Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the alien name for earth, loosely translated, is "sexy ape planet"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
honkers, pee-pees, vay-jays, butts, etc are naturally scarce on their homeworld, but earth is littered with the stuff

baka of lathspell

ur fuckin sig does it to me every time dude

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Finger Prince

You know how in Sci-fi there's often a hedonistic pleasure planet full of horny aliens that are always DTF?
What if that's earth?

Finger Prince

Gleeglax the space buccaneer setting course for Earth, to give his crew some well earned planet leave in the pleasure pits of Cabo.

baka of lathspell

Finger Prince posted:

You know how in Sci-fi there's often a hedonistic pleasure planet full of horny aliens that are always DTF?
What if that's earth?

checks out

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Finger Prince

Humanity finally takes to the stars in search of a place more horny than home, only to find earth is the horniest place there is.
Earthling spacefarer at a neat and tidy, efficiently run pirate trading post: "so tell me, where would I go to find the flesh dens, the party that never stops, the sordid underbelly of the galaxy?"
Alien bartender at the healthy space juicery: "won't find anything like that around here... * leans in* but I might know a place..." *slips the Earther a set of coordinates on a napkin*
Back on the earth spaceship in stellar navigation:
"What the hell? These are the coordinates to my mom's house!"

Nosfereefer

baka fwocka fwame posted:

ur fuckin sig does it to me every time dude

thanks! they're good pigeons

Nosfereefer

species from all over the galaxy want to go to the planet w/ the big titted, long hogged monkeys.

Finger Prince

"I dunno, look at me, I'm all teeth and slime and tentacles. Even on my own planet we just spawn into the same rock crevice another one of us has already spawned in to because we can't stand the sight of each other. Who would want to stimulate my sex glands?"

"Brother I'm telling you, these Earthlings have sex with their own feet! There's literally nothing they won't insert in themselves!"

baka of lathspell

Finger Prince posted:

"I dunno, look at me, I'm all teeth and slime and tentacles. Even on my own planet we just spawn into the same rock crevice another one of us has already spawned in to because we can't stand the sight of each other. Who would want to stimulate my sex glands?"

"Brother I'm telling you, these Earthlings have sex with their own feet! There's literally nothing they won't insert in themselves!"

hot humans dtf near you. hot humans in your area code. stop squargling off. hot humans dtf in ur area

is what we should blast on all frequencies when we're finally cruising thru space

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Nosfereefer

hot humans dtf near you. hot humans in your area code. stop squargling off. hot humans dtf in ur area

is what we should blast on all frequencies when we're finally cruising thru space

p sure that's what we've been doing re: radio waves

Heather Papps

hello friend

Nosfereefer posted:

p sure that's what we've been doing re: radio waves

we literally sent out nudes, to space

it's a loving space craigslist ad. "does this look good? here's where to find us"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

also i can not emphasize enough that if you are of the mind that because some of the things we shot down are terrestrially produced nothing that has been identified flying around could possibly have exotic origins i need you to do even the tiniest bit of research into the uss nimitz situation. the tic tac was tracked by multiple human eyeballs and multiple technological tracking systems moving at a speed that, to our understanding of physics, is impossible.

i had a conversation with a co-worker about the 3 car sized objects shot down, and she was utterly convinced that they were the same as the chinese spy balloons. i even pulled up a cbc article about them on my phone, and because there was a picture of the chinese spy balloon embedded in the article it's like her brain shut down, nothing else could get through.

it is difficult to come to grips with information that shows one's understanding of the world is incorrect, i understand why this topic ends up with a lot of people shrugging it off as "well it's just drones" when the incident i'm talking about involves accelerations so insane they'd require more power than is produced globally every year to achieve.

i do not claim to know what's going on, but if the technology displayed in the nimitz encounter and other extremely similar encounters we are aware of was in the hands of any national power TWENTY YEARS AGO we would not have different countries anymore. the idea that given these tools any nation would use them as they are being used is laughable.

multiple somethings are going on in the sky. some of it is mundane, but some of it absolutely is not.

