Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GrandpaPants posted:

Hellboy is the most boring part of the Hellboy comics. What they need to do is make a BPRD TV series, because that's where all the actually interesting characters were.

Yeah. I mean Hellboy isn't boring to me but his whole shtick is that he's nonplussed and competent, so it's low energy by design. Gotta bring in characters to shake it up.

The way the comic is structured, it honestly shouldn't be a movie.
'
edit: SHOULDN'T be a movie. jeez

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is hell boy still dead in the comics

He came to life in time for BPRD conclusion series. But yeah he spent a good decade in hell over the course of 2- 3 series.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been meaning to go back and finish the entire Hellboy/BPRD saga but it is a lot.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's hard to identify where exactly it goes from "I understand something's not right with me, I know I'm going to have to be done working soon but I want to get much in while I can to support myself and my family" to exploiting someone but I feel like if you're able to act you're probably aware enough to make that decision for yourself.

I guess it depends on your definition of "act" because he was not exactly giving award-winning performances

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Reviews for blood and honey look like dogshit but I could have told you that. Probably gonna make it’s money back tenfold since horror fans will watch anyThing

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is it just a home invasion movie with hundred acre wood masks?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of "act" because he was not exactly giving award-winning performances

Yeah in the earliest of this wave of these many crap films like Breach/Anti-Life, I mean they're not good movies by any means but you can tell Willis himself seems more with it and is definitely actually acting and making an effort/consciously gives a poo poo.

But even just a little later though like in Apex especially it's clear even in the finished film that he's not well. Cosmic Sin is sort of in between those and you can tell stuff was getting bad because of how busted that movie's editing/general structure is like they had to rebuild everything around what they could get out of him.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alan Smithee posted:

Reviews for blood and honey look like dogshit but I could have told you that. Probably gonna make it’s money back tenfold since horror fans will watch anyThing

Iirc it already had a release in Mexico and made a profit already

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tars Tarkas posted:

Iirc it already had a release in Mexico and made a profit already

Yup,

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/how-winnie-the-pooh-trolled-its-way-to-box-office-success.html (paywall)

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/how-winnie-the-pooh-trolled-its-way-to-box-office-success.html posted:

Since launching in theaters in Mexico on January 27, the British-produced micro-budget indie has taken in over $1 million: a more than 10X return on its reported “under $100,000” production cost. Hitting 1,500 U.S. theaters on Wednesday en route to a rollout across Canada, Europe, the U.K., Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and 1,300 Latin American screens, Pooh is now poised to become what Variety describes as “one of the most profitable movies in the last decade in terms of budget-to–box office ratio.”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Is it just a home invasion movie with hundred acre wood masks?

Typical slasher from what I hear. And they’re not masks in-story, they’re weird unexplained human animal things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess good for the creators for getting this out the door first, because I've seen a lot of outlets covering this despite it looking like some cheap film a few people worked on in their spare time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Someone please explain why I’m not making a low effort Screamboat Willy for nice-house-in-lovely-area money

Name post combo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah. I mean Hellboy isn't boring to me but his whole shtick is that he's nonplussed and competent, so it's low energy by design. Gotta bring in characters to shake it up.

The way the comic is structured, it honestly shouldn't be a movie.
'
edit: SHOULDN'T be a movie. jeez

Yeah, Hellboy should ideally be the exact same show as Primal, but with Hellboy and weird eastern european folklore/cthulhu stuff instead of cavemen.

Or just make something like The Amazing Screw-On Head

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone please explain why I’m not making a low effort Screamboat Willy for nice-house-in-lovely-area money

Name post combo

Because that's next year. If you start production before Jan 1, 2024 you can be sure Disney will be at your door the next day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't know if the entire movie will be good but this is very authentic to actual D&D experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtGgsyI99Rw

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The MSJ posted:

Don't know if the entire movie will be good but this is very authentic to actual D&D experience.

It’s a dumb joke but also yeah, 100% authentic. It’s definitely going to be bad, but maybe it’ll at least be a fun Saturday afternoon watch once it’s on streaming.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a dumb joke but also yeah, 100% authentic. It’s definitely going to be bad, but maybe it’ll at least be a fun Saturday afternoon watch once it’s on streaming.

The director plays D&D but more importantly he did Game Night which I heard was good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, it seems stupid enough to be entertaining to put on in the background or what not. Feel like entertainingly bad isn't the worst way to go for a D&D film to be honest. Far better than generically mediocre.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The MSJ posted:

The director plays D&D but more importantly he did Game Night which I heard was good.

Game Night was good so here’s hoping it’s also surprisingly violent

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The MSJ posted:

Better than it has any right to be yeah

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe this will be the movie where Michelle Rodriguez' character doesn't die.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Maybe this will be the movie where Michelle Rodriguez' character doesn't die.

Michelle Rodriguez's character dies, and then she shows up in the third act playing a different character under the rationale that her player just rolled up another guy

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

God help me that D&D movie looks like A Romp and now I’m looking forward it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Richard Belzer (Munch), passed away at 78.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Richard Belzer (Munch), passed away at 78.

Had to do a double take to check the username

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think the D&D movie looks like a fun afternoon watch, and the sort of thing a 12 year old would lose their mind for. Way better than trying to do anything serious. Just crank up the Pine smarm dial and enjoy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The MSJ posted:

but will there be Joey Hoofvs?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the party fights a gang of murder hobos who look like bizarro versions of themselves

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

the party fights a gang of murder hobos who look like bizarro versions of themselves

They're not murder hobos but this did happen in Fast & Furious 6.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dnd movie is my number one most anticipated blockbuster this year lol

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Lid posted:

but will there be Joey Hoofvs?

Probably not.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Marlon Wayans shows up to pass the baton

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

D&D movie looks fun. Don't really see where the complaints about it are coming from, if it took itself any more seriously than it is then it wouldn't be a D&D movie anymore.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vandar posted:

D&D movie looks fun. Don't really see where the complaints about it are coming from, if it took itself any more seriously than it is then it wouldn't be a D&D movie anymore.

not in this thread that's for sure

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I'm excited for Edgin with friends

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bards are such teases

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

A guy at my LGS thinks it looks bad because "it's just a fantasy movie and nothing about it makes it D&D" but I think he wants to watch people sit around a table and roll dice or some poo poo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My knowledge of D&D is limited, but even I know that it’s not really a D&D movie without a gelatinous cube.

And I saw one in that trailer, so, uh….so far so good?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Len posted:

A guy at my LGS thinks it looks bad because "it's just a fantasy movie and nothing about it makes it D&D" but I think he wants to watch people sit around a table and roll dice or some poo poo

In fairness, pulling a Jumanji and starting with the characters as actual players and doing a fish out of water thing would help it set the movie apart from your typical action-fantasy flick.

That’s pretty much all you could do though, the D&D setting itself is just as bland and generic as every other fantasy setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
You could use the players at the table as a framing device for the story, do like a Princess Bride kind of thing where you show players around the table occasionally, have the DM as the narrator.