Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sure, sign me up. Been on a BT kick lately and haven’t played MegaMek in quite some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh yeah pm sent

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Is single leg destruction = mission kill a house rule here? Usually it takes both legs to count as a kill

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

Losing one leg counts as a mission kill, yes. It streamlines combat a bit while also giving more opportunities for the players to obtain viable salvage.

Cool, sounds solid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

Voting for Otter Madness/Alexander Hahn/Stinger STG-3G for blowing up that SRM20 bin, mostly for the fireworks. Shame about the salvage, though.

As for the OpFor, Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, for the coordination on Turn 4, and for the headshot on the Wolverine.

Amechwarrior posted:

Same,

Voting for the STG taking down an entire WTH-1 with a lucky TAC and not getting hit. OPFOR, the SHD for dealing some damage before it went out.

nth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grab the shadowhawk and we’ll want to rework it to not carry a drat ac/5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aniviron posted:

Good call, I think this is the play. We can stick an AC2 in there instead.

:tizzy:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Koorisch posted:

It's kind of amazing that *none* of the Great Houses decided to stick a Large Laser on that AC/5 mount instead and use the saved tonnage for something else.

I know, it’s the obvious fix!!

That being said, we should probably repair it and work on getting a 5k kit if we’re not able to do custom modifications with our tech levels

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh god i'm in a locust at least i can get +3 at almost every round and there's no pulse lasers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uhhh what are the requirements for "capture" or do we just need to mission-kill the opfor and that'll be that?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haha light mechs go wrrr

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

Yep, basically you destroy / drive off the pirate units and the base will surrender.

sounds good, boss

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Combo flamers is a great house rule!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Machine guns and flamers are very good Vs infantry!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cicada looks like the biggest gun on the board but it also shouldn't be able to see us for a turn, at least, if i remember my LOS rules correctly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

looks like i should be able to reach 0913 to give me partial cover against most incoming fire, get shots on the galleon, and stay out of los of the cicada

e: (1022-1017 5MP, 1017-1016 2MP [level change], 1016-1013 3MP, 1013-0913 2MP [facing change] = 12MP)

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 9, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Yep, that also sets you up for moving to 0510 and possibly as far in as 0508 for a +3, next turn as you'll be facing left in 0913.

yep, or lots of flexibility into the hills for los/range purposes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

looks like i should be able to reach 0913 to give me partial cover against most incoming fire, get shots on the galleon, and stay out of los of the cicada

e: (1022-1017 5MP, 1017-1016 2MP [level change], 1016-1013 3MP, 1013-0913 2MP [facing change] = 12MP)

okay i'm gonna let this simmer for a bit but I think it's going to be my order unless we come up with a new plan

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i think pushing to the middle and then having the LCTs (LCT #1 here) get into the cicada's business with a leftwards flank might make sense? gotta look out for the jets on the stinger, though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

This is correct; smoke is generated during the End Phase, which occurs after shooting has been resolved. Also, flamers require a 4+ roll to ignite terrain, while Medium Lasers require a 7+. Machine Guns can also ignite terrain, but require a more challenging 9+.

are fires rolled to start on missed shots on enemy, or only on deliberate terrain targeting?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

I have a feeling the CDA will walk at least to 0709 next turn, because that will give it range to the whole valley and not give it a penalty for shooting. Right now I'm not too worried about us being in the open because it can't fire right due to the Lvl2 hill chain blocking LoS IIRC. I'm liking the idea to jump to 1221, it's out of range of the GAL and I could rush the CDA up with the JNR next turn.

also if it's at 0709 i can't quite get to rear arc, i don't think

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Slavvy posted:

Just found this rad thread, I've played all the video games but know nothing about the tabletop so this is really cool.

I'm surprised the cicada has a PPC, that seems like crazy firepower for the size. Then again the original mechcommander had a firestarter variant with a PPC.

Not much to add, cool thread!

in the weight bracket, i think your primary options for a ppc are the cicada and a panther?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Ruby Lance - What's our course of action? We flanking left all together or try and keep the center/split up? We've all been able to chime in, but I want to be sure before I submit my order.