baka of lathspell

Heather Papps posted:

also i can not emphasize enough that if you are of the mind that because some of the things we shot down are terrestrially produced nothing that has been identified flying around could possibly have exotic origins i need you to do even the tiniest bit of research into the uss nimitz situation. the tic tac was tracked by multiple human eyeballs and multiple technological tracking systems moving at a speed that, to our understanding of physics, is impossible.

i had a conversation with a co-worker about the 3 car sized objects shot down, and she was utterly convinced that they were the same as the chinese spy balloons. i even pulled up a cbc article about them on my phone, and because there was a picture of the chinese spy balloon embedded in the article it's like her brain shut down, nothing else could get through.

it is difficult to come to grips with information that shows one's understanding of the world is incorrect, i understand why this topic ends up with a lot of people shrugging it off as "well it's just drones" when the incident i'm talking about involves accelerations so insane they'd require more power than is produced globally every year to achieve.

i do not claim to know what's going on, but if the technology displayed in the nimitz encounter and other extremely similar encounters we are aware of was in the hands of any national power TWENTY YEARS AGO we would not have different countries anymore. the idea that given these tools any nation would use them as they are being used is laughable.

multiple somethings are going on in the sky. some of it is mundane, but some of it absolutely is not.

good posting. i agree even tho sometimes i lean towards it all just being xcom grade tech top secreted to the moon. my friend got me on this by comparing shots of the tesla rocket to some old ufo footage lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i am very open to extraterrestrial theories tho which is what ur saying

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seriously, though, now that I'm looking stuff up, they shot down "something" in Alaska, then said "too bothersome to go look for the remains" and left? Uh, poo poo smells fishy, and it's not the frozen lakes.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Stoner Sloth

i always hear 'space is so vast so therefore there must be alien civilizations out there' - and it's true that if there is a 1 in 1 billion chance of life evolving around a particular star then the current estimates suggest that would mean about 1 or 2 hundred billion stars have a planet with life on it orbiting them in the observable universe.

however... there are other factors involved and it's possible that we're the only technologically advanced species. For starters this simple numerical analysis misses an important point - it says nothing of the time factor involved, those putative life forms may be billions of years from evolving.

it could well be that we're close to the minimum time it takes complex life, let alone technologically capable life, takes to evolve. after all for complex life like ours (we'll leave out for a moment more exotic arrangements of matter that might qualify as life and assume we're talking water and carbon based, for good reasons) it requires at least second or third generation stars for the mix of heavier elements required to be present in that solar system. our sun is estimated at 4.5 billion years old so we might be about as quick as is possible for complex life to emerge on a planet orbiting any star.

also there may be many 'filters' between single celled life (or free living viruses or whatever) and more complex life that mean it only rarely develops. perhaps only one in a billion planets that develop life have something more complex than individual cells. and it may be another 'filter' that technologically capable life forms develops on maybe 1 in one or two hundred of those planets with complex life. if only those two filters are applied that would mean we shouldn't be surprised to be the only complex, technologically capable life forms in the observable universe. we may be the ancient precursor race that is a trope in science fiction.

add in the requirement that a civilization should be capable of long distance travel between the stars (something which goes beyond our own understanding of what is physically possible other than by generation ships/cryogenics/etc) and it seems pretty drat improbable we'll ever see visitors from space imo

Finger Prince

Stoner Sloth posted:

i always hear 'space is so vast so therefore there must be alien civilizations out there' - and it's true that if there is a 1 in 1 billion chance of life evolving around a particular star then the current estimates suggest that would mean about 1 or 2 hundred billion stars have a planet with life on it orbiting them in the observable universe.

however... there are other factors involved and it's possible that we're the only technologically advanced species. For starters this simple numerical analysis misses an important point - it says nothing of the time factor involved, those putative life forms may be billions of years from evolving.

it could well be that we're close to the minimum time it takes complex life, let alone technologically capable life, takes to evolve. after all for complex life like ours (we'll leave out for a moment more exotic arrangements of matter that might qualify as life and assume we're talking water and carbon based, for good reasons) it requires at least second or third generation stars for the mix of heavier elements required to be present in that solar system. our sun is estimated at 4.5 billion years old so we might be about as quick as is possible for complex life to emerge on a planet orbiting any star.

