Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxoQBF-wG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pattonesque posted:

I always felt something like the LRM locust, which is usually just something that gets blown up immediately, would be incredible in an actual war. Like imagine two lances of these guys dumping their mags from max range and then sprinting away to reload before anyone could catch them

this also applies to a lesser extent to something like the Royal Griffin -- ERPPC sniping jumpjetters who can outrun anything than can outslug them and dump SRMs into anything that can catch them would be a nightmare just wandering around causing problems

True, but if you dig too deep into reality of war vs game tropes you start wondering why walking mechs are used at all compared to tracked and wheeled vehicles, and then the whole game falls apart with a quiet fart sound.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised the cicada has a PPC, that seems like crazy firepower for the size. Then again the original mechcommander had a firestarter variant with a PPC.

The Cicada is generally considered a fast glass cannon. Speed is supposed to make up for light armor but often fails to do so. The -3C just has more cannon than other variants.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Scintilla posted:

In the UK long ago there was a special bundle where you could buy Mechwarrior 4, Black Knight and Mech Commander 2 all in one. They came in a special case with a big beefy manual that included detailed breakdowns of all the various mechs and weapons systems.

I loved MC2, but it had some nasty bugs. In particular, the AI will aggressively attack the first thing it sees and fixate on it forever after, never changing targets even if another mech shoots at it. If you deploy a Razorback or other fast mech and run it through the objective points you can make a conga line of angry enemies follow you across the entire map.

"Train to zone!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

biosterous posted:

i was thinking about the cicada with hands earlier, and then i though about the fire moth/dasher and the falconer, and well,

behold, the falconmoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s0ldo3K9HU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Koorisch posted:

The best "CASE" pre-Helm Memory Core is just to fire all your ammo before it has the chance to get hit.

That sounds better than the worst-CASE scenario.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I bet it's a busted-rear end old Manatee just barely still operational.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Over on the mountain
Thunder magic spoke:
"Let the people know my wisdom.
Fill the land with smoke!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Battlemech judo? Now I've seen everything!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bloody Pom posted:

Reading that ejection failure just got me thinking about Blood On The Risers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgsdexkv18

I feel like some permutation of this song almost certainly managed to survive until the 31st century.

There was blood upon the console, there were brains on the transpex.
Intestines were a-dangling from his shredded cooling vest.
He was a mess, they mopped him up and hosed him from the 'pit.
And he ain't gonna drop no more.

Gory, gory what a hellova way to die!
And he ain't gonna drop no more!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Breadmaster posted:

I can't imagine this anything other than an Urbie skittering up a wall when you turn on the lights, like a 30 ton daddy long legs

An Urbie riding a quad, cowboy-style.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thank you for realizing my dream.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SIGSEGV posted:

There's still time for some battletech to happen but that's mostly rolled up, the perfect moment to get your engine cored out by an SRM-6.

Also: update on previous page.

:allears:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nah, leave him for last as his troops get cut down around him and he can't do a drat thing about it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're just staying true to the source material.

Is "armor" a thing in that universe or do they just cover their robots in aluminum foil?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh, that was lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Any severed limbs handy?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AJ_Impy posted:

A thought. The Griffin is next to a hole. Someone ending in the hex north and not firing their arm weapons could try and shove them in.

If only that were a mud hex this would be perfect.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Pressing him so hard he overheats to the point of shutdown would be an excellent humiliation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Can someone DFA him into the mud while wielding a cactus?

Actually scratch that if he learns any humility that would make for an incredible bar story, save that for someone who deserves a cool story.

If he manages to pull his head out of his rear end and become a good leader he'll deserve to drink on that story.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
lol got 'im

(Update on previous page.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

aniviron posted:

Style points are an easier argument when you're not risking real mech damage.

And when it's a bonus objective worth a cool hundred thou.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

aniviron posted:

The invading Taurian force. Definitely the bad guys.

Man, OpFor exercises are just fun as hell. You get to indulge your inner bastard in a way that doesn't fly any other time.

Take note, Goonlance.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1OurToVQRw

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AJ_Impy posted:

Dervish

Someone talk me out of trying to DFA the Hornet off the map.

Could you just give it a bully-shove? And call the pilot a lame nerd over open comms?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If I wasn't on the mobile app I might have missed this filename.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Play it off in the Fusiliers debrief as "You saw the weakness we showed you and pounced on it, well done, A+ for seizing a tactical opportunity, you've come a long way." Then in the OpFor-only debrief chew everybody a new rear end in a top hat, because drat.

(Not in terms of blaming things on the players, but there has been some definite :battletech: going on that can be flavored that way.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Slavvy posted:

The inner sphere has such terrible OSHA workplace practices

Osha? Never heard of it. Is that some failed FWL prototype hovercraft or something?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Amechwarrior posted:

While the HBK is the anchor due to mobility, we might want to see if we can plink some of the vehicles at range if we can get some early shots off.

Remember that when running on pavement, moving after you've made a facing change can cause a skid if it is on the same turn's movement. Also don't fall into the trap of jumping on buildings just to have them shot out from under you, then falling into a random double basement.

Okay but hear me out: What if it's really funny?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volmarias posted:

This might have been an encirclement, except that it's more "we're not trapped here with you, you're trapped here with us" situation. Etienne is still trying to play the part of bait long after that's no longer relevant, and the rest of his lance is going to get chewed up as a result.

He does seem to be learning things about tactics and leadership though, and maybe even maturing as a person. Which means that the long-term objective of this contract is being fulfilled. Kinda gives you warm fuzzies, a bit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would imagine that most 'mech jocks who aren't absolute greenhorns could tell the difference between a hit from an auto cannon vs a laser. More experience could get you more precise identification.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

glwgameplayer posted:

Every time I'm reminded of our C-Bills I feel a little bad. Like, our finances are fine because we're not in the red. We're still making money. But we don't have much capacity to replace expensive components or buy new mechs. Granted most of our new mechs will come from salvage and stuff. It's probably fine, but we're still one bad mission away from being semi crippled.

That's pretty much the default state of most merc companies, as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volmarias posted:

Excuse me but yakity sax is lostech

Truly a dystopian universe.