I'm submitting my 0913 move above.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

And we’re far from that era of tech

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ilmucche posted:

Oh sorry, I've be running on the assumption the cicada will walk to 0709 or run to like 0810 or 0610 to start shooting at us.

Forgot we get a full round of move and shoot before they can move at all.

yeah, we always win init which is a huge advantage

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gotta do some poking about but i think i can get in position to kick the cda on the punch table (good) but it would require facing generally south (bad)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Note you're also in range of the LL on the CMD and AC/5 on the Scorpion (maybe about +9 to hit) and the PPC on the CDA for about +10. You might want to move a little further as 1120 is only travelling 2 hexes (+0) so you're adding +1 to your to-hit number by walking but not adding anything to the enemies due to moving less than 3 hexes.

If you want a really good hit on the Galleon, 1117 gets you in short range and gives you a +2 movement mod for incoming fire. If you want the same odds as 1120 but group up with the rest of the Lance, walking to 0918 gives you +2 defense for moving 5 hexes. If you wanted to run to 0915 for extra protection, you could torso twist and still hit the Galleon, but adding another +1 to your shots. However, you're in short range of the PPC so probably not a great idea. 0918 is medium range for the PPC, but your +2 movement cancels it out vs long range at 1120, and you're closer to the CDA for next round.

OP or other players - Let me know if you want me to stop breaking down everyone's moves. I can't recall who's familiar or not with the rules.

generally speaking, the breakevens for movement are walk 3, run 5 jump 7, and the positive modifier ratios are walk 5, run 7

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Option 1a: high kick
0913-0909,0909-0808,0808-0609 - 12MP, Run 7 (2 Level Change, 3 Facing Change); alpha strike CDA, kick CDA. not sure of the numbers on the kick, which could be very risky

Option 1b: close encounter
same as 1a without the kick

Option 2: partial cover
0913-0511,0511-0411,0411-0311,0311-0310 - 12MP, Run 7 (1 Level Change, 3 Facing Change, 1 Light Wood); alpha strike CDA

Amechwarrior posted:

I think you can get to 0409 and face NE? Keeps your back safe vs the rest and isn't too bad setup for next turn. It's a right side arc shot, I don't think I can hit that this turn.

not quite, stalls out on 0310 (see option 2)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

I think you can go up 2 levels at once for a total +3 mp. Am I remembering something wrong? You should be able to go from 0511 to 0410 then turn N to 0409 and turn NE for kick.

oh, i didn't think you could do two height levels at once at all, that would definitely change some of my move options!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ilmucche posted:

Kicking is -2 iirc? You'd be piloting -2, +3 from CDA movement, +2 from your run, so 8 to hit on the punch table?

Otherwise I think you could run to 0608 and dump short range mlas into what I think counts as back arc while getting partial cover from the stinger with a +2 TMM from 6 spaces moved

Alternatively, jump next to the stinger and try to push it off the cliff :v:

locusts don't have jets :D

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Then yes it looks like i have a move with 0913-0410,0409-0410,face NE - 11 MP, Run 6 (1 Light woods, 2 elevation change, 2 facing); alpha strike the CDA, kick the CDA

Run 6 is less than ideal but it does keep me pointed in the right direction. Stinger probably has okay shots at me, though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

The STG jumped, so that's +3 and you're at his Long Range adding +4 for a single ML. He's shooting like +13 at you. Probably impossible shot or +12 if I missed something.

EDIT: This is exactly the kind of move I'm talking about
We get some ok shots vs the CDA but the other units have impossible odds or near enough trying to hit us.

I had The stg with an LL for some reason

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

By our own strategy, take the 10 and better defense, imo

Partial cover is pretty good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

This is where I'm really hazy. LOS rules for partial cover.

If the CDA is next to the half cover, I have a partial cover mod to hit it. But does the CDA also have partial cover to hit me if I moved to 0211?

What if I moved to 0311 (ground floor) would I have LOS to the CDA? Partial? It's 1 lvl above the intervening hill, but it's also as tall as me. I remember playing by some older lvl3 rules in MM and you could have cover only going one way.

Can anyone give a break down on hill LOS for the CDA vs 0211 and 0311?

