Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is hell boy still dead in the comics

He came to life in time for BPRD conclusion series. But yeah he spent a good decade in hell over the course of 2- 3 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did they ever call back to that in Harmontown?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There might be some hope, WB made the deal with Embracer but there was a lot of doubt when Embracer bought the LotR rights as to if they bought the rights to LotR movies or just the rights the movies already made.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FlamingLiberal posted:

When Amazon bought the limited rights to the Tolkien stuff they had to deal with some restrictions, but I don't know if the contract they signed with what is now WBD is more broad

It's weird, the company that held the LotR rights for multimedia that licensed the original movies Zaents LLC only had the rights for The Hobbit and LotR for stage plays, movies and games. There was a specific exemption for TV shows lasting more than 8 episodes and the Tolkein Estate retained those rights and that's who Amazon negotiated with for The Rings of Power.

WB owns the rights to the movies but in the lead up to the sale Zaents was arguing that the rights reverted because WB wasn't actively pursuing anything with the property.

Embracer now owns the rights to make movies about The Hobbit and LotR but the rights for The Silmarilion and expanded works still lives with Harper Collins and The Tolkein Estate. They'll have the same restrictions that New Line had with making movies.

What they do have Matching Rights, which means if any company comes to Harper Collins and offers to license their rights Embracer has the opportunity to match any offer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
To highlight each movie will have one additional swear word than the last.

Five movies in they will show one tit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's being reported that Tarantino is going to be announcing his last movie soon and start filming in the fall. Working title is The Film Critic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, shoooting ran so long the contract with the car maker lapsed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

secretly best girl posted:

Nothing sums it up better than what a complete misfire the X-Files revival, in early 2016, was. The first of those two seasons had 3 good goofy episodes where everyone who wasn't the showrunner did a monster of the week funtime case, and then Chris Carter wrote a war on terror episode that was thinly veiled Charlie Hebdo poo poo and a two-parter about "what if Alex Jones was RIGHT?!" where it turned out vaccines were actually going to kill us all, literally called "My Struggle, part I & II".

I'm not making this up, he could not have created something to age worse if he tried.

He had already written something that aged worse.

"In the pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen, which aired March 4, 2001 (six months prior to the September 11 attacks[5]), rogue members of the U.S. government remotely hijack an airliner departing Boston, planning to crash it into the World Trade Center, and let anti-American terrorist groups take credit, to gain support for a profitable new war following the Cold War. The heroes ultimately override the controls, foiling the plot."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's pretty much how it got wide exposure isn't? For a while it was just Rocky Horror style midnight theater movie in L.A. and Tim and Eric got so into it they had Tommy guest on their show turned their Adult Swim contacts onto it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Casimir Radon posted:

At one point Dreamworks thought they’d be up to Shrek 8 by about 10 years ago. Then people got sick of it and they finally went and did something else. I guess they’re working on a 5th one though. From what I’ve heard people were actually really positive on their last Puss in Boots movie.

That's what I had thought too, but the last Shrek movie did over $750M box office? Lot of restraint cor a company to say 'Lets not roll the dice again' after that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was also some drama between the two because Dr Evil was just Myers doing Carveys impression of Lorne. Down to the behaviors and personality

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

So did the Army of the Dead as a franchise. Snyder is already on his next shiny franchise idea. He announced that his next movie coming in December to Netflix is going to have graphic novel, video game and lunch box tie ins.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So Cocaine Bear wasn't Ray Liotta's last movie? It's a Buster Keaton homage movie written and directed by Charlie Day.

https://youtu.be/5GV2fypnVaQ

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't want to be sex trafficked, Have Mercy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe the movie just involves a Hanna Barbera themed hallucination.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Watched it on cable a month or two back. It's still mostly ok, the cold open riffing on Cliffhanger feels weird but the Rhino scene still slayed me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's going to turn out he thought he was signing on to remake the Clint Eastwood movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

I mean Butler did play Elvis, the flariest of persons, and a lot of people liked that.

Too bad he apparently lost the Elvis accent by the time he was filming Dune.

He still had it as of the Oscar's maybe someone called him on his poo poo and made him drop it for filming?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

What sucks was the click bait headline was 'Karl Urban in final talks for cult sequel.' Got my hopes up for Dredd.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same with Tuca and Bertie. Would've hit Bojack too if they hadn't decided the next season would be the last.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chairman Capone posted:

Do any of the live-action remakes... not necessarily improve on the original, but do anything interesting or innovative with them instead of just adding a ton of CGI?