also there may be many 'filters' between single celled life (or free living viruses or whatever) and more complex life that mean it only rarely develops. perhaps only one in a billion planets that develop life have something more complex than individual cells. and it may be another 'filter' that technologically capable life forms develops on maybe 1 in one or two hundred of those planets with complex life. if only those two filters are applied that would mean we shouldn't be surprised to be the only complex, technologically capable life forms in the observable universe. we may be the ancient precursor race that is a trope in science fiction.

add in the requirement that a civilization should be capable of long distance travel between the stars (something which goes beyond our own understanding of what is physically possible other than by generation ships/cryogenics/etc) and it seems pretty drat improbable we'll ever see visitors from space imo

Yeah I think it's much more likely that we'll find them, not the other way around. And by them I mean sponges, proto fish things, etc. Radio communication is a very highly specialized adaptation, and certainly not a requirement for complex, intelligent and social life to exist outside of our own species even on our own planet. Our technology is a product of our planet and the design of our bodies. A complex, intelligent species that uses sonar or light or smells to communicate might have no more reason than we do to search for signs of life in other spectra.

Finger Prince

When I think about aliens, rather than humanoids with bumpy foreheads or different color skin, I like to imagine things like maybe there's people out there who developed a means of communication over distance via their mulicolored back flaps, like a kind of complex semaphore. Then they evolved to abstract it using painted patterns on objects. As they developed, they figured out how to manipulate oil films and project light through them to communicate over short distance. To get around long distance communication, they figured out how to shine the light through tubes of extruded polymers or something. They developed a means of flickering the light through the tubes through various colors so that the recipient could project them on to a surface to receive the message. Maybe they begin to wonder if there are others like them in the universe (provided their atmosphere allows them to see the stars and wonder). They dedicate a significant effort to building a huge, very bright light tube to point at space and think, well, x color is the universal signal for greetings, let's go with that.
Then some human astronomer on earth looks at the output of their telescope and sees a bright periodic light source in some other part of the galaxy and notes down "binary star system with dim white dwarf (or whatever) neighbor.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I've interacted between dimensions/other timelines. Have you all not?

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Shifty Nipples

Stoner Sloth posted:

can't really conceptualize how long it takes intelligent or complex life to evolve when our only example, earth, has had multiple mass extinctions forcing the process to start over to some extent.

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

baka of lathspell

i get that but surely this universe stuff has been happening for a while, its easy to imagine everything starts with us, maybe it doesnt tho. but maybe it does

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Finger Prince

At one point in the Quantum trilogy by Derek Künsken, the protagonist encounters a species of alien life that communicates across time through a wormhole using chemical signals, which he learns to interpret and realizes they have a complex society and history that is completely and utterly alien to anything ever encountered, and he's the only one that figures it out (before accidentally causing their genocide). It's a really interesting thought experiment about what alien life could conceptually be, without the traditional limitations of SETI types that are basically looking for things that are enough like us that would communicate like us.
There could be water worlds with advanced civilizations built around thermal vents that we would never find with all the telescopy that could be imagined simply by virtue of them being underwater. It's amazing how much of a barrier something as simple as a layer of water is to our species means of communication.

nut

the government was behin d the push to make UFO stand for "uhh, freakin owned" like how everyon uses it in CS GO when they freakin own someone. It actually means alien, don't bleieve their lies

Stoner Sloth

Finger Prince posted:

At one point in the Quantum trilogy by Derek Künsken, the protagonist encounters a species of alien life that communicates across time through a wormhole using chemical signals, which he learns to interpret and realizes they have a complex society and history that is completely and utterly alien to anything ever encountered, and he's the only one that figures it out (before accidentally causing their genocide). It's a really interesting thought experiment about what alien life could conceptually be, without the traditional limitations of SETI types that are basically looking for things that are enough like us that would communicate like us.
There could be water worlds with advanced civilizations built around thermal vents that we would never find with all the telescopy that could be imagined simply by virtue of them being underwater. It's amazing how much of a barrier something as simple as a layer of water is to our species means of communication.