I'll probably stick the plan and move to 0211 either way, but I need a refresher on elevation and LOS.

i'm pretty sure you get partial cover if there is one height of intervening cover adjacent to you in the line.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

With mguns and flamers we should be well equipped to eliminate them but they’ll be nasty if we forget about them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:stare:

I don’t think I’ll be kicking anything

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

submitted my move to 0410

Space Kablooey posted:

Locked my orders to 0918 and shooting at the GAL.

I think I will actually start sketching out the moves lol. doing in my head isn't cutting it

I pull up the board image and count it out by hand

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

first thoughts are to continue to push north and cut off the tanks, continuing with that part of the plan. going to work out decent move options now. Commando's theoretically vulnerable; jenner and vulcan could maybe cross under the CDA to get some shots on it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i can get to 1009 easily enough to flank the cda, but that's only run 6 and then the STG can easily flank me; i suppose i have enough MP to turn NE which would mitigate that, but i'm still really close to the COM and the troops

I can get to the heavy woods in 0504 and get some shots on the STG, or possible twist and still get the cda in the rear end with some lasers, but none of that is going to be resembling a good shot. It should be safe positioning, though

I can also get to 0503 facing NE which should still get me some shots on the STG, and sts me up to loop around later, but in any of these cases the STG can still flank me

meh. not thrilled with these options

e- could also get to 1107 which gets me in the thick of things like 1009 but at least i have some cover? still not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

We're in a pickle. If we want good butt meat on the CDA we're mostly only moving about 6 hexes for +2 instead of our normal +3 and the INF (who don't have any attacker movement penalty) and COM who stood for +0 attacker movement penalty are in range if we want to be in ML short range to the CDA (3 hexes) rear.

The only really good move I can see is for Prime, you can get to 0909 while moving 7 and while your rear is facing the STG, it should need 12 to hit. You'd move to 0907 and sharp turn down to 0909. You'd need 9 to-hit with ML and 11 with MGs. If you want a 8 to-hit and 10 for MGs, you'd walk to 0909 directly, but only get a +2 movement mod for your defense.

As for Razor, I think just running straight to 0911 might hide you from the COM. Can anyone double check the LoS rules for that? The COM is on lvl1 so sees at lvl 3, but the path to 0911 has a lvl2 hill in the way at 1110. Even if it can see you, it's shooting at 10/11 depending on half cover. The tanks would need 9 for the Scorpion AC/5 and 11 for the closer Galleon, the other one is over 12. The hill also should block you from the infantry. You can shoot at the CDA for 9 and your at 1 Heat now, running is another 2 heat and each ML is +3. You sink 12 Heat per turn. You can fire 3 ML, ending with 0 heat or fire all 4 for +3 and cut out one ML next turn. The MGs are 0 heat and would need 11 to-hit. The Flamer would also need 11 but also cause you +3 heat, so not a great option.

You can also try to hunt one of the vehicles, or jump to 0514 and face NE to setup for next turn. You could pick at the Galleon for 10 with 1 ML and 12 for the MG and end with 0 heat.

Mirage has some hard choices to make. You can get to 0808 for 9s at the CDA rear and IIRC the LoS to the COM as when it falls on the line between hexes it favors the defender. This also gives you like 10 vs the infantry and Scorpion, and I think 11 vs the STG. The hard choice is how many lasers to fire. You ran (+2 Heat) and can fire all 4 ML (+3 ea.) for a total of 14 heat. You sink 10 per turn, leaving net +4. This is the redline before you start taking negative effects from heat (+5 drops your walking by one, becoming 6/9, it never lowers your jumping range of 5) so next turn, no matter what happens you might have to ease off the firepower. Think about where you can move next turn to be relatively safe if you choose to overheat now.

For Glaive, I'll probably move to 0706 to keep a +3 but my shots will be crap vs the CDA, needing 11. I could also shoot the STG for 9s instead. Either way, I can also toss the MGs at the STG for 11 or 12 depending on if I split fire or not. I could get to 0808, but I'd only cover 6 hexes so I'd give that spot to Mirage who has 2x the firepower anyway.

oh that's interesting, getting at the rear end of the cda without getting adjacent, not a bad idea