I guess maybe The Jungle Book, but I also admittedly don't really remember the original that well.

Jungle Book was just the original with a little added violence. The only thing I remember really liking was Christopher Walken performing King Louie's song and cutting Scarlet Johansson's song to save money but still including it in the credits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tars Tarkas posted:

After Fast X we will get Fast XI and then, maybe Fast XII?!? The actors ran away instead of confirming so lol

https://gizmodo.com/fast-x-fast-furious-final-trilogy-vin-diesel-universal-1850433364

Is F&F XII going to have a mini game where the new cast member runs around loudly yelling that they're Dominic Turetto?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

smackfu posted:

Does iZombie count?

Anything with Rahul Kohli should.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neet'n it's a movie about a suave well dressed author surrogate that refuses to leave the house.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

High Warlord Zog posted:

Also, I'm half expecting Will Ferrell's corporate boss character to be a Ken who left Barbieworld

he'll turn out to be the same dad as the end of the Lego movie now ignoring his daughter

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Remake of Audition where it's The Thing in the sack.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

That Thing That Thing That Thiiiiiinnng

This movie will be about the Thing playing a game of pick up basketball with itself and it's choosing teams.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's like the conservative in Hollywood talking point. "I don't have the career I want so so it's obviously not my fault."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think its mainly because Black Lightning was one of the first black superheroes and DC likes expanding a heroes retinue and supporting cast with younger heroes with similar abilities.

There's also that at the same time companies were adding more black characters to the roster there was a general movement to more grounded origins and studies about bio-electrics were gaining some attention in pop culture.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, but you know it's only a matter of time before you need the assistance of your friend The White Flight.

Oh and Black Panther has a sometimes partner named White Wolf. They even teased calling Bucky that in the MCU before wisely dropping it.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 29, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's not for tax write offs, you can only do that if you never aired the product.

It's to cut licensing fees to the production companies and residuals to cast and crew, particularly the writers and actors during the strike.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Young Freud posted:

Mira Sorvino has been appearing in a lot of these chud epics and I'm not sure what's the cause for this. Like, I get she's been distrustful of Hollywood because of Harvey Weinstein but has she also gone all QAnon as well?

People gotta eat, her leading roles started drying up when the 90s ended and she dared to hit her mid30s.

Though I gather the family isn't in the best of terms with industry considering her dad got snubbed in the In Memoriam part of the Oscars.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hasturtium posted:

I can’t believe we’re talking about 90s schlock and not mentioning Night Man.

https://youtu.be/i5LhB2X0cuA

Not an It’s Always Sunny joke, I promise.

Night Man is great for two reasons;

1. The show runner devoted two episodes to a back door pilot for a 90s reboot of Manimal

2. Despite scraping the wood off the barrel at this point, Night Man and the other characters in the same line are in the 'This is not a place of honor' portion of the Marvel Vault.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

I seem to remember Night Man appearing in a 90s cartoon but not sure what.

Ultraforce, it had a short lived cartoon series back when every animated studio was throwing money at any comic book company would take it.

The tricky thing about Ultraverse characters was that Malibu, the company that originally created the line, wanted this big shared cohesive universe so they offered profit sharing across the line to various creators. Every creator would get a small cut from the other lines to foster cooperation rather than competition.

Cool idea until one of the creators turns out to be a child molester and any revival of any of the characters would mean cutting checks to him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Also Marvel bought them and does nothing with the characters. Except for Ultraverse's Christian Thor making a cameo on the cover of a Thor comic.

That would be the last paragraph. Joe Quesada tried to relaunch it when he first became EIC and was pretty far along when legal pointed out the rev share component and that one of the writers that would benefit was known to show too much attention to his underage fans.

That's when they pivoted to a New Universe revival that ironically went to Warren Ellis.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

Fav edible moment at the theaters, Dolby imax watching Avatar 2. Didn't particularly like the movie.

But gently caress I WAS in the ocean. Trying to bat away all the alien fish.

Mine Batman Begins because a local movie critic was at the showing and spent half the article complaining about us.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

What made them think this was the one to go with instead of the completed meant-for-streaming Batgirl movie they killed? Like just from it being a Bat-flick I'd think there'd be more excitement for it than for Blue Beetle.

I imagine it was still in production during Zaslavs boot licking tour with the studios so they had time to dump a little extra money on it to put it to where they thought a theater caliber movie should be.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
About time, I saw a documentary once where I learned sloths love doing cochise on America's gravestone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Could just be the mocap work, that's not a union gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Red Delicious First Blood