Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

If you somehow can't wait for that, there is always this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQtxKmgJC8

For a minute I thought that was INTERNET Historian and thus got really confused by the voice for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't gotten around to watching Better Caul Saul yet so I had no idea how Mando just straight up looks like Vaas.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God knows how the kitchen would have looked.

I bet if they paid Nancy Meyers to make a kitchen decoration reality show, it would be a smash hit.

gently caress, I'd watch it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Both the A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights themes own IMHO.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed

View To a Kill is always funny because Roger Moore is clearly way too old for that role

I still find it hilarious that the last straw for him was finding out he was older than Tanya Roberts' mother. IIRC he wanted to leave for a while but that being the thing that made him go "no, seriously, gently caress THIS" makes me laugh.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I have to admire Christoph Waltz for adhering to the Bond movies' most sacred tradition, that the best Bond Villain actors end up in the absolute worst Bond movies. He can take his place alongside Walken and Lee.

And all three are named Christoph(er)! :tinfoil:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1636884770134298626?s=20

"Good Job 007 now that you've knocked out the African dignitary, take his clothes and assume his identity"

Dunno why this is becoming a news item suddenly. They said from the get go this would be an origin story and they they got permission from Barbara Broccoli to create their fully original Bond. They recently gave a talk regurgitating those exact same points and now the media is reporting it as some new revelation.

My main question is if they will have Bond voiced by a freaking voice actor that they can call on for updates and stuff instead of trying to force another celebrity into the role. Have Matthew Mercer voice Bond.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kalel posted:

uh what

Art Bell once hosted a guest who claimed that the Halle-Bopp comet had a UFO trailing it, which the Heaven's Gate cult then committed mass suicide in order to hitch a ride on it.

Personally I think claiming Bell was "responsible" is a huge stretch since (at least according to the Last Podcast On The Left series on Heaven's Gate Redux, which usually has impeccable research), the Heaven's Gate cult had apocalyptic stuff baked into it from day 1 (leaders Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles AKA "Ti and Do" literally believed themselves to be the two witnesses from the Book of Revelation) and after Nettles died, Applewhite was so erratic and depressed that it was inevitable that he would cook up something like this and Hale-Bopp was just the excuse he latched onto.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

A modern X Files would have the government give up on covering things up. Just nobody cares. So what if werewolves eat a town. A swarm of contrarian grifters will say actually that’s good and the government will use that as an excuse to do nothing.

That's pretty much what the aforementioned The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat episode posits. Mulder stumbles upon a massive conspiracy (which may or may not be real), meets the guy running it who then says Mulder is "dead"... before elaborating saying he is not going to kill him because guys like Mulder are already "dead" since the truth no longer matters and people believe what they want to believe.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

'My Struggle II' is the only X Files episode I've never seen, and when I started watching the final season I realised I would never need to because the whole thing was retconned away as Scully having a vision in 'My Struggle III'.

Carter is one of those creators like Gene Roddenberry where they're owed so much for coming up with a great concept, but then you want them kept far away from the actual writing because they'll just keep pushing 'The Omega Glory' or Spock as the shooter on the grassy knoll.

I still lmao at the sheer loving hubris of his big post X-Files/Millennium project being a failed pilot for Amazon that failed because his pitch was "So this whole show is set in Hell, it's going to be 99 episodes because that's the number of cantos in The Divine Comedy, each episode will cost 5 million and I refuse to write a series bible because i want to figure things out as well go along".

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 21, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The Department of Truth could make a potentially good 2020s-era X-File series - reality is affected by collective belief so government agents go running around trying to keep conspiracy theories like Pizzagate from getting legs and actually manifesting in the real world.

IIRC it was picked up for production.

It would definitely be great to watch but not really marketable, not just because of the conspiracy angle but the gradual implication that American hegemony itself is a fiction that the Department is propping up.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Eh, it would have been A Bomb anyways.

