imo.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Ah yeah I miscounted the level changes, thought I was 1 MP short of the goal, so yeah running to 1119 works

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gladiator

Oof, glad the Manticore's mostly disabled but that's bad news for the Trebuchet. Nevertheless there's nothing we can do but keep forcing them to split their fire up as much as we can, and to that end I'm currently planning to go to 1414 and backshot the Centurion. Can't melee from there but it's +3 MM and positions me to complicate pretty much everything for the OpFor next turn, including the possibility of just running in there and ending that Rifleman's entire career.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just caught up after finding guys thread early this week. My first exposure to the TT battle tech rules, and I'm loving it and the whole campaign narrative.

It's not healthy for me though it's making me want to fire Battletech up again and pickup my BTXCE (or whatever the less grognardy mega mod pack is) run

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, who's playing Prowler bodyguard this turn?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Is it possible to order Etienne to jump forward and do it this round? Time to put on your big robot pants and get shot at a little bit for real. Standing there isn't really doing any good.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

From 1119 I'm within the 3 hex bubble of where the Prowler is going, so the escort will be covered this upcoming turn.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Is it possible to order Etienne to jump forward and do it this round? Time to put on your big robot pants and get shot at a little bit for real. Standing there isn't really doing any good.

If you want him to move forwards that's fine, but at Mason's current pace he won't be able to catch up for some time.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It's fine, first of all I was incorrectly assuming allied NPCs would show movement intent in the enemy movement map so I thought that was where they would be next turn, and second Holybat's got 'em covered at the new spot. Orders to go to 1414 and backshot the Centurion are in.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think Etienne is good to camp out in 1024, but it doesn't have to be this turn that he needs to jump there. If I were playing him I'd probably sit still and fire only the PPC this turn, and then jump + shoot again next turn.

I'm going to stand still and shoot the Cent with the rest of you all for myself.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frozen Assets: Turn 4

The Centurion weathered Sable Lance’s combined attack with an uncompromising stoicism. Even as missiles thudded against its back and flickering beams of energy carved livid red lines across its front, the machine remained stubbornly upright. The mech simply planted its tree-trunk legs apart and leant forwards, becoming as immovable as a boulder in the middle of a surging river. Not even a corkscrewing SRM striking it in the back of the head was enough to shake its mechwarrior’s resolve. As Sable Lance’s assault slackened, the Centurion returned fire, targeting every single one of its attackers as if it intended to take them all on singlehandedly.

Yukiko gritted her teeth as a flight of LRMs pummelled her Shadow Hawk’s armour, but her irritation quickly gave way to respect. The Centurion’s pilot had the stubborn self-assurance of a hardened warrior, and she respected that if nothing else. Her father had once said that an unyielding will was the mark of a true samurai. It was, to this day, the only time that Yukiko had ever agreed with him. She tracked the Centurion while waiting for her PPC’s capacitor to recharge, watching as it retreated a few paces to brace its damaged rear armour against the meteorological facility’s storm wall.

As the Centurion raised its guns again Alexander’s groggy voice filled the comms. “Agh. gently caress. What… what did I miss?”

“Alex!” Jenna exclaimed, then continued, in a more reserved voice, “Not much. You’ve been out for about ten, fifteen seconds. You better get up before the Phoenix Hawk finishes you.”

Alexander coughed. His Trebuchet shuddered and began to rise slowly. “Goddamn it. Can’t believe I fell on my rear end and KO’d myself half a minute in. Thank God Prince Assface didn’t see.”

“Actually I saw every second,” Etienne replied in a totally deadpan voice. “I look forward to replaying that section of the BattleROM. Repeatedly. Over my grandfather’s planetwide public broadcast system.”

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) turned while flanking on pavement (Hex 1322); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Left Torso! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 10 damage to Left Torso, 7/17 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM-5 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 8: 3 Missiles Hit! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 3 damage to Left Torso, 4/17 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 19/24 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Left Arm! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 11/16 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Rear Left Torso! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage to Rear Left Torso, 2/7 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms); needs 9, rolls 9: 5 Missiles Hit! Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (22/24 Armour remaining), Left Arm (9/16 Armour remaining), Head (7/9 Armour remaining (Pilot Hit!)), Rear Left Torso (0/7 Armour remaining) and Rear Left Torso (10/12 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)).
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player):
-Mechwarrior unconscious, unable to fire!

