Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

So a modern day Guy Ritchie movie?

He bought himself a lot of slack with the "Suck your own dick" scene in Wrath of Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's very funny that Jake Gyllenhaal got super jacked for a Roadhouse remake.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

He was pretty juicy anyway from previous roles, the body remembers. It's not like it was DJ Qualls getting a lead role in a Marvel

Sure but he's still gotta cram a bunch of "chicken and brown rice" down his gullet for a Roadhouse remake.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

"Mills also discovers that an asteroid, whose debris caused their ship to crash, will strike Earth in less than 12 hours, triggering a catastrophic extinction event."

This is amazing.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

What's worse is the guy who directed Marcel the Shell with Shoes On is trapped doing it.

It'll probably be bad but David Lowery's been able to cash Disney checks and keep his dignity.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

He's already got one live action remake under his belt with Pete's Dragon, and that turned out phenomenally.

His live action Peter Pan at least looks like a real movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Wow, Amélie Poulain was a KGB spy! This is from the director so it is canon and no takebacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB_lTTxYSsg

But why?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Quantum of Solace has one of the strongest endings in a Bond movie. I’d have to watch again to see how the rest of it held up, but the ending has stuck with me.

It also has a great opening scene.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Dan Stevens could have had a career being just Mchandsome Whiteface but decided to be an indie darling

I'm Your Man is very good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Nobody actually "wants" to "have fun" at "the movies", that is capitalist propaganda. There were no movies in the Soviet Union for just that reason.

That one about the guy who goes to the wrong apartment is pretty fun.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Maybe they'll finally bring Joel back.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's a little terrifying how many people are mad about this movie but it also highlights why this movie is so great.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm hoping the 4 hour cut is as big a jump in quality as the extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven.

I also hope it comes out on a 4k disc instead of being lost forever on apple+.

For as much as I liked Napoleon, it did feel like it fast-forwarded through the story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Waititi's comments are funny considering that he is or has been attached to a Star War, a Disneyland ride movie and an Akira remake.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The one I know was that he beat up one of his sons with a fireplace poker then shot him back in 2007.

But I found out that he hit on his own daughter Tatum at the funeral of his wife, Farrah Fawcett, in 2009.

That'd explain why he never got a John Travolta moment. Feels like he's the only 70s star who didn't.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Young Freud posted:

More likely because of age.

When O'Neal started his acting career, Travolta was in the 5th grade. O'Neal debuted in the soap opera "Peyton Place" in the mid-'60s. He was 23 in the first season.

When he assaulted his son, he was 65.

Same age as Forster and younger than Burt Reynolds.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know the internet has collectively groaned at Disney properties entering the public domain and becoming terrible slasher movies but I welcome it. Make that Steamboat Willy slasher. Make the Disney corporation uncomfortable using their iconography.

If they shrugged off Escape From Tomorrow, they'll shrug off some lovely slasher with a guy in a Mickey Mouse mask.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Johnson gives the same performance in all of her movies as the one she gave in her Architectural Digest video.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

That is a lot of writers.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

This guy's heard of Peter Sellers before, right?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This would be more exciting if Mendes had made a good movie in the past twenty years.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Comedy movies are essentially dead

I think this had been rumored as a project in development awhile ago but it kind of got forgotten

Didn't Anyone But You just make a ton of money?

A Neeson Naked Gun could work if it's a spoof of modern cop movies instead of Dragnet or whatever the original was a spoof of.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 28, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a Civil War where the premise begins with California and Texas allying and seceding, which… lmao

It sounds extremely “British man fundamentally misunderstands American politics”

It sounds less like seceding and more like rebelling. California and Texas teaming up does seem very "Gotta hear both sides" though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some news on a few franchise sequels-

Bad Boys 4 is officially titled Bad Boys: Ride or Die and comes out in June

https://www.ign.com/articles/bad-boys-4-trailer-release-date

There is another Pirates of the Caribbean movie in development, but it is going to be treated as a reboot, per Jerry Bruckheimer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/pirates-of-the-caribbean-producer-franchise-reboot-sixth-movie

These two notes together make me wonder when they're going to drag Smith back to MIB after that reboot flopped.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

It could be really good if they're actually adapting the book and not just remaking the Arnold movie. The book is about how America is hosed with environmental collapse and a giant wealth divide while megacorps keep the population pacified with violent game shows. The main character is a guy who lost his job because they tried to unionize and he's forced to try out at an open casting call for said violent game shows because he can't afford healthcare for his sick daughter. He's chosen for the big show, The Running Man, where the player is just let loose in the world and have to try and survive against corpo hunters and audience participation in bounty rewards for turning him in.

That's exactly what it is. He was on a podcast recently talking about how much he loves the book.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's more than a couple of things that don't work in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but the production/costume design alone make it worthwhile.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Carpet posted:

Marty's next next film, after his upcoming Life of Jesus, is supposed to be a Frank Sinatra biopic starring Leonardo Di Caprio. Which is interesting news, as I had thought his next one was going to be The Wager, based on David Grann's book. I wonder if he reckons the Sinatra pic will be cheaper and more commercially viable than a film with portions set out at sea, making getting the funding for The Wager easier.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/martin-scorsese-frank-sinatra-biopic-dicaprio-jennifer-lawrence-1235973769/

DiCaprio really is ageless to Scorsese.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

Nah, that was the scene I was complaining about too. Part of the problem is the sound design: one of the Manson women gets injured right at the beginning of the scene, and she spends the next five minutes shrieking her head off, which is just physically unpleasant to listen to. The Manson killers are also not very satisfying as victims of hyper violence; unlike nazis or southern slaveowners, it's a lot easier to see them as brainwashed cult members (and thus not really culpable). The nazis and slave owners in their respective movies were also legitimate, serious threats to their protagonists, and in both cases they had scenes where the protagonists were captured and helpless before the tables got turned. Brad Pitt, in contrast, doesn't know who the Manson family is and he just kind of demolishes them without a second thought

He had a whole encounter with the Manson family and remembers Tex.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

Sure but they're clearly no threat to him. Contrast with, like, Django, where Django has a strong motivation to hate the slaveowners, and there's a middle act where they almost capture and torture him before he escapes. An underdog story is a lot more engaging than "some psychos run into Godzilla and get instantly squished"

Hollywood isn't an action movie like Django. Given what the Manson family actually did in real life, there's enough implied threat.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have people not figured out that Tarantino is an exploitation film director yet? His whole deal is making actual Hollywood movies that are bigger budget exploitation films that aren't quite as gross (with some exceptions like Pulp Fiction).

Makes you wonder what historical villain was going to die at the end of The Film Critic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

Yeah idk I'm certainly not a Manson family expert or anything but my uninformed impression was that it was a Jonestown type situation where a lot of mentally vulnerable people got swept up into a bad situation. I guess there was that mindhunter season where Anna torv speculates that Tex was trying to usurp manson's authority within the cult by committing the murders? Not sure how true that is. I would say that nazis and slaveowners are on a different level but perhaps I'm splitting hairs here

Most people at Jonestown still had to be forced to drink the Flavor Aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

We can debate the culpability of the Manson family murderers w/r/t the Nazis or whatever, but I do distinctly remember when seeing OUaTiH in theaters that I found the whole scene to be off-putting in a way that a lot of other violence in Tarantino movies isn't.

There's something about orchestrating your movie so that your rich, handsome, cool Hollywood protagonists exact incredibly brutal violence against three people that felt beyond the pale; the particular brutality meted out to the main woman and the way in which Tarantino played up her shrieking and flailing just pushed it beyond the violence in his other movies.

Three murderers.