Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Count me as another from the announcement. I like your writing Scintilla, it fills out the setting nicely, and the beloved Battletech references are fun.

Might as well chime in with my music choice too, I got caught up on the thread while listening to the Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp87Jc6k1w4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Voting Nekomata for critting the SRM out of the Javelin on turn 1; between that and the CT hit from Sable with the Wolverine, it gave Sable Lance all the momentum in the fight. The Javelin was basically out of the fight from the get-go, which really let the players press their advantage.

Space Kablooey posted:

As for the OpFor, Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, for the coordination on Turn 4, and for the headshot on the Wolverine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

Grab the shadowhawk and we’ll want to rework it to not carry a drat ac/5

Good call, I think this is the play. We can stick an AC2 in there instead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, that's always my reaction to too. "Ha, a Cicada! Oh, it's a 3C, drat."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Kai-xi Yeoung smiled like a tiger as the Cicada sprinted away, smoke leaking from several large holes in its rear armour. Three quarters of Ruby Lance had poured their fire into it, and at least one of their shots had hit something important. The big bug stumbled as it ran, lurching from side to side like a drunkard staggering home after too many Timbiquis.

As Kai-xi turned to pursue he spotted movement on one of his secondary monitors. Glancing at it, he saw that a platoon of infantry had dug into a small hillock below the ridge.

“Fools,” he sighed, casting a pitying gaze down at the tiny figures. “This is the chessboard of the gods. Ants like you don’t belong here. Scurry off before somebody stomps on you.”

Defying his words, the infantrymen opened fire. Kai-xi laughed derisively as their needle-thin laser beams stabbed at the air around his Locust. These ants actually thought they could hurt him! “Don’t even bother!” he sneered. “You can’t kill me. No one can!”

Fate had always protected Kai-xi. At five years old, he had accidentally eaten poisonous berries from his uncle’s garden, but miraculously suffered no ill effects. Three years later, while playing on the roof of his parents’ apartment, he had slipped and fallen nearly forty feet, but survived with only mild bruising. As a teenager, a friend had dared him to climb into the Megasaur enclosure in the Ningbo Municipal Zoo. Once inside, he had found himself face to face with Huang Long, the Zoo’s prized Salutaris Rex. Despite its fearsome reputation, the beast had not attacked, and Kai-xi had been able to climb back out unharmed.

These incidents, and many others, had proven to Kai-xi beyond all doubt that he was special. Misfortune rarely touched him, and what pain he did suffer was always mild. When he was in trouble, the world itself bent to ensure his safety. Nothing could truly harm him, and in turn Kai-xi feared nothing at all. Like the boon heroes and demigods of ancient myth, he had been blessed with immortality.

Lesser men scoffed at Kai-xi’s pretensions. They called him a solipsist, or a modern-day Icarus who would one day go down in flames. Kai-xi paid them no mind. They were bit-characters, mindless extras in the grand narrative of his life. Their doubts would only make his future triumphs more glorious.

This is a fun piece of writing. I always look forward to the updates.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla posted:

I imagine it having Slenderman-style long arms and fingers.

When it reaches melee range, it doesn't punch its enemies. It just reaches out and... strokes them. Very gently.

drat, and I thought your description of infantry getting slaughtered was harrowing; this is something else. Filename is appropriate here.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Featherless: ✅
Biped: ✅

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Gary laughed bitterly as his cockpit canopy blew open. Once again, he had taken the easy option.

Aw man, how come you've gotta make me feel bad for Gary like this? :negative:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ah, man, I haven't read any of the Battletech books but of the Shadowrun novels Charrette's were always the best (of an admittedly spotty bunch). Maybe now is the time to crack this one open.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ilmucche posted:

What are the best e-readers? The internet seems split on opinion

If you mean software for a device, I highly recommend Calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/

If you mean a dedicated tablet, I like my kindle well enough but prefer Calibre except when traveling.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Welcome back!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Stinger didn't sway this fight much either, to be fair.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I love that the salvage portraits remain craters. Just imagining the salvage crews out there digging a rectangle out of the dirt and hauling a crater back to the mech yards.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Panther does get jets, which can be just as good as being fast, in the right environment.

Also it's way cooler, which by default makes it a better mech.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Just find a nice beach, drop the side doors and have a Crab Rave

Good post/avatar combo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The intro sets the mood wonderfully, looking forward to this one.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

"So I was having one of those nights you know, laying awake in bed and thinking about the really deep stuff, and I thought, 'What if the Blackjack wasn't dogshit?' There are plenty of other good 45 ton mechs, what if we just, I dunno, took the bad weapons off and put good ones on it?"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

Objective: Indulge Pyromania

Oh those silly Firestarter pilots...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Those mechs attract a specific kind of pilot. By the way aniviron, do you have PM's? You're at the top of the pilot list for the next scenario and I need some way to contact you to send you the rules primers and other stuff.

Afraid I don't have PMs, which is why I didn't volunteer - I know it's a hassle to try and coordinate things offsite.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

Hahaha i love that ammunition depleted warning on the blackjack

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

glwgameplayer posted:

I am now imagining a mech just, stomping up and down on a tank. Over and over again

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Locust stamping on a Demolisher - forever.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

Pilot: Nathan Howell
Mood: Euphoric

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Death is understandable, but dispossession? That's just cruel.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It gets worse??? :ohdear:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

omg congrats Harathi!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was wondering about that. My tabletop experience is limited to one-shots so I genuinely have no idea how Thabo is doing. He might hold a grudge, too; though it'd beat being dispossessed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Felled by a Hunchback's notorious & fearsome weapon: A medium laser.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

painedforever posted:

Well, at least the Firestarter pilot survived. MVP, right there.

Oh yeah definite recruitment material.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

War is harrowing. That fuel tank had a family!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This turn's writeup is worthy of any FASA novel.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla does a really good job of turning the dry text output of, "hit a punch, missed a punch, failed a roll to stay upright on a kick" into something pretty compelling. It's fun!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hell yeah, nice work on a well-executed decapitation strat. Hopefully the rest will go quietly, but who knows? The Stinger felt the need to fire this turn.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You'd think the Stinger knows when to quit at least, since Harathi ran from the last fight too. Maybe the prospect is less appealing when facing capture.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well Battletech is an 80s setting...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What a way to end it. Glad Harathi survived, even if S&S doesn't pick him up. Really pulling for the guy.

Voting the Hunchback as MVP not just for the judo but also for the triple TAC kill on the Treb; it might have been defanged by then, but it certainly put a stop to it being a further nuisance in style.

Speaking of that Treb, voting enemy Trebuchet MVP for the very scary inferno play it made early on. It didn't work out, but I think things could have played out very differently.

Nicely done to all the players, and a wonderful read as always Scintilla.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I like Vraman, he's had a tough run so far but might smooth out into a decent pilot for us. Comedy vote for Howell because he was the only opfor pilot to complete his objective last mission. I'm sure nothing could go wrong hiring a pilot like that when he has no outlet for his mania.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too am a big fan of the new Jenner, looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Abstaining on the Shadowhawk, the 2K is clearly better but I don't really have an opinion on whether it's worth the cost, plus I have always found the SHD endearingly lovely. Vote yes on the Locust upgrade though, the opportunity cost is negligible and it's a better variant.