i mean as creative exercise it's definitely fun. I think SETI is limited in terms of what we can reliably detect and know as possible signs of life, as we know it, but that's understandable really.

i do think that moreover while it's fun to speculate on truly alien civilizations there might well be some limiting factors - carbon chemistry seems almost inescapable in practice, we do see life on earth use some silicon but really it's only much good at making rock like things rather than the immensely varied basis for organic chemistry that carbon represents.

similarly we hvae had alternate suggestions for the liquid substrate for life's chemistry to occur in but it's hard to really go past water - there are some substances that might be better for some things but the whole broad chemistry necessary for life means that water's characteristics are hard to replace.

oxygen could be replaced by something like sulfates in terms of respiration/chemical reduction but it's way less efficient than oxygen and would require a ready supply of biovailable sulfates at all times. it's hard to imagine technological advancement among a species that must literally graze on gypsum 24/7 just to maintain basal metabolism.

i think technologically advanced underwater civilizations might be a no go - sure thermal vents could supply heat but it's hard to see how that could replace the use of fire in terms of all the chemistry and technology that unlocks.

as always we're bedevilled by a sample of one not giving us enough to go on and i think we'd be foolish to rule out all possibility of exotic life forms... but i think especially in these cases if we do find anything along those lines they're not going to end up as advanced life. i do think we should keep imagining and testing those theories though!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i kinda think science is fake and that alien life could be based on soundwaves or something but what do i know. we talk a lot about what we think life on other worlds could be like but it's all couched in "this is what life on earth is like, and also, what our feeble senses and brains can perceive."
https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2012/06/13/star-consciousness-an-alternative-to-dark-matter/
here's a fun one. maybe stars are conscious, and direct their movements with intention.

baka of lathspell

Heather Papps posted:

i kinda think science is fake and that alien life could be based on soundwaves or something but what do i know. we talk a lot about what we think life on other worlds could be like but it's all couched in "this is what life on earth is like, and also, what our feeble senses and brains can perceive."
https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2012/06/13/star-consciousness-an-alternative-to-dark-matter/
here's a fun one. maybe stars are conscious, and direct their movements with intention.

this was a cool read. is it saying that stars know how old they are

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Heather Papps

hello friend

this was a cool read. is it saying that stars know how old they are

it also explains the very weird calmness of our sun. most similarly sized stars are significantly more violent in terms of solar flares etc. it's fun to imagine life on earth got to where it did because our sun is a particularly friendly star.

Scuba Trooper

theyre gonna do a watchmen to us mark my words :tinfoil:

Scuba Trooper

idk who "they" are but still

squid's gonna fall

baka of lathspell

Scuba Trooper posted:

idk who "they" are but still

squid's gonna fall

its squid time

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Shifty Nipples

Heather Papps posted:

science is a method

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

alexandriao

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I think it's much more likely that we'll find them, not the other way around. And by them I mean sponges, proto fish things, etc. Radio communication is a very highly specialized adaptation, and certainly not a requirement for complex, intelligent and social life to exist outside of our own species even on our own planet. Our technology is a product of our planet and the design of our bodies. A complex, intelligent species that uses sonar or light or smells to communicate might have no more reason than we do to search for signs of life in other spectra.

pls pls pls listen to the cryptic aliens youtube, it's extremely up your alley based on the post

smell-based communication is unlikely because as a life or death thing, it just doesn't work out, and then across distance or time it's difficult.

The semaphore aliens however might have a decent chance, maybe their warning is an eye blinding flash of bioluminescence, too, which would solve the "something is trying to eat me" warning issue, but sound is still more advantageous than semaphore in this case unfortunately. Maybe you'd see a predilection towards semaphore-like communication in low atmosphere environments though, where the atmosphere is too thin for sound.

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I think about this a lot these days:

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/cosmic-web/

sure, just aesthetic similarity to the structure of human neurons, but still :tinfoil:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!