A BOMB?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't even say it's that but it's the simple truth that making something so bad it's good on purpose is pretty much impossible. The Room, Troll 2, Birdemic, etc all had one thing in common: a director who was completely and utterly incompetent yet so egomaniacal and sure of their own genius that they steamrolled through everyone who dared to tell them they were wrong all the way to release. Wiseau made the mistake of suddenly being "in" on the joke and trying to play up his quirks on his subsequent projects (anyone remember "The Tommy Wi-Show"?) and thus you get this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Executive Produced by Harvey Weinstein

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I too saw those clips and I'm not sure anyone actually spent money on that project.

I assume the Shrek bit had to cost SOMETHING.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Another live-action version of an animated Disney movie is coming, this time the original's not even 10 years old.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1642939466573660206

The hierarchy of power in the Moana-verse is about to change!

...seriously, gently caress off Dwayne.

EDIT: Surprised it's still being called "Moana" and not "Maui". Yet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I do wonder if that will change with the failure of Black Adam. I mean outwardly his brand will never really change he's never going to come out and be like "yeah I hosed up" but I could conceivably see him trying a less typical role for him now or/and maybe he'll have a few people in his inner circle that will be less hesitant to say no about stuff or whatever.

Thing is, Black Adam WAS supposed to be a less typical role for him. The character was supposed to be a full on villain. Then as production went on, his brand obsession and ego took over and we got stuff like in story most of his reputation being a lie and him being extremely regretful of those he killed, him never losing any of the fights against the goody two-shoes Justice Society (he is only captured because he SURRENDERS), refusing to have Shazam cameo as promised because he didn't want a goofy character in his movie and instead insisting on the Superman cameo in the hopes of one day fighting him. He literally cannot do a non typical role at this point.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 4, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened but once The Rock decided that the movies he stars in should be about his Brand more than being a movie, that's when he completely lost me.

Probably in between Fate of the Furious and Hobbes and Shaw. That's when we got the infamous "candy-rear end" feud with Vin Diesel and Rock making his sister count individual punches he got in the latter movie to make sure he never got more beaten up than Jason Statham. There are rumors he was already trying to steal the spotlight in the prior movies so I guess joining the Fast franchise is what put him on the road to becoming The Rock (TM).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

If I had to pinpoint a moment it would be Tooth Fairy. He had already forayed into the family friendly market before then, but he was still trying to at least be taken seriously as an actor. Tooth Fairy is definitely the first movie I can remember of his where he was just movie star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. It was right around him joining the Fast and Furious franchise.

Pain and Gain was after that and that was probably the last role he did where he actually tried to act. He is genuinely great in that film. Maybe has a touch of his later foibles in that he's the most sympathetic out of this gang of moronic sociopaths but he has no problem in making himself look like an utter idiot. I still giggle when I remember the scene where Mark Wahlberg is describing his idiotic plan for them to kidnap Tony Shalhoub in a pseudo military-style while the camera shows the The Rock looking utterly baffled and thinking in voice over "Danny was a MASTERMIND" while Anthony Mackey thinks "I knew Danny was making most of this poo poo up"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1649445130812661761?t=YTpGYSupbZjGC11PqosfIQ&s=19

The game is about a guy in a windowless submarine exploring an extraterrestrial ocean, and the only methods he knows what is going on outside are a display showing environmental measurements, sonar, and a camera that takes way too long to process its images.

I can see this being made as a super scary low budget film.

Can Markiplier pull it off? I dunno, I admit I pretty much only know him from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCEcWmxrRKU

I do know he has made other projects though. So I won't dismiss him out of hand.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’d think Pattinson would be hesitant to play another vampire

The headline says he's STARRING in Dracula, not that he's going to PLAY Dracula. :smug:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

When are they going to make a movie about that one variety of vampire that only sucks blood out of your feet, so the only way to defeat it is for two people to sleep in the same sleeping bag but pointed in opposite directions so that when the vampire tries to suck feet they discover a head so when they go to the other end of the bag they discover another head and they have a divide by zero error thinking the person in the sleeping bag has heads at either end and no feet and dies. Tarantino would love it.

I guess we now know what the first draft of From Dusk Till Dawn was.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is that bird underwater or is the fish in the air?

The twist is that this is actually a remake of Piranha 2: The Spawning

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everything about this remake makes me want to eat fish.

And I don't even particularly LIKE most fish (except salmon, sushi and cod). It makes me want to eat several kinds of fish out of sheer SPITE.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I hope we get Optimus as a cop who was brutalized by government goons and then got dragged out while quoting Megatron.

