Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Rules edit -
Problem description: I can't change the refresh rate of my external display
Attempted fixes: A number of software solutions claimed to be the answer (SwitchRes X, cscreen, BetterDisplay, RDM)
Recent changes: New (old) display

--

Operating system: OSX 13.1
System specs: M1 chip, 8GB, 30" Cinema HD display

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any idea whether it's still possible to change refresh rate of an external display on Ventura? Or Apple Silicon macs?

I got hold of a 30" Cinema HD display (almost) free, and have set it up, and for the most part everything is fine, except when the screen is mostly black there is some pretty bad blue/green pixel noise. Googling around, it seems like this has always been an issue with the displays (forum posts dating back to launch year), but the most promising lead I have is a on the discussions.apple.com community forums from 2005, in which it is claimed there is a hack solution.

The OP says that switching the refresh rate to 58Hz causes the problem to disappear, or at least be massively reduced; pretty much every reply agrees that this is the case:

The problem is that the software the OP used, SwitchResX, does not allow me to change any of the refresh rate settings; the options are simply greyed out.

The is the same in the normal Display Settings, where there is not even an option to set refresh rate, it's the same in RDM, it's the same in BetterDisplay, and its even the same in cscreen, which I had to install/run through terminal. The internet assures me that these are the apps I need to force a refresh rate change on an external display, but no dice.

What's the deal? Are refresh rates just hard-locked on Ventura, or is it that refresh rate is dealt with in a different way and these apps haven't been updated to make use of it yet?

Any help appreciated.

Diorama fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU