Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Sitting at 50% on Metacritic right now and we're still 2 days out from opening day. Yiiiiiikes.

Between the subscriber loss and the recent news about MCU TV shows getting curtailed there sure hasn't been a lot of good news for Disney lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I think its very important to remember that during the era Bell was active, a lot of the conspiracy poo poo he dealt with was seen as more "acceptable", for lack of a better word, than it is today. Like, the problems were always there just beneath the surface, but the popular opinion was that is was perfectly harmless at the time. And pop-culture was more than happy to mine that stereotype for comedy gold - look at those kooks, aren't they silly? Surely they'd never be able to pull off an insurrection! Your Dale Gribble's, that radio guy from 2012 - or for that matter, just about everything Roland Emmerich's ever done - that's what the average American thought when they heard "conspiracy theories" back in the day.

It wasn't until QAnon found an audience and people started to realize just what kind of person was actually eating this poo poo up before public opinion really started to shift.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 21, 2023

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I bet someone could still do a pretty drat good X-files style series even in this day and age, just lean less on the conspiracy stuff and more on the supernatural or Fringe-style weird science elements. Something like a mash-up of SCP Foundation and X-Com, where you have some overworked government bureau full of operatives slowly going insane because they aren't getting funded enough to deal with all the alien invasions and eldritch horrors they're expected to deal with every week.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Payndz posted:

Carter is one of those creators like Gene Roddenberry where they're owed so much for coming up with a great concept, but then you want them kept far away from the actual writing because they'll just keep pushing 'The Omega Glory' or Spock as the shooter on the grassy knoll.

To be fair to Roddenberry, a lot of the problems later in his career were at least partially due to excessive drug use frying his brain. Even then he still helped get TNG off the ground (and then almost strangled it in its crib so y'know, world of contrasts and all that).

Chris Carter as far as I can tell has been a loony from day one, he just had more people who could tell him "no" in the original run.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Zero_Grade posted:

What a rotten way to die.

Eh, it would have been A Bomb anyways.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Isn't Kang's whole schtick is that he's got like a million different incarnations scattered across space-time? Plus Marvel's really been banging the multiverse drum for a while now, so it would be shockingly easy to jettison him and just cast a new actor in the role.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Its a somewhat common insinuation that Roger Rabbit is part of the reason Aladdin exists because Richard Williams worked on the film and kept showing off WiP segments from Thief and the Cobbler to other crewmembers in an attempt to drum up interest in his project.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'm genuinely curious about who even watched the Lion King remake - was that domestic or worldwide gross?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I get that there are people out there who like this stuff, I just find it hard to believe there's enough out there to sustain a billion-dollar franchise.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Maxwell Lord posted:

The heart attack scene still kinda puzzles me, I get the initial idea is to stop Macready blowing everything up but why then eat someone in front of everyone else?

(Also who did get into the blood if neither guy who had the key was the Thing?)

One theory I heard a while back is that he was still in the process of getting infected and the heart attack was basically a result of his normal bodily functions shutting down. Then by the time they got him on the table he was far enough gone that shocking him forced a defensive response.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Zero_Grade posted:

Looks like it's made $197m domestic / $140m international in two weeks vs a budget of $250m (lol), so I'm gonna go with "no".

Isn't international pretty negligible overall since every country has their own rules about the Box Office take and who gets how much of it?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Wasn't there a Leprechaun in da' Hood too, or did I just imagine that? I kind of hope I imagined that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Nothing is ever going to top the adaptation of Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe that one crazy theater production in South Carolina put out with its nightmare-skeleton-tree take on Aslan.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I will say one thing in the movie's favor, it had maybe the most... unique solution to a zombie apocalypse I've ever seen in any form of media, aside from maybe Daybrakers and its magical Vampire catapult (and I think that one turned out to be a red-herring in the end).

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
This has probably been a long time coming, but given what happened today and the timing of this announcement, I can't help but think this is also at least partly an attempt to control the narrative before the new release schedule really starts to taper off.

"See, we're not running out of movies, this was actually our master plan all along!"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Snowman_McK posted:

Sicario 2 fuckin' sucked. It was the movie the first one was making fun of, but completely earnest.

It's unreal that both those films had the same writer. It makes me wonder what was going on behind the scenes because it seems pretty clear in retrospect that Villeneuve is the only reason the first one turned out the way it did.