You can't just say that without linking the pic:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

My dream Metroid movie would still be a quasi-documentary about Chozo history and mythology like Fata Morgana. Like just literally send Werner Herzog and some Metroid accurate costumes and props to Greenland and let him go wild for a couple of months. The only requirements he should be given is that the story should generally be about a bounty hunter named Samus learning all this stuff and that she has cool armor and some random Metroid Prime lore entries to stick to for the narration like "Chronicles of the Chozo Part II" and "Small Energy Refill".

Herzog: "Bounty hunting is a complicated profession. Don't you agree?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I think Myers gets mentioned once in Hellboy 2, in that he's off on assignment in Siberia or something. Del Toro probably had an exhausting fight with producers before that character had to be put in, too (producers would ask him about the character of Hellboy, "does he have to be a demon? Does he have to be red? Can't he just be a guy who transforms into Hellboy when he gets mad?").

During Liz' opening argument with Hellboy she yells that he had Meyers transferred to Antarctica because he's too possessive of her. Pretty elegant solution in that it shows Hellboy can be quite petty and gets rid of the dude no one cared about. Krauss was a far more entertaining foil to Hellboy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This motherfucker's cold dead eyed stare never fails to creep me out.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

a budget of $250m (lol)

How the gently caress is this even possible? The CGI in that movie looks like utter GARBAGE. Is Hollywood just a massive embezzlement scam now? How can more and more money be spent on movies that keep looking worse and worse?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

2. Why is it that the last half-dozen times I've clicked a link to a tweet about a movie's release, the first reply is something to the effect of "Go woke go broke?"

Welcome to Elon's brilliant Blue check system

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the Disney and MCU production pipelines are a nightmare of constantly demanding cuts and changes so late in the process there's no time to do any real polish. And even that doesn't help when the studio insists and doubles down on terrible design decisions.

I get that explains why it looks bad but the fact that it costs more and more is what baffles me. I guess it's like someone up thread said and the VFX sweatshop owners are just overcharging Disney, underpaying their employees and pocketing the difference.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Wasn't there a Leprechaun in da' Hood too, or did I just imagine that? I kind of hope I imagined that.

Not only did that exist, there was even a Leprechaun: Back to Tha Hood

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, "Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken" sounds like the title of a fake movie you'd see on some cartoon.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Things I liked about Treat Williams:

2) Is absolutely wonderful as a smarmy hero in Deep Rising

Ok, I HAVE to get this off my chest: am I a monster for one of my first thoughts upon hearing the news to be wondering if his last words were "NOW what?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kalel posted:

off the top of my head: static shock, electro, miles morales spiderman

also a lot of black superheroes have the word "black" in the name? black panther, black adam, black goliath

I guess three is a pattern

"Electric black super hero" is such a trope that Irredeemable joked about it:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

According to several articles (and TVTropes who of course have a page for this), it was due to rights issues: Black Lightning was created in the 70s and was one of the first black superheroes. However, due to royalties issues, DC got into the habit of just creating knockoffs whenever they wanted to add him to non comics adaptations, hence stuff like Black Vulcan in Superfriends and Juice in Justice League Unlimited. From that point, other comics just jumped on the trend.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

As a coda to the discussion, you'd think that the "black electric superhero" has finally died down...then you remember that the current most popular black superhero Miles Morales can ALSO shoot electricity from his hands. Funny how he's usually left out of these discussions.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Invisible Man was great, I think about it every now and then and wish it was streamable somewhere. Always thought Vincent Ventresca would have had a bigger career.

Ventresca's C-tier career led to the most random meta gag in Invisible Man: Ventresca played a scientist in the series Prey on ABC which was cancelled after one season. In that series, Adam Storke played a federal agent who at the end of the season gets thrown in a cell. In The Invisible Man, some episode has Fawkes looking for his friends in a hidden base and after opening a cell door trying to find them, out comes Adam Storke who thanks him and runs away, Fawkes quips "I so know that guy".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Spice must Cocoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Like by being so homophobic he drove the blue ranger into depression?

Was that him? I thought it was the producers.

E: f,b