Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Kablooey posted:

What does the rugged quirk do?

Mech needs less maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doubly so if you're doing a planetary raid contract where you only have field maintenance facilities

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're perfectly serviceable as an expensive hard to maintain alternative to the wild weasel

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Foo posted:

iirc megamek uses a mersenne twister

Having started using megamek for the first time a couple days ago, I've decided the RNG is based around "what would be the most maddening". Mechwarrior with 2 piloting seems to make about 40% of their unmodified PSRs. I've started warehousing dozens of actuators.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obviously Black Knights need to be excluded from the mobility kill rule

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

aniviron posted:

I was wondering about that. My tabletop experience is limited to one-shots so I genuinely have no idea how Thabo is doing. He might hold a grudge, too; though it'd beat being dispossessed.

That's why you recruit him and put him back in the Treb

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Warhammer

Oops, should've double-checked my heat, now I'm a 3/5. It's fine, I'll still take my shots on Preston from 2311, I just won't have +2 movemod. If he was just a little more beat up I'd consider backing up to 1916 instead and gambling on taking him out to permanently silence the Dropship, but this is Battletech, you can never safely assume a kill is confirmed.

Does the hill not block 1916 from the ship?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

biosterous posted:

i can't think of a good edit to do for the "i'm a genius / oh no!" meme for preston. my subconscious is insisting there's a good joke there, somewhere, but won't let me actually find it

He just wanted to tell you about another settlement

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Time to update mekhq with all the Urbpocalypse variants from RT

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

evilmiera posted:

Is there an Urbanmech Superheavy yet?

The DevastatUrb

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scintilla posted:

Well, it looks like this mission is ending with a bang.

I assume this was every mech that said they were playing it safe this turn

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The fuel depot is the real mvp

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

glwgameplayer posted:

It’s one of those things where it makes sense that a Mechwarrior could be injured for months at a time after taking a heavy hit. Even with the advanced tech there’s only so fast a broken arm can be healed, or a prosthetic can be attached, god forbid you throw in internal injuries or coolant poisoning

But on the other hand it would be really lame if we filled up the medbay due to raw attrition and had to take a few weeks off just to heal.

Eh, the healing rate has a caveat too: It's largely based on how many wounds you took. One or two hits and you're likely to end up with a scratched abdomen that heals quick. I had a pilot take 5 and not die and he was out for 180 days with multiple broken limbs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've always been a fan of the mekhq option to pay for salvage overages. Made me feel less bad about grabbing that marauder that suddenly showed up in the last mission of a contract

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheParadigm posted:

Also how much is 4xp acutally worth? like, what can you buy with that?

Nothing, it's 5xp to buy a new skill even

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Amechwarrior posted:

So, how much will 2 new recruits cost us by the way? How big of an impact will they have the on bottom line if they end up being sidelined 90% of the time?

Assuming the salary stuff in MekHQ wasn't modified a ton, pilots are actually fairly cheap.

The thing I question for getting too many of the pirates was that there was talk of having standbys make their own characters so there was some reason to not stuff the roster

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've not had any issues with 49.13 or 14 (at least nothing that wasn't also an issue in 48, like princess vs low gravity). I haven't turned on the new stratcon in 0.49.14 yet tho, so I can't speak to that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mekhq has a button that ups the ac damage to help it out. 3/6/12 maybe (can't recall if the 20s were changed). I didn't set it because princess likes putting 27 vedettes in every mission, but it's there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Pom posted:

Marauder II :love:

To bad it'll be like 3050 before we can claw them out of the dragoons hands

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Foo posted:

this is haraam

Whatever you say Kerensky, Amaris doesn't play by your rules!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Even in roguetech the only one I ever have use for is the one with railguns

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

anakha posted:

Scintilla, could you elaborate further on what the various Command Rights values are in these contracts? Do they have an impact on decision-making during battles?

Just from the MekHQ definition: House and Liason both mean the employer determines which of your forces are deployed to any given mission, and Liason means you'll have a employer liason mech with you that needs to survive or you lose contract status. Independent is what it says on the tin, you determine which forces you send, and the employer is pretty hands off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And if you are playing AtB Liason and Independent are fine, avoid House contracts because they're big fans of "There's a company of assault mechs attacking a civilian outpost, you must defend! Who to send... assault lance, no, second assault lance, no, wait, what's this, four Wasp LAMs? That''ll do. Go destroy 80% of the enemy forces before they kill the three fuel trucks and one machine gun turret that you have for support"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SIGSEGV posted:

I suppose that's the sort of thing you can GM edit?

Technically you don't even need to, all AtB says is "Second Battalion, First Company, Alpha Lance" is assigned, nothing stops you from changing the mechs in that lance around

Or just making Steiner scout lances in the first place so it doesn't matter what they choose

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The big downside to C that I'm seeing is it's a planetary raid. Means you're going to have minimal support and your techs are going to be tossing ropes over tree branches to hoist your mechs up for repair

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The real pro to working for Kurita is getting all of Steiner's sweet sweet Flashmans

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Mercenary Review Board. It's basically just a ComStar run binding arbitration committee that rules against the big houses about as often as the real world versions rule against their controlling corporations.

It's biggest benefit is the prisoner exchange and bonding services so a properly registered company can get pows back.

And obviously if you get your mrb rating up you can get juicier contracts, but don't expect it to save you if Davion decides that sacrificing your company is in it's best interest

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

glwgameplayer posted:

And like that, I am now deathly afraid of whatever skill that is. I know that's probably an extremely rare case but. Why would you use an attack that has a chance to lob your arm off?

Zweihander
Pilot's two-handed attack in front arc inflicts extra damage, but it risks falling if fails to impact and can damage the BattleMech arms if attack hits

So lose the arm if you hit, fall over if you miss. Win/Win really.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, at 4/5 you just want base skill, way cheaper and more meaningful. Gets a little more murky once you're in a vehicle for life, like getting lrm20 spec as an archer pilot

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

painedforever posted:

We're pretty far from WoB or Clanner times, aren't we?

Sterling needs to get working on Sterling Jr "pretty far"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All of mine become 4P very quickly

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obviously, if it were a serious suggestion you'd use it as an improvised melee weapon

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Vehicles get bogged down in mud all the time, and running+turning in mud would routinely rip mech legs off, but the only time I've seen a mech get the actual bogged down status is when they jump into mud

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scintilla posted:

Man, Wolverines have a terrible habit of falling over in this LP.

It's one of the reasons I always raise my eyebrow on tier rankings that put wolverines so high. That -1 piloting hurts

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rorahusky posted:

Wait, but like... how???? How do you break a 'Mech's Cockpit by doing repair work on its leg??

Clearly you've never played rimworld

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Pom posted:

So the 'Mech equivalent of running serpentine? I like it!

I wasn't picturing Jeanne as looking like Alan Arkin

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Kablooey posted:

I think all our 'mechs have to make it for it to count as a victory, right? if so there's no choice now whether to slug it out, at least to cover for the MAD

Yep, Primary objective is 4/4 escape

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gnoman posted:

Without freeform refitting, that might be less true. Most of the heavy mechs available at the start of the Reunification War aren't that great - apart from the Catapult, Warhammer, and Archer, they're kind of undergunned for their size.

Black knights were also in production, be a pretty rare thing in 3015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Eagerly awaiting the GLH-1D. Irreplaceable double heatsinks and even with them it's slow and produces 14 more heat than it can sink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Dervish unironically did a death from above, that should be worth -1 MVP vote