Snowman_McK posted:

Taylor Sheridan wants his franchise and, I guess, after the failure of the Sicario cinematic universe...

Doesn't he already have Yellowstone to his name? Though as I've been learning lately, "Highly successful" can mean a whole hell of a lot of things depending on what the streaming services want their investors to think, and very few of those things translate to actual profits for the writers.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Snowman_McK posted:

I recently got back into 40k (no i don't know why shut up)

Speaking as someone who's followed 40k for far longer than they would care to admit, its one of those things that comes and goes every few years like some kind of chronic disease. There's no known cure, and the only treatment is superglue, acrylic paint and a tub full of plastic bits.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Schwarzwald posted:

Notably but not exclusively Nemesis the Warlock.

Finding out about the Nemesis connection explained so much about why 40k is the way it is. Good lord, I can't even imagine what that series would be like without Nemesis.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
https://twitter.com/RedLReviews/status/1620643879300272128/photo/1

Edit: Does anyone have that one gif of Penguin obliterating some dude point-blank with a rocket launcher? I never watched the show, I don't know who he killed or what compelled him to do it in that specific way. I just know that's something that happened in that show and that it somehow wasn't the craziest thing to happen in Gotham.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 2, 2023

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
All I know about Smash Mouth is that I'm a rock star and I need to get my game on.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I watched Mystery Men somewhat recently and it’s a really weird beast. The first and third acts look pretty decent with some nice matte paintings and visuals that do a good job evoking this weirdly dark surrealist look that I still remember after all this time. But the entire middle chunk of the movie feels like they just ran out of budget and slotted in parts of one of those lovely Adam Sandler comedies to get the runtime to feature length. It’s almost entirely a bunch of cheap lowbrow gags in broad daylight alternating between a forest and what might have been the backyard of an actual crew member with little to none of the sfx the first act had. I remember one scene in particular, I think it was with the bowler girl right after the hero tryouts, and it looks so randomly out of place bad like it was shot on a cheap-rear end consumer grade hand camera or something. It’s blurry, the audios bad, the grading is weird - and then in the very next scene everything was back to normal.

It’s so weird, I can only imagine there were some budget issues going on behind the scenes, like they blew all their money on Smash Mouth or something like that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I doubt they cost that much at the time.

That doesn’t necessarily disprove my theory! :v:

Seriously though, I’m guessing the cast and CGI was where most of the budget went.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The MSJ posted:

It made werewolf women popular with me.

You sure that wasn't The Howling 2?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
We've never had Grandma Superman before, have we?

Superman: At Earth's End gave us Grandpa Superman (among many other things) so they've already got that angle covered.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Everything I'm hearing says The Marvels is doing really poorly right now. Apparently its just barely broken 100 mil at the box office post-opening weekend with a listed budget of roughly 270 mil, so unless something drastically changes then Marvel/Disney is about to eat a huge loss.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Collateral posted:

Most hyperspace/other dimension travel is made to madden the (human) observer, especially in recent space opera. At least in the majority I've read. Especially those that have god-like ai, who do all the driving and were mostly created for that purpose, before they then took over.

I don't think The Culture has this though.

IIRC Slipspace in Halo is mostly fine if a little unsettling. I don't think you even need god AI to do the piloting, though it certainly helps.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Someone really, really, really wanted another LOTR trilogy and wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. That's the only explanation that makes any sense at all to me for how those Hobbit movies turned out the way they did.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Eh, let em have a few years to get it out of their system, its a small price to pay for finally letting public domain move forward again.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I thought the whole point of 28 Days Later was that the "Zombies" were all still alive, just lobotomized to the point where all they could do is vomit blood everywhere and skullfuck anyone within arms reach. They were so pissed they literally couldn't think about eating, meaning they were all going to die out in a few weeks due to starvation, exposure, etc.

In other words, why the gently caress is this getting another sequel?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

joylessdivision posted:

You've basically described the end of every horror franchise film that has had multiple sequels. There's always something that allows the monster(s) to come back. And it's usually stupid as hell.

dr_rat posted:

Oh occasionally, particularly late into a horror series, they just don't even bother with a reason. They know the audince doesn't care why it's back. I did like the one Jason one, where someone digs up Jason body just to make sure he's dead, then jason randomly gets struck by lightening and comes back to life.

That was delightfully stupid.

I feel like they kinda reined in the goofy nonsense explanations after the 2000's, the era when everyone went to space. Then we hit the era of remakes, reboots and sequels that arbitrarily ignore 90% of the franchise because I guess Hollywood thinks we're too mature and respectable for that poo poo now (but we're really not, please give us more deranged weirdo poo poo like Malignant please).

IIRC, John Carpenter did a seminar a while back where he talked a bit about the reasoning behind horror movies turning into endless franchises and the answer pretty much boiled down to "people already know what 'insert popular horror movie name here' is all about, so we can cheap the gently caress out on advertising and still expect to get butts in seats for an easy profit, double that if its October".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Len posted:

the 2007 movie 28 Weeks Later shows that there are carriers who don't get angry and starve to death and that is how the virus spreads

so ya know, probably continuing off of that premise

Oh yeah I know all about 28 Weeks Later, I'm mostly just venting at some lovely movie trend since I liked the ending of the original so much.

It just frustrates me whenever they toss the themes and ideas behind something that really didn't need or want a sequel in favor of some inferior follow-up. It doesn't always turn out that way, there's been plenty of great sequels or reboots out there and I'll gladly eat my own words if this one turns out good. It just seems like for every T2 we get, there's like 50 more Genisys' waiting in the wings. At least we sometimes get some hilarious promo shots out of the deal, but that's still not enough to make me drop 15 bucks to see it in theaters.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Snowman_McK posted:

you can't mention that and not post the shoot

I would watch an hour long documentary about the thought process that lead to this shoot and the decision made to publish them. I know EW shoots are always famously bad but this is simply bewildering.

This is one of those things where you can keep coming back to it years later and find some new bizarre detail, like the photoshopped screaming, the angle of the guns, or the fact that they're all throwing down on a random airport tarmac for some reason (for no reason).

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Professor Shark posted:

I know some people who are reality tv zombies. It’s so weird.

At least in the case of my mom, she's very open about the fact that she thinks stuff like Sister Wives is nothing but a human trainwreck documentary and she hates just about everyone on that show. Its just that mocking something you hate, and participating in that mockery with others/by listening to others mock it, is often a drug in and of itself. I think she spends more time watching youtube videos of people bashing that show than she does watching the actual show.

Which, you know, I'd feel kinda hypocritical for holding that against her since the biggest attraction on BSS for years was the CAD Mock Thread.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I vaguely remember hearing once that Starlight Express was insanely huge in some EU country. It might have been Germany, I'm honestly not sure but that wouldn't surprise me at all really.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The MCU kept up a weirdly persistent trend of supervillains always dying or being sidelined and forgotten about. Were they going to do anything with Justin Hammer? I suppose the Abomination too also got teased but dropped. The only one they even bothered to build up meaningfully was Thanos. And kinda Scarlet Witch.

Mordo's gonna get his big break any day now baby!

Seriously though, I feel like this trend has come back to bite the MCU in the rear end more and more as time goes on. They brought back Ronan for Captain Marvel and built him up as some big threat, even though he already died in an unrelated movie seven years ago. Seeing the villain get got in the end is great for a rush of instant gratification but that well is gonna run dry sooner or later if you just keep doing that poo poo forever.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'd have to look it up again to be sure, but IIRC one of the reasons Kubrick's films were able to get away with so much is because he was so deathly afraid of flying anywhere that he basically marooned himself on Britain for the rest of his life - and since this was pre-internet, the studio execs influence over him after that point basically amounted to a few post-it notes sporadically mailed to his house.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's an attempt going on right now to takeover the board by a guy who is friends with Ike Perlmutter so full rp mode has been activated

Do you have any more details on this, because that sounds loving nuts.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'm not even sure if he's running out of money, it almost comes across like he discovered some neat new trick that he thinks is gonna revolutionize the industry. "This Shutterstock site is amazing, I can make anything with this now!"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Usually whenever someone tries to balkanize a country in their alt-history fanfiction or whatever, they only succeed in outing themselves as laughably ignorant about real politics/culture. See also that map Putin or one of his cronies put out recently that was just a list of historical U.S. land purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
His credits on IMDB don't seem too bad, but it still sucks that WB finally figured out a way to wrangle the franchise out from under the Wachowski's. Especially since the last movie was a very thinly-veiled commentary on this exact kind of poo poo.