--

-Fires PPC at Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Right Leg! Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) takes 10 damage to Right Leg, 4/14 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied):
-Fires Medium Laser at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits! Large Laser Turret (Single) (Silver Phantoms) takes 5 damage, 1/30 CF remaining. Turret Damage Threshold Exceeded! Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret Interior! One Critical Hit sustained! Large Laser jams!
-Fires Medium Laser at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 10: Hits Right Arm! Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) takes 3 damage to Right Arm, 12/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 7, rolls 10: 6 Missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Arm (11/16 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Right Leg (15/16 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Allied); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1N (Allied); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Arm! Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 9/14 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 4, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) takes 8 damage to Right Leg, 7/15 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 6, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Head! Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) takes 5 damage to Head, 4/9 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!

Weapons fire for Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms):
-Fires Large Laser at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires AC/5 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Manticore Heavy Tank (Silver Phantoms):
-Crew stunned, unable to fire!

- Fires Large Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Centre Torso! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 8 damage to Centre Torso, 16/25 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) #2 (Silver Phantoms):
-Has no useable weapons!

--

Piloting checks for Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms):
-Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 12: Succeeds!

--

Apollo Brenner (Centurion CN9-AL) has taken 1 damage this turn! Must pass a consciousness test to avoid blacking out! Target is 3+, rolls 11: Succeeds!

No melee attacks this turn!

Subtracting 2 heat from all units due to Arctic Conditions…

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5Sr (Player) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 4 heat.

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) gains 8 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 1 heat.

--

Centurion CN9-AL (Silver Phantoms) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hermes II HER-2S (Silver Phantoms) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Silver Phantoms) gains 18 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 8 heat. Overheating!

Rifleman RFL-3N (Silver Phantoms) gains 8 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Alexander Hanh (Trebuchet TBT-5Sr) needs a 5+ to wake up. Rolls 11: Succeeds!

--

Griffin GRF-1N (Allied) is planning on jumping to Hex 1424 next turn.

Prowler MTV (Snow) (Allied) is planning on flanking to Hex 1312 next turn.

Player Status

Ally Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Infantry: Dig In: Infantry units can dig in, sacrificing the ability to move in exchange for removing the ‘caught in the open’ penalty.
-Infantry: Harsh Weather Training: The infantry unit has been trained to operate in harsh environments and suffers no penalties due to extreme temperatures.
-Infantry: Sprint: Infantry units can sprint, moving an additional hex in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Rapid Autocannons: The pilot can fire an additional shot with standard and light autocannons. However, the shot will have a +1 accuracy penalty, and the weapon will jam on a roll of 2. If the gun does jam, it will remain unusable for the duration of combat.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.
-Sniper: Modifiers for all range brackets are halved.
-Toughness: Grants a -1 bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Armoured Cowl: Provides 3 additional armour points against attacks from the rear or side of the mech’s head.
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso to threaten an additional hex.
-Improved Targeting (Short): The mech receives a -1 bonus when firing at close range.

--

Primary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of Minister for Trade and Industry Paul Montagne.
Objective B: Once Objective A is achieved, either ensure Mason Voyce successfully retreats from the battlefield or destroy or drive off all enemy combatants.
Objective C: Etienne Decimis must survive.

Secondary Objectives:
Objective A: Facilitate the arrest of at least 30 auctiongoers (0/30) (50,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective B: Facilitate the arrest of at least 60 auctiongoers (0/60) (100,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective C: Facilitate the arrest of all 100 auctiongoers (0/100) (150,000 C-Bill Reward)
Objective D: Destroy or drive off all enemy combatants (200,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 6th 9:00PM GMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Scintilla posted:

Alexander coughed. His Trebuchet shuddered and began to rise slowly. “Goddamn it. Can’t believe I fell on my rear end and KO’d myself half a minute in. Thank God Prince Assface didn’t see.”

“Actually I saw every second,” Etienne replied in a totally deadpan voice. “I look forward to replaying that section of the BattleROM. Repeatedly. Over my grandfather’s planetwide public broadcast system.”

This got a solid laugh out of me. Coming around on